kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6832|Bryan/College Station, TX
I'm going to post about this only because I think it needs to be said.

I understand that the mainstream public needs a FPS game like the Battlefield series. I also know that it needs to be easy enough for your standard gamer to pick it up quickly and be able to perform. Obviously they know the general community wants more infantry type battles or else the infantry only option wouldn't exist. So it pretty easy to see why they went with the format they did. However there is another group of people that are saddened by this.

The modding community and all their fans are for the most part disappointed with the information received so far on BF3. While I can't speak for everyone I can only relay the general tone on forums such as the POE, FH and PR forums. A few of their concerns can be summed up very quickly.

1. The game is more arcade like than they would like. One comment that seems to very popular is, "Why is the Sniper a Core Class?". Which I have to agree with. Why does a class that has little to no significance in a large battlefield have a main slot in the classes? Why isn't the Spec Ops kit and the Sniper kit combined under the Spec Ops classification and the given the opportunity to choose either a sniper rifle, a marksman rifle or a MP5/G36C type weapon? One of the largest complaints of any hardcore teamwork type BF2 player is that there are entirely too many snipers on a team and I agree.

2. 8 Urban Middle Eastern Maps. This has been welcomed with a bit of contention due to the limited number and genre. BF2 did very well in including the PLA in the mix giving everyone a different field of operations and a different feel. The green maps breaking up the tan maps was nice. Given the current climate of the world demonstrating the PLA and the MEC as enemies of the US, GB and including Insurgents or Militias of other countries (Russia, African countries and others), makes sense. I can only assume that they will be released in expansion packs which unfortunately will be seen as DICE/EA attempting to wring more money out of their customers. While many will probably still buy the expansions they will also be thinking that perhaps that first expansion of 3 or 4 more maps should have been included in the original BF3 and not as an expansion.

3. Bugs. If there is one thing everyone complains about it's the bugs. A few were nothing more than irritations while others would completely game breaking. The memory leak bug that still plagues the BF2 engine that causes games to crash to desktop. The inabliity to spawn on a spawn location because the engine freaks out. And who can forget that infamous red/blue name tag bugs. From shot deviation to spotaneous deaths to objects flying into the air or rubberband effect. We have seen a lot and over time through something like 7 patches to 1.41 they fixed many but introduced others. If DICE wants to get on the better sides of customers in the public relations realm they will not only heavily BETA test their game but they will also release a demo of the game with a single map. They will not have a release date giving them a buffer zone in which to fix the bugs that are demonstrated when you introduce 100,000 players into a game. They can deal with the network issues, rework balance, tweak ranking numbers and fix bugs all before the game is released. For the sake of us the community I hope DICE will do this.

4. A Solid Game Engine. There are a couple of things that bring people back to the BF series time and time again. It offers the best vehicle/infantry environment in the current FPS genre. CoD4 has taken the crown away from BF2 when it comes to infantry combat graphics and smoothness. Maybe BF3 will raise that bar a little once again. Another big thing that keeps BF2 alive is it's very active and motivated modding community. There has been four or five popular mods for BF2 since it's release a couple of years ago in June 2005. It is very important that the engine is open enough and easy enough to work with that the modding communities are able to take a good engine and transform the environments and rules and models into something that DICE does not provide. BF series has always been some what arcade like to appeal to the masses. The modding community has taken the want of realism from it's members and made that dream into a reality. Limited kits based upon population. Mandatory squad teakwork. Correct operation of vehicles. Realistic operation of weapons. More strategy and tactics over longer periods of time. Maps that offer much more alternatives then the core BF maps. Models that we've always wante d to see and don't see in BF. The list goes on and on.

DICE has a lot of work ahead of them. They have tough veterans of the BF series to please and yet they have to some how introduce newer players into the realm of modern combat FPS games. To entice them away from Insurgency, CoD4 and Frontlines. But maybe part of the interest of BF2 was that it wasn't like any other game out there. That it took it's own road and made it the standard. Don't appeal to the masses by making a game like anyone else. Take the solid tenants of FPS games and incorporate them into your own but don't lose your own identity by doing so. If I could give the people at DICE a several huge main points of advice they would be...

Server Interface

Pay special attention to the MP Server interface. Make it as functional and as detailed as possible. Give players the ability to search for servers in many many different ways. Include a buddy system in which Friends can be added and clan pages can be adopted. The community had to do that through XML data and saving PIDs. Place that function in the game at a mouse click. Take what you did in BF2 and improve on it. Server interfaces do not need to be reinvented. The wheel has already been built. Just improve on it. DO NOT do what Epic did with UT3. They destroyed their server interface and their game is suffering because of it.

Multiple Game Mods

Make an Arcade mode for the general public but also make a Hardcore mode for the veterans of the game. Makes shots cause more damage, make CP take more time to capture. Give the community options in their servers to turn modes on and off. No vehicles mode. No health bar mode. No mini-map mode. No crosshairs mode. Increased damage mode. things like that. Make an easy style of gameplay for all the little pubber kiddies out there that like their games to be easy. Then make a hardcore mode for those of us that can't stand arcade pubber kiddie games and rather would have something much more challenging and fitting for our skill level and teamwork requirements. Oh and remove the Sniper kit as a core kit for Hardcore mode.

Diverse Maps

Keep the community guessing on where the next field of operations is going to be. Middle East all the time will be very boring. See where all the hote spots are in the world and building maps for those areas. Give us the future that the media doesn't like to talk about. The imitation of real life is sometimes better.

Bug Testing

Test, test and more testing. Beta huge groups of people. Demo even more people. Max those servers out. Encourge people to try and break the game. Listen closely to those people that report those bugs and attempt to ignore all the trolls that feel they need to be heard for whatever reason. It's very important that bugs are solved quickly and are kept to a minimum. Test each patch thoroughly on certain community servers that are high traffic. Allow them to beta test patches before they are released to double check them. Once they are solid then release them to the general public.

Be friendly with the Mod community

This will be the lifeblood of BF3. When people are sick and tired of the same old stuff over and over again in BF3 they will look elsewhere. If a mod community releases a good product that will keep people within the BF3 realm and may keep them interested longer and therefore actually get those expansions (which better not cost more than $10-15). Modders do amazing things with game engines and bring forward talent, motivation and caring into the gaming arena. Their dream to create something unique only helps DICE. Allow them to achieve those dreams.

That's all I have. I may not post much anymore on this forum but I still visit from time to time. Chuy if you see this, pass the knowledge along.

Cheers.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
eEyOrE
LINKS 2 3 4
+14|5985|Berlin, Germany
nice!
Cyrax-Sektor
Official Battlefield fanboy
+240|6137|San Antonio, Texas
Very good! ^_^ +1
ShowMeTheMonkey
+125|6691
I think the main thing is that it should be like steam, where if there's a custom map you automatically download it.
SharkyMcshark
I'll take two
+132|6774|Perth, Western Australia
My favourite maps in BF2 were the open style PLA maps + Kubra Dam, so I'm not all that keen on HOMG 8 NEW INF URBAN MAPS FOR GREAT JUSTICE. And honestly, compared to other games the bugs in bf2 were not THAT bad (personal experience + experience of firends and clan members).
jord
+2,382|6667|The North, beyond the wall.
Sniper is a core class because like you said, lots of people play it. It's the biggest difference between classes, gameplay wise.
Simon Moon
+13|6659|Canada
I can understand the frustration with BF2 and also the points that touch on BF2142. The main difference in Battlefield 3 that I see is a new way to approach levels. Right now it is all static. No matter how much you pound with your tank on a building or even a flimsy pole or tree, that thing stands there like nothing ever happened. In effect, your actions only influence a very small part of the area, namely the players directly or indirectly (blast from explosives or shell impacts from tanks).

Now here comes BF3. At first a nice little city or town standing there. Five minutes in you see lots of damage all around, craters, buildings with holes. By the time the round ends, the mayhem has most likely spread over most of the map. Imagine Karkand, but with buildings going to rubble. Cant reach that sniper hiding on that roof, tear down the building on him! People hiding behind a wall, make a hole in it. The train giving you line of sight issues? Get rid of it.

When you play BF2, most of the battlefield is static, bridges (and the occasional boards over an opening) aside, and that has it's pros and cons. You can bet that the opening in the wall to the south in Karkand blows within the first 60 seconds. After that you never have to worry about it being closed. BF3 will make it harder by having the chance that a route you wanted to take is suddenly blocked, a cover you wanted to hide behind is suddenly gone. But also an open space is riddled with craters and debris, ideal for you to hind behind. It works in many different ways and playing will be a lot more interesting over a longer period of time.
SmegHead74
+1|5962
Doesnt destroyable buildings/structures/surroundings beg for all kinds of exploits, wont it be hard to balance things? The whole premise of the round changes when things go boom.
ig
This topic seems to have no actual posts
+1,199|6511
don't start flaming the fucking game before they even announce its release. jesus christ.

Last edited by ig (2008-01-18 22:05:25)

Cyrax-Sektor

SmegHead74 wrote:

Doesnt destroyable buildings/structures/surroundings beg for all kinds of exploits, wont it be hard to balance things? The whole premise of the round changes when things go boom.
And isn't that great? Every round is different. The snowball effect. One minor change will eventually turn into some grand change. Some changes could also go into the enemy's advantage instead of yours.

Add physics to items that explode, and you're James Bond!

Last edited by Cyrax-Sektor (2008-01-18 22:05:40)

Simon Moon
+13|6659|Canada
That's exactly it. Destructible environments make a lot of changes in the game. The exploits, thats something to be seen really. Nobody can tell until we have the game in hands. Personally, I do not think that there will be all too many. What would be the point glitching into a building a tank shell could rip apart?
Cyrax-Sektor

Simon Moon wrote:

That's exactly it. Destructible environments make a lot of changes in the game. The exploits, thats something to be seen really. Nobody can tell until we have the game in hands. Personally, I do not think that there will be all too many. What would be the point glitching into a building a tank shell could rip apart?
Yes, brilliant. Those swine in popular places like Insurgent Hideout in Warlord and Square in Karkand will no longer be safe! Still, hackers will still be there, at least they can't glitch into buildings without getting their backsides blown to bits with the rubble.
SmegHead74
+1|5962
Nm

Last edited by SmegHead74 (2008-01-19 03:07:40)

Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6555|England

Would just like to say Simon, cant post on your forums, but that supposed screenshot of BF3....is fake.

This look similar?

https://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee53/SFSSnake/Random/Zatar_Hill2.jpg

https://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee53/SFSSnake/Random/Zatar_Hill.jpg

I found those a long time ago, and were part of my Missing Content guide (since lost due to site crash). The map itself is Zatar Wetlands...before any textures were added by the looks of it!
I cant find them online now, but that exact screenshot I did find for a BF2 preview. Its been photoshopped up.
daffytag
cheese-it!
+104|6564
Has Dice mentioned anything new on BF3, I hate it when noobs confuse bf3 with bad company.
Simon Moon
+13|6659|Canada
Thanks a lot Snake! That information is great, haven't come across it yet. I will add that to our info guide so it does reflect this.

I think the biggest concern that the community as such faces with Battlefield 3 will be the communication of DICE with the community. This includes a speedy connection to spread the word about patches, potential problems and so on, to make sure the community knows whats going on. I think most people would be a lot more relaxed if they heard the developer admit to a problem and say "we are on it" instead of being ignored, made to doubt it's the developers fault and somewhere on the users side and get in the whole process frustrated and pissed off at the Developer.

My hopes are high for BF3.
SmegHead74
+1|5962

daffytag wrote:

Has Dice mentioned anything new on BF3, I hate it when noobs confuse bf3 with bad company.
Think a BF3 in the future will be alot different to bad company?
Simon Moon
+13|6659|Canada

SmegHead74 wrote:

daffytag wrote:

Think a BF3 in the future will be alot different to bad company?
So far there really is nothing tangible and official that anyone could quote, other than the leaked document and the preview in PC Gamer. EA and DICE are quiet about it, most likely until they want to officially announce it with their official page there. Expect some small leakages before that though.

How close BF3 will be to Bad Company I think depends a lot on the success of Bad Company. I somehow doubt that they will create a single player that elaborate for Battlefield 3, simply because that is not the core game play of the PC Version. It still might be fun and interesting (but most likely simply too easy for most BF gamers). personally, I do not care too much for the single player, as much fun as it might be, the multi player matches will give me a lot more hours of play fun than the single player could offer.
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6832|Bryan/College Station, TX
An Idea for DICE that worked extremely well for Epic during the UT2004 era.

Community Promotional Event: Custom Maps

If the BF3 engine is friendly to modders and if they have a map editor program that is able to be learned then they should have a contest open to any community group that wants to put time and effort into it. Rewards could be anything from SWAG to even a trip to DICE headquarters in Sweden to see the place in person as a grand prize. Community gets together and forms groups. These groups register and apply. Deadlines are set and they get to work creating their own custom maps with a summary for the storyline etc. Once it is complete they then submit it to DICE.  DICE weeds out the ones they feel are sub-par and then releases the finalist maps (Max 5 Finalists) to the community by way of a patch. Then everyone gets to play the maps. Then the community logs onto EA community site and votes for their favorite maps.

Via Votes the community then chooses their favorite map or top 3. DICE the votes and sees which ones are their top 3. Through those two series of votes they choose the Grand Prize winner, 2nd place and 3rd place winners. They win prizes accordingly and the community now has 5 new maps to play with that are free and do not cost anything. These community groups get recognition for their hard work through public play and they may even get picked up by Mod teams or DICE for their skill.

It's a win win situation for everyone.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
Simon Moon
+13|6659|Canada
Great post Killroy. That is exactly what i would like to see in BF3. There are a lot of good maps out there, not using them is a shame.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6705
BF3 will be good...  Whatever Bad Company has for console... BF3 will be even more advanced...
destructive environments will mean that every round you play will be different... start saving for your dual 8900's lol

Bad Company video
http://www.truveo.com/Battlefield-Bad-C … 1019588781

Last edited by [TUF]Catbox (2008-01-20 00:05:09)

Love is the answer
Simon Moon
+13|6659|Canada

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

BF3 will be good...  Whatever Bad Company has for console... BF3 will be even more advanced...
destructive environments will mean that every round you play will be different... start saving for your dual 8900's lol

Bad Company video
http://www.truveo.com/Battlefield-Bad-C … 1019588781
I think you will need more RAM and CPU for BF3 than a high end graphics card. Destructible environment will take a hit on those two and less on the GFX card. But then again it depends on the implementation and how heavy the destruction is. If you wade through a place that has been ground almost to dust I bet even your dual 9900 wont hold up to it on the highest settings.
ShowMeTheMonkey
+125|6691
Those screenshots look like the ones of Project Realities: Operation Greasy Mullet map.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard