DanyBoy
+6|5998|Western AU
so i've got a new computer, set it up and plug everything in. then i turn it on and all that happeneds is it says analog/digital in the top left corner, then my monitor goes on standby.
i havnt set this computer up myself, and it was working when it was tested in the shop

sorry if this is something obvios, but i could do with some help

p.s. and another thing, my keyboard and mouse didnt seem to be on either, but when i plugged in an old mouse that seemed to be working. oh and i have checked that everything is plugged in properly
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6694|Espoo, Finland
Well, only thing that comes to mind if it should work is that you've forgotten to plug the monitor in
Scratch[USA]
+105|6556
Wait for Commie Killer or White-Fusion to respond.
They are our local Computer gurus
DanyBoy
+6|5998|Western AU
i know its pluged in cos when i unplug it, it stays on and says "signal lost", then when i plug it in again it says "digital" "analog" again then goes back on standby
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6206|Winland

You propably need to select input on the screen. Randomly hammer the buttons on it when it says Analog/Digital.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6853|Reykjavík, Iceland.
Check that there isn't a broken pin in the DVI plug, that happened with my old monitor causing that problem.
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6694|Espoo, Finland
Which monitor is it?
Scratch[USA]
+105|6556

Gawwad wrote:

Which monitor is it?
DVI plug?  Sounds like something became loose while transporting the computer from the shop

Last edited by Scratch[USA] (2008-01-31 05:43:32)

DanyBoy
+6|5998|Western AU
checked plug, seems fine.
as for the hammering the buttons, tried it, just makes the analog/digital stay on for longer before going on standby

Last edited by DanyBoy (2008-01-31 06:18:51)

Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6547|Long Island, New York
Make sure the Video card is securely in. Take it out and put it back in. Make sure you hear the click. This sounds like what happened to me.
Snowmanimal
Not so unique forum title
+30|6552|My head
What kind of video card do you have?

Is there power needed for the video card? If so, and you didnt plug it in, you would hear an obscene sound coming from the inside of your computer.
If not, then you are all set, and nevermind these sentences.

Did you upgrade your computer and not give it enough power?

Spec's?

Hmmm, I will ask more when it comes to me.

Last edited by Snowmanimal (2008-01-31 07:43:41)

White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6561|Scotland

Poseidon wrote:

Make sure the Video card is securely in. Take it out and put it back in. Make sure you hear the click. This sounds like what happened to me.
Was going to suggest that.

Try it.
aimless
+166|6134|Texas
Does your motherboard have any onboard video? You could try it on there as well.
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6741|St. Andrews / Oslo

Scratch[USA] wrote:

I hope that was a joke
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6561|Scotland

Jenspm wrote:

Scratch[USA] wrote:

I hope that was a joke
Yeah think it was seeing as Commie killed his CPU with paste. And me with RAM.
DanyBoy
+6|5998|Western AU
could the video card have un-secured itself while packing it and taking it home?
oh and nothing else has been done to the computer since the last time it was working
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6606|Seattle

Try this:

Unplug the power cable.

Take out the RAM.

Plug in the power cord.

Turn it on, then turn it off again.

Remove the power cord.

Then put the RAM back in.

Plug in the power cord.

Turn it on again.

email your reply back asap.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
$h0ck3r
"There is a problem with your connection"
+23|6850
wait wait, before trying the above stuff. try moving the 3pin cmos to reset the bios. The exact same thing happend to me, i built it all turned it on and no monitor signal, i did that and it worked..
DanyBoy
+6|5998|Western AU

$h0ck3r wrote:

try moving the 3pin cmos to reset the bios..
umm say i didnt understand that, could u put it anyother way?

sorry i dont have a great understanding of computers
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6649|Your moms bedroom
the monitor is not getting a signal from the computer, not to sound like a prick or anything, but you turned the monitor on, did you turn everything else on too? maybe the power connection to your video card is not connected all the way? hopefully it isnt a driver issue, cause it would suck trying to fix a computer with no screen. Do you have an alternate way to plug the monitor into the cpu? Not the video card slot, but maybe the one on the mobo
G.Cronin
ĆѳŗėFцśюn
+24|6200|Contae Chorcaí | Éire
Hold on, I got the exact same problem a month ago with my new computer. All you have to do is instead of the usual lead which is a blue tip, is use the DVI adapter which looks bigger than the blue one without a lead and is gray (you should have got this with your computer) and plug the blue tip lead into that. The monitor should come on. hope it works
DanyBoy
+6|5998|Western AU

Locoloki wrote:

not to sound like a prick or anything, but you turned the monitor on, did you turn everything else on too?
lol s'ok i kinda thought that too, the no singnal thing does appear on the monitor, so i'll take a wild guess and say its on . and yea everything else was on too.

Locoloki wrote:

Do you have an alternate way to plug the monitor into the cpu? Not the video card slot, but maybe the one on the mobo
yea it does and i've tried both of em, nothing worked

Last edited by DanyBoy (2008-01-31 08:34:36)

King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6606|Seattle

DanyBoy wrote:

$h0ck3r wrote:

try moving the 3pin cmos to reset the bios..
umm say i didnt understand that, could u put it anyother way?

sorry i dont have a great understanding of computers
You'll have to get a flashlight or something and look really closely on the motherboard for something that says "CLR CMOS" or something to that effect. There should be 3 pins, two of them should have a small piece of plastic on them called "a jumper". (I would start looking near the other jumpers that the case and power buttons plug into.) Once you find it....

Unplug the power cord. Remove the battery on the motherboard. Then move the jumper over to the second and third pin (to clr cmos). Then move it back to it's original position, replace the battery, and power it up.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6649|Your moms bedroom
how are you typing to us now?
-=]NS[=-G.I.Doh
MMMmmmmmm Dooonutz!
+13|6213|Out for donutz!
Did you try booting up in safe mode? Maybe the video settings dont like to monitor or set wayyyy off.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard