Mint Sauce
Frighteningly average
+780|6296|eng
Even before the PC version was released, rumours of a PS3 version of the stunning Crysis were rife, and not far off the mark if insiders at the studio are to be believed. The game looks to be a port of the PC original plus some extra modes and features, a kind of Crysis 1.5. Like the game on PC, you can expect a visual powerhouse; an open world shooter that begins on a beautiful tropical island before things take a turn for the worse and the aliens from a parallel world stake a claim on Earth. Only the mighty Killzone 2 could hold a candle to this shooter. For technical reasons we hear the XBox 360 version of the game isn't in development.
Oh dear...
#rekt
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6629|Mhz

Powerful as the PS3 is I seriously doubt it has the muscle to run Crysis at any sort of high settings, especially at 1080i resolution..
Mint Sauce
Frighteningly average
+780|6296|eng

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

Powerful as the PS3 is I seriously doubt it has the muscle to run Crysis at any sort of high settings, especially at 1080i resolution..
It really does.
#rekt
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6509|so randum

mint-sauce-41 wrote:

It really does.
I should think it does.

Even if it was on 360, i don't think i'd get it.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
topal63
. . .
+533|6728

You mean 1080p (and/or 1080i).

And I bet it can run a modified Crysis. Simply because it can't be the exact same game, on a console. All they need to do is optimize the maps/environments during the port (with respect to snow, vegetation, etc). The cry-engine can do both: static environment display and dynamic environment display.

Example:
The application of snow (dynamically) to an existing static object (map, etc) can reduce frame rates (by a lot). The solution: apply the snow to the object/map and have 2 static objects/maps (more disc space is the only cost). And the FPS goes up - a lot!

How they port/optimize the game - will determine the FPS rate - and not the engine alone. Crysis on the PC is a next-gen game capable of being massively modded and open ended with dynamic applications to map-environments. Console games are not as mod-able; and should have more static information to run right - rather than open ended dynamic variables which can reduce FPS (excepting lights/lighting, of course).
Mint Sauce
Frighteningly average
+780|6296|eng

FatherTed wrote:

mint-sauce-41 wrote:

It really does.
I should think it does.

Even if it was on 360, i don't think i'd get it.
I won't be. Fuck that.

- Gran Turismo 5
- Just Cause 2
- Mercenaries 2
- Rock Band
- BF: Bad Company
- GTA IV
- Midnight Club LA
- TimeSplitters 4
#rekt
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6726
It will have to be a reduced performance version for PS3....  If 8800gtx's are getting 30fps on high on the PC version...

Although reduced performance will still look pretty amazing...
Love is the answer
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6445

mint-sauce-41 wrote:

rumours
And let's face it, that's it.
Mint Sauce
Frighteningly average
+780|6296|eng

Fat_Swinub wrote:

mint-sauce-41 wrote:

rumours
And let's face it, that's it.
By studio insiders.

(People who work for Crytek.)
#rekt
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5971|Washington DC
I don't think the PS3 has enough RAM. 256MB. Good enough for pretty much any game except Crysis

Note to the console haters: The way consoles are designed they don't need as much memory as a normal PC to play games with great graphics.

Last edited by HurricaИe (2008-01-22 13:05:14)

jimmanycricket
EBC Member
+56|6665|Cambridge, England
How much video ram do they have, those textures are huge and numerous.
stef10
+173|6492|Denmark

HurricaИe wrote:

I don't think the PS3 has enough RAM. 256MB. Good enough for pretty much any game except Crysis

Note to the console haters: The way consoles are designed they don't need as much memory as a normal PC to play games with great graphics.
it has 512mb
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6398|New York

stef10 wrote:

HurricaИe wrote:

it has 512mb
256 Video memory, 256 system ram. Even though the system ram is clocked really high, I wish there was more of it.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6445

mint-sauce-41 wrote:

By studio insiders.

By people who want hits on their site for controversial articles more like.

HurricaИe wrote:

Yeah that's the ironic part. This article says that because of technical limitations the 360 couldn't handle Crysis despite it having double the RAM to handle the very large environments.
Mint Sauce
Frighteningly average
+780|6296|eng

Fat_Swinub wrote:

mint-sauce-41 wrote:

By studio insiders.

By people who want hits on their site for controversial articles more like.

HurricaИe wrote:

Yeah that's the ironic part. This article says that because of technical limitations the 360 couldn't handle Crysis despite it having double the RAM to handle the very large environments.
Negtive. The PS3 has more power than the 360, proven. It has a better graphics engine, processing speed, everything. Proven.
#rekt
stef10
+173|6492|Denmark
it has 256mb ram at 700mhz and 256 ram at 3.2ghz. yes its 3,2 GHZ-wow.
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6445

mint-sauce-41 wrote:

Negtive. The PS3 has more power than the 360, proven. It has a better graphics engine, processing speed, everything. Proven.
"The PlayStation 3 has 256 MB of XDR main memory and 256 MB of GDDR3 video memory for the RSX."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps3#Hardware (third paragraph, last sentence)

(Xbox 360) "Its main memory pool is 512 MB in size."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360#Hardware

The graphics processor is superior for the PS3 though, as for the CPU I'm not certain.
bennisboy
+829|6656|Poundland

Fat_Swinub wrote:

mint-sauce-41 wrote:

"The PlayStation 3 has 256 MB of XDR main memory and 256 MB of GDDR3 video memory for the RSX."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps3#Hardware (third paragraph, last sentence)

(Xbox 360) "Its main memory pool is 512 MB in size."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360#Hardware

The graphics processor is superior for the PS3 though, as for the CPU I'm not certain.
PS3 processor is quite a bit superior

Last edited by bennisboy (2008-01-23 11:36:04)

stef10
+173|6492|Denmark
This makes me want to buy the PS3 again.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6574|Area 51

stef10 wrote:

This makes me want to buy the PS3 again.
Makes me wanna graduate and get one for my graduation
stef10
+173|6492|Denmark
but sadly im having a feeling that metel gear solid 4 will be a let-down.
Megalomatthew
+6|6419
People keep going on about the PS3 having 512mb of ram (or 256 video memory and 256 physical)...it still only meets half of the required 1gb of ram to even run the damn game.  If the rumor is true it WILL NOT be the same game, it will be similar to what happened to Far Cry what that went to consoles.
ShadowFoX
I Hate Claymores
+109|6540
Without some sort of optimization in the current stages the crysis engine cannot be run by either Xbox360 or the PS3 they are simple too weak. Sorry console fanboys.
stef10
+173|6492|Denmark

Megalomatthew wrote:

People keep going on about the PS3 having 512mb of ram (or 256 video memory and 256 physical)...it still only meets half of the required 1gb of ram to even run the damn game.  If the rumor is true it WILL NOT be the same game, it will be similar to what happened to Far Cry what that went to consoles.
you dont know anything.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard