Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6774|Noizyland

Back in April last year, the thirteenth to be exact, me and my family finally moved out of that house that had been mine for the last nineteen and a half years. It was my childhood home, I knew no other. Moving twenty-one years of crap however was considerably harder than moving me. We of course hired a moving company, Allied Pickfords, to move us. Their quote was "residence to residence" and included packing and unpacking. They came on the twelfth to pack us, a crew of three people. The got approximately a third of the house packed-ish with the supervisor doing most of the work while one did the majority of the lounge and one spent the day packing the liquor cabinet, (consisting of maybe fifteen bottles and a few glasses.)

The next day was the big move. They sent one truck. The promised two. They sent a total of five people. It was clear they needed more. We contacted the head office informing them of this, they said there was nothing they could do. Due to the immense work-load and the time constraints we were under my folks took the day off work, my sister turned up to help and I enlisted the help of two of my close friends. We worked tirelessly, although I did notice that our moving crew, (bar one,) took frequent smoko breaks. By about 6pm that night the family who had bought our house was ready to move in. We were far from being moved out. Their crew, who was being payed by the hour, had to help our lo. This meant that the people who were moving in weren't exactly pleased with us and insisted that we pay part of their moving costs - fair enough I reckon although not our fault. By 8pm we were still not finished, however the moving crew was. Our remaining stuff had to be left under a tarp in the rain for the night for the crew to start with the next day. Our piano was left in our new garage with the movers insisting that they could not move it to our house - despite the fact that this was in the quote.

The move was finally completed as such with much work done on our, (folks, sister, me and my two mates,) part and it came time for the bill to be paid. My dad decided that because they did not fulfil their end of the deal that he would only, (and generously in my opinion,) pay half of the quoted cost. We also had to hire another moving company to move the piano later at a cost of $650.

Since this time Allied Pickfords have been continually sending us the bill for the remaining half of what we supposedly owe them. We have given our reasons for not paying this amount.
- The quote mentioned residence to residence
- It included the moving of the piano
- It included two trucks
- It included us not having to do any work, (six of us ended up working the equivalent of a twelve hour day each.)
- It included unpacking, this was largely left undone.

Now any company would probably realise that they fucked up royally, cut their losses and be appreciative for what they did get. Allied Pickfords though is continually asking us for the remaining money and sent us yet another bill just yesterday.

What should I do, aside from turning up to the Allied Pickfords offices and attempt to bash some sense into them? D'you reckon we're right in refusing to pay or are they right in insisting we do so?

Don't use Allied Pickfords. Their idiocy may only be truly evident in my backwards little country but punish them for being pricks anyway.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
aLeX
.?
+160|6331|:D

I agree with you 100% on that.

Threaten court action, see what they say. Surely they'd realise they're in the wrong then?
SharkyMcshark
I'll take two
+132|6785|Perth, Western Australia
Threaten legal action. Or write back outlining why you refuse to pay.

Sounds like a load of ass munchers to me.
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6439|Brisbane, Australia

You're a lawyer Ty, you can deal with it

But in all seriousness, they fucked up and you are in the right.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
Rubix-Cubes
+123|6656|UK
go and see Judge Judy

Na serious, you have not recived the service they have verbally agreed with you. i think that you have allready payed enough for the lame service you have had. write to them again stating that you was dissapointed with the level of service that you had, stating the facts and also ring them. KEEP ALL LETTERS SENT, and recived from them.  Unless they actually threaten court action against you there is not a great deal they can do. also may be an idea to get written statments from your pals saying what happend.. good luck
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6780|Great Brown North
they billed you for what they didnt do, you're in the right
Reciprocity
+721|6581|the dank(super) side of Oregon
sent them a letter or make a call explaining that any further bills can be sent to your lawyers office.

dont know of your specific laws, but most companies that are serious about collecting hire an agency.  they haven't so they know they're in the wrong and are are hoping you'll just cave in.

fuck em.
killer21
Because f*ck you that's why.
+400|6591|Reisterstown, MD

It sounds like your only recourse is to seek legal representation so that the bill doesn't get stuck on your parent's credit. 

Last edited by killer21 (2008-01-19 03:08:22)

..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6649
Legal action tbh...sounds like they fucked you over royally and if they're going to act like tards, show them that they are.
aLeX
.?
+160|6331|:D

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

Legal action tbh...sounds like they fucked you over royally and if they're going to act like tards, show them that they are.
Alternatively.. revenge, BF2s style, spam them ftw
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6649

aLeX wrote:

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

Yeah fo sho
Hope_is_lost117
Psy squad
+49|5996|Belgium

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

aLeX wrote:

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

Yeah fo sho
That color of text made me hungry for pistache ice cream

Here in the Eu you could certainly sue them for not complying to lend a service on demand and under payment, I think the law is the same where you are.
dave_the_rave23
psn - do_one_ya_mug
+41|5979
pickfords are shit. we were due to move out on the 21st may last year, they turned up on the 22nd. we fucked them off.

but no , i would'nt have paid any of  the bill.

cheeky faggots !!

Last edited by dave_the_rave23 (2008-01-19 05:31:46)

Funky_Finny
Banned
+456|6132|Carnoustie, Scotland
What country do you live in? Then I can give an answer.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6529|Global Command
Sue them.
David.P
Banned
+649|6274

Ty wrote:

What should I do, aside from turning up to the Allied Pickfords offices and attempt to bash some sense into them?
Knife, A few sticks of TNT, and an alibi.
ig
This topic seems to have no actual posts
+1,199|6522

ATG wrote:

Sue them.
seriously. fuck those assholes.
farmerfez
o wut?
+78|6530

hire a hitman 0o
jamesb
Joined BF2s in November 2005
+133|6724|Doncaster, England
I agree with only paying a percentage.

+

I'd send them a bill for the other truck, the work you did yourselves and moving the piano etc.

It might shut them up.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6197|Winland

Divide by zero in their basement. That'll teach them.

Anyhow, I strongly agree with you, Ty. Don't pay them, and take legal action.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Scardaddy
+37|6392|UK
wait for them to threaten court action, they never will... that will be the end of it, trust me.
ig
This topic seems to have no actual posts
+1,199|6522
TuataraDude
+115|6522|Aotearoa
Don't wait for them to start legal action. Pre-empt it as otherwise Pickfords might manage to get you on Baycorp's list and if that happens, no matter how much in the right your parents are found to be, getting off their list is bloody hard and will haunt them for some time. Call consumer affairs first rather than straight to a lawyer (you don't want to spend more money defending things than the original bill). They can give your parents good advice. If what they were supposed to provide is in writing, I'd say they're pretty screwed.

We used Crown when we moved from ChCh to Akl. They were great.
avman633
+116|6364
You should threaten legal action. If they ignore it take the legal action
samfink
+31|6555
legal action. they didn't provide the service they quoted for, therefore they have no grounds for charging you the whole bill. if you;re really lucky, the  court may even award you the amount you've already paid to them back. and if they refuse to pay, contempt of court.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard