Dragonclaw
+186|6329|Florida

Mitch wrote:

Blahblahblah
Fuck off. Youre worse than nukchebi0 and his anti piracy raids on every thread on the forum. No one gives a shit that youre an athiest, good for you now shut the fuck up because no one else cares. I only watched the first half of the first video and those guys dont know shit all about what theyre talking about.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6562|Long Island, New York
Mitch, why do you feel the need to CONSTANTLY tell people you're atheist? Once is enough!

You talk all this shit about other religions, but atleast the majority of them don't go door to door on go online posting every day and trying to tell everyone about how they don't believe in god.
NooBesT
Pizzahitler
+873|6493

Hypocrites.
https://i.imgur.com/S9bg2.png
Balok77
+28|6172
dont be so childish, let people beleive in what they want to beleive
Christbane
+51|6259
holy shit!  ok im really not sure what I am.  other then annoyed right now.   this is why atheists can be just as annoying as the people they complain about!
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6469|The Land of Scott Walker
2 vids and a website are a very thin reason to reject any given faith.  You are correct that every Christian sins, we don't become robots without free will when we accept Christ's salvation.  I'm curious why you focused only on Christianity?  What about Islam, Buddhist, Hinduism, Mormonism ...
stef10
+173|6506|Denmark
Well, I must say that the first vid was just so funny. Man, I think those guys are dumb. That program is so unintelligent its crazy. I could find several vids of scientists on youtube claiming the opposite of what that video shows and it would be much more convincing.
Unzombified_Zombie
I'm a furry, get over it :3
+9|6187|Grantham, England

rdx-fx wrote:

yes.. reading books.. dead tree edition.  In the dark ages before Wikipedia and Google.  By the light of my campfire, while eating my freshly killed wooly mammoth.
Just gotta love those books

But I'll stick to being agnostic thx. I respect other peoples religion, they respect my scepticism and cynicism. Fair deal tbh.

Last edited by Unzombified_Zombie (2008-01-16 09:33:00)

Drakef
Cheeseburger Logicist
+117|6386|Vancouver

Major.League.Infidel wrote:

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/6043 … ftlde6.jpg

I believe what I choose to, kthxbye.
This image is completely inaccurate. To learn what atheism is, read my signature.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6471|Chicago, IL
Some of you guys follow atheism as blindly as some Christians and Muslims follow their faith...

And Mitch, you're still going through the "I'm right and you're wrong, end of debate, retard" stage, so I'll let this one pass.

As for atheism in general, you cannot prove that there isn't a god, in the same way that religious groups cannot prove there is, so why can't we just live and let live?
Drakef
Cheeseburger Logicist
+117|6386|Vancouver

SharkyMcshark wrote:

Let me preface this by saying that for all intents and purposes Im an Atheist, BUT...

Jesus that made me sick. It really is very offensive to go around calling people's religious text's repulsive (unless the person is muslim, in which case its perfectly fine! /sarcasm), and to call their religious icons idiots. And don't get me wrong, Im not one of those types that doesn't get parody. I love parody, in fact it's one of my favourite forms of humour.

Besides, I thought the whole point of atheism was that we were fed up with people preaching down our throats?

And I'm not even going into refuting the arguments listed in the video (to sum it all up AFAIK the Church at around the time of Vatican II stated that the Old Testament was no longer relevant compared to the New Testament/should not be taken at explicit face value... I think).

Point is invalid arguments aside that video really is quite the stupid.
Why should we necessarily respect religion, and their texts and icons?
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6562|Long Island, New York

rdx-fx wrote:

He's 16, FFS. Give him a little slack for youthful exuberance.

I'm an Atheist too - At his age, I was reading Friedrich Nietzsche and Ayn Rand.

Atheists tend to mellow a bit with age - the truly evangelizing religious just get more loopy and pushy with age.

Edit: yes.. reading books.. dead tree edition.  In the dark ages before Wikipedia and Google.  By the light of my campfire, while eating my freshly killed wooly mammoth.
I'm 15, and when I was an atheist (I'm a re-born jew if you can call it that) I never felt the need to tell anyone. Especially to this extent.

It's getting ridiculous.
AAFCptKabbom
+127|6682|WPB, FL. USA
Last time I heard Penn and Teller are illusionist and actors (pretenders), people who say or do anything for money because they have no real ability to function or be productive to society - the type of people who constantly do things for shock value and go against the grain to keep attention focused on themselves - they wouldn't get any play by saying they were Christians or spoke of morale values to their audiences now would they.

"Penn & Teller are eccentric magicians with a psychotic twist."  (from their website)

If you're an atheist then that's your thing.  However, you don't see me or anyone else posting clips of our religion trying to convert/recruit you or putting your believes down - besides we don't want your lame ass anyway
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6549|South Florida

Major.League.Infidel wrote:

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/6043 … ftlde6.jpg

I believe what I choose to, kthxbye.
i c wut you did thar.
15 more years! 15 more years!
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6645|London, England
I don't think I'm really religious either, but I'd still never call myself Athiest. Stupid ass term imo, can't you just say you're not really a religious person?
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6549|South Florida

S.Lythberg wrote:

Some of you guys follow atheism as blindly as some Christians and Muslims follow their faith...
Absolutly wrong.
I challenge ANYONE to provide me with enough proof that there god is real. I don't follow Atheism blindly. Atheism is the lack of the foggy goggles of religion that most people where. Take em off, and see the world clearly.

And yeah i guess i am an evengelical atheist, but im proud of it. I haven't once complained about someone pushing there religion in my face, i love when they do, i love debating it.

Mek-Izzle wrote:

I don't think I'm really religious either, but I'd still never call myself Athiest. Stupid ass term imo, can't you just say you're not really a religious person?
You could. But a lot of people are proud of there lack of god, and there non-conformity.

Last edited by Mitch (2008-01-16 09:59:48)

15 more years! 15 more years!
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6492

Mitch wrote:

Mek-Izzle wrote:

You could. But a lot of people are proud of there lack of god, and there non-conformity.
Yeah, and and changing your fundamental beliefs because a 16 year old on the internet told you to is super-nonconformist.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6023|...

Mitch wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

Absolutly wrong.
I challenge ANYONE to provide me with enough proof that there god is real. I don't follow Atheism blindly. Atheism is the lack of the foggy goggles of religion that most people where. Take em off, and see the world clearly.

And yeah i guess i am an evengelical atheist, but im proud of it. I haven't once complained about someone pushing there religion in my face, i love when they do, i love debating it.

Mek-Izzle wrote:

So you have indesputable proof god certainly doesn't exist?

Why do you believe in atheism?

Why do you look down upon religious people?

You know, religion isn't a problem, it's people that look down upon eachother for their beliefs. I'm getting sick and tired of it; the gold rule should be:

Keep thy religion to thyself.

Don't know from which comedian this was but his point was incredibly valid, even more so to this discussion.
inane little opines
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6154|North Tonawanda, NY

dayarath wrote:

So you have indesputable proof god certainly doesn't exist?
Be careful with that argument.  Do you have indisputable proof that God does exist?

dayarath wrote:

You know, religion isn't a problem, it's people that look down upon eachother for their beliefs. I'm getting sick and tired of it; the gold rule should be:

Keep thy religion to thyself.

Don't know from which comedian this was but his point was incredibly valid, even more so to this discussion.
The wise words of George Carlin.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5985|Washington DC
C'mon Mitch, man... I'm an atheist as well, but going around proclaiming to the world that you're an atheist is as bad as evangelicals pushing their religion down people's throats. I figure, as long as they aren't extremists, people can choose to believe whatever they want. I don't necessarily think that Atheism is the "right" way (although I do like how atheistic beliefs don't cause brouhahas over things like stem cell research), I just personally don't believe in a supreme being.

And remember Mitch, you can't be a non-conformist. You're just conforming with everyone who calls themselves a non-conformist
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6429|North Carolina
I think they once had an Allahisimaginary.com, but it got bombed.  j/k

I can relate to some of what Penn & Teller are saying, but I'd like to see them take on Islam as well.
Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6352

Mitch wrote:

First of all, you don't have to have a Religion to have faith in God. Religion is just like, a freaking group (A book club or something) of people who share all the same ideas based on their Religion. It's a way of uniting people together to worship with each other their God. (And to have PAncake breakfasts) Do you atheists have pancake breakfasts? I didn't THINK SO.

See, we all have our problems with Religions, but who really has a problem with GOD? There isn't anything wrong with having you're own believe that God exists and created human kind out of his love and compassion. He gave us free will, with that comes greed and many other vices. This is the only reason why we are so misguided as a species. (Oh, and the fact religions war against each other, that's part of the problem)

So if we just would stop with this argument about God and Religion/Atheism we as a people could focus more on compromising with each other and bettering our lives for the sake of humanity, rather then the sake of some deity or lack there of.

edit: replaced the word virtues with vices (wrong meaning)

Last edited by Im_Dooomed (2008-01-16 18:36:36)

Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6435|'Murka

It's OK, so long as you stay away from that bad shit in Deuteronomy.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
CommieChipmunk
+488|6594|Portland, OR, USA
Oh the irony!  I hate religions because they try to recruit for what they believe is right.. If I start hating atheists for doing the same what do I have left?!

SenorToenails wrote:

some_random_panda wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Why is it that some of you think that believing in religion automatically makes you stupid?
Because they can't be wrong.  Hell, no.
What?  Wouldn't it then be ignorance that makes people stupid?  Religion does not make people ignorant, or intolerant.  This thread shows that.
I think that religion requires a certain degree of ignorance though...

In any case, please stop recruiting for your belief system... it's pathetic...
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5985|Washington DC
And I also don't think religion is all evil. The peace-loving aspects of REAL Islam (not radical Islam)... fine by me! The "good-neighbor" teachings of the REAL Christianity (not the radical Christianity, e.g. Fred Phelps and his crazy inbred followers)... sounds good!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard