Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6609|132 and Bush

LONDON (Reuters) - World stocks nosedived and demand for safe-haven bonds and currencies soared on Monday as fears gripped investors that a deteriorating U.S. economy would drag others down with it.

https://i26.tinypic.com/2mepphg.jpg

The losses on the blue-chip stock indexes of Germany, Britain and France alone amounted to more than $350 billion, or roughly the size of the combined economies of New Zealand, Hungary and Singapore.

MSCI's main world stock index (.MIWD00000PUS), a benchmark gauge of stock markets globally, sank 3.3 percent, falling below its 2007 bottom to lows last seen in December 2006 and taking it down more than 12 percent so far this year.

The title reference .
Xbone Stormsurgezz
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6559|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth
Yeah and when the oil runs out/people start paying in Euros you'll be free to fuck up your economy without affecting ours.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6683|Canberra, AUS
And over here the main talk is how to curb inflation so the RBA doesn't have to manually put brakes on the economy...

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6609|132 and Bush

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

Yeah and when the oil runs out/people start paying in Euros you'll be free to fuck up your economy without affecting ours.
Typical. Now for the real reason. Less spending by American consumers means less demand for Asian and European exports. Basic stuff.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6640|Finland

Kmarion wrote:

Less spending by American consumers means less demand for Asian and European exports. Basic stuff.
That's been the trend so far. As the Euro becomes stronger, European products lose demand. However, at the same time, U.S.-products haven't gone down in price in Europe -> riding out the inflation -> shitty times ahead. [/speculation]

I'm sure China will do just fine, though
I need around tree fiddy.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6564
Hopefully China will soften the blow on Europe. Damn you Americans and your fiscal irresponsibility!!!!!
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6609|132 and Bush

CameronPoe wrote:

Hopefully China will soften the blow on Europe. Damn you Americans and your fiscal irresponsibility!!!!!
I'm very responsible thank you very much . You guys are just worried we won't be buying your exports. Can you blame us for tightening our belts?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6609|132 and Bush

DonFck wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Less spending by American consumers means less demand for Asian and European exports. Basic stuff.
That's been the trend so far. As the Euro becomes stronger, European products lose demand. However, at the same time, U.S.-products haven't gone down in price in Europe -> riding out the inflation -> shitty times ahead. [/speculation]

I'm sure China will do just fine, though
That sounds like internal issues. Follow the way of the Dragon and tax the hell out of US imports while giving breaks to those who buy locally. I don't mind.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
rub
+3|6126
Europe is still doing much better then the US!!!!!!!!!!!!
CameronPoe
+2,925|6564

Kmarion wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

I'm very responsible thank you very much . You guys are just worried we won't be buying your exports. Can you blame us for tightening our belts?
I think the problem is with Americans spending money that doesn't exist. The credit culture there sets us all up for a fall. The American government seems to think it can spend itself into perpetual growth - which is a little retarded, you can't keep spending forever! I wonder what the next president of America, John McCain, plans to do about the mess.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-01-22 00:18:27)

Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6725

rub wrote:

hahahahaha.... thanks for that...  you crack me up...
Love is the answer
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6332|New Haven, CT

CameronPoe wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

I think the problem is with Americans spending money that doesn't exist. The credit culture there sets us all up for a fall. The American government seems to think it can spend itself into perpetual growth - which is a little retarded, you can't keep spending forever! I wonder what the next president of America, John McCain, plans to do about the mess.
Agree wholeheartedly.

One question: Why do you foresee McCain as the next president?
CameronPoe
+2,925|6564

nukchebi0 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Agree wholeheartedly.

Momentum behind Clinton. Clinton v McCain. McCain wins. Democrats are so fucking stupid. They're about to give the candidacy to the Democrat candidate who is 100% incapable of winning the election.
rub
+3|6126
1. UK isn't the whole EUROPE!
2. I dont see how this is worth than what is going on in the US.
3. The US had problems first, they spread around the world even when they are not that bad in other countries(the problems),
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6332|New Haven, CT

CameronPoe wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Agree wholeheartedly.

Momentum behind Clinton. Clinton v McCain. McCain wins. Democrats are so fucking stupid. They're about to give the candidacy to the Democrat candidate who is 100% incapable of winning the election.
I meant McCain winning the primary for the Republicans.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6609|132 and Bush

CameronPoe wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

I think the problem is with Americans spending money that doesn't exist. The credit culture there sets us all up for a fall. The American government seems to think it can spend itself into perpetual growth - which is a little retarded, you can't keep spending forever!
When banks ignore things like credit history and income they can not properly gauge the risk of lending. When it's done on a grand scale it's not only the banks that pay, responsible people are caught up in the meltdown as well.

The majority of Americans still make their payments on time and honor their loans. 2008 will probably be rough, but I don't think we are going to see a recession like we did during 1977-1981. I truly feel like this will turn.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
rub
+3|6126

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

rub wrote:

hahahahaha.... thanks for that...  you crack me up...
See that's the the AMERICAN PROBLEM! Ignorance and overassesment
CameronPoe
+2,925|6564

nukchebi0 wrote:

All the other candidates are pretenders. Romney has attempted to win a few primaries to make himself look electable by ploughing gigantic portions of his fund into the likes of Nevada. Huckabee is dying away. Giuliani is a joke. Thompson should pull out. McCain is ahead several points in the Florida polls despite Giuliani staking his political future on it. McCain is the only electable Republican and I think Republicans know that.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6332|New Haven, CT
Isn't the U.S. economic history a long tale of ups and downs?

The Panic of 1837, for example.

CameronPoe wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

All the other candidates are pretenders. Romney has attempted to win a few primaries to make himself look electable by ploughing gigantic portions of his fund into the likes of Nevada. Huckabee is dying away. Giuliani is a joke. Thompson should pull out. McCain is ahead several points in the Florida polls despite Giuliani staking his political future on it. McCain is the only electable Republican and I think Republicans know that.
Makes sense.

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2008-01-22 00:29:00)

Vub
The Power of Two
+188|6503|Sydney, Australia
I think it's probably a good thing that the world markets are slowing down a bit. There has been a protracted length of growth here in Australia (about 14 years) and the longer it goes on, the more paranoid and volatile the market will tend to be.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6609|132 and Bush

Now that NH and SC are done they all have been hitting Fl. Florida has early voting, that's why Giulliani poured all of his money in here a couple weeks ago. I already voted.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6640|Finland

nukchebi0 wrote:

The economic history of the western world, you mean?

The current system works like that, everywhere. And no one has said that it's the only system there is, it's just the system that evolved from industrialization.

https://img529.imageshack.us/img529/6572/businesscycle01an5.png

The main problem seems to be, that during this short period of time (200 years?), we still haven't figured out how to even up the curve. Or is it that the peak is too tempting to resist?
I need around tree fiddy.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6332|New Haven, CT

DonFck wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

The current system works like that, everywhere. And no one has said that it's the only system there is, it's just the system that evolved from industrialization.

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/6572 … e01an5.png

The main problem seems to be, that during this short period of time (200 years?), we still haven't figured out how to even up the curve. Or is it that the peak is too tempting to resist?
The latter.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6609|132 and Bush

DonFck wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/6572 … e01an5.png

The main problem seems to be, that during this short period of time (150 years or so), we still haven't figured out how to even up the curve. Or is it that the peak is too tempting to resist?
Don has a point. 150 years isn't a short time for a country that has only been around a couple hundred years. However it's long enough for the rest of the western world to place economic emphasis on a young country. The ball started off in the hands of Europeans.
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard