nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6320|New Haven, CT
I want my S939 system to last for office use/web surfing until 2012. I currently have a single core 3200+, and was thinking a cheap $70 upgrade to a X2 3600+ Manchester (with an Arctic Cooling 64), would be a great way to increase performance and ensure that the computers lasts until then. Would this be a good buy, or no?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6819103222
RandomSchl
|\/|€|\/|߀|2
+52|6440|California
uhhh, you don't need a dual core to surf the web and type documents.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6320|New Haven, CT
I was just basing this off my experience for my other computer, where it became weaker than junk for picture heavy webpages the last two years of its six year  life. I know that the A64 3200+ was about the same relative level of performance as the K6 I had in the older computer when I bought it, so I thought the dual-core upgrade would move it above the same price point and ensure better performance. There will be some light gaming, too, I forgot to mention.
vpyroman
Aeon Supreme commander
+16|6613|UCF
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6194|Winland

Reformat it and don't fill it up with shit.

I have an 1600+ for surfing and such, and it's performing more than enough for web browsing, typing and office work.

Even my laptop works fine with that, and it's a fucking 466MHz 250nm Celeron with 256MB RAM!

As long as you don't have too much pure shit in it, dust it off sometimes and defrag every week, that computer'll last forever. Why? Because the web doesn't hug more power over time.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6732|Salt Lake City

vpyroman wrote:

get this, its better:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6819103493
His current choice is better.  The dual core he selected will provide much better multitasking capabilities, and it's built on the 90nm process.  That Clawhammer chip you recommended is still single core and built on the much older 130nm technology.
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6385|New York
If you aren't going to game where you probably will see the performance increase, I wouldn't bother. I've got a 3200+ too, but I'm waiting to do a full upgrade in about a year. I just have a hard time justifying an upgrade on a S939 board, when the chipset is dead. I'd recommend keeping the cpu and waiting to do a big upgrade like me sometime.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6806|Nårvei

heggs wrote:

If you aren't going to game where you probably will see the performance increase, I wouldn't bother. I've got a 3200+ too, but I'm waiting to do a full upgrade in about a year. I just have a hard time justifying an upgrade on a S939 board, when the chipset is dead. I'd recommend keeping the cpu and waiting to do a big upgrade like me sometime.
Goes for me aswell except i have 4000+ .... will not bother with a CPU upgrade until the next major upgrade of everything, this rig is 2,5 years old and still play games like Cod4 - will evaluate again when BF3 comes out
Wait behind the line ..............................................................

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard