Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6298

I found numerous links on this Diabold voting equipment that was used in New Hampshire State Primary.  The following video shows the inaccuracy of the machine along with some court testimony by John Silvestro about how easy they can be hacked.

John Silvestro and his small private business, LHS Associates, has the exclusive programming contracts for all New Hampshire voting machines, which combined will count about 81 percent of the vote for New Hampshire
BlackBoxVoting investigates: LHS Associates and its exclusive control over NH's ballots

LHS Marketing and Sales Director Ken Hajjar was arrested, indicted, and pleaded guilty to "sale / CND" (Convicted of the selling of CONTROLLED NARCOTICS) and sentenced to 12 months in the Rockingham County Correctional facility, and fined $2000. As things go for the politically connected, he was then given a deferred sentence and $1000 of his fine was suspended.
New England voting machine firm has executive criminal record

When asked who would be on site, to either repair or replace the machines if there were problems during elections, Hajjar said, "Either a representative of the town or a representative of the vendor." He then explained, in some detail, about how they would open machines, in apparent violation of state law, to change memory cards during the elections.
Diebold Optical-Scan Failures Reported in Florida May be Affecting Connecticut As Well

In New Hampshire, LHS Associates is the privately held company that tabulated over four fifths of Tuesday’s New Hampshire vote, with no oversight whatsoever. LHS also holds Diebold contracts for Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Vermont.
So, how can we truly be sure what happens in the end? If the outcome again is a complete surprise and clearly unjust, what will we do to ratify our mistakes?

Will anything be done to prevent this in the first place?

Will these mistakes/hacks get someone elected via fraud?
Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

Speculation is not evidence. We will be hearing about the Diebold effect for the rest of our lives.
http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~cook/mova … hnolo.html
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~wmebane/NH2008HMW.pdf
Xbone Stormsurgezz
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6602|Finland

I know it sounds old-school, but most countries vote like this:

1. Write number on an official piece of paper.
2. Fold said piece of paper
3. Get piece of paper stamped by an official
4. Insert piece of paper into a slot

https://img299.imageshack.us/img299/8027/electionmg3455wz5.jpg

The problem here being, that while it works here with 5.3 million people, the U.S. has 300 million people. Counting votes would take ages. Besides, are we sure we can trust the officials? Even if they're registered members of parties?

But voting machines can a) be hacked and b) be too damn difficult to use for some. Arguments saying "Maybe they shouldn't vote if they're so stupid", keep in mind, they're already at the machine casting their vote. Besides, the people always get leaders that they deserve, hence "democracy" or "rule by the governed". But that's another story.

https://img299.imageshack.us/img299/6752/news0381ue9.jpg

I'm all for the traditional way even if it takes all eternity to count the votes. Sure, there's always the risk of human error, but at least it wouldn't be dependant on machines that could be, as mentioned above, subjected to hacking.

Maybe getting rid of electors could also make the system more exact?

Wikipedia wrote:

Specifically in the United States, electors are delegates who have the right to vote in the U.S. Electoral College for the President of the United States, see US Presidential Electors. A similar system has been used to elect the president in other countries too, e.g. in Finland until 1988.
Right, back on topic: Paper ballots. Hand written numbers. If they're not readable, they are discarded. If someone draws a picture of e.g. Donald Duck or an artistic view of what female genitalia looks like, they are discarded.
I need around tree fiddy.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

People cry foul either way Don. Why not get a paper trail along with the electronic voting machines?

Side note:
has 300 million people.
No where near 300 million people vote in the US. Aside from the age requirement, and the exclusion of felons, the actual number of people who are eligible to vote is extremely low when it comes voting day.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Psycho
Member since 2005
+44|6746|Kansas, USA
It's called statistical sampling. You can simply have x number of voters record there votes manually (e.g. paper). based upon the sample size of the manual voters and the total number of voters statistics will tell you what the actual votes were for each candidate within the margin of error. If the electronic vote results are do not match the statistical results, then you have voter fraud.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

Psycho wrote:

If the electronic vote results are do not match the statistical results, then you have voter fraud.
Not necessarily.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6602|Finland

Kmarion wrote:

People cry foul either way Don. Why not get a paper trail along with the electronic voting machines?
True, in that case the results would be faster, and the paper trail could confirm/discard the results at a later time

Re: Sidenote:

Kmarion wrote:

No where near 300 million people vote in the US. Aside from the age requirement, and the exclusion of felons, the actual number of people who are eligible to vote is extremely low when it comes voting day.
I know, it was too difficult to pull up data over the actual number of voters, so I just posted the overall population of both countries as reference to the difference in size (yes, we're only 5 million people here in Finland).
I need around tree fiddy.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

Turnout is rather pathetic (usually). Thats the only reason I pointed it out. This election seems like it's higher than normal though. I already voted .
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Psycho
Member since 2005
+44|6746|Kansas, USA

Kmarion wrote:

Psycho wrote:

If the electronic vote results are do not match the statistical results, then you have voter fraud.
Not necessarily.
My god, must you take everything literally? Of course you have to look at the numbers realistically. But, if the resturns are statistically impossible based upon the sampling, especially if that is do for all/most districts then it would be apparent that foter fraud may have occured. Of course in a close election all bets are off.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard