Dersmikner
+147|6496|Texas
Foregoing magic, time travel, shenanigans, and other bullshit, what do you really think the horrible problems on our planet are, and how the hell would you fix them?

Would you kill off all the African dictators and have general elections?

Would you carve up Israel and create a Palestinian state, get rid of Israel entirely, or tell the Palestinians to go fuck themselves?

Would you change the U.S. electoral system?

Let's narrow it:

Address the following as World Uber-Dictator:

1. Israel / Palestine

2. Africa (I'm talking poverty, malnutrition, death squads and AIDS all in one)

3. The World Economy as it relates to distribution of wealth (Haves and Havenots and how you'd fix it if you think there's a problem at all)

4. Terrorism (feel free to interpret as you wish, even by saying the U.S. and Europe are the real problem)

5. The oil situation (meaning either the oil companies, our dependence on foreign oil, or the use of the shit at all)

6. Personal rights (gay marriage, abortion, smoking, et al)

7. The environment (is global warming bullshit, is everything fine, if it's not fine what the hell are you going to do to fix it?)

I'm just interested in knowing how the hell all of us know-it-alls would really fix all these issues, given unlimited power. After I see some responses I'll make one but I hate to start first and just end up getting things derailed because of my Ultra-Capitalist Libertarian attitudes.

Last edited by Dersmikner (2008-01-14 12:23:13)

kn0ckahh
+98|6736|netherlands, sweet lake city
I would kill everybody except the hippy's

edit spelling

Last edited by kn0ckahh (2008-01-14 12:21:36)

SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6128|North Tonawanda, NY
As ultimate dictator for one day, my first act would be to realize that one day is too short of a time to make any lasting difference.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5959|Washington DC
I'll try and answer the ones I have a better grasp on:

Africa: Remove the dictators and set up systems that prevent so much corruption. We're hardly a shining example, but the democratic system of the US would be one good system. Bring technological advances to Africa so they're up to date with the world, remove monopolies of mining companies and such so there are more jobs. Bring modern medicine to Africa to prevent malaria and treat AIDS.

Oil: Stop using it ASAP. Spend lots on alternate fuel research.

Personal Rights: Gay marriage would be legalized (why the hell shouldn't it be), abortion would be legal for certain circumstances (rape, high risk of life-threatening or damaging complications at birth, etc) and better funding for parental planning so that people who just get knocked up by being irresponsible know what the hell they're doing... worst comes to worst, better adoption systems. Smoking can stay legal, and alcohol age should be lowered to 18 (seriously, you can get your leg blown off in Iraq when you're 17 but when you come back home you can't get a damn beer?).

Environment: Who gives a damn if global warming is happening or not... we should still take measures to prevent it from happening and to improve the environment. Boost funding for things like low-power things (like LED lighting), tighter restrictions on use of toxic chemicals, and as I said earlier, much much more funding for alternate energy sources like solar, wind, nuclear (more than anything what to do with the waste).
jord
+2,382|6676|The North, beyond the wall.
1. Leave it alone.

2. Leave it alone. Limit national donations to them.

3. Not a problem, England prevails.

4. I'm wondering whether or not it would be cheaper to carpet bomb Iraq on nuke it. Nukes are expensive. And just carry on with Afghanistan only increase numbers there by 30%. As soldiers would of left Iraq.

5. Carry on buying it...?

6. Smoking is fine. Everywhere. Abortion is fine. Gay marriage is fine, just no gay stuff in public places.

7. Environment is fine. Could do we a 2 degree rise here. Would give us a sorta Spanish climate.
AutralianChainsaw
+65|6196

Dersmikner wrote:

Foregoing magic, time travel, shenanigans, and other bullshit, what do you really think the horrible problems on our planet are, and how the hell would you fix them?

Would you carve up Israel and create a Palestinian state, get rid of Israel entirely, or tell the Palestinians to go fuck themselves?

Let's narrow it:

1. Israel / Palestine

3. The World Economy as it relates to distribution of wealth (Haves and Havenots and how you'd fix it if you think there's a problem at all)

4. Terrorism (feel free to interpret as you wish, even by saying the U.S. and Europe are the real problem)

5. The oil situation (meaning either the oil companies, our dependence on foreign oil, or the use of the shit at all)

7. The environment (is global warming bullshit, is everything fine, if it's not fine what the hell are you going to do to fix it?)

I'm just interested in knowing how the hell all of us know-it-alls would really fix all these issues, given unlimited power. After I see some responses I'll make one but I hate to start first and just end up getting things derailed because of my Ultra-Capitalist Libertarian attitudes.
Nice thread!

1- Remove Israel and relocate it in the US.  pals will be happy and Israelis will be safe.

2- Leave it alone.

3- Leave it like this.

4- Terrorism will dissapear when we will remove the motivation of the terrorists (Israel, US presence in the middle east)

5- Develop an electric car

6- people have the right to do whatever they want as long as it doesnt hurt other people physically or economically.

7- see #5, electric car will reduce emmisions a lot.. give huge penalities to polluter
David.P
Banned
+649|6271
1-7 Kill everyone.
PeoNinja
Ninja Fart - Silent but Deadly
+31|6196
Only hippies and rastas would live after im done
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6527|Global Command
1. Israel / Palestine

I presumably have a elite force, naval, air power etc, so I would nullify all borders, outlaw religion in politics and institute a system where representatives of each community would be selected at random, like jury service to fill job descriptions now filled by life long career government employees. Offices like state controller, mayors, senators would be staffed by those selected for about two years, regardless of their performance they would rotate out and new people, randomly selected from the population would take over.
Under your scenario I am uber dictator and simply would not tolerate ethnic fighting and or corruption.       

As above, there would be one budget for the world, the government would take no more than it needed to run ( also as above, no corruption is allow as they penalty is death )

There would be no limits except those which caused harm to others. Abortion as birth control would not be acceptable, there would be an expectation that each person would be socially responsible. Criminals, abortionist  and other assorted riff raff not qualifying for death would be the ones working the mines and cleaning toilets.   

Purposeful pollution would be a capital offense.
deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6490|Connecticut
Funny, I would off the hippies. hhm.
Malloy must go
Bull3t
stephen brule
+83|6299

David.P wrote:

1-7 Kill everyone.
live in peace mannnnn cheaaaaaaa!
XanKrieger
iLurk
+60|6656|South West England
I honestly don't know where to start, but believe me, it would be a long and unorthadox list of things
GuliblGuy
Zulu son, what!?!
+79|6783|Anaheim, CA

SenorToenails wrote:

As ultimate dictator for one day, my first act would be to realize that one day is too short of a time to make any lasting difference.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6553
1. Israel / Palestine

Right of return for refugee Palestinians. Palestinian state on 1967 borders. Reparations to be paid to those on both sides of the conflict whose properties have been damaged/taken during the conflict. 

Fuck em. Learn some responsibility. If a drought or some such catastrophe befalls them throw them a few tonnes of rice and medicine.

Enforce truly fair trade globally with protectionism implemented to prevent rapage of the vulnerable.

Fortress Europe - secure borders and extra domestic vigilance measures - with a massive nuclear deterrent maintained at ten times the amount any potential aggressor could muster.

Put the billions being spent on warfare into energy R & D. Get ourselves weaned off that oily poison.

No gay marriage, yes abortion, smoke as long as you don't impinge on the health of others, etc.

Preserve our limited natural resources through renewable technologies, etc. Doesn't matter if GW is bullshit or not.

Short and not very well thought through. There ye go.
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6548|CH/BR - in UK

Dersmikner wrote:

1. Israel / Palestine
Make them make peace, get Israel to make an agreement with the arab nations on getting rid of WMDs. See CamPoe's solution
Exile the dictators, build a new infrastructre from ground up, take money previously invetsed in war to make education problems (not just academic, but also on plantations etc.)
Proportional Taxation, strictly regulated welfare programs
If all of the above succeeds, terrorism should be minimized.
Invest some of the USA's war money into finding alternative solutions and subsidizing them.
Gay marriage: no (call it anything else and include the same rights, but not marriage)
Abortion: up to 12 weeks
Smoking: In your own personal space - designated smoking areas in restaurants, or no smoking at all (including glass to keep all the smoke in one place)
Weed: stays illegal
See above (ie oil) + invest in technology to reverse the damage.

-konfusion
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6403|North Carolina

SenorToenails wrote:

Exactly
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6548|CH/BR - in UK

Turquoise wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Exactly
I made my points with the assumtion that the things I said will be carried out after I'm gone.

-konfusion
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA

kn0ckahh wrote:

edit spelling
I wouldn't kill anyone EXCEPT the fuckin hippies!! (who are probably liberals so I got that base covered as well). All the worlds problems are hereby SOLVED. Now, on with earning a living, all of the leeches have been removed.
djphetal
Go Ducks.
+346|6333|Oregon

lowing wrote:

kn0ckahh wrote:

edit spelling
I wouldn't kill anyone EXCEPT the fuckin hippies!! (who are probably liberals so I got that base covered as well). All the worlds problems are hereby SOLVED. Now, on with earning a living, all of the leeches have been removed.
with all the liberals in the world gone, I give it... 5, maybe 6 years before everyone's dead.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6641
I would resign and hold general elections
David.P
Banned
+649|6271

Bull3t wrote:

David.P wrote:

1-7 Kill everyone.
live in peace mannnnn cheaaaaaaa!
/neck

Last edited by David.P (2008-01-14 18:37:58)

S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6444|Chicago, IL

Dersmikner wrote:

Let's narrow it:

1. Israel / Palestine

One government, comprised of both Palestinians and Israelis, not allowed to back a religious agenda or accept funds from religious groups.

re-draw borders to more closely fit ethnic/tribal boundaries, Tribes willing to work together can join an African Union, which will be similar in structure and purpose to the EU.

fix the schools, and eliminate gangs (violently if necessary), to pull poor people out of the cycle of poverty.

install secular governments (can still be dictatorships) in the middle east to eliminate government support, and encourage proper schooling and equality for women (yeah, if you don't use 50% of your workforce, you're gonna be a poor country)

synthetic fuels (I suggest kelp-based)

as long as they pay the marriage tax, why should I care? 

I'm still torn on abortion myself.

Smoking will be illegal outside of your own property (you guys throw those things all over the damn place)

legalize marijuana, but tax the hell out of it (same as regular smoking) and treat it like alcohol (decide on a limit).

all other drugs will remain illegal

recycle, and keep emissions down to a reasonable level, but no doomsday theories and impossible goals.

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA

djphetal wrote:

lowing wrote:

kn0ckahh wrote:

edit spelling
with all the liberals in the world gone, I give it... 5, maybe 6 years before everyone's dead.
Good, then maybe I can finally have some well deserved peace and quite.
.:ronin:.|Patton
Respekct dad i love u always
+946|6807|Marathon, Florida Keys
Detonate all the nukes in the world in one spot and see what happened. The fallout would probably kill everyone/everything on earth.
https://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/patton1337/stats.jpg
twiistaaa
+87|6666|mexico

CameronPoe wrote:

Fuck em. Learn some responsibility. If a drought or some such catastrophe befalls them throw them a few tonnes of rice and medicine.
yeah how about we throw you in the middle of the congo and see how your superior learned responsibility gets you out of it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard