Trobow
+1|6718|Kettering, Ohio
I just bought a 7800 GTX 475/1250.  I cannot seem to get it to run a game at all.  Could it be my RAM?  I have 4x256 of generic RAM, actually it was pulled from a Dell.  RAM is my next upgrade and I am actually purchasing it tomorrow.  Is it the RAM?
uber73
+188|6754|Brisbane
hard to know, but 4x 256 is really crappy.
dell stuff tends to be pure gradeA shite anyway.  Your pc, analogous to a ferrari engine inside a Fiat Cincocento car.

you havent mentioned your processor, your motherboard etc... give mroe info.
DrakeRide55
+5|6655
I run 2gs of Ram with the 7800 gtx 256mb.  3.2 dual core.  Video card kicks ass, love it.
-_{MoW}_-Assasin
+13|6731|Australia
Have u installed the nVidia driver yet?
Maj.Do
+85|6754|good old CA
Dell Ram is OK, is this a dell comp? cause i dont know why u would want to buy Dell ram.  Yea have u tried installing drivers?
cleaned out old 1s?
and tell more about ur comp
.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
+76|6698|Gold Coast,QLD,Australia
lmfao if he hasnt installed drivers.....!
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6773|AUS, Canberra

.ACB|_Cutthroat1 wrote:

lmfao if he hasnt installed drivers.....!
fucking oath, or he still has his monitor pluged into onboard vga plug!
.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
bahahahahah, now that would eb funny, you did that once didnt you
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6718
lol drivers...
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6703
You need to provide more information about your problem. What exactly happens when you start a game? What components do you have in your computer? What driver revision are you running on the card? What version of windows are you using and what service pack do you have installed?

We can't help you if the only information we have is "the game don't work"
sixshot
Decepticon Geek
+50|6678|Planet Seibertron ;)
If you believe it's memory issues, then you may need to check that the timings are set to the slowest pair or stick.  If you're unsure about timings but still would like to see whether or not the memory is the issue, then it's recommended to set aside some time (12 hours?  a day?) to run MemTest86+, a memory testing utility based on MemTest86.  Certain tests can help determine whether or not the memory has any critical memory problem that can affect normal operations.

Pulled memory from OEM names is a trivial thing, as we do not know what kind of memory they'll put into your system until you physically have it on hand and can take a look inside.  I suggest taking out a pair and running it with just two to see whether or not that helps.  Also, I do hope that, since you have 4 sticks of memory, that you kept them sorted and properly arranged.  The off-chance that you might have jumbled the pairs around could cause some problems with the overall stability of the computer.  This isn't verifiable fact but just speculations.  Having been so cautious with how I handled with my system, I have never intentionally did so to prove this theory.

If MemTest86+ turned up with no error, then the memory seems to be working.  If you canot determine whether you have fumbled matching the sticks, then you're likely better off getting a new pair of RAM in the end.  It's less hassle and you're probably due for a new pair anyway.

Then again, it could be because DFI is horrendously picky on memory.  If that's the case, might as well swap for a different motherboard altogether to lessen the strain on the mind.  You got a mystery at hand.  I hope you got time and patience for researching what went wrong.

As a final check, make sure that 1) All power cables are properly plugged in, 2) all data cables are plugged in, 3) all components are locked in, 4) all dust bunnies were evicted from transplanted "organs", and 5) all system settings are done at stock speeds -- CPU and RAM set at default speeds and voltages.  From personal experiences, my memory couldn't handle 240MHz at 2.6v 3-4-4-8 timings.  Memtest86+ didn't say anything after 12 hours yet when I use Firefox my toolbar settings gets corrupted and I have to reset it every time.  BF2 wouldn't run completely stable and crash out at random.  I have been running crash-free ever since reverting back to its 200MHz stock speed.

It goes to show you that weird things can happen and while it can be a variety of things, the problem is trying to isolate what component is causing the problem so you can replace it.
-_{MoW}_-Assasin
+13|6731|Australia
didnt you post in the other thread that u had a DFI Lanparty UT NF4 SLi-DR Expert?

If you do, go buy new ram, DFI dont fare well with generic, DFI are very picky

Last edited by -_{MoW}_-Assasin (2006-02-15 02:03:54)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6718
go buy better ram, dell ram sux and its made in singapore, get made in taiwan ones
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
get some from that computer shop "Cyborg Ninja's Quicky Quicky Computer Hardware"
Trobow
+1|6718|Kettering, Ohio
Sorry fellas.  I have installed the latest drivers. 

And , no, it isnt plugged into the serial port. 

I have a Enermax Noisetaker 485W PSU.  AMD 64 4000+.  1 CD-R/DVD.  1 HDD.

What happens is for example;

I get random errors saying certain files can't be located (when loading from either CD or HD). 

When trying to play BF2 or Farcry---

BF2 starts normally and gets to the log in screen, then I proceeded to play a single player game.  It starts to load and then just shuts down back to desktop. 

Farcry starts up and gets to the menu screen and runs for a few seconds and then nothing.  It gets pixelization and shuts down back to desktop.

Any help would be great!
-_{MoW}_-Assasin
+13|6731|Australia
ram
Trobow
+1|6718|Kettering, Ohio
Running Memtest now, hopefully this will give me an analysis.  I am building my dream machine, but was planning on getting MEM last right next to Xfi card.  Oh well, time to invest.
Trobow
+1|6718|Kettering, Ohio
Check it out.

I have been running memtest for a few hours now and have received 3 errors, is this normal?
Trobow
+1|6718|Kettering, Ohio
I pulled some memory, and everything works fine.
AveryHawk
+6|6696|Sacramento,CA
Sounds like one bad Stick.......or a dirty ram socket....be sure to clean out the ram sockets with compressed air ...or unplud the machine and use denatured Alcohol.... Make sure to UNPLUG MACHINE AND LET IT DRY BEFORE PLUGGING IN....
sixshot
Decepticon Geek
+50|6678|Planet Seibertron ;)

AveryHawk wrote:

Sounds like one bad Stick.......or a dirty ram socket....be sure to clean out the ram sockets with compressed air ...or unplud the machine and use denatured Alcohol.... Make sure to UNPLUG MACHINE AND LET IT DRY BEFORE PLUGGING IN....
I don't think a filthy RAM slot is possible on a new board.   But it's possible that he may have incidentally transferred some of the dust bunnies over when he used the same RAM on his new system.  All the things I have mentioned ought to cover most of the possible cause.  And since we've already got a report of errors in memory during Memtest, then either it's a failing stick of RAM or a good chunk of dust bunnies residing somewhere.
-_{MoW}_-Assasin
+13|6731|Australia
set the ram timings in ur bios manually, you have a DFI board, you have to do that
Trobow
+1|6718|Kettering, Ohio
It is cool, thanks guys!  I just bought some OCZ Titanium RAM.
-=WM=-Racerx
+-3|6666|Chicago
You should have bought the noisetaker 600psu

It may be your psu. In todays systems with slix2 I would not have less then A TRUE 55O PSU.
MOST PSU MANUFACTERS over raTE THERE PSU'S.So  I would get 550 to 600 nothing less.
-=WM=-Racerx
.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
he doesnt have SLI.....yet

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard