RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6481|Somewhere else

Lately, I have been having ping spikes...BAD.

on servers where I always average 70-110 ping, it now randomly jumps to 800, drops back off only to spike again once or twice a minute.

I suspect it's my girlfriend during internet browsing, but there are times when she's not on the computer when this happens.  So, I know she is possible ONE reason, but not the ONLY reason.

I just uninstalled Norton anti-virus, because its a system hogging piece of shit program, but it didn't help too much.  IT did definitely help with the overall ping dropping, but not with the spikes.

I am using a D-Link Gaming router, and have an 7 meg down, 400k up, unlimited net connection.  My modem is shit, it works, just a cheap RCA modem.

I use torrents, IE 7.0, Firefox, Steam, which (i hope) don't ever run while I play BF2.  I used to wipe fresh my computer every few months, but that is such a pain, but it ensured always smooth running, and may end up being what I will do.

So.... any thoughts?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Here's something off-the-wall: try pointing a fan at your router/modem. Overheating can lead to connection instability, and with an old Cisco oven brick, I should know about overheating. I have that sucker dangling from its wires in front of my fan and it put an end to some connectivity issues.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2008-02-04 20:03:08)

CrazeD
+368|6674|Maine

RoosterCantrell wrote:

...Norton anti-virus...
First problem...

RoosterCantrell wrote:

I am using a D-Link Gaming router...
Second problem...

Try disabling VOIP ingame. I've had this give me huge ping spikes (from 70 to 500+) before, several times during a round.

Try scanning for trojans too, I've had sneaky trojans that I never knew I had lag me.
aimless
+166|6126|Texas
This happens to me as well, it's not spyware, adware, viruses, anything, fresh new hdd. It's not just bf2, I spike in q3a and vcod as well. Not the router - don't have one, not the modem, brand new.

I've been on the phone with my isp for the past few months, they don't do anything but say "restart your computer, bye!"
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6001|The Mitten

RoosterCantrell wrote:

uninstalled (Norton) anti-virus
problem

RoosterCantrell wrote:

I use torrents,
problem

I'm not trying to say that this is definitely your problem; overheating is valid too, or your ISP might] be mesed up. What I mean is that these are also probably causes, and stuff you need to check out.

You said:
I used to wipe fresh my computer every few months, but that is such a pain, but it ensured always smooth running, and may end up being what I will do.
If the ping spike didn't occur when you did this, then chances are, something on your computer starts to ping pretty bad after a while.
Troubleshooting is a bitch, I know, but the only way to make sure the problem is fixed (or even found) is to be slow and methodical.
So, try another computer on your network, and see if there are any ping spikes.
EE (hats
~FuzZz~
.yag era uoy fi siht deaR
+422|6324|Orrstrayleea
I wouldnt think it's norton, I use it and havent had any probs, unless it is automatically updating, in that case, switch of Auto Update and just manually do it once a month.

Could also being Windows updates, Or torrents.
Rick_O_Shea678
Angry Engy
+95|6755

RoosterCantrell wrote:

Lately, I have been having ping spikes...BAD.

on servers where I always average 70-110 ping, it now randomly jumps to 800, drops back off only to spike again once or twice a minute.

I suspect it's my girlfriend during internet browsing, but there are times when she's not on the computer when this happens.  So, I know she is possible ONE reason, but not the ONLY reason.

I just uninstalled Norton anti-virus, because its a system hogging piece of shit program, but it didn't help too much.  IT did definitely help with the overall ping dropping, but not with the spikes.

I am using a D-Link Gaming router, and have an 7 meg down, 400k up, unlimited net connection.  My modem is shit, it works, just a cheap RCA modem.

I use torrents, IE 7.0, Firefox, Steam, which (i hope) don't ever run while I play BF2.  I used to wipe fresh my computer every few months, but that is such a pain, but it ensured always smooth running, and may end up being what I will do.

So.... any thoughts?
Brother...it's been happening to me also.
First check for me is other programs running in background.  Music d'l, etc. 
When that doesn't fix, I'll do a fresh reboot.  Sometimes there are undetected prgs failing to shutdown, dragging the system.
Reboot, then into BF2.
Still spiking.
Okay....usual suspect for me after that is router. 
(I'm DSL with a wireless router.  Router is very secure, all others verboten, no one else is stealing the bandwidth...sometimes the unit just needs a reboot... has been thrown off-cue by a power spike, or connection wire is loose, etc.)
Reboot the router, chk all cnx, reboot CPU again, spark up BF2.  Join an empty/low pop server.
Still spiking.
Chat about it in-game.  Some players are spiking...but not everyone.  Hmmm...probably not a server-side issue.  Even some players who are idle are spiking.  Not all are spiking.  WTF random?
I suspected Punkbuster, POS that it is.  Manually update PB.  I run pbsetup.exe, which I grabbed from PB site long ago. 
Reboot, start BF2, join low-pop server.  Same deal.  Some are spiking, some not.

So I'm getting the same situation as you , and it's fairly new, month or two.  I punted Norton months ago, you are right, piggy piggy piggy.  (I went with "avast!", couldn't be happier.)  I don't have a gf d'ling at same time, so that's not it.  I still have IE 6.0, don't have Firefox, don't have Steam, don't have a D-Link router.  No other games installed.  Took the ficking CPU downstairs, cracked 'er open and gave 'er a good douse of AirDuster/Anti-StaticWipe/vacuum. 
Same. 
Sometimes it spikes...sometimes it don't.  I don't think it's my system, and BF2 servers in my favourites are now spiking.

So where we at...its not my system, its not PB, its not the BF2server...problem is somewhere between me and the server.  Using tracert, I see a bad spike at particular nodes...are they deficient?  Are they infected?  Is it worms?  I dunno...
Killya
+4|6293
1st narrow the scope of the issue down to see if it's BF2 or not.

With nothing else open, at the command prompt try this command:   ping -t -l 1024 yahoo.com  (or some other website).  Watch it for about 5 minutes or longer depending on how often that issue is happening to you to see if there are any time outs or ping spikes there. 

If it's not visibile there, it's probably the game. If you have time outs,  you are dropping packets and likely the line coming into your building is bad.  If you just have ping spikes you are where you started except you know it is not BF2 causing it.

Definitely try removing other connections and momentarily try without a router/firewall if you have AV and software firewall running.  You should also try this command from your GF's PC with yours disconnected to see if you get ping spikes there or not.
Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6231|NSW, Australia

keep killing things until it stops
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6481|Somewhere else

-----------------------------

thanks for the tips,  havne't lloked into it yet today...but thanks   karmas
Brasso
+1,549|6632

Port forwarding?

Get it done.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard