• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • quick look please (Evaluate if my build-it-myself computer will work)
Icetoocool
+2|6172|Devon England
what about this.
do  you think this will work, is everything compatable with the case, and do i require any additional fans/can u recomend.

Product Name Qty Price Line Total
NZXT Hush Classic Series Silent Midi-Tower Case - Black  £56.99
(£66.96)  £56.99
(£66.96)
G.Skill 4GB DDR2 PQ PC2-6400C5 (2x2GB) CAS5 Dual Channel Kit (F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ)  £59.99
(£70.49)  £59.99
(£70.49)
Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 "Energy Efficient SLACR 95W Edition" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - OEM  £135.99
(£159.79)  £135.99
(£159.79)
BFG GeForce 8800 GTS OC 512MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail  £174.99
(£205.61)  £174.99
(£205.61)
OCZ GameXStream 850w Silent SLI Ready ATX2 Power Supply  £87.99
(£103.39)  £87.99
(£103.39)
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer 7.1 Sound Card - OEM (30SB073000002)  £43.99
(£51.69)  £43.99
(£51.69)
Samsung SpinPoint T 500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (HD501LJ)  £56.99
(£66.96)  £56.99
(£66.96)
Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4 Intel X38 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard  £109.99
(£129.24)  £109.99
(£129.24)
     Sub Total :  £726.92
Shipping cost assumes delivery to UK Mainland with:
City Link Parcel Next Day (Delivered Mon-Fri)
(This can be changed during checkout) Shipping :  £10.95
VAT is being charged at 17.5% VAT :  £129.13
  Total :  £867.00
CrazeD
+368|6698|Maine
Did you not read my PM?
Point&Shoot
Tank Whore
+52|6572|Canada
AMD CPU is less expensive and less heat, and Intel sux in principle.

But seriously Seagate Barracuda HDD usually test as some of the fastest when compared to similar HDD, they usually also have NCQ and 32MB Cache.

I'm not sure if that is cheap for RAM or not, but don't buy cheap stuff.  Crucial or Kingston are usually pretty good.

*edit*
As to the OP and possible cooling issues, if you don't plan to overclock, usually just the fans that come with the case and CPU are adequate.  If you don't mind the extra noise, you could add a few fans, most cases can support a few extras.  But it usually does add a bit of noise.

Last edited by Point&Shoot (2008-01-28 15:09:39)

Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6764|Toronto | Canada

Point&Shoot wrote:

lmao
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6468|Stealth City, UK

Point&Shoot wrote:

LOL wut?
ReDevilJR
+106|6377
G. Skill is good. I like it.
Point&Shoot
Tank Whore
+52|6572|Canada
AMD as far as speed is equal or better than Intel, but usually 20%-40% cheaper.  And they use less voltage and produce less heat.  Intel almost has a monopoly on the market so they don't have to try as hard.  The same way that MS is a beast, I won't but from either.  Of course they both have their fingers in a lot of areas so it's almost impossible to avoid it.  But one has to do what one can.
Icetoocool
+2|6172|Devon England

CrazeD wrote:

Did you not read my PM?
Sorry Crazed got it now, just a quick one i am going to buy 8800 gts graphics card, but the motherbored is a x38 which supports crossfire will it support sli as well?
CrazeD
+368|6698|Maine

Point&Shoot wrote:

AMD as far as speed is equal or better than Intel, but usually 20%-40% cheaper.
Dude, what are you smoking bro?

AMD is cheaper, yes, but it is definitely not equal or faster than Intel. Don't be stupid.

By the way, the Samsung Spinpoint is one of the fastest HDD's available right now.

And did you just say Kingston was better than G.Skill?

Hahaha. you guys crack me up.

EDIT:

Icetoocool wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

Did you not read my PM?
Sorry Crazed got it now, just a quick one i am going to buy 8800 gts graphics card, but the motherbored is a x38 which supports crossfire will it support sli as well?
Nope, the Intel chipsets do not support SLi. If you want to run SLi you'll have to go with the 680i/780i (like the first board you showed me). Sorry, I forgot to tell you about this.

Last edited by CrazeD (2008-01-28 15:16:35)

bf2gammer
+14|6246
amd cpus that are clocked the same as intel dont have the same performance
CrazeD
+368|6698|Maine

bf2gammer wrote:

amd cpus that are clocked the same as intel dont have the same performance
AMD's clocked faster than Intel don't have the same performance.
jaymz9350
+54|6603

Point&Shoot wrote:

AMD as far as speed is equal or better than Intel, but usually 20%-40% cheaper.  And they use less voltage and produce less heat.  Intel almost has a monopoly on the market so they don't have to try as hard.  The same way that MS is a beast, I won't but from either.  Of course they both have their fingers in a lot of areas so it's almost impossible to avoid it.  But one has to do what one can.
sorry bro but you are mistaken.  Yes AMD does have the price advantage but not at all the performance and this has been true since the C2D was released.  And no i'm not an intel fanboy, i have always been an AMD guy but my next pc (hopefully the next couple weeks) will be an Intel.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6593|NYC / Hamburg

looks great, don't listen to point&shoot. He speaks pure BS. Right now nothing will beat an q6600 in price/performance, or performance if you exclude the higher clocked intel quads. I personally would get another case, but thats just me. The rest is great

Your mobo doesn't support SLI, but unless you really wanna go SLI, stick to an Intel chipset
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
02fxnmaurer
+75|6508|Birmingham UK
amd = shite

even the newer dual cores can beat amd's quad cores
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6479|The Twilight Zone

02fxnmaurer wrote:

amd = shite

https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
max
Vela Incident

02fxnmaurer wrote:

amd = shite

AMD has completely lost the high end segment, but for cheap PCs for browsing the internet, office, ... they can be a good choice. I suppose the quads even make sense if you upgrade from a K8 AM2 rig
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
geNius
..!.,
+144|6468|SoCal

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Point&Shoot wrote:

lmao
The Q6600 will easily overclock to 3.0gHz on stock cooling.

Last edited by geNius (2008-01-28 16:33:37)

https://srejects.com/genius/srejects.png
02fxnmaurer
+75|6508|Birmingham UK
it all depends what ur in market for ...when i brought my rig like 2 weeks ago ..it was price i was tryin to bring down...so i went for the e6750 for 65 quid ...which i got through my student discount which tbh is a friggin bargain ...it does what i want  and i havent noticed any slow down even during heavy use of programmes...an even though its almost a year old ...its still better than the latest amd dual cores coming out.

but seriousli ...go for the q6600 intel know what there doing ...and its exactli the processor i would of brought if i had more money.

max
Vela Incident

02fxnmaurer wrote:

it all depends what ur in market for ...when i brought my rig like 2 weeks ago ..it was price i was tryin to bring down...so i went for the e6750 for 65 quid ...which i got through my student discount which tbh is a friggin bargain ...it does what i want  and i havent noticed any slow down even during heavy use of programmes...an even though its almost a year old ...its still better than the latest amd dual cores coming out.

but seriousli ...go for the q6600 intel know what there doing ...and its exactli the processor i would of brought if i had more money.

fair enough, if you want to bring down prices and only play multicore unoptimized games a normal C2D can make a lot of sense. But in terms of future proofing nothing beats a q6600, especially since they easily overclock to at least 3.0GHz
02fxnmaurer
+75|6508|Birmingham UK
ill upgrade its fine....ill just wait till the newer processors drive the price of the quad cores down
max
Vela Incident

02fxnmaurer wrote:

ill upgrade its fine....ill just wait till the newer processors drive the price of the quad cores down
right now, upgrading from a e6750 to a q6600 makes little sense for a gaming PC. If I were you, I'd wait until the generation after the current 45nm CPUs. Shouldn't take *that* long
Icetoocool
+2|6172|Devon England

CrazeD wrote:

Point&Shoot wrote:

AMD as far as speed is equal or better than Intel, but usually 20%-40% cheaper.
Dude, what are you smoking bro?

AMD is cheaper, yes, but it is definitely not equal or faster than Intel. Don't be stupid.

By the way, the Samsung Spinpoint is one of the fastest HDD's available right now.

And did you just say Kingston was better than G.Skill?

Hahaha. you guys crack me up.

EDIT:

Icetoocool wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

Did you not read my PM?
Nope, the Intel chipsets do not support SLi. If you want to run SLi you'll have to go with the 680i/780i (like the first board you showed me). Sorry, I forgot to tell you about this.
What do you guys recommend, going for a SLI compatable motherboard, so that i can have dual 8800 gts graphics cards, or getting x38 motherboard and just have one 8800 gts.
Lai
+186|6177

Point&Shoot wrote:

True, but the only AMD CPU that matches a Intel Quad at a reasonable price is a Phenom and currently they have some serious issues. So he should either get the Intel CPU anyway or wait for the Phenom xx50 line.

If you wait for a Phenom xx50 you'll have something better and cheaper than Intel
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6591|Area 51
Samsung Spinpoint FTW! I've got 2 and they be sweet
CrazeD
+368|6698|Maine

Lai wrote:

Point&Shoot wrote:

True, but the only AMD CPU that matches a Intel Quad at a reasonable price is a Phenom and currently they have some serious issues. So he should either get the Intel CPU anyway or wait for the Phenom xx50 line.

If you wait for a Phenom xx50 you'll have something better and cheaper than Intel
The Phenom gets pwned by Intel duallies, not to mention the spanking it gets from the quads. Sure AMD might be coming out with better revised versions, but remember that Intel is also coming out with Nalahem and Penryn, which will be native quads and have onboard memory controllers. AMD loses any and all advantage at this point.

Icetoocool: The decision is yours dude. It ultimately depends if you want to overclock a lot. Either board will overclock very well, but the Intel chipsets overclock better and stay cooler than the nVidia ones. You can't go wrong with either board, so if you think you might want SLi go ahead and grab the 680i or 780i.
  • Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • quick look please (Evaluate if my build-it-myself computer will work)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard