Brasso
+1,549|6649

Okay, I've got a problem.  This morning, I turned on my computer.  Worked fine.  I shut it off.  I come home from school to find that the computer starts up (case fans, CPU fans, GPU fans, etc.) but something weird happens: The BIOS screen pops up for a second, then all monitor input is cut off.  My monitor gives me a "DVI no input signal" message shortly after.

I've tried both of my video card's DVI ports.  Help.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
lilbaily2
+12|6661|OH
It has to be a loose wire or something with your video card.
Brasso
+1,549|6649

lilbaily2 wrote:

It has to be a loose wire or something with your video card.
Everything's plugged in right and tight.  Both ends, video card and monitor.  And still, that wouldn't explain why it consistently shuts off 1 second after first displaying the BIOS screen.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6512|N. Ireland
Can you catch a glimpse of what the BIOS says?
Brasso
+1,549|6649

kylef wrote:

Can you catch a glimpse of what the BIOS says?
sure its the normal hit del to enter bios screen. Using my touch now.
ig
This topic seems to have no actual posts
+1,199|6541
your dvi cable went bad. same shit happened to me. try using a spare dvi or vga cable.
Brasso
+1,549|6649

ig wrote:

your dvi cable went bad. same shit happened to me. try using a spare dvi or vga cable.
ill look for one, thanks.  now using a laptop lol.

i'll let you guys know if that fixed the problem in a few...

edit: didn't fix the problem...i tried to put a converter on one of the two DVI ports on the graphics card, with a VGA cable connecting the converter to the monitor.

Last edited by haffeysucks (2008-01-16 10:27:08)

Brasso
+1,549|6649

didn't fix the problem...i tried to put a converter on one of the two DVI ports on the graphics card, with a VGA cable connecting the converter to the monitor.
ig
This topic seems to have no actual posts
+1,199|6541

haffeysucks wrote:

didn't fix the problem...i tried to put a converter on one of the two DVI ports on the graphics card, with a VGA cable connecting the converter to the monitor.
weird. idk what to tell you then man. it worked for me.
Brasso
+1,549|6649

ig wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

weird. idk what to tell you then man. it worked for me.
aight thanks anyway ig
GenLobo
+6|6836|California

haffeysucks wrote:

ig wrote:

edit: didn't fix the problem...i tried to put a converter on one of the two DVI ports on the graphics card, with a VGA cable connecting the converter to the monitor.
Test the monitor on your laptop just to make sure the monitor isn't bad.
If you can't get a display from your laptop then the monitor is bad. If you do then I would try swapping the GPU with a spare one if you have one.
Let me know if you need one. I'll send it your way.
Brasso
+1,549|6649

GenLobo wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

ig wrote:

If you can't get a display from your laptop then the monitor is bad. If you do then I would try swapping the GPU with a spare one if you have one.
oh gee, thanks man, although i can't let you do that.  i'll check if the monitor is bad.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6490
As already stated, lack of monitor input is either:

- Graphics card failing to send output.
- Monitor hardware failing (although this is least likely if it displays your BIOS settings with no visible problems)
- DVI cable not transferring the input/output signals.

I had this problem previously when I tried to run my first single 8800GTX through a VGA cable with DVI-male adaptors. The cable simply wouldn't trigger anything on the monitor, and thus the monitor was staying in a 'No Input' standby mode. You can get some great-quality gold plated DVI->DVI cables for $60-70. Will last you a long time . But of course, try the monitor with a different system/GPU first i.e. connect the monitor to your laptop and make sure the monitor operates fine, and try and swap to another graphics card (or possibly even onboard graphics if your motherboard supports it).
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Brasso
+1,549|6649

looks like the monitor is bad...just had the laptop image pop up on the monitor, then disappear, similar to the BIOS on my desktop.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6490

haffeysucks wrote:

looks like the monitor is bad...just had the laptop image pop up on the monitor, then disappear, similar to the BIOS on my desktop.
May be asking the obvious here but...

Are you connecting your monitor to your laptop using the same cable/s that you used to connect to your PC? If the monitors hardware can display the BIOS / startup screen, then this suggests that the components aren't actually broken. If it displays a clear-colour image then the monitor is still capable of projecting images.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Brasso
+1,549|6649

Uzique wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

May be asking the obvious here but...

Are you connecting your monitor to your laptop using the same cable/s that you used to connect to your PC? If the monitors hardware can display the BIOS / startup screen, then this suggests that the components aren't actually broken. If it displays a clear-colour image then the monitor is still capable of projecting images.
yeah, same cable, but i know this cable works....i used it before to connect my laptop to the HDTV.

but i'll look ofr another cable...
GenLobo
+6|6836|California

haffeysucks wrote:

GenLobo wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

oh gee, thanks man, although i can't let you do that.  i'll check if the monitor is bad.
Well if you need it, its there bro.

No problem at all to get it to ya.
Brasso
+1,549|6649

Thanks Gen, I'll probably borrow a video card from a nearby friend if that's the case.  Thanks so much though.

uhh can't find another cable though.
Brasso
+1,549|6649

used a different cable, monitor does the same thing.
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6544|South Florida

haffeysucks wrote:

No clue why the monitor would display something then fail. Is there a 'factory default' setting you can change your monitor to? and while it says 'no signal detected' can you still go into the menu of the monitor and change settings? if you can then i highly doubt theres anything wrong with the monitor. Try finding a factory default.

Last edited by Mitch (2008-01-16 11:07:25)

15 more years! 15 more years!
Brasso
+1,549|6649

Mitch wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

No clue why the monitor would display something then fail. Is there a 'factory default' setting you can change your monitor to? and while it says 'no signal detected' can you still go into the menu of the monitor and change settings? if you can then i highly doubt theres anything wrong with the monitor. Try finding a factory default.
no, i can't get into the menu.  or else i would try doing exactly what you did.

man this is really bothering me!  it works fine then conks out!
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6544|South Florida

haffeysucks wrote:

Mitch wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

Ahh now that you say it its sounding like a monitor failure. How long have you had this monitor? Do you turn it on/off a lot with the power button? (ive heard that can cause long term damage)
What kind of warrenty do you have? This is a perfect example of how warrenties rock.
Brasso
+1,549|6649

Mitch wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

Mitch wrote:

Ahh now that you say it its sounding like a monitor failure. How long have you had this monitor? Do you turn it on/off a lot with the power button? (ive heard that can cause long term damage)
What kind of warrenty do you have? This is a perfect example of how warrenties rock.
no, i actually never turn it on or off.  i turn off my computer and it goes in a standby kinda mode (the light turns yellow instead of green).  i bought it in april of 07.  1 year warranty.

although during the summer of 07, i melted a little of the top part of the monitor with a halogen lamp (yeah, it was stupid, dont ask), and i'm afraid they'll think that's the reason the monitor failed.  think i can melt it back or something?

edit: btw this is the monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6824224008

Last edited by haffeysucks (2008-01-16 11:27:40)

Mitch
16 more years
+877|6544|South Florida

haffeysucks wrote:

Mitch wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

no, i actually never turn it on or off.  i turn off my computer and it goes in a standby kinda mode (the light turns yellow instead of green).  i bought it in april of 07.  1 year warranty.

although during the summer of 07, i melted a little of the top part of the monitor with a halogen lamp (yeah, it was stupid, dont ask), and i'm afraid they'll think that's the reason the monitor failed.  think i can melt it back or something?

edit: btw this is the monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6824224008
That might be the reason the monitor failed.
And you could just say you don't know how it got there. Or you could say that it just happened recently right before the monitor failed.
I would call up Tyris and see what they tell you. Heres there support page:

http://www.tyrisweb.com/001/usa/index.p … edwarranty

They have an email and phone number a ways down.
Brasso
+1,549|6649

Mitch wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

Mitch wrote:

That might be the reason the monitor failed.
And you could just say you don't know how it got there. Or you could say that it just happened recently right before the monitor failed.
I would call up Tyris and see what they tell you. Heres there support page:

http://www.tyrisweb.com/001/usa/index.p … edwarranty

They have an email and phone number a ways down.
it was a LONG time ago though...thanks for all the help mitch, looks like an RMA request is in order.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard