+151|6227|NSW, Australia

k.
superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6779

geNius wrote:

superfly_cox wrote:

shameful = running up the score on opponents all year
Oh Christ; since when should handicapping be an accepted practice in professional sports of any kind?
if you really followed sports in the US then you'd understand why running up the score is considered poor sportsmanship (because you're doing it to embarrass your opponent) and a general no-no in american sports such as football and basketball.  look at the knicks-nuggets brawl for instance.

geNius wrote:

superfly_cox wrote:

shameful = videotaping opponents practices and signal
They all do it; they just don't all get caught.
unless you work for an NFL team and have some sort of inside knowledge about this then you're just talking speculation.  fact is that the patriots and their coach were fined (250K and 500K) and also lost their first round pick in next year's draft because they were caught taping the opponent's defensive play calling.

geNius wrote:

I'm not a Pats fan, but those were some pretty ignorant statements.
i've been following all four major american sports for my entire life and know my sports extremely well.  just because you disagree with my point of view doesn't make me ignorant.  but it does make you just another internet loser who feels empowered by stroking his e-penis online.
G3|Genius
Pope of BF2s
+355|6624|Sea to globally-cooled sea
I kind of agree with geNius on this one...

Running up the score is shameful in peewee hockey.  These grown men are paid to play, and paid to produce.  The better the score, the more money they make.  These teams are franchises.  They are each a business.

Deal with it.  If you don't want the score run up on yourself, find a new coach, trade some players...do what you have to do.  You're professionals.

Adapt and overcome.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6618|London, England
What do you guys mean by "running up the score"

We don't use that term here. Are you guys talking about absoloutley thrashing your oppoenent? What's wrong with that, over here. That's what everyone tries to do. If Man Utd had the chance of beating Arsenal 8-0, they'd do it without battering an eyelid.
superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6779

Mek-Izzle wrote:

We don't use that term here. Are you guys talking about absoloutley thrashing your oppoenent? What's wrong with that, over here. That's what everyone tries to do. If Man Utd had the chance of beating Arsenal 8-0, they'd do it without battering an eyelid.
there's a different sports etiquette in the US.  i realize that the concept doesn't exist in the UK, but in the US there's tradition in this sense.  also, its applicable to some sports and not others.  for instance in baseball its not considered inappropriate while in basketball and football it is. 

here is a basketball related example of this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knicks-Nuggets_brawl
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid … 2668645660

in american sports, any sort of action meant to show up or embarrass the other team is greatly frowned upon.  in baseball if you do something like dance around after hitting a homerun to show up the pitcher then next time you come up to bat you're gonna get a fastball thrown at you.  as with any sport and culture there are unwritten rules which represent the boundaries of what is considered good sportsmanship.

the patriots broke this unwritten rule of the NFL by running up the score on opponents.  one can argue that its not a big deal, but what is certain is that many will be offended by it.
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6458|UK

Mek-Izzle wrote:

wah1188 wrote:

GG Giants the underdog won this weekend for U.S and the U.K. Horrible welsh people .
I'm all for bashing the Welsh but what have those buggers got to do with this?
Wales vs England?

I watched it in O'neils or whatever you call it full of horrible welsh slags doing forward rolls on the floor, celebrating the fact they got one over the English.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6759

Nappy wrote:

where is new england
Gay isn't it?  Boston seems to claim them for some reason.  You never hear about Bangor, Maine when the Pats are being talked about.
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6638|Your moms bedroom

usmarine wrote:

Nappy wrote:

where is new england
Gay isn't it?  Boston seems to claim them for some reason.  You never hear about Bangor, Maine when the Pats are being talked about.
I suppose there is a closer pro team then Boston than? Actually there isnt, we dont live around the great lakes region where you have huge amounts of pro sports teams. The only pro teams are the AAA Portland Seadogs (boston's minor league team) and the Portland Pirates hockey team (affiliated with Anahiem Mighty Ducks)

funny you should mention Maine not being mentioned. When the Red Sox won the world series the trophy made its way around Maine.

New England is comprised of 6 states on the North Eastern Border of the United States

https://www.rfwiz.com/images/Frequencies/NewEngland.gif

it should be noted that Conneticut is considered "Yankee territory" meaning, more than half support NY teams

it should also be noted that we dont even have a major college to support except for UMaine hockey, our only D-1 team, which is made up almost entirely of Canadians and non-Mainers

oh and this link is for you usmarine

http://media.www.mainecampus.com/media/ … 5078.shtml

Last edited by Locoloki (2008-02-05 13:05:49)

usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6759

Locoloki wrote:

oh and this link is for you usmarine

http://media.www.mainecampus.com/media/ … 5078.shtml
Ya right, I saw that on ESPN. lulz
CC-Marley
+407|6826

Locoloki wrote:

usmarine wrote:

geNius wrote:

They all do it; they just don't all get caught.
I am getting sick of hearing that.  Give me proof or hush.

Also, Mr. hoodie was warned not to do it.  He knew they would be watching.  Yet he did it anyway.  That is arrogance defined.  And the league pretty much did nothing.
"I'm going to give you a real-life example. I'm going to take you back to 1975 ... I'm playing quarterback for the Los Angeles Rams against the St. Louis Cardinals in a playoff game. We had 'stole' their signals by 'studying' the St. Louis Cardinals defensive coordinator who called the plays.

James Harris, my backup quarterback on the sideline, had a red towel in his hand. Every time I broke the huddle, I would look over to James Harris. For a quarter and a half, I got nothing.

But then in the second quarter, I break the huddle and James Harris throws the red towel on the ground. That was the signal to me that he had gotten their signal that a blitz was coming, the middle of the field was open. I hit Harold Jackson for a long touchdown pass.

There's a huge advantage if you know the coverage scheme."

-Ron Jaworski
They took it further by videotaping coaches during the game. Studying it over and over. Too me it's a big difference then what Jaws said.
Reddhedd
trolawlawl
+188|6443|EE Chat
https://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa179/reddhedd93/untitled-3.jpg
It was at the bottom of this thread...ROFL
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6638|Your moms bedroom

CC-Marley wrote:

Locoloki wrote:

usmarine wrote:

I am getting sick of hearing that.  Give me proof or hush.

Also, Mr. hoodie was warned not to do it.  He knew they would be watching.  Yet he did it anyway.  That is arrogance defined.  And the league pretty much did nothing.
"I'm going to give you a real-life example. I'm going to take you back to 1975 ... I'm playing quarterback for the Los Angeles Rams against the St. Louis Cardinals in a playoff game. We had 'stole' their signals by 'studying' the St. Louis Cardinals defensive coordinator who called the plays.

James Harris, my backup quarterback on the sideline, had a red towel in his hand. Every time I broke the huddle, I would look over to James Harris. For a quarter and a half, I got nothing.

But then in the second quarter, I break the huddle and James Harris throws the red towel on the ground. That was the signal to me that he had gotten their signal that a blitz was coming, the middle of the field was open. I hit Harold Jackson for a long touchdown pass.

There's a huge advantage if you know the coverage scheme."

-Ron Jaworski
They took it further by videotaping coaches during the game. Studying it over and over. Too me it's a big difference then what Jaws said.
True, but at least Jaws had the balls to step up and say something about it, there is a reason there is a rule in the first place. Did you see Steve's face when he said that, i thought they were going to get into a fist fight.

yeah it totally cost the Pats in the long run to, too bad they didnt need video taping to reel off 18 straight games though. Heh, and it wouldnt have helped in the NYG game, cause they blitzed on every play!
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5959|Washington DC

superfly_cox wrote:

Mek-Izzle wrote:

there's a different sports etiquette in the US.  i realize that the concept doesn't exist in the UK, but in the US there's tradition in this sense.  also, its applicable to some sports and not others.  for instance in baseball its not considered inappropriate while in basketball and football it is. 

here is a basketball related example of this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knicks-Nuggets_brawl
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid … 2668645660

in american sports, any sort of action meant to show up or embarrass the other team is greatly frowned upon.  in baseball if you do something like dance around after hitting a homerun to show up the pitcher then next time you come up to bat you're gonna get a fastball thrown at you.  as with any sport and culture there are unwritten rules which represent the boundaries of what is considered good sportsmanship.

the patriots broke this unwritten rule of the NFL by running up the score on opponents.  one can argue that its not a big deal, but what is certain is that many will be offended by it.
If you don't wanna get slaughtered, play harder?
iPwnerrrr
Lets go tazy crazy!
+19|6260
Really though, running up the score isn't bad. If your defense can't stop the other team, you deserve to be scored on.

Just a little story about running up the score - My sister's friend, who plays ringette, her coach got fined - because her team had slaughtered the other team something like 44-0. So, really how are you supposed to stop scoring? Don't shoot?

Same thing as Brady and the pats... If they're up huge, what are they supposed to do? Stop pulling off great drives?
Brasso
+1,549|6628

Locoloki wrote:

it should be noted that Conneticut is considered "Yankee territory" meaning, more than half support NY teams
That's damn right, because most everyone who lives in CT works in the city.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard