jord
+2,382|6686|The North, beyond the wall.
How do you feel about what is effectively a journalist going out with soldiers into the front lines a recording it? I think it's great that he wants to show people back home what it's like, but if he gets in the way and leads to someone's death there's going to be an uproar.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jh … feat19.xml

It's on Mondays at 9PM. He arrived in Afghanistan in last nights episode.

He also raises a very good point. Which needs to get big publicity.

Ross Kemp wrote:

Conditions away from the battlefield are often shocking, too, says Kemp. Rations were built for war in a cold climate, so chocolate bars melted to sauce; a pair of trousers became rags within a week because of the constant getting wet with sweat and then drying out in the heat. ‘We’ve been seduced into thinking that we’re fighting an electronic war,’ says Kemp, ‘but we’re not, it’s won on the ground by fighting men. And there is a shortage of helicopters, which I think is despicable. It’s just money, and they are the most important thing that’s needed out there.’
It is just money. I'm not sure about anyone else but soldiers lives rank above money for me... Maybe that's why I'll never be in a position of power.
Simon
basically
+838|6666|UK
'Ross Kemp is Afghanistan'

Yeah, I saw it last night (was going to make a thread), I think it's great, he's showing perhaps a whole new side of the war. I'm pretty sure he doesn't jeopardize anyones life in the series or it wouldn't be aired atall (If anyone the camera crew with their massive ass camera(s) would be the most trouble). I'm looking forward to next weeks episode.

Hopefully this will enlighten much of the public to exactly just what it's like out there.

Last edited by Simon (2008-01-22 09:26:04)

SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6116|Birmingham, UK
Dammit, i missed it?
What channel?
Didn't he almost die in an ambush too?

Last edited by Bf2-GeneralArnott (2008-01-22 09:30:58)

jord

Bf2-GeneralArnott wrote:

Dammit, i missed it?
What channel?
Sky one or maybe Sky two.

Probably on youtube or something though.

Also he got shot at a lot. So I would assume so.
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6116|Birmingham, UK

jord wrote:

Bf2-GeneralArnott wrote:

Dammit, i missed it?
What channel?
Sky one or maybe Sky two.

Probably on youtube or something though.

Also he got shot at a lot. So I would assume so.
Ah piss, i have Virgin.
jord

Sunday Mirror wrote:

The trouble is, one scene he's insisting has to stay shows some of the lads having to use their own money to buy kit on eBay.
Disgusting really, I sure hope that scene gets aired.
daddyofdeath
A REAL Combat Engineer in the house
+187|6261|UK Bradford W,Yorks. Age 27
I think it's great he's covering the war in Afghanistan. It's the 'forgotton war' in my opinion, as Iraq's mainly on the news. It's more of a soldier's war too in the sense, they relatively know who they are fighting as there's no so many built up areas. The British have a great idea of placing their bases away from civilian properties if they can. So they can have a 360 degree view of their FOB (forward Operating Base). Anyone foolish enough to attack will be sent swiftly to Allah and his 72 bitches. Only thing is, has Ross Kemp signed a declaration to the effect if he is killed it's ony his fault alone and not the Army's?
jord

daddyofdeath wrote:

I think it's great he's covering the war in Afghanistan. It's the 'forgotton war' in my opinion, as Iraq's mainly on the news. It's more of a soldier's war too in the sense, they relatively know who they are fighting as there's no so many built up areas. The British have a great idea of placing their bases away from civilian properties if they can. So they can have a 360 degree view of their FOB (forward Operating Base). Anyone foolish enough to attack will be sent swiftly to Allah and his 72 bitches. Only thing is, has Ross Kemp signed a declaration to the effect if he is killed it's ony his fault alone and not the Army's?
He may well have, which is to be expected really.

He is insured for £1 million though.

Last edited by jord (2008-01-22 09:45:44)

Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6629|London, England
Quite bad that they're so overstretched and underfunded. I don't think it would be as bad as it is, if we didn't go into Iraq for fuck all reason. Also it seems like we're doing most of the work in Afghanistan (not taking anything away from other countries involved, but it does seem like the UK is doing an disproportional amount of work)

I've also heard practically nothing about US Operations in Afghanistan, are they still there?

Iraq really did mess everything up.
jord

Mek-Izzle wrote:

Quite bad that they're so overstretched and underfunded. I don't think it would be as bad as it is, if we didn't go into Iraq for fuck all reason. Also it seems like we're doing most of the work in Afghanistan (not taking anything away from other countries involved, but it does seem like the UK is doing an disproportional amount of work)

I've also heard practically nothing about US Operations in Afghanistan, are they still there?

Iraq really did mess everything up.
Pretty sure they're there, in fact I'm positive they own the second largest airfield there as it was in last nights episode.
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6559|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth

henno13
A generally unremarkable member
+230|6357|Belfast
i Sky+ed
i enjoyed the 4 seasons of Ultimate Force
ill watch it now actually
Rubix-Cubes
+123|6664|UK
WoW just D/l it.... i know the words that i am about to use seem wrong but i thought the 1st Ep was fucking amazing, i live in a navel and marine city and often meet the lads that are out or going out there, and they have my full support and full respect for what they are doing, this documentry is giving a real insight to what perils these lads and lasses are going thru, well done ross kemp for doing this series. if you have not seen the 1st EP its comes highly recomended, it gave me the shivers watching it especially the part with the final salute
jord

Rubix-Cubes wrote:

WoW just D/l it.... i know the words that i am about to use seem wrong but i thought the 1st Ep was fucking amazing, i live in a navel and marine city and often meet the lads that are out or going out there, and they have my full support and full respect for what they are doing, this documentry is giving a real insight to what perils these lads and lasses are going thru, well done ross kemp for doing this series. if you have not seen the 1st EP its comes highly recomended, it gave me the shivers watching it especially the part with the final salute
How does those words seem wrong? Seemed a pretty normal opinion to me.
SamTheMan:D
Banned
+856|5983|England

Watching it now
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6629|London, England
DoD - Were you in Afghanistan? What's your opinion of how well funded the Military is. Did you have problems with your kit etc..?
daddyofdeath
A REAL Combat Engineer in the house
+187|6261|UK Bradford W,Yorks. Age 27

Mek-Izzle wrote:

DoD - Were you in Afghanistan? What's your opinion of how well funded the Military is. Did you have problems with your kit etc..?
Iraq 2003 Op Telic 3. We got all our kit relatively well as the problems were smoothed out from Op Telic 1 + 2 in time for our deployment. Some of the kit is fantastic, some of it is utter gash. I bought my own webtex chest rig sheerly for personal comfort. Mounting and dismounting vehicles with the webbing that is issued as per norm is a fucking nightmare. Its all seatbelts, rifle straps, /facefloor!! I think the way we were dealt with could have beeen better. I.e it was a sausage factory in the sense, it was like a 12 tier stand system where, you get kit here, you sign here, you hand this here, you take that there. Lol. The training is fantastic, a proper good fucking giggle. Real life aint so!
ShowMeTheMonkey
+125|6710
It was pretty good, but I think Kemps journalism leaves a LOT to be desired. He just asks stupid qestions that upset, good journalism is where you don't have to ask those sorts fo questions, you can just tell from the person you;re talking to.
Rubix-Cubes
+123|6664|UK

jord wrote:

Rubix-Cubes wrote:

How does those words seem wrong? Seemed a pretty normal opinion to me.
its just seems wrong that i should say its an amazing documentry, after all these guys are going out the dying for a fucking country that cant rule its self..

Just watched Ep3.. pritty much like Ep2 untill near the end you get footage of a young trooper from the UK in his last moments and the guys running around trying to save his life, then it goes back to the UK and Ross talks to the soldiers mum, makes you really sit up and listen..

Last edited by Rubix-Cubes (2008-02-06 07:52:18)

Shem
sɥǝɯ
+152|6535|London (At Heart)

Me and my dad both watch it, it's particuarly intriguing for him who used to be an Anglian 20 years ago.

It certainly shows a perspective of war which is rarely seen.
Kurazoo
Pheasant Plucker
+440|6693|West Yorkshire, U.K
GTF back to Eastenders n00b!

Yeh, he has a point
The_Guardsman
Tally Ho!!
+81|6753|I'm not sure.... Buts its dark
Gleaming show and its good that one bloke has the bollocks to go on the ground with the lads. Good effort Ross Kemp!

Oh and if you want to watch all the series so far. Heres a link.  http://au.youtube.com/user/oddball71

I recomend you chaps watch it and see what British forces are going through. It is no doubt the same as what other allied forces are going through as well.

Last edited by The_Guardsman (2008-02-06 16:16:46)

Rubix-Cubes
+123|6664|UK

The_Guardsman wrote:

Gleaming show and its good that one bloke has the bollocks to go on the ground with the lads. Good effort Ross Kemp!

Oh and if you want to watch all the series so far. Heres a link.  Clicky!!

I recomend you chaps watch it and see what British forces are going through. It is no doubt the same as what other allied forces are going through as well.
your clickey dose not workey
The_Guardsman
Tally Ho!!
+81|6753|I'm not sure.... Buts its dark

Rubix-Cubes wrote:

The_Guardsman wrote:

Oh and if you want to watch all the series so far. Heres a link.  Clicky!!

your clickey dose not workey
I belive l have fixed the bugger old boy!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard