justice
OctoPoster
+978|6760|OctoLand
Schindlers list
Saving private ryan
Crimson tide
We were soldiers
Where Eagles Dare

Last edited by justice (2008-01-29 11:03:04)

I know fucking karate
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6829|Nårvei

Poseidon wrote:

What say you? I figured this was a topic more suited for D&ST rather than the Everything Else forum.

For me:

1. Saving Private Ryan (Truly exceptional filmmaking by Spielberg...really showed me what WWII and D-Day was like.)
2. Apocalypse Now (Like above, it really showed me how soldiers act when in war)
3. Das Boot (A terrific film that shows a different perspective...the Nazi's perspective and how some of them WERE human just like our soldiers.)
4. Full Metal Jacket (Shows the strain boot camp and war itself takes on Marines.)
5. Braveheart (Details a fairly unknown war and how William Wallace led his fight for freedom so valiantly.)
Top 5 is to few imho ...

1.Saving Private Ryan - perfect script, believable and beautifully made
2.Apocalypse Now (redux) - Insane acting from Martin Sheen, the chooper scenes are just priceless
3.Das Boot - prolly the best WW2 movie ever, no other submarine movie comes close
4.Full Metal Jacket - Stanly Kubrics best movie, portrays the vietnam war realisticly for a change, one of the best opening scenes ever and more than one future Marine must have thought twice about joining after seeing Drillinstructor Hartman
5.Kellys Heroes - Definately one of my favorites no matter what category, prolly the movie i have seen the most times, used it as base for all my models and two awardwinning dioramas
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6728|England. Stoke

Poseidon wrote:

5. Braveheart (Details a fairly unknown war and how William Wallace led his fight for freedom so valiantly.)
Good God no. In NO way whatsoever does this film "detail" anything about the period...
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6659|Your moms bedroom
DAS BOOT

only movie Ive ever seen with the enemies perspective, and sympathizing for the enemy.

the actors were not allowed to go outside at all during the filming so they would not develop a tan
as a merchant marine this is one of my favorite movies

PLATOON

what you thought officers and Sergeant's were supposed to like each other?

FULL METAL JACKET

memorable quotes

BAND OF BROTHERS

(not technically a movie, but it counts)

ENEMY AT THE GATES

i don't know why, something said about being the greatest sniper of all time though! (based on a true story)

Last edited by Locoloki (2008-01-29 19:23:38)

RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6733|US
1. The Longest Day
Tora! Tora! Tora!
Band of Brothers (so, it isn't a movie...)
We Were Soldiers
Full Metal Jacket

Honorable mentions
Flight of the Intruder (the ending is far to "hollywood")
Blackhawk Down
Midway
Ryan
+1,230|6862|Alberta, Canada

Forrest Gump
IRONCHEF
+385|6510|Northern California
Band Of Brothers

We Were Soldiers

Saving Private Ryan

Black Hawk Down

The Sound Of Music
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6651|949

Saving Private Ryan
Kelly's Heroes
Full Metal Jacket
Bridge on the River Kwai
Apocalypse Now
logitech487
+16|6422|From The State Of Taxes
The Sands of Iwo Jima [ THe Duke at his best]
From Here to Eternity 
12 O clock High
=DB4D=Slight
+8|6204
OH, yes I have an opinion about this.
First, BoB doesn't qualify, excellent as it is. It is a TV series. I love it, and it is classic, but it can't count.

Some of you have brought to the attention of our Brothers here certain films. For this I commend you. Mostly, they are the ones that are obvious.
Please. Look deeper. Mentioned before in this thread but in need of bigging up somewhat.

1. Patton. - Awesome. Won a ton of awards. Don't expect major combat scenes.
2. Brotherhood. A korean film with subtitles that makes Saving Private Ryan look like Kids TV
3.Thin Red Line. Book is better, but what a story. Painful.
4. We Were Soldiers. Wish they hadn't cast Mel Gibson, because it becomes more about him, but bloody good fighting. The moral of the story?  DO NOT EVER SHOW A PIC OF YOUR GIRL  / GET MARRIED / HAVE A BABY before going into a combat situatio IN A FILM. You WILL be wasted.
5. Downfall. Hitler in the bunker. Facsinating. and very well done

Sorry to have to take issue with some of you but, ..... my list is only a suggestion and is available to be knocked over, BUT that U571 is utter utter offensive BOLLOCKS and cannot be allowed on here, on account of the fact it desacrates TRUE heroes for the sake of holleywood bullshit.  The wankers

The first capture of a Naval Enigma machine[2] and associated cipher keys from a U-boat was made in May 1941 by HMS Bulldog of the British Royal Navy, commanded by Captain Joe Baker-Cresswell. The U-boat was U-110 and the material was critical for breaking Naval Enigma.

There were some 15 captures of Naval Enigma material during World War II, all but two by the British. The Canadians captured U-774; the U.S. Navy seized U-505 in June 1944. By this time the Allies were reading Naval Enigma routinely.

The film caused irritation and anger in Britain. At Prime Minister's Question Time, Tony Blair agreed with questioner Brian Jenkins MP that the film was "an affront" to British sailors.[3] In response to a letter from Paul Truswell, MP for the Pudsey constituency (which includes Horsforth, a town proud of its connection with HMS Bulldog), U.S. president Bill Clinton wrote assuring that the film's plot was only a work of fiction.[4] A written acknowledgement does appear on-screen that the Royal Navy captured the first, and subsequently the vast majority, of the Enigma devices.[5]

David Balme, the British Naval officer who led the boarding party aboard the U-110, was positive about the U-571, ("a great film"[5]) arguing that the movie would not have been financially viable without being Americanised[4].

In 2006, screenwriter David Ayer admitted that U-571 distorted history and stated that he would not do it again.[6] Ayer told BBC Radio 4's The Film Programme that he "did not feel good" about suggesting Americans captured the Naval Enigma cipher rather than the British.

"It was a distortion... a mercenary decision... to create this parallel history in order to drive the movie for an American audience," he said. "Both my grandparents were officers in World War Two, and I would be personally offended if somebody distorted their achievements."[

Last edited by =DB4D=Slight (2008-01-29 14:22:49)

IRONCHEF
+385|6510|Northern California

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Bridge on the River Kwai
Ooh, yeah!  That is awesome too.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6487
1. Doctor Strangelove
2. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
3. i dunno lol!

Last edited by DoctaStrangelove (2008-01-29 15:05:30)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6651|949

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

1. Doctor Strangelove
3. i dunno lol!
Those weren't war movies.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6670|USA
Private Ryan

BlackHawk Down

12 O'Clock High

We Were Soldiers

Patton

The Great Escape

Honorary mentions.....The Eagle has Landed, Downfall ( German) Das Boot 9 (German), Bridge at Remaggan,  A Bridge Too Far, 30 seconds over Tokyo,
CameronPoe
+2,925|6574
Nobody has said Top Gun!
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6640|London, England

CameronPoe wrote:

Nobody has said Top Gun!
lol
PureFodder
+225|6304
M.A.S.H.
Where Eagles Dare
Das Boot
Apocalypse Now
FMJ
Platoon

Honarary mentions: the Sharpe series on tv and Band of Brothers.
Docjones
+7|6004|Connecticut
Saving Private Ryan
We Were Soldiers
Hamburger Hill
A Bridge too far
Full Metal Jacket

The Vietnam scene in Forrest Gump was pretty good too imo.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6487

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

1. Doctor Strangelove
3. i dunno lol!
Dr. Strangelove was about the idea of war between the Soviets and Ameicans. The Good, The Bad and the Ugly was set in the American Civil War. They is both war movies.
elstonieo
Oil 4 Euros not $$$
+20|6357|EsSeX
“Please Insert the Film name here”
I watched a really good German film (well I think it was German) about a young Jewish lad who’s forced to join the Hitler youth after basic training he then ends up on the eastern front, after a Russian attack he then gets taken in by the Russians as part of their squad and then again (if I remember right) he the gets caught back by the Germans. If anyone knows the name of this film please PM me thanks.

Saving private Ryan was a great film(first 30-40mins) I just wish they had shown One of the Tank crews and what happened to them(never seems to be mentioned).

My List
The Longest Day
Das Boot
Lawrence of Arabia
Apocalypse Now
Zulu

But there are just Too many
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6651|949

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

1. Doctor Strangelove
3. i dunno lol!
They is both war movies.
Nope, sorry.  Do you really not understand the difference, or are you just being stubborn?

Last edited by KEN-JENNINGS (2008-01-29 18:48:25)

Yellowman03
Once Again, We Meet at Last
+108|6254|Texas
all of those and...

joyeux noel, a french movie that documents the time during WWI when french, scottish, and german troops all celebrated chistmas together...it was a very nice movie
argo4
Stand and Deliver
+86|5952|United States
1. Saving Private Ryan
2. Black Hawk Down
3. Dr.Strangelove (the whole thing was about nuclear war)
4. The Great Escape
these are all the ones i can recall
Really want to see some of the older movies like fmj and apocalypse now
The_Mac
+96|6244

geNius wrote:

Most of these movies are from the last 20 years or so.

In order to create a best "of all time" list, you must first expand your horizons.
Agreed. El Cid was pretty good, cast of thousands, and although it is Soviet Propaganda, Alexander Nevsky is pretty cool.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard