Poll

How many kids should a couple be allowed to have?

Not more than 328%28% - 46
Not more than 235%35% - 57
Only 18%8% - 14
Other number (specify)26%26% - 42
Total: 159
De_Jappe
Triarii
+432|6544|Belgium

The OP assume that every two people in this world will get one baby. Don't forget that a lot of people die without having children, so if you limit it to 1, it will decrease too hard and too fast.

I say: as much as you want, as long as you take care of them. Kids are great.
Snorkelfarsan
Soup Boy
+32|6623|Stockholm, Sweden

De_Jappe wrote:

The OP assume that every two people in this world will get one baby. Don't forget that a lot of people die without having children, so if you limit it to 1, it will decrease too hard and too fast.

I say: as much as you want, as long as you take care of them. Kids are great.
I was just making an example. Of course we couldn't all just have 1 kid each. And kids are great, but this doesn't have anything to do with whether you think they are horrible or wonderfull, it's about slowing down or stopping population growth.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6147|North Tonawanda, NY

Snorkelfarsan wrote:

You make a good point, it could possibly spiral out of control. Although your examples are typicall for a communist state. And just because China isn't doing a good job in controlling their population doesn't mean more developed and "civilized" countries will fail too.

But whether I am right or wrong about restricting ourselves, I think we can all agree upon the fact that there are allready to many of us humans on this planet. And that we certainly don't need more of us. So something has to be done, and why wait until it's too late? If we can start right now, bit by bit.
Civilized countries don't limit the number of kids its citizens can have.  And no, we all don't agree that there are too many humans on this planet.
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6303|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

clogar wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

clogar wrote:

there are financial consequences for families that have 3 kids. also i know a family that has 12 kids and they are some amazingly happy people, they're not rich but they aren't burdening our country (america) so why does it matter how many kids one has.
It burdens our planet tbh
oh and you don't burden our planet, only kids do?

edit: take twelve of you guys on here, you probably burden our world as much as that family; though probably more.
Idiot, those 12 will eventually grow up to burden the inviroment just as much as 12 of me would.. so stop beeing stupid k ?
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Snorkelfarsan
Soup Boy

SenorToenails wrote:

Snorkelfarsan wrote:

You make a good point, it could possibly spiral out of control. Although your examples are typicall for a communist state. And just because China isn't doing a good job in controlling their population doesn't mean more developed and "civilized" countries will fail too.

But whether I am right or wrong about restricting ourselves, I think we can all agree upon the fact that there are allready to many of us humans on this planet. And that we certainly don't need more of us. So something has to be done, and why wait until it's too late? If we can start right now, bit by bit.
Civilized countries don't limit the number of kids its citizens can have.  And no, we all don't agree that there are too many humans on this planet.
OK, well please tell me then why you think there are not too many of us?
rhinoh2o74
+13|6322|oHIo

Snorkelfarsan wrote:

rhinoh2o74 wrote:

more than 3----on two conditions

1. They have the means to raise them properly
        2. They are not raised to be idiots

these things may have been posted and if so sorry, i just didn't take the time to read it.
Every parent will argue that they can raise their kids porperly, and every parent will argue that their kids are not idiots.
True, I don't blame kids at all.  There is no such thing as a stupid kid, however there are parents that are complete morons.
Snorkelfarsan
Soup Boy

rhinoh2o74 wrote:

Snorkelfarsan wrote:

rhinoh2o74 wrote:

more than 3----on two conditions

1. They have the means to raise them properly
        2. They are not raised to be idiots

these things may have been posted and if so sorry, i just didn't take the time to read it.
Every parent will argue that they can raise their kids porperly, and every parent will argue that their kids are not idiots.
True, I don't blame kids at all.  There is no such thing as a stupid kid, however there are parents that are complete morons.
Unfortunatley yes, and isn't it funny how it is these parents that a lot of the time go on and have 10 kids?
Laika
+75|5960

Snorkelfarsan wrote:

NantanCochise wrote:

In actual fact many countries in the west need more couples to have more children in order to maintain a steady growth in the population. For anyone to suggest we follow China's example is just plain rediculous. Yes, something must be done to curb high birth rates in China, India and most of Africa because of those countires inabillities to deal with such high populations (through education that is...). But to suggeat that anywhere else puts a legal limit to the amount of children a couple can have is unfair and in the case of a free society, highly undemocratic and an infingement of civil liberties.
Why do we need to maintain a steady growth in population? We dont need growth in population anymore, anywhere on this planet. And of course not in Asia and Africa.

And I know it is not democratic, it's not something a free society should have to do. But when it comes down to the question of our species survival then one must oversee these freedoms and we must all understand that we can't have as many children as we are having today. Call it unfair, unjust, but that doesn't take away the fact that it is necessary.

Colonizing Mars is definatley something that is possible. But moving big chunks of our population there is very unlikely to happen within this century, maybe not even the next. Makin mars a livable planet can take hundreds of years. And by that point our population would have reached double digits a long time ago. Plus, you can't just rely on technology to solve all your problems. You can't just assume that scientists are gonna invent some magic fuel so we never have to use oil again within the next few years, you can't assume that 1 billion people are gonna be living on Mars in 50 years, you can't assume that we're gonna find some pill that will feed a Somalian family for a week. You just need grab the fucking bull by its horns and deal with the problems hands on.
Im kinda jumping into this thread late, but I totally agree with this.

The other countries of the world should look at the situation in China and see it as a warning to watch their own populations. We ought to seek to avoid the extreme measures the Chinese government has had to resort to by taking our own steps now. China's situation provides us with a lesson to learn rather than an opportunity to scoff.
Snorkelfarsan
Soup Boy

Ataronchronon wrote:

The other countries of the world should look at the situation in China and see it as a warning to watch their own populations. We ought to seek to avoid the extreme measures the Chinese government has had to resort to by taking our own steps now. China's situation provides us with a lesson to learn rather than an opportunity to scoff.
Yes! That's a very good point. +1
Ruckel
Ruckel for all!
+43|6192|sverige

jord wrote:

Shouldn't be anyone's decision other than the parents.

However more than one, being an only child is lonely and boring...
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6124|Birmingham, UK
Only 1, otherwise we get overpopulation caused by couples having 3 kids, all of them having 3 and so on. This world is more than overcrowded.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Snorkelfarsan wrote:

Tell me why you think there are?  I don't like answering a question with a question, but there really is no reason to think that there are too many people on the planet right now.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Ataronchronon wrote:

Like what kind of steps?  Limiting the number of kids a family can have?  Isn't that what China does?
Snorkelfarsan
Soup Boy

SenorToenails wrote:

Snorkelfarsan wrote:

Tell me why you think there are?  I don't like answering a question with a question, but there really is no reason to think that there are too many people on the planet right now.
Many problems we face to day are obviously caused or have something to do with the fact that there are so many of us! There is food to support all of us and there are enough resources, but if we were to give every human an equal share than we in the western world won't have as much as we do today. There is no way we would have the same standard of living.
So maybe we're "ok" now, but what about tomorrow?
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Snorkelfarsan wrote:

Many problems we face to day are obviously caused or have something to do with the fact that there are so many of us! There is food to support all of us and there are enough resources, but if we were to give every human an equal share than we in the western world won't have as much as we do today. There is no way we would have the same standard of living.
It really seems like you have fixated on population as being the source of all evil.  Many of the problems we face today can be solved by efficiency.
Snorkelfarsan
Soup Boy

SenorToenails wrote:

Snorkelfarsan wrote:

It really seems like you have fixated on population as being the source of all evil.  Many of the problems we face today can be solved by efficiency.
Yes they can, but overpopulation still remains an issue to me. And as I said before, maybe not so much today, but there is a risk we could have doubled our population by 2050. And then it's definatley gonna be a bigger problem. I think it's better take precautions while we can, than try to deal with a giant population in the future.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Snorkelfarsan wrote:

Yes they can, but overpopulation still remains an issue to me. And as I said before, maybe not so much today, but there is a risk we could have doubled our population by 2050. And then it's definatley gonna be a bigger problem. I think it's better take precautions while we can, than try to deal with a giant population in the future.
Perhaps.  But do you really want to give the government power over life?  I sure as hell don't.  But the reality is that I probably never will need to deal with that.  And you probably won't either. 

Take a look at the three most populous nations:

China: 1.32 billion (about 20% of world population)
India: 1.12 billion (about 17%)
United States: 300 million (about 4.6%)

Those first two are the places that have/will need to deal with overpopulation soon enough.

I agree that overpopulation will become a problem, but I think that limiting the number of kids a family can have is absurd.  As for a better solution that limits population?  I don't have one.  Treat the side effects.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6731|US

Snorkelfarsan wrote:

That would be a very large assumption.  From the responses here, I would say an incorrect one.

The earth can support our population (rather easily I may add).  We, humans, just do not distribute resources well enough to support ourselves.  Limiting the population really does not address resource allocation.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6731|US

Snorkelfarsan wrote:

Many problems we face to day are obviously caused or have something to do with the fact that there are so many of us! There is food to support all of us and there are enough resources,
Well, there is a nice dillema...

Our problems are not so "obviously" caused by our population.  My evidence is in your very claim.
Snorkelfarsan
Soup Boy

RAIMIU wrote:

That would be a very large assumption.  From the responses here, I would say an incorrect one.

The earth can support our population (rather easily I may add).  We, humans, just do not distribute resources well enough to support ourselves.  Limiting the population really does not address resource allocation.
Looking at the poll I would say most poeple who visited this thread agree with the fact that something has to be done, since most of them voted for a limit of either 2 or 3 kids.

I dont agree with the satement that the size of our population is "easy to support". And althuogh resource allocation is indeed a bigger issue right now, putting a halt to the growth of our population will make it a lot easier.
Snorkelfarsan
Soup Boy

RAIMIUS wrote:

Snorkelfarsan wrote:

Many problems we face to day are obviously caused or have something to do with the fact that there are so many of us! There is food to support all of us and there are enough resources,
Well, there is a nice dillema...
I don't see how that is a dillemma.. Especially not if you take the whole post in to consideration.
rhinoh2o74
+13|6322|oHIo

Snorkelfarsan wrote:

rhinoh2o74 wrote:

Snorkelfarsan wrote:

Unfortunatley yes, and isn't it funny how it is these parents that a lot of the time go on and have 10 kids?
Have you seen Idiocracy.  It is in my opion the stupidest movie, but the opening kinda explains it.
Laika
+75|5960

SenorToenails wrote:

Ataronchronon wrote:

Like what kind of steps?  Limiting the number of kids a family can have?  Isn't that what China does?
We wont have to resort to extreme measures such as a one child policy like China has if we act soon. Anything from economic incentives to limits of 3 or 4 for the time being would probably be sufficient. Yes, unless science sees incredible advances within the next 100 years, in the future we will probably have to limit the number of children a couple has, but a long term plan will be less of a shock to society and will help us to avoid the route China has taken.

And yes the world is quite overcrowded, check out this link and determine your ecological footprint: http://www.earthday.net/footprint/

Im going to venture a guess and say that you will score over 1.0. I, and probably the vast majority of the first world does. This basically leaves us with three realistic choices:

1) Continue expanding our population, while sacrificing our lavish lifestyles in order to preserve Earth's resources for the ever growing amount of people.

2) Continue living our lavish lifestyle, while reducing our population in order to make sure Earth's resources dont get used up.

3) Continue expanding our population, while continuing to live our lavish lifestyles, so we end up depleting Earth's resources. At this point, humans must either learn to cope with harsh living conditions or fight wars over resources so that a few can control the whats left.

At the moment, by living the way we are, consuming more than our share of resources, we are forcing others to live without the things we over-consume (mainly food and water). If we, living in the first world, dont want to sacrifice the luxuries we enjoy everyday, we ought to reduce our population so that the third world people dont have to live in poverty.
Snorkelfarsan
Soup Boy

Ataronchronon wrote:

At the moment, by living the way we are, consuming more than our share of resources, we are forcing others to live without the things we over-consume (mainly food and water). If we, living in the first world, dont want to sacrifice the luxuries we enjoy everyday, we ought to reduce our population so that the third world people dont have to live in poverty.
I took the test and I got a 5. Which is less than avarage. But if everybody lived like me, we would still need the equivalent of 2.8 earths to support everyone.
Anyhow, I do agree with most of you statements, but I am not sure we have to go so far as to reduce our population, as long as we learn how to allocate our resources in a better way. Although I do think we need to put an end to the massive growth of population that we've seen in the past century(s) and will se in coming centuries if we don't act against it.
jrav091
+8|5992|Northeast, USA

jord wrote:

Shouldn't be anyone's decision other than the parents.

However more than one, being an only child is lonely and boring...
agreed...im an only child...it sucks sometimes
i said no more than 3...but i somewhat think it should not be restricted...there are economic conditions that would benefit from restrictions, but i dont think its a good idea...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard