Poll

What cooling device should I buy?

CPU fan+heatsink83%83% - 10
GPU fan+heatsink16%16% - 2
Total: 12
aimless
+166|6095|Texas
I'm looking to get better cooling. But I'm kinda strapped on cash for now. I was looking at either getting a new cpu cooler or a better cooler for my 8800gt. Mainly because I want to overclock and I like benchmarking

For the CPU (E6750) I was looking at:
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

and for the GPU:
Arctic Cooling Accelero S1
plus a 120mm fan

I also checked out some of the Zalman CPU coolers but they were a little pricey. Anyone have any experience with them? Or anyone have any other recommendations?
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6541|USA
buy for what ever runs closer to the danger point.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6294|New Haven, CT
That is a hard choice, because the stock Intel cooler sucks, and the stock 8800GT cooler sucks. I would lean more toward the CPU, though, because the 8800GT cooler doesn't (slightly) suck as badly.

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2008-01-17 23:50:22)

eEyOrE
LINKS 2 3 4
+14|5966|Berlin, Germany
go for products from zalman or thermaltake, they got very effective coolers. i got the blue orb fx for my cpu (core 2 duo 2.66 GHz) and it keeps it at 30 °C under full load.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6294|New Haven, CT

eEyOrE wrote:

go for products from zalman or thermaltake, they got very effective coolers. i got the blue orb fx for my cpu (core 2 duo 2.66 GHz) and it keeps it at 30 °C under full load.
He can't afford them, I believe.
aimless
+166|6095|Texas

nukchebi0 wrote:

eEyOrE wrote:

He can't afford them, I believe.
I could, just mean I would have to wait about a month.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6294|New Haven, CT
How far do you want to overclock your CPU?

The ACFP7 is a really good deal for the price, and will bring you 3.3-3.4 Ghz without problems.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6167|Winland

nukchebi0 wrote:

The ACFP7 is a really good deal for the price, and will bring you 3.3-3.4 Ghz without problems.
it will bring any C2D capable of those speeds way above that. it can handle a prescott at fucking 4GHz! I've ran my P4 Prescott2M core with HT at 3.6GHz with fan on about 60%, full load and 70C.

On lower RPMs, it's almost completely silent, adn it doesn't collect much dust either.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
eEyOrE
LINKS 2 3 4
+14|5966|Berlin, Germany
yea, sry, didnt see that "not too expensive" sign. well, freezer7Pro is right, the arctic cooling ones are very efficient and do a good job. i had one for my old P4 2.8 GHz, and it ran just fine. the only thing that bothers me is their looks, i like fancy stuff. but hey, if that dont matter to you go for an AC product!
Stormscythe
Aiming for the head
+88|6519|EUtopia | Austria
Get both. They're incredibly cheap. Note, however, that you will want the Arctic Cooling Turbo module in addition to your S1, and probably some thermal adhesive to fix ram- and voltage regulator heatspreaders.
23.99 (Accelero S1)
7.99 (Turbo module)
5.99 (for Arctic Silver AATA-5G thermal adhesive
21.99 (Freezer 7 Pro)

That's a total of about $60. Well invested $60, not to forget.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6590|Mhz

I'd go with the CPU cooler, it'll get you more of a performance boost than OCing your graphics card.

If you can push to the higher price I'd suggest you look at a Thermalright Ultra120 Extreme, it's about $60USD I think but my one is currently running without a fan attached on my e6600 @ 3.2Ghz and under full load it gets to about 45*c, idles at 29*c which is my case ambient lol, with a good quality 120mm fan attached it'd drop by another 5-10*c (silenx iXtrema 120mm is the best I've found, 90CFM at 18db). I should probably add my case is an Antec 900 and this cooler is facing the 200mm vent fan which helps a lot.

Last edited by TheEternalPessimist (2008-01-18 02:21:00)

aimless
+166|6095|Texas

nukchebi0 wrote:

Well right now I have it a 3.2Ghz and it runs 50°C on full load, 34°C idle. I'd like to go 3.4 or 3.6 at best while still maintaining 50°C or below temps.

Stormscythe wrote:

Note, however, that you will want the Arctic Cooling Turbo module in addition to your S1, and probably some thermal adhesive to fix ram- and voltage regulator heatspreaders.
I was looking at that. I was thinking of using just one 120mm fan on the heatsink instead of the two 80mm fans, for noise and all.

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

If you can push to the higher price I'd suggest you look at a Thermalright Ultra120 Extreme.
Yeah I was looking at those giant heatsinks, that one and the Tuniq Tower. They are huge! They seem to offer the best air cooling options though, I'll keep those in mind.
Stormscythe
Aiming for the head

aimless wrote:

Stormscythe wrote:

Note, however, that you will want the Arctic Cooling Turbo module in addition to your S1, and probably some thermal adhesive to fix ram- and voltage regulator heatspreaders.
I was looking at that. I was thinking of using just one 120mm fan on the heatsink instead of the two 80mm fans, for noise and all.
Now, the thing is that a) the two 80mm fans without a frame are lighter than one single 120mm fan with frame (easy to install, and such) and that they b) cover about the same area as one single 120mm fan, yet they're (as I already mentioned) frameless and therefore will cause some ventilation that's greater than their diameter - which a directly applied 120mm fan with frame doesn't. If you, however, feel like taking a 120mm fan apart, cutting off its frame, you might well have a better solution there - yet, on newegg I haven't found one single silent, cheap 120mm fan...
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

eEyOrE wrote:

No it doesn't. Whatever you're using to read your temps is doing it wrong.
aimless
+166|6095|Texas

Stormscythe wrote:

aimless wrote:

Stormscythe wrote:

Now, the thing is that a) the two 80mm fans without a frame are lighter than one single 120mm fan with frame (easy to install, and such) and that they b) cover about the same area as one single 120mm fan, yet they're (as I already mentioned) frameless and therefore will cause some ventilation that's greater than their diameter - which a directly applied 120mm fan with frame doesn't. If you, however, feel like taking a 120mm fan apart, cutting off its frame, you might well have a better solution there - yet, on newegg I haven't found one single silent, cheap 120mm fan...
The Accelero S1 seems like the greatest gpu cooler out there, I'm definately getting that. I'm trying to find out how far the heatsink extends away from the actual pcb so I can be 100% sure it will fit.
Stormscythe
Aiming for the head
The Accelero S1 will not exceed 32 mm in height, plus the turbo module with about 15 mm that's 47 mm (o rly?). That said, it will probably take up 3 slots (card included) - another advantage over a 120mm fan here. Also, from the drawings, the S1 should not exceed about 14 cm that you need between your motherboard and the case.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6294|New Haven, CT

ghettoperson wrote:

eEyOrE wrote:

Speed fan is 15 degrees of real temperature. I vote that.

The Arctic Cooling heatsink should be fine for 3.4.

I'll go into BIOS now and see what my idle temps with it are (I have the same processor, and the Freezer 7 Pro.)
eEyOrE
LINKS 2 3 4
+14|5966|Berlin, Germany

nukchebi0 wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

eEyOrE wrote:

I'll go into BIOS now and see what my idle temps with it are (I have the same processor, and the Freezer 7 Pro.)
well, i got to the 30°C because thats what the blue orb fx displays it to be, but ill check that BIOS thing anyway! oh, btw, do u know how to get Everest to show me my cpu temp?

thx!

eEyOrE
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6294|New Haven, CT

eEyOrE wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

well, i got to the 30°C because thats what the blue orb fx displays it to be, but ill check that BIOS thing anyway! oh, btw, do u know how to get Everest to show me my cpu temp?

thx!

eEyOrE
Sadly, no.

On topic of my other post, I get 30C idle in the BIOS at 3.4 GHz. I think that is rather acceptable.
eEyOrE
LINKS 2 3 4
+14|5966|Berlin, Germany
well, i just checked my BIOS idle cpu temp it was 20°C.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6294|New Haven, CT
That sounds about right.

I had my E6750 at 21C idling when at 2.66 Ghz.

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2008-01-20 02:43:21)

eEyOrE
LINKS 2 3 4
+14|5966|Berlin, Germany
did u ever check your temp while gaming?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard