MECtallica
+73|6522|jalalabad
And the only way to get rid of the noise is to lay the case on the side, can I do this and not worry about my CPU having stress or temperatures increase? And I cant use my dvd or cd player right?
ReDevilJR
+106|6369

MECtallica wrote:

And the only way to get rid of the noise is to lay the case on the side, can I do this and not worry about my CPU having stress or temperatures increase? And I cant use my dvd or cd player right?
One thing will lead to another, It'd best to get the fan fixed IMO.
MECtallica
+73|6522|jalalabad
well it makes a very low but can be annoying noise when it spins not at full load I think, I read that its because the fans bearings never warm up or something, so its not really a physical problem type, more of a design problem and wont lead to anything but my insanity

but I think it might go away if I remove the grill too, anyways, can I remove the fan grill off the 120mm in the psu and not worry about anything bad?
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6215|Winland

MECtallica wrote:

well it makes a very low but can be annoying noise when it spins not at full load I think, I read that its because the fans bearings never warm up or something, so its not really a physical problem type, more of a design problem and wont lead to anything but my insanity

but I think it might go away if I remove the grill too, anyways, can I remove the fan grill off the 120mm in the psu and not worry about anything bad?
As long as you don't dislocate the fan, yes (They're attached with the same four screws). I'd recommend you taking it to some professional or having it RMA'd.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Kurazoo
Pheasant Plucker
+440|6702|West Yorkshire, U.K
Its the ball bearings in your PSU fan me thinks, (I have had the same annoying problem, i just tap the fan and it stops for abit) i wouldnt advise taking your PSU apart, you might die.

Take it to a local repair shop

Last edited by Kurazoo (2008-01-26 04:39:22)

Funky_Finny
Banned
+456|6150|Carnoustie, Scotland

Freezer7Pro wrote:

MECtallica wrote:

As long as you don't dislocate the fan, yes (They're attached with the same four screws). I'd recommend you taking it to some professional or having it RMA'd.
I've seen it so much, what does RMA mean? Return something?
CrazeD
+368|6691|Maine

Kurazoo wrote:

i wouldnt advise taking your PSU apart, you might die.
lol... only if you're an idiot.

Turn the PSU off and then hold the power button for like 10 seconds. This should drain the capacitors. Then you can leave it unplugged for a few days too if you want. Then just don't short anything and you'll be fine.

You can take the fan out, peal the little sticker in the back off, and put a drop of teflon lubricant in there. Try not to get messy because then the sticker won't stick anymore.

Should be fine after that.
Stormscythe
Aiming for the head
+88|6567|EUtopia | Austria
There are indeed fans that you could replace your PSU fan with, like this one: http://www.acousticpc.com/noctua_nfp12_ … g_fan.html

Just be sure to unplug the PSU before opening it. I don't quite know in how far it is necessary to push the power button, for my mobo - after a shutdown - 'empties' the PSU's capacitors.

Kurazoo
Pheasant Plucker
+440|6702|West Yorkshire, U.K

CrazeD wrote:

Kurazoo wrote:

i wouldnt advise taking your PSU apart, you might die.
lol... only if you're an idiot.

Turn the PSU off and then hold the power button for like 10 seconds. This should drain the capacitors. Then you can leave it unplugged for a few days too if you want. Then just don't short anything and you'll be fine.

You can take the fan out, peal the little sticker in the back off, and put a drop of teflon lubricant in there. Try not to get messy because then the sticker won't stick anymore.

Should be fine after that.
You are probably quite right, but I would still leave it to the professionals, just in case the capacitors dont drain
CrazeD
+368|6691|Maine
It wouldn't kill you anyway. It might hurt but it's not going to kill you.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard