Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6578|USA
so, i recently made the switch to ubuntu, and i'm now running a dual boot of winxp for photoshop and games and ubuntu 7.10 for everything else.

my biggest fear was that some of my hardware was going to be unrecognized. this was unfounded in any way whatsoever. not a single thing i've tried hasn't functioned. my keyboard, a logitech ps/2 with media buttons and whatnot has functioned perfectly without drivers, while in windows it won't work at all without them. even the media buttons work. my razer copperhead has lost some functionality, in that i cannot change binds or anything, but the ones set in windows all work like a charm. my PCI network card made by a company called ADMtek has had no problems, everything else is perfect. the only thing i haven't tried yet is my printer, but i have no reason to think that's going to give me trouble.

Ubuntu is Unix based like Mac OSX. basically, its what OSX would be if it wasn't catering to retards and people who are afraid of the buttons and cords on a PC. certainly, a smarter user like Bernie can enjoy it, but its really meant for people who don't give two shits as to how the computer does things, only that it does them. Ubuntu is the exact opposite. if you're not willing to get your hands dirty and start learning the command prompt, don't bother installing. the system is very intuitive and very simple to pick up, so long as you're willing to ask for help, as well as look for it.

open source is like a computer users dream come true. if i need a software piece for windows that costs $9000, chances are there's an open source version that will do what i need it to do for nothing.

one of my other fears was that the OS was going to be very unstable. this is not the case. at times it can feel slightly sluggish, but i haven't had a real problem with it at all. hell, it runs from a ext3 partition but reads the NTSC ones just fine, something windows tanks at. no crashes, no install errors, nothing.

the interface is also very friendly, not at all like the stereotypical view of linux. true, any real things require the command prompt to get done, but basic computing is just like running around through windows.

the thing i love best, however, is the music player. its the perfect mixture of WMP, itunes, winamp and some extras. it looks very similar to itunes (playlists, music sources, etc. +album cover on the left, music listed on the right). controls are simple, it steals the musical breakdown from winamp (artist and album list above, all music listed below.), and it also pops up the name of the song and whatnot on the apps bar when the song changes. actually, i don't know what it takes from WMP, but there's probably something.

the only real cons are that some of the major software like photoshop and games are incompatible. i predict that photoshop will hit linux eventually, but as of right now, thats part of why i keep the dual boot.

overall, i'd recommend the switch to anybody looking for something new. i feel like a little kid at christmas, seeing as i jumped in with absolutely zero experience whatsoever.
+1 to ubuntu.
xRBLx
I've got lovely bunch of coconuts!!
+27|6362|England - Kent
I too may be making the jump I am getting my 2nd HD tomorrow and may give it a go, that or XP again as its far more stable than Vista (Crap).
Couple of questions...
How much RAM can Ubuntu handle?
What program do u you use to dual boot?
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6763|Scotland

Right about everything up to the "games are not compatible" part. If you had done some research:
Cedega

Adobe fails on Linux.

RBL : Ubuntu supports up to 8GB I believe. Also, you can use the Vista BCD.
http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6578|USA
@rbl: don't forget that you're going to have to format that HDD before it becomes useful.

@zimmer: i might be wrong, but isn't that just emulating windows for the games?
edit: and its not free, so its not worth my time.

Last edited by Ender2309 (2008-01-21 11:41:24)

elbekko
Your lord and master
+36|6408|Leuven, Belgium
It actually is free, you just have to build it from source.
DaReJa
BF2s US Server Admin
+257|6634|Los Angeles, California, US.

Zimmer wrote:

Right about everything up to the "games are not compatible" part. If you had done some research:
Cedega

Adobe fails on Linux.

RBL : Ubuntu supports up to 8GB I believe. Also, you can use the Vista BCD.
http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
Oh Forget Cedega, Get Wine.

Adobe Products seem to work for me.
Battlelog: DaReJa
MyBFi/BF3i Admin

AKA DanielRJ
GameSurge IRC Network, Support Agent and Staff
Phuzion IRC Network, Support Director and Operator
elbekko
Your lord and master
+36|6408|Leuven, Belgium
What the... you're suggesting Wine, which is built for everyday applications, to be used over Cedega/WineX which is built on the Wine source but is optimised for games?
Now be serious.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6763|Scotland

elbekko wrote:

What the... you're suggesting Wine, which is built for everyday applications, to be used over Cedega/WineX which is built on the Wine source but is optimised for games?
Now be serious.
Again, he speak the truth.

DaReJa, I know they work. But they work ultra slow and are not always 100% compatible. I am not risking it.
DaReJa
BF2s US Server Admin

Zimmer wrote:

elbekko wrote:

Now be serious.

DaReJa, I know they work. But they work ultra slow and are not always 100% compatible. I am not risking it.
I've tried both CEDEGA sucks, Wine works much better.
MyBFi/BF3i Admin

AKA DanielRJ
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6763|Scotland

DaReJa wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

elbekko wrote:

Now be serious.

Tell that to elbekko. I am not getting involved, I don't know enough about it. But I have researched enough to know that its a downgrade from Vista to Linux for Adobe products. No thanks.
DaReJa
BF2s US Server Admin

Zimmer wrote:

DaReJa wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Tell that to elbekko. I am not getting involved, I don't know enough about it. But I have researched enough to know that its a downgrade from Vista to Linux for Adobe products. No thanks.
I was telling it to both of you.
MyBFi/BF3i Admin

AKA DanielRJ
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6532|South Florida

Ender2309 wrote:

so, i recently made the switch to ubuntu, and i'm now running a dual boot of winxp for photoshop and games and ubuntu 7.10 for everything else.

my biggest fear was that some of my hardware was going to be unrecognized. this was unfounded in any way whatsoever. not a single thing i've tried hasn't functioned. my keyboard, a logitech ps/2 with media buttons and whatnot has functioned perfectly without drivers, while in windows it won't work at all without them. even the media buttons work. my razer copperhead has lost some functionality, in that i cannot change binds or anything, but the ones set in windows all work like a charm. my PCI network card made by a company called ADMtek has had no problems, everything else is perfect. the only thing i haven't tried yet is my printer, but i have no reason to think that's going to give me trouble.

Ubuntu is Unix based like Mac OSX. basically, its what OSX would be if it wasn't catering to retards and people who are afraid of the buttons and cords on a PC. certainly, a smarter user like Bernie can enjoy it, but its really meant for people who don't give two shits as to how the computer does things, only that it does them. Ubuntu is the exact opposite. if you're not willing to get your hands dirty and start learning the command prompt, don't bother installing. the system is very intuitive and very simple to pick up, so long as you're willing to ask for help, as well as look for it.

open source is like a computer users dream come true. if i need a software piece for windows that costs $9000, chances are there's an open source version that will do what i need it to do for nothing.

one of my other fears was that the OS was going to be very unstable. this is not the case. at times it can feel slightly sluggish, but i haven't had a real problem with it at all. hell, it runs from a ext3 partition but reads the NTSC ones just fine, something windows tanks at. no crashes, no install errors, nothing.

the interface is also very friendly, not at all like the stereotypical view of linux. true, any real things require the command prompt to get done, but basic computing is just like running around through windows.

the thing i love best, however, is the music player. its the perfect mixture of WMP, itunes, winamp and some extras. it looks very similar to itunes (playlists, music sources, etc. +album cover on the left, music listed on the right). controls are simple, it steals the musical breakdown from winamp (artist and album list above, all music listed below.), and it also pops up the name of the song and whatnot on the apps bar when the song changes. actually, i don't know what it takes from WMP, but there's probably something.

the only real cons are that some of the major software like photoshop and games are incompatible. i predict that photoshop will hit linux eventually, but as of right now, thats part of why i keep the dual boot.

overall, i'd recommend the switch to anybody looking for something new. i feel like a little kid at christmas, seeing as i jumped in with absolutely zero experience whatsoever.
+1 to ubuntu.
I too did almost the exact same thing, but earlier today i reformatted to just windows because i could use some key programs that i relied on daily.
like ps, trillian (instant messenger) flashget dl manager, and the way file formats didnt cooperate just made thinks not so worth it. tho i loved the feel and look of it
15 more years! 15 more years!
jsnipy
+3,276|6529|...

Mitch wrote:

trillian (instant messenger)
pidgin is the type of messenger as trillian ....
http://www.pidgin.im/download/ (works with both)

Last edited by jsnipy (2008-01-23 18:50:32)

Mitch
16 more years
+877|6532|South Florida

jsnipy wrote:

Mitch wrote:

trillian (instant messenger)
pidgin is the type of messenger as trillian ....
http://www.pidgin.im/download/ (works with both)
I tried it. i hated it. im sooooo used to exactly how trillian works so i just cant go without it

but thanks
15 more years! 15 more years!
ghettoperson
+1,943|6656

I feel this review would have been better without the ass-kissing remark suggesting that Bernie is somehow clever.
gvers
Bad at BF:BC2
+109|6679|The Real World

ghettoperson wrote:

I feel this review would have been better without the ass-kissing remark suggesting that Bernie is somehow clever.
I'll second that
elbekko
Your lord and master
+36|6408|Leuven, Belgium

DaReJa wrote:

They both work just as badly tbh But Cedega is supposed to be optimised for games, which would make it the best option.
But I've never been able to properly test it out. Only time I had a distro fit for Cedega it was x64, and it wouldn't work.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6578|USA

ghettoperson wrote:

i was just trying to be nice....

another thought:

my absolute favorite thing about linux is the clock. yes, the fucking clock. no more will i have to hover my mouse over it to find the goddamn date.

i also love the font, by the way.

and after trying cedega and seeing that after an assload of work getting it out of a tarballs (i did that on purpose) file and into my root folder only to see that it doesn't support anything worth playing, i said fuck it. dual boot is easier, and fast enough for me when my windows partition has jack shit installed.

@snipy: pidgin comes built in to ubuntu, and i think it kicks ass. trillian i never really used, but it wouldn't keep me in windows.

@ mitch: what the hell was incompatible for you? i've not had a single issue with that. even the most random ass document formats are supported by openoffice, and there's plenty of image viewers out there and hell the one that's built in works fine. after getting VLC player i've had no movie viewing troubles and after picking up an mp3 codec (all of this took 10 seconds in synaptic, btw) i was fine with music. even .pdfs are useable in ubuntu.
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6006|The Mitten
Have you tried the GIMP for your photoshop stuff? I forget if the files are compatible, but GIMP = open source photoshop

edit, spelling, etc.....

Last edited by Morpheus1229 (2008-01-24 07:39:43)

EE (hats
DaReJa
BF2s US Server Admin

elbekko wrote:

DaReJa wrote:

They both work just as badly tbh But Cedega is supposed to be optimised for games, which would make it the best option.
But I've never been able to properly test it out. Only time I had a distro fit for Cedega it was x64, and it wouldn't work.
I've found Wine working better thn Cedega, And I've never really heard anything good about it tbh.
MyBFi/BF3i Admin

AKA DanielRJ
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6578|USA

Morpheus1229 wrote:

Have you tried the GIMP for your photoshop stuff? I forget if the files are compatible, but GIMP = open source photoshop

edit, spelling, etc.....
i popped it open, but its not quite as functional as PS. its great for a casual user, but i'm doing shit for a newspaper.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard