Paco_the_Insane
Phorum Phantom
+244|6646|Ohio

CapnNismo wrote:

The Sheriff wrote:

Great books tbqfh, The Bourne series of books are better than the films aswell.
To be honest, I may have to disagree with you. But only on the contention point that the books and the films are so different you cannot really compare the two. The only thing the two share are the character names and the general premise that in the first installment, Bourne works for the CIA and loses his memory. From there on, they go an entirely different path in character background and development. Not just Bourne, but all the characters. I still have to read the last book. It's on my shelf ... but I got distracted because of a new Legacy of the Force book among others.
Ya, I read the books too, and there really isn't a comparison between the movies and books, like what the heck, where is the Jackal in the movies? That probably would have been better than making basically the first Bourne book into three movies.

And Harry Potter is good reading. You can understand why they freaking sold like hot cakes*

*I have never actually seen hotcakes being sold rapidly, and use this expression merely as an idiom.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6570|Mountains of NC

Mek-Izzle wrote:

The Sheriff wrote:

Mek-Izzle wrote:

No none of that Wizard/Elf shit appeals to me.
Liar!
I've always thought Lord of the Rings was stupid. Don't get me started on World of Wankers and Guild Wars and games like Diablo (you know stereotypical games that give games and people who play them a bad image)

"I'm a Level 45 Orc"

wtf m8
level 45 Orc ... level -2 sex life
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6225|Escea

Paco_the_Insane wrote:

CapnNismo wrote:

The Sheriff wrote:

Great books tbqfh, The Bourne series of books are better than the films aswell.
To be honest, I may have to disagree with you. But only on the contention point that the books and the films are so different you cannot really compare the two. The only thing the two share are the character names and the general premise that in the first installment, Bourne works for the CIA and loses his memory. From there on, they go an entirely different path in character background and development. Not just Bourne, but all the characters. I still have to read the last book. It's on my shelf ... but I got distracted because of a new Legacy of the Force book among others.
Ya, I read the books too, and there really isn't a comparison between the movies and books, like what the heck, where is the Jackal in the movies? That probably would have been better than making basically the first Bourne book into three movies.

And Harry Potter is good reading. You can understand why they freaking sold like hot cakes*

*I have never actually seen hotcakes being sold rapidly, and use this expression merely as an idiom.
My dad said he had the Bourne book, but can't find it, but then again Bourne movies = win
Ryan
+1,230|6845|Alberta, Canada

I read the first one and the fourth one. Lost interest, and if I really needed to know what happened next, I got the stupid movies.
Emil
Teh strogg!
+205|6481|Trondheim, Norway
You should god damn look forward to 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th. They are way much better than the 3 first.
In the end of number 7 I had to put the book away a couple of times and just concentrate on making my breathing go as usual (I was so excited I thought I would get a heartattack )

Problem with the movies is that they haven't enough time to get everything in, not even all the important stuff, so it gets more like a summary, which sucks
PspRpg-7
-
+961|6700

Read all the books, seen all the movies. Have yet to be disappointed.
SamTheMan:D
Banned
+856|5976|England

I don't read books tbh + I think the films are pathetic.
TheDarkRaven
ATG's First Disciple
+263|6626|Birmingham, UK

TheDarkRaven wrote:

*Gets his copy of the the original Harry Potter book (not even a first edition) which he corrected at speed when he was 11 when he didn't actually even know what proof-reading was*
Oh, yes - so that was why it's terrible! She can't write English that has any value and her publishers can't be bothered to hire any kind of decent proof-reader or copy-editor because people will lap it up for the simple reason that it's "popular"...
I loathe Harry Potter for the degrading of the English language that it represents.

EDIT: But, to her credit, she can present a fair and rather engaging plot. I'd much prefer to be reading the Bartimaeus or Inkheart trilogies, though - please, if you appreciate books, especially fantasy, then go and read these and you will realise how atrocious Harry Potter is.
I am wondering why I haven't been lynched yet - damn, I must be extremely bored.

But yes, for the people who say that the Bourne books are good they are in the same vein as the Halo books, but a bit more high-brow with slightly more in-depth character progression and a more substantial, shall we say?, plot to them. I'd also care to point out that, while they aren't superb, the Bourne books are well worth a look if you enjoyed the films and would like an easily accessible series with the opportunity for more thought-provoking writing.
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6554|Scotland

TheDarkRaven wrote:

White-Fusion wrote:

avman633 wrote:

They were good. Didn't read the 7th one though.
Wut!

How can you do that.

I can't stop reading a crap book either. NEED to find out the ending or it bugs me.
You mean you can't guess them? Such books follow a fairly linear and easy to figure out plot - by about half-way a very good approximation of such literature can usually be surmised (and just flick through to the end if it really annoys you).
Nah I don't get the full story then.
TheDarkRaven
ATG's First Disciple
+263|6626|Birmingham, UK

White-Fusion wrote:

TheDarkRaven wrote:

White-Fusion wrote:

Wut!

How can you do that.

I can't stop reading a crap book either. NEED to find out the ending or it bugs me.
You mean you can't guess them? Such books follow a fairly linear and easy to figure out plot - by about half-way a very good approximation of such literature can usually be surmised (and just flick through to the end if it really annoys you).
True, but it's a crap book so this begs the question - why would you want to?
=DB4D=Slight
+8|6187
ignore the morons, and read books. Best thing you can ever do. Harry Potter should just be enough to let you know there is a world of fucking fantastic literature out there, some of it Centuries old.
Don't forget though, it is still very important that you get on-line between books and blow those fuckers away to hell!!
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6554|Scotland

TheDarkRaven wrote:

White-Fusion wrote:

TheDarkRaven wrote:

Because even though its crap, it nags away at me what happens at the end... or if maybe it gets good... or maybe some thing happens that affects me alot and changes my life... things like that.

I read fast and have 5 hours a day free time on bus's so it doesn't take me long.
TheDarkRaven
ATG's First Disciple
+263|6626|Birmingham, UK

White-Fusion wrote:

TheDarkRaven wrote:

White-Fusion wrote:

Because even though its crap, it nags away at me what happens at the end... or if maybe it gets good... or maybe some thing happens that affects me alot and changes my life... things like that.

I read fast and have 5 hours a day free time on bus's so it doesn't take me long.
Fair enough, I suppose. But if you have so much free time, I would sincerely recommend the Bartimaeus or Inkheart series of books, really I would.
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6554|Scotland

TheDarkRaven wrote:

White-Fusion wrote:

TheDarkRaven wrote:

Fair enough, I suppose. But if you have so much free time, I would sincerely recommend the Bartimaeus or Inkheart series of books, really I would.
Bartimaeus?

Ptolemeys gate?

Read the first book in series about 2-3 years ago. Loved it.

Got Ptolmeys gate for Xmas a while ago but haven't read it as don't remember every part of the first.

You would recommenced to read all three?
TheDarkRaven
ATG's First Disciple
+263|6626|Birmingham, UK

White-Fusion wrote:

TheDarkRaven wrote:

White-Fusion wrote:

Bartimaeus?

Ptolemeys gate?

Got Ptolmeys gate for Xmas a while ago but haven't read it as don't remember every part of the first.

That's the series!
Oh, indeed, I would thoroughly recommend the trilogy entire as the standard or writing it excellent for its genre and the plot is superb and has a wonderful quality of depth to it. Given its genre I suppose it should be aimed towards children; but its such a rewarding book for adults in a host of ways.
Truly one of my most favourite series of books ever - wonderful reading.

(The Inkheart series is possibly slightly more childish, but also excellent)
SgtSlutter
Banned
+550|6640|Amsterdam, NY

usmarine wrote:

Mek-Izzle wrote:

I'm not into that Elf shit
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6554|Scotland

TheDarkRaven wrote:

White-Fusion wrote:

TheDarkRaven wrote:

Bartimaeus?

Ptolemeys gate?

That's the series!
Oh, indeed, I would thoroughly recommend the trilogy entire as the standard or writing it excellent for its genre and the plot is superb and has a wonderful quality of depth to it. Given its genre I suppose it should be aimed towards children; but its such a rewarding book for adults in a host of ways.

Have you read The Northern Lights by Phillup Pullman?

If not I would recommend them as highly as you recommenced your books.

I would even buy the series and read them if you read The Northern Lights.
TheDarkRaven
ATG's First Disciple
+263|6626|Birmingham, UK

White-Fusion wrote:

TheDarkRaven wrote:

White-Fusion wrote:

Bartimaeus?

Ptolemeys gate?

That's the series!

Strange, how I invariably go against convention.
I believe I was 12, 13 or so when I started reading The Northern Lights - I got 5 or 6 pages in and then came to an abrupt halt.
The books never absorbed me, and this was at the time that I adored Arthur C Clarke's and George Orwell's works. I konw Pullman is supposed ot be a wonder of the modern age of literature... but his writing lacks something for me. Quite strange, I suppose. Perhaps I should borrow it from the library just to see what it's like, but... I doubt if I'll like it.
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6554|Scotland

TheDarkRaven wrote:

White-Fusion wrote:

TheDarkRaven wrote:

That's the series!

I believe I was 12, 13 or so when I started reading The Northern Lights - I got 5 or 6 pages in and then came to an abrupt halt.
The books never absorbed me, and this was at the time that I adored Arthur C Clarke's and George Orwell's works. I konw Pullman is supposed ot be a wonder of the modern age of literature... but his writing lacks something for me. Quite strange, I suppose. Perhaps I should borrow it from the library just to see what it's like, but... I doubt if I'll like it.
I read the Lord of the Rings at the same age and didn't like it at all.

I am know on the verge of re-reading as it is meant to be amazing.

How old are you now?

I would really really suggest reading the first few chapters and seeing what you think.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6502|so randum

White-Fusion wrote:

TheDarkRaven wrote:

White-Fusion wrote:

How old are you now?

I would really really suggest reading the first few chapters and seeing what you think.
Have you mentioned me yet?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6554|Scotland

FatherTed wrote:

White-Fusion wrote:

TheDarkRaven wrote:

How old are you now?

I thought of you as I wrote most the posts <3

FatherTed can back me up with how good the books are tbh.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6502|so randum

White-Fusion wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

White-Fusion wrote:

How old are you now?

I thought of you as I wrote most the posts <3

FatherTed can back me up with how good the books are tbh.
Give me a minute while i get a brew and roll a smoke x

Right.

To start, EPIC trilogy.

Andy, you WILL love them now you're older, it appeals more to a mature teenage mind. It raises interesting points and parallels with Faith, or more precisely, the Christian faith.

Best book of the three is the Amber Spyglass, it sums up all the different plots in the previous books, and introduces a nice coming-of-age story.

I'm not typing much cause i'm shattered, but trust me, re-read them!

Last edited by FatherTed (2008-01-29 15:00:12)

Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
LtMarcus
+10|6589|Meise, Belgium
I started reading them exactely a week ago and i must say that i, too love them.
It's been a while since i lol'd at a book.
Also, I think that it just isn't possible to get a book into a movie of the same quality.
Despite the fact that they look so much alike as a medium, some things as being able to sum op a load of details just can't be done in a movie without getting boring.
Still, I think the movies (especially the last two) are great entertainment.
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6708

Redgrave wrote:

*Gets his copy of the the original Harry Potter book (not even a first edition) which he corrected at speed when he was 11 when he didn't actually even know what proof-reading was*
Oh, yes - so that was why it's terrible! She can't write English that has any value and her publishers can't be bothered to hire any kind of decent proof-reader or copy-editor because people will lap it up for the simple reason that it's "popular"...
I loathe Harry Potter for the degrading of the English language that it represents.
"I loathe Harry Potter for the degrading of the English language that it represents"  Don't you mean "for the degradation of the English language it represents"?  Even that would be a bit of an awkward sentence...

You obviously haven't read many of the classics then...  I am known as somewhat of a grammar freak, and, unlike most books, I found Harry Potter to have very few mistakes that could be considered unforgivable.  Unforgivable, being the kind of mistakes you made in your last sentence of course.

Damn hyppocrites...*grumble..grumble*
Funky_Finny
Banned
+456|6134|Carnoustie, Scotland

SEREMAKER wrote:

theres not a flame suit on earth that will protect you from this one

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e320/ … e_suit.jpg
Agreed. Harry Potter is gay and childish.

And ugly.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard