Funky_Finny
Banned
+456|6137|Carnoustie, Scotland
I'm doing an essay on the above and need arguments why CP should be brought back.
Out of a class of 32 I'm the only one choosing for

Still, does anyone have any ideas? I googled but can't find any decent stuff..

Back at 4.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6157|what

It's a deterant. Stops repeat offenders.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
ghettoperson
+1,943|6653

Teehee, CP.
RedTwizzler
I do it for the lulz.
+124|6541|Chicago
If you're CHOOSING "for", then you should be able to defend it without help.

Otherwise, pick the alternative.
PureFodder
+225|6290

RedTwizzler wrote:

It does beg the question of why you'd go along with the idea of killing people if you can't make a compitent argument for it.
Jepeto87
+38|6689|Dublin

PureFodder wrote:

RedTwizzler wrote:

It does beg the question of why you'd go along with the idea of killing people if you can't make a compitent argument for it.
Both valid points!
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6651

TheAussieReaper wrote:

It stops people from murdering again?
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6134|North Tonawanda, NY
Deterrence.  With some modifications to the system, it could be made to be cheaper than life incarceration.  Of course, then there is that whole wrongful guilt possibility...

Take a look here...

Last edited by SenorToenails (2008-02-01 07:27:40)

max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6572|NYC / Hamburg

long live CP!!!
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6560

max wrote:

long live CP!!!
Cheers.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6472

SenorToenails wrote:

Deterrence.  With some modifications to the system, it could be made to be cheaper than life incarceration.  Of course, then there is that whole wrongful guilt possibility...

Take a look here...
I noticed that all the sites in the "Religous veiws on Death Penalty" are against it.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6560
Capital punishment is part of a bygone era. The concept of the state taking a potentially innocent persons life is outdated and is immoral besides. Lifelong incarceration without possibility of release is as much a deterrent as death itself (which would be the easy way out in an option between the two).

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-02-01 07:35:53)

theknuck
It's pronounced Knuck, like in Knuckle!!
+45|6616|balls
anyone will tell you that it is not a deterrant.  suprised your teacher hadn't brought that up to you yet.  it actually is far from a detterant.   most also argue that it would be cheaper to just execute someone than let them live out the rest of their life i prison.  This is also false as with appeals and the lengthy court process and $ that way.  I still don't understand that, but i guess it's true.  Obviously our backlogged courts are to blame for that one. 

I am for capital punishment.  But I realize that it is not cut black and white, but has gray areas.  I have no reason executing a person who committed murder and there is solid evidence proving this.  Say it was on camera/video tape, or forensic evidence and it was determined through the courts that it was premeditated or something along that line.  If they cannot prove those criteria, then i say no.  See, that is the gray area i spoke about.

So we must say is this cruel and unusual punishment?  Cruel? eye for an eye in my book.  Unusual?  I guess so since every state has their own opinion on the matter. 

Again, if the evidence is there along with premeditation, kill the fuckers.  what's wrong with that?  I know that if someone murdered a family member of mine, in a cold blooded, senseless state, i would rather them be executed than get to live out their life in a prison, where they could actually kill again.  People like that deserve all the suffering that a person sitting on death row knows what is coming to them.  Period.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6157|what

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

TheAussieReaper wrote:

Your not going to get another chance if your sentenced to death, now are you?

Even if you get a life sentence there can be a parole option.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6651

TheAussieReaper wrote:

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

TheAussieReaper wrote:

Your not going to get another chance if your sentenced to death, now are you?

Even if you get a life sentence there can be a parole option.
Oh right. I guess I was thinking about it the wrong way.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6651

CameronPoe wrote:

Capital punishment is part of a bygone era. The concept of the state taking a potentially innocent persons life is outdated and is immoral besides. Lifelong incarceration without possibility of release is as much a deterrent as death itself (which would be the easy way out in an option between the two).
If you think in every case there is always enough doubt then you are being naive.
theknuck
+45|6616|balls
saying that CP is immoral is another topic that bothers me and what i believe is horribly wrong with this country.  the moment that the death penalty is brought up we forget about the VICTIM  and focus on the accused.  We look at the accused and think, "he messed up", "he was sick", he didn't mean it", "we can treat him", "he can still correct himself in prison".  The moment we think this and forget about the VICTIM, we become immoral.  Think about it, you've been murdered in cold blood and your murderer is getting sympathy votes from the anti-CP folk saying that he doesn't deserve it and how unfair it is.  I think i'd be rolling over in my grave.   Until it happens to us/our family then everything is immoral.  that is what is wrong with this country.  people are sheep and turn a blind eye to violence until it smacks them in the face and hits close to home.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6560

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

If you think in every case there is always enough doubt then you are being naive.
I'm not - I'm just saying that risking the possibility of even so much as one innocent person being put to death discounts it as a decent practice in my view, not to mention the irony of killing someone for killing someone.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6227|Escea

CameronPoe wrote:

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

I'm not - I'm just saying that risking the possibility of even so much as one innocent person being put to death discounts it as a decent practice in my view, not to mention the irony of killing someone for killing someone.
There's always the possibility that some innocent person may be punished but this a rare event. Capital punishment should be used upon homicidal maniacs, serial killers etc, generally because they did it more than once and are very likely to do it again no matter how much re-education they are given in the attempt to bring them back into society. I wouldn't class something like manslaughter as am offence punishable by death, but certainly harsh jail time for it.
theknuck
+45|6616|balls
we are past the whole cruel part of this discussion.  You cannot execute someone for raping someone (although we want to execute child molesters) and something that is not a capital offense: robbery, rape, car stealing, etc.  What we want to know is everyone's reason for being for or against executing cold blooded killers who have been convicted due to concrete evidence, video/forensic/admitted evidence.  why is that wrong?

oh, and i forgot that i am against executing juveniles and the mentally impaired (retarded).  these are actual people who don't know right from wrong.  although we could clearly argue some juveniles in this sense, but  either way, no state will execute anyone under 18yrs of age at the time of the crime.

Last edited by theknuck (2008-02-01 09:17:04)

PureFodder
+225|6290
I've been thinking about this. If you're a criminal and have just done what you suspect will be a capital offense, you really have no reason to not carry on doing whatever you want. If the cops try to stop you you may as well try to kill them as you'll get killed if they arrest you anyway. Without capital punishment there's always the benefit of giving yourself up and getting life imprisonment above being killed in a shootout.
Funky_Finny
Banned
+456|6137|Carnoustie, Scotland
Whoa whoa whoa, guys... too many opinions.. I just need arguments and evidence.. I've got a few but nothing special, and I need to ace this essay or I'll fail
PureFodder
+225|6290

Funky_Finny wrote:

Whoa whoa whoa, guys... too many opinions.. I just need arguments and evidence.. I've got a few but nothing special, and I need to ace this essay or I'll fail
Well if you're after evidence then out of the rich western countries the US is the only one with capital punishment and also has the highest murder rate and rape rate. May not help you with your essay, but that's what the facts are. You could argue that the US needs capital punishment to combat this (leading to the obvious question of what's the root cause) or that capital punishment is one of the things leading to the increases.
http://sa.rochester.edu/masa/stats.php
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_m … per-capita
ghettoperson
+1,943|6653

CameronPoe wrote:

max wrote:

long live CP!!!
Cheers.
Wrong CP; the one we're referring to you probably don't want to be associated with.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard