Dragonclaw
+186|6296|Florida
Tbh people that distribute GM food should be shot. Its fucking retarded, If I want to buy a goddamn apple, I dont want pork in it or other shit. This is why I only eat organic food when I can. You know the world is fucked up when they genetically modify food JUST to save a few fucking dollars. Fucking idiots.
PureFodder
+225|6277

Gawwad wrote:

More food -> more people -> more hunger
Actually more food -> less people.

Population increases in poor starving countries vastly outweigh the population change in rich nations.
PureFodder
+225|6277

Dragonclaw wrote:

Tbh people that distribute GM food should be shot. Its fucking retarded, If I want to buy a goddamn apple, I dont want pork in it or other shit. This is why I only eat organic food when I can. You know the world is fucked up when they genetically modify food JUST to save a few fucking dollars. Fucking idiots.
Please tell me this is irony.
splixx
ChupaCABRA
+53|6730|Omaha, Nebraska

Dragonclaw wrote:

Dragonclaw
+186|6296|Florida

PureFodder wrote:

Dragonclaw wrote:

You can go ahead and eat your food mixed with pig shit or chicken piss. Im happy eating real food, thanks.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6121|North Tonawanda, NY

Dragonclaw wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

Dragonclaw wrote:

You can go ahead and eat your food mixed with pig shit or chicken piss. Im happy eating real food, thanks.
Wow.

How is genetically modified food mixed with "pig shit or piss"?  How is there pork in your apple?  You have to be some sort of moron.
Snowmanimal
Not so unique forum title
+30|6534|My head
All I can say is Penn and Teller Bullshit!

Why don't we ban Dihydrogen monoxide in the meantime...
stef10
+173|6473|Denmark

Snowmanimal wrote:

All I can say is Penn and Teller Bullshit!

Why don't we ban Dihydrogen monoxide in the meantime...
is that chemical not water? lol
Dragonclaw
+186|6296|Florida

SenorToenails wrote:

Dragonclaw wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

Wow.

How is genetically modified food mixed with "pig shit or piss"?  How is there pork in your apple?  You have to be some sort of moron.
You obviously have no idea what it means to GM food and what they put in it.

Last edited by Dragonclaw (2008-02-04 07:33:35)

SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6121|North Tonawanda, NY

Dragonclaw wrote:

Actually, I think you are the one who is confused.  Since when did GM food have "pig shit" or "chicken piss" inserted?  That is one far out claim.

Genes from certain types of organisms can be inserted into plants and animals to make them grow better in certain areas or mature faster.  What is so bad about that?
PureFodder
+225|6277

Dragonclaw wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Dragonclaw wrote:

Wow.

You may be confusing certain accusations aginst processed food manufacturing with the genetic modification debate.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6623|949

Dragonclaw wrote:

Dragonclaw wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Dragonclaw wrote:

Wow.

Don't be so ignorant and read up on what you are talking about before going on your moronic diatribe.

edit:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Whether or not GM food should be eaten from a moral perspective is an entirely personal choice and should not be a discussion within this topic - it is a dietary choice that you can either choose to follow or not.

Last edited by KEN-JENNINGS (2008-02-04 10:54:43)

Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6666|Canberra, AUS

Dragonclaw wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Dragonclaw wrote:

Wow.

Grow a brain. Either that or do some research.

And quit your arrogant diatribe of 'everything I don't like should be destroyed and its makers shot/killed'

Last edited by Spark (2008-02-04 21:13:12)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6631|Your moms bedroom
GM Corn has already contaminated native corn here in maine
Spark
+874|6666|Canberra, AUS

Locoloki wrote:

Really? More info, please. I'm quite interested to see just how effective 'segregation' actually is.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Locoloki

Spark wrote:

Locoloki wrote:

Really? More info, please. I'm quite interested to see just how effective 'segregation' actually is.
going to have to research ill get back to you
Locoloki
http://kennebecjournal.mainetoday.com/n … 81378.html

http://kennebecjournal.mainetoday.com/v … 73216.html

not really much info, sorry, but i thought there was another article were a corn farmer found GM corn in a few stalks of his native corn
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5349|London, England
I know I'm bumping an old thread...

I don't get the hubbub over GMO foods. I don't see it as any different from selective breeding. Either way you are searching for mutations you like and discarding those you don't.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6623|949

I think the hubub is because for profit companies can patent different crops, push traditional suppliers out, bundle the buying of other agricultural job-related items to the purchase of non-germinating seeds, and force farmers to become modern-day serfs to agribusiness.  Should there be an ability to patent a type of corn?

From the top of the page:

KJ wrote:

The last two "problems" in the OP are what the debate about GM food should be about (IMO).  Corporate responsibility in regards to GM foods.  Corporations are leading the push for GM food - it is not humanitarian efforts to produce more food for the explosive human population - it is the incentive of profit that leads most of the progress.  Some of the first corporate-backed GM food product was corn and other crops that had increased resistance to herbicides and pesticides - allowing Monsanto to increase revenue off their Roundup pesticide by pairing it with crops that were Roundup-resistant.  Now, this (creating 'designer' crops) is certainly not inherently destructive.  But this is where the idea of contamination, intellectual property, and competition come to butt heads with the push for profit and corporate responsibility.

An introduction of GM food into areas where there are organic or non-modified crops growing is a concern, but not necessarily from a biodiversity perspective.  There would be obvious concerns over cross-pollination from GM crops to non-modified crops.  This is largely speculative, but a very real concern: if a company or person owned a specific type of GM crop and this crop became invasive and eventually became integrated into non-GM crops, what is stopping the owner of the intellectual rights of the GM crop from suing the person who now grows the GM crops through no fault of his own - punishment simply for growing crops next to GM food, while at the same time possibly allowing the owner of the GM food to profit from a natural occurrence (cross-pollination)?  Should an entity be allowed to hold a patent on a specific type of engineered food or livestock product?  What happens if the only seeds available to commercial farmers are GM seeds for crops that cannot reproduce?  Soon the average farmer becomes reliant on the supplier of the seeds for a living, and small farms become a thing of the past, losing to large agribusiness production.  This is not a stretch of imagination by any means - it is already the direction that livestock and agriculture is heading in America, much like Wal-Mart and other super chains have impacted the independent grocery and sundry business.  Surely this is an emotional argument in the most general form, but it has undertones of a detachment-digression from a production society to a consumer society.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I think the hubub is because for profit companies can patent different crops, push traditional suppliers out, bundle the buying of other agricultural job-related items to the purchase of non-germinating seeds, and force farmers to become modern-day serfs to agribusiness.  Should there be an ability to patent a type of corn?

From the top of the page:

KJ wrote:

The last two "problems" in the OP are what the debate about GM food should be about (IMO).  Corporate responsibility in regards to GM foods.  Corporations are leading the push for GM food - it is not humanitarian efforts to produce more food for the explosive human population - it is the incentive of profit that leads most of the progress.  Some of the first corporate-backed GM food product was corn and other crops that had increased resistance to herbicides and pesticides - allowing Monsanto to increase revenue off their Roundup pesticide by pairing it with crops that were Roundup-resistant.  Now, this (creating 'designer' crops) is certainly not inherently destructive.  But this is where the idea of contamination, intellectual property, and competition come to butt heads with the push for profit and corporate responsibility.

An introduction of GM food into areas where there are organic or non-modified crops growing is a concern, but not necessarily from a biodiversity perspective.  There would be obvious concerns over cross-pollination from GM crops to non-modified crops.  This is largely speculative, but a very real concern: if a company or person owned a specific type of GM crop and this crop became invasive and eventually became integrated into non-GM crops, what is stopping the owner of the intellectual rights of the GM crop from suing the person who now grows the GM crops through no fault of his own - punishment simply for growing crops next to GM food, while at the same time possibly allowing the owner of the GM food to profit from a natural occurrence (cross-pollination)?  Should an entity be allowed to hold a patent on a specific type of engineered food or livestock product?  What happens if the only seeds available to commercial farmers are GM seeds for crops that cannot reproduce?  Soon the average farmer becomes reliant on the supplier of the seeds for a living, and small farms become a thing of the past, losing to large agribusiness production.  This is not a stretch of imagination by any means - it is already the direction that livestock and agriculture is heading in America, much like Wal-Mart and other super chains have impacted the independent grocery and sundry business.  Surely this is an emotional argument in the most general form, but it has undertones of a detachment-digression from a production society to a consumer society.
I don't have a problem with any of the issues you brought up. I certainly don't have a problem with companies patenting certain types of crops as there are many different options to choose from, they simply have their own mutated strain that they spent a lot of money developing. If their improved product makes it more difficult for others to compete, tough noogies, that's progress. I don't care about traditional suppliers either. Get better at your job or lose it. Non-germinating seeds wouldn't sell in the marketplace if they didn't produce a higher profit that more than offsets the cost for those that use them via higher yields.

Your argument essentially boils down to protectionism for those currently in the market and who face competition from a source they can't compete against. It's akin to all the web browsers suing microsoft for bundling IE. Why didn't they come up with their own competing operating system and do the same thing? And yes, I know this disproportionately hurts small farmers, but they don't have any birthright to their farm or the farming lifestyle, let alone to be propped up by banning their competitors. Let them survive by continuing to make their disingenuous claims that organic farming is better or selling their products at a farmers market. Banning GE crops like Europe has done, and California is trying to do, is pure sour grapes protectionism.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6623|949

you are pretending the government isn't interfering with the market already.  Your idealist market correction talk is swell, but that's not the current condition.  Yeah, ideally we'd all hold hands and sing folk songs too.  You can't simply dismiss something as improbable/impractical based on your fairy tale idea of the way our society works.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

you are pretending the government isn't interfering with the market already.  Your idealist market correction talk is swell, but that's not the current condition.  Yeah, ideally we'd all hold hands and sing folk songs too.  You can't simply dismiss something as improbable/impractical based on your fairy tale idea of the way our society works.
It's got nothing to do with fairy tales. You've argued quite strongly in the past that you are against corporations getting special treatment or bailouts, or any sort of handholding. Why is this any different? Because it's the little guy? Please. They have every envirowhacko group on their side and all the money that goes with that. This special interest group should not be allowed to force people to buy their products and drive up food prices for everyone. None of them are demanding GE crops be banned or labeled out of the kindness of their hearts, it's big business, and they are trying to destroy their competition by using direct democracy and a bunch of lies and myths told to middle class moms that believe every scare tactic regarding their health and the health of their kids. "OMG it's been genetically modified!" So has every single product sold as organic at some point in the recent past. None of our current crops or livestock is the pristine ancestor (as if that ever existed to begin with) of yore.

They are anti science and anti evolution, the fact that they've coopted the Democratic party rather than the Republicans just adds to the laughable absurdity.

Last edited by Jay (2012-09-19 17:43:02)

-Frederick Bastiat
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6681|Tampa Bay Florida

Jay wrote:

I know I'm bumping an old thread...

I don't get the hubbub over GMO foods. I don't see it as any different from selective breeding. Either way you are searching for mutations you like and discarding those you don't.
There's one monsanto created crop that is basically engineered to die off after one season so farmers have to continue buying it year after year.  Not a big deal for the western world but apparently it's raping places like Haiti and Africa and places with unstable agriculture production.

I for one do not trust corporations to have the best interest of the consumer at heart.  They are interested in profit.  There is a difference.

Last edited by Spearhead (2012-09-19 18:19:45)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6623|949

@ jay: what are you talking about?  I don't understand how your post relates to mine
Spark
+874|6666|Canberra, AUS
ancient thread is ancient

i don't even agree with half of what i said in the OP now
~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard