Poll

What is worse?

Appeasement47%47% - 38
Millions of dead people52%52% - 42
Total: 80
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6756|Argentina
You have to pick one of those options.  Which one is worse in your opinion?  My definition of appeasement is an attempt to pacify an enemy by granting some concessions, even at the expense of some principles.  If you could avoid a war being an appeaser and save millions of lives, what would you do?  If you could solve the terrorism problem being an appeaser and by doing this you could save millions of lives, what would you do?  Again, appeasement doesn't mean you would let your enemy take control of your country or something.  So, what is worse?

Edit: Ok, given the fact that everyone wants details on what concessions you are making, I'll present some scenarios:

A-You must call terrorism anti-Islamic activities.
B-You must remove some missiles from the border of a country far away from home.
C-You must recognize the independence of a Middle East state.
D-You must take your support to a Middle East state away.
E-You must set a bunch of terrorists free from jail.
F-You must give your liberty away.

Last edited by sergeriver (2008-01-28 04:09:28)

B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6839|Cologne, Germany

boy, that's a tough one. I'd say it depends on the "concessions" that you would make. If they're are less important than the lives of millions of people, and appeasement was guaranteed to work, then I'd say the millions of dead people are worse.

It all depends on who you are dealing with, and what you give up for what you get. Appeasement may work, under the right circumstances.

out of principality, however, appeasement is worse. But as we have learned, different people have different views on what exactly appeasement is.

consequently, null vote for me.
Left_hand
Banned
+11|6164|Westminster, California
Appeasement.  It contains peas and i like peas.

....Who in the hell is voting for million of dead people?

Last edited by Left_hand (2008-01-28 03:32:11)

superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6780

@serge: appeasement can only be considered within the context of a specific event or moment, not globally as you are doing.  Schuss is absolutely right in his post.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6756|Argentina

superfly_cox wrote:

@serge: appeasement can only be considered within the context of a specific event or moment, not globally as you are doing.  Schuss is absolutely right in his post.
Not really.  The question is simple, if you don't appease millions will die, if you do nobody will.  Quite simple, isn't it?
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6808|Nårvei

You can't boil it down to a choice between the two serge, it is way more complex than that ...

Was it wrong for Chamberlain to appease the nazis, in a historic perspective yes but at the time it might have seemed like a feeble attempt of diplomacy.
Edit: So null vote from me

Last edited by Varegg (2008-01-28 03:50:48)

Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6645
Give me liberty or give me death.
B.Schuss

sergeriver wrote:

superfly_cox wrote:

Not really.  The question is simple, if you don't appease millions will die, if you do nobody will.  Quite simple, isn't it?
not really. it depends on what you'd have to give up for those millions to be saved from annihilation.

Maybe you could present a specific example. Then we can judge better wether it's really worth to appease or not.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6554
Depends on what the consequences of appeasement are for you.
B.Schuss

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

unless you live in Iraq, of course. Then it's death both ways...

yeah, I know, cheap shot. sorry 'bout that.

But it's always easy for us to say that, sitting in our comfy armchairs, isn't it ?
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6756|Argentina

CameronPoe wrote:

Nobody would die.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6756|Argentina

B.Schuss wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

superfly_cox wrote:

not really. it depends on what you'd have to give up for those millions to be saved from annihilation.

Maybe you could present a specific example. Then we can judge better wether it's really worth to appease or not.
No example here.  Two options: you appease nobody dies, you don't millions die.  Consequences: you imagine them.
Varegg
+2,206|6808|Nårvei

sergeriver wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Nobody would die.
It doesn't work that way Serge, maybe short term when you pay off a ransom to free a hostage but it will again have consequenses that others may be kidnapped ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6645

B.Schuss wrote:

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

unless you live in Iraq, of course. Then it's death both ways...

yeah, I know, cheap shot. sorry 'bout that.

But it's always easy for us to say that, sitting in our comfy armchairs, isn't it ?
true, plus my chair is super comfy
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6756|Argentina

Varegg wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Nobody would die.
It doesn't work that way Serge, maybe short term when you pay off a ransom to free a hostage but it will again have consequenses that others may be kidnapped ...
It's a dilemma.  You don't need details regarding the concessions you are doing.  You choose to appease or not, you choose to kill millions of people or not, that's it.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6554

sergeriver wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Nobody would die.
Appeasement could entail living unfree - perhaps with your own death being preferable to life - so again the decision would have to be circumstance related.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-01-28 04:02:05)

Varegg
+2,206|6808|Nårvei

What is your intention with this thread Serge, you obviously aren't getting what you are after so please explain ...
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6619|London, England
If the case goes that Appeasing would result in no deaths, like you said, than it's obvious to do that.

Of course, it's never been like that IRL.

Appeasing the Nazi's wouldn't have resulted in no deaths (they would've still commited genocide on various groups)

Appeasing Islamic terrorists wouldn't really work, but unlike the Nazis neither would fighting them. So you're generally stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to dealing with Muslims.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6756|Argentina
OP updated.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6653

A- I would appease to that. If I didn't and had to fight, wouldn't I be called a terrorist because I was going against Islam?
B- Appease; we weren't going to use them anyway, they were there as a symbol (but then what would happen if we took that symbol away?)
C- Depends on the political climate and what other nations think; if we recognized a state's independence, would it result in many other countries going against us and costing millions of lives in the future?
D- Same as above.
E- Millions of dead people; not only is there the threat of continued terrorism if we release them, we'd be seen as a weak country that bows down to terrorists and gives in to their demands; plus, what would the public think of this? The gov't would lose a lot of support (or whatever it has left)
F- Fight to the death, seriously. I'd rather die fighting for freedom than live without it.

Looks like it's a tie for me... (but I voted millions of dead people when the topic was first created, probably because what came to mind were situations involving E and F)

However, in terms of answering "which is worse", it would seem "millions of dead people" would be, simply because that's a guaranteed result (at least according to this skewed thread) as opposed to something that doesn't have any clear consequences or results in mass death.

Last edited by mtb0minime (2008-01-28 04:19:55)

Varegg
+2,206|6808|Nårvei

sergeriver wrote:

No problem with that one, but it is a matter of definition not really appeasement

sergeriver wrote:

B-You must remove some missiles from the border of a country far away from home.
No problem with that either seing as i shouldn't have had any missiles there in the first place.

sergeriver wrote:

C-You must recognize the independence of a Middle East state.
If as a result of a democratic process with concensus in the UN yes i would as i would the same if the country wasn't located in the ME.

sergeriver wrote:

D-You must take your support to a Middle East state away.
Depends on why i had to take it away or why i supported them in the first place.

sergeriver wrote:

E-You must set a bunch of terrorists free from jail.
If the said terrorists have gone through a just trial and found guilty i would not set them free.

sergeriver wrote:

F-You must give your liberty away.
No.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6756|Argentina

Varegg wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

No problem with that one, but it is a matter of definition not really appeasement.
According to some people's dictionary it could be.  I agree that isn't appeasement but PC.
Varegg
+2,206|6808|Nårvei

sergeriver wrote:

Varegg wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

No problem with that one, but it is a matter of definition not really appeasement.
According to some people's dictionary it could be.  I agree that isn't appeasement but PC.
That's why we made as much as 31 pages or so in the other thread.

About that exact issue my opinion is that it appeases the general Muslim population telling them we diffrentiate between the religion and the radical elements, we don't appease radical Islam by calling it anti-Islamic activities.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6756|Argentina

Varegg wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Varegg wrote:

That's why we made as much as 31 pages or so in the other thread.

About that exact issue my opinion is that it appeases the general Muslim population telling them we diffrentiate between the religion and the radical elements, we don't appease radical Islam by calling it anti-Islamic activities.
Of course not, you are being respectful to the 99% moderate Muslims and making look the radical ones as opposed to the moderate.
xRBLx
I've got lovely bunch of coconuts!!
+27|6353|England - Kent
I dont like giving in to other people...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard