Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6444|Boulder, CO
I would like some reccomendations of good broadband providers in the UK and good packages with them, the only rules are that I can only afford £20 a month max and we don't have cable in my area.

This is all because my ISP (virginmedia) managed to royally fuck up my internet last july and I've spent nearly 7 months complaining about it to them to get it fixed, this culminated in a 4 hour technical help session I had last night where I talked to about 4 different people who all suggested different things, none of them worked. The service from them was truly aweful (this was on their online technical help messenger like thingy) as we would talk for a while then they would suddenly not respond to any messages I sent for 20/30 minutes at which time I would start the whole process again as the internet was still shite.

To put this shite internet into perspective I show you this speedtest which I have just done.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/228353612.png

Though normally the speeds alot lower than that (roughly 450kb/s) and the ping is about 440.

So any good reccomendations for an ISP.
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6487|Gogledd Cymru

Zen broadband
Eclipse

Avoid Tiscali/big names.
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6572|London
AOL

srsly though 19.99 a month, up to 8gb unlimited dl. Oh and a free ps3, doesn't actually lok that bad
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6624|UK

The Sheriff wrote:

Zen broadband
Eclipse

Avoid Tiscali/big names.
Why avoid big names?
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6444|Boulder, CO

Aries_37 wrote:

AOL

srsly though 19.99 a month, up to 8gb unlimited dl. Oh and a free ps3, doesn't actually lok that bad
Wait...am I reading that right, *rushes off onto the AOL site*

HOLY HELL THATS TRUE.

Last edited by Noobeater (2008-01-30 07:50:32)

loonitic
...is a potty mouth
+286|6532|Valhalla
One of the fastest in the UK is BE... 24meg connection @ £22 a month and no limits
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6104|Birmingham, UK
Virgin, really good value if you get the XL package too, like me.
ddenholm67
DanForth Teh Pwnzer
+53|6553|Scotland

loonitic wrote:

One of the fastest in the UK is BE... 24meg connection @ £22 a month and no limits
My friend has that, has nothing but the nicest things to say about it.

Im with BT Broadband. I hate it, the promised speeds of 8MB when I get no where near that .

Cheap though.
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6487|Gogledd Cymru

liquidat0r wrote:

The Sheriff wrote:

Zen broadband
Eclipse

Avoid Tiscali/big names.
Why avoid big names?
Personal experience, I get better bandwidth with eclipse than i did with AOL and tiscali, also Zen-bb is amazing.

Generally smaller companies have better value and more time for you.
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6444|Boulder, CO

Bf2-GeneralArnott wrote:

I'm on virgin at the moment and for me its been aweful since they "upgraded" us for free, the worst thing is that they refuse to actually do anything about the internet problems we have.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6617|Mhz

Freedom2Surf broadband for gamers, expensive but leet pings will ensue.
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6104|Birmingham, UK

Noobeater wrote:

Bf2-GeneralArnott wrote:

I'm on virgin at the moment and for me its been aweful since they "upgraded" us for free, the worst thing is that they refuse to actually do anything about the internet problems we have.
Well, its been fine for me and everyone else i know thats on Virgin.
Stick with them.
jord
+2,382|6675|The North, beyond the wall.
AOL is like a fucking expedition to cancel. You don't get to speak to anyone who speaks coherent English, fucking companies with their fucking low tactics.
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6444|Boulder, CO
I did for 7 months after it turned crap all the while complaining to get the internet sorted, they've done fuck all and just given me the standard copy and paste answers then decided to ignore me. I'm a patient person but 7 months to get the internet sorted and they still refuse to do anything is more than enough grounds for a change in ISP I think.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6617|Mhz

Noobeater wrote:

I did for 7 months after it turned crap all the while complaining to get the internet sorted, they've done fuck all and just given me the standard copy and paste answers then decided to ignore me. I'm a patient person but 7 months to get the internet sorted and they still refuse to do anything is more than enough grounds for a change in ISP I think.
I can vouch for f2s customer support, had my interwebs drop 3 times (BT fault not them) they've had engineers out to my house within 2 days every time and done it all at their cost.
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6444|Boulder, CO
Ye I have another friend who keeps on nagging at me to get F2s, I should really either get their internet or kill him. At the moment I'm looking at be as I've heard several reports of AOL being aweful.

EDIT: does be give you phone service as well as their site doesn't say if they do or not?

Last edited by Noobeater (2008-01-30 08:31:23)

02fxnmaurer
+75|6479|Birmingham UK
sky bb owns anythin ......for £17 atm 8 meg as long as u have a sky tv subscription. i got an unlimited dnwload policy out of em to. Plus you get a free netgear/sagem wireless router on any package. As of next monday im been upgraded to sky max ...16 meg unlimited dnwloads as my telephone exchange has been updated all for a new lower price of £10 simply cause bt have tweeked my line.

DO NOT GO ON AOL ..... REGARDLESS OF SOME PIECE OF SHIT PS3. My friend has it ...he lives pretti much on the exchange and gets 3 meg out of a supposed 8, talkin from personal experience though, the customers service is awful ...with the majority of people not knowing wat a computer is ..most of them reading from flow charts etc etc and also you are forced to install and use the aol software (unless your capable of setting up the dialler) which hogs alot of your system resources, ur games will become slow simply because the aol software must be runnin in the background.

White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6549|Scotland
www.plus.net

and BE
PRLR
+5|5996|Northern Sweden
I dont know ANY broadband comapnys here in sweden with a limit DL. Best here is probably IMo Bredbandsbolaget (BBB) atleast if you live in apartment, and in house most available is Telia. All 100/100 if you want it so.
justice
OctoPoster
+978|6738|OctoLand
Just don't get sky.
I know fucking karate
02fxnmaurer
+75|6479|Birmingham UK
u live in antigua ...how is ur opinion relevant..?
loonitic
...is a potty mouth
+286|6532|Valhalla

White-Fusion wrote:

www.plus.net

and BE
I'm with plus net not the best though the only good thing is they have no limits (I once reached about 60/70gb on downloads in a month)
The bad side they have decided to do torrent throttling, but I have gotten around that. Plus when I was with BT I was actually getting a faster connection of 4mb but I am now only getting 3mb connection speeds

Last edited by loonitic (2008-01-30 09:42:38)

justice
OctoPoster
+978|6738|OctoLand

02fxnmaurer wrote:

u live in antigua ...how is ur opinion relevant..?
I lived in london til the end of 07...still have a flat there...and am in london now, whilst on sky broadband.
I know fucking karate
02fxnmaurer
+75|6479|Birmingham UK
fair enough......but sky pwns ...
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6549|Scotland

loonitic wrote:

White-Fusion wrote:

www.plus.net

and BE
I'm with plus net not the best though the only good thing is they have no limits (I once reached about 60/70gb on downloads in a month)
The bad side they have decided to do torrent throttling, but I have gotten around that. Plus when I was with BT I was actually getting a faster connection of 4mb but I am now only getting 3mb connection speeds
20 gig a month limit for me for £20, $40.

Scotland FTL

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard