motherdear
+25|6665|Denmark/Minnesota (depends)
well would it be nice that you would be able to use your giille suit properly by going into an option so that you can press G and pick up the grass/dig in the desert to camoflage, in real life the snipers are educated to use the materials in the area they are in to make a new sniper suit after need, they only need to put a leaves in here and put a few sticks in there and customice the suit after the enviroment, this would make him harder to spot but also easier to spot if he is a bush running around in a desert or something like that make the sniper real and give him a sniper range he can practice on and customice his suit and weapon for his kind of gameplay.
hurricane2oo5
Do One Ya Mug !!!
+176|6778|mansfield
yeh that would be cool. also when camoflaged up that fuckin commanders scan cant fuckin see you . sorry bout all the fuckins
bigelectricat
+3|6705

hurricane2oo5 wrote:

yeh that would be cool. also when camoflaged up that fuckin commanders scan cant fuckin see you . sorry bout all the fuckins
you from brooklyn new york? you seen to know the brooklyn alphabet. fuckin-a, fuckin-b, fuckin-c...
HisInfernalDeath
+23|6738|Belgium
This would be a fuckin great idea !!
I really hope this option will be possible in oncoming patches.. ! Nice thinkin' motherdear ! (?) :-)
Cbass
Kick His Ass!
+371|6708|Howell, Mi USA
fuck'a T.. it's got handles
https://bf3s.com/sigs/bb53a522780eff5b30ba3252d44932cc2f5b8c4f.png
Pernicious544
Zee Tank Skank
+80|6714|MoVal So-Cal
I was playng on mashtuur city and I was sniper. Instead of hiding in the obvious water tower i decided to hide in the bushes that are nearby. The point of this was that i went 28 and 0 for that round because
A. They could never see me
B. The Mec would always run right at me across the ditch and never know where i was
C. I was in the "zone"
khmer
+86|6691|Central California
Yeah kinda like that army commercial. The sniper looks like part of the terrain with only his sniper rifle sticking out and he was just scouting out the enemy from a distance. Have you seen that commercial? That would be awesome if you could be invisible like that.

Last edited by khmer (2006-02-15 14:55:01)

Freshmetal
+0|6675
1) that would kick ass and i would use sniper more.
2)khmer, make the dictionary ur friend
howler_27
+90|6701
Not to disrespect your post, but isn't the main priority of a true sniper to blend into his surroundings with the given available resources.  Adaptability is the key to survival for a sniper team.   Therefore, make due with what you have and don't put yourself into a position where you will be noticed.  I agree that cammo masking would be cool, but on the other hand, I'd rather be taking heads off of people instead of tying branches all around me for half of a game. 

That being said, I'll see you on the battlefield...

...but you won't see me.  lol
motherdear
well ofcourse you should use what you got it's just if you are hiding in the grass you should be able to refit your suit let's say in 20 seconds and your suit is fitted for the enviroment, i always use my camo as it should be and i am good at it i just say make it like real life a sniper don't go into an area with the wrong kind of kamo neither should we. the us army sniper test you gotta sneak up on the instructor and he got a scope to spot you you start out at 1000 meters and you gotta get to 100 meters and fire a blank shot at him and then he try to find you and after a minute you fire again. so you gotta be able to melt into the enviroment if you want to do that, there is a different enviroment in each map so we gotta be customiced for the map
howler_27
+90|6701
I know about the sniper school, and it's intensive qualifications.  I agree that the altering of cammo would be a nice touch, but I'd rather see true distances come into play with the rifles before that, lol.  Either way, you brought up an interesting twist that would definately alter the game in a positive way from the "sniper" point of view.
motherdear
i made a post about making the distance better and the sniper deffiantly need the binoceils that can find the distance between you and the target

sorry for the spelling couldn't remember the correct words sometimes hope you understood it anyway
Swainy
+1|6666|UK, England
If snipers have to wait for their target for some time they tend to dig a dugout for even better concealment.
The british sniper training includes a test on whether they camoflage themself to the point that the spotter cannot spot them from about 10 meters.
Would be neat to take a shovel out and dig a foxhole in the sand, but it just not right for the game BF2 is.
=11th.cav=Lee
+1|6686|Waddinxveen, The Netherlands

motherdear wrote:

well would it be nice that you would be able to use your giille suit properly by going into an option so that you can press G and pick up the grass/dig in the desert to camoflage, in real life the snipers are educated to use the materials in the area they are in to make a new sniper suit after need, they only need to put a leaves in here and put a few sticks in there and customice the suit after the enviroment, this would make him harder to spot but also easier to spot if he is a bush running around in a desert or something like that make the sniper real and give him a sniper range he can practice on and customice his suit and weapon for his kind of gameplay.
I agree with you on that.
BUT, it has to be easier.
So it has to be made 'normal', when you go prone, you melt into the surroundings.
and for peeps with low video settings, this has to be accounted for, the view distance to see/spot the sniper-kit players has to be lowered drasticly.
joker8baller
+68|6680
What we need is a silenced sniper rifle... because once I hear the bang of the m95, or the crack w/ the dragnov(sp?) I look for the sniper... not too hard to find.
Trigger_Happy_92
Uses the TV missle too much
+394|6663
nice double post. but IRL, silencers are the biggest thing youve ever seen. to get the silencer for the M95, it would have to be 4 feet long, and apprximatly 35 pounds. no, i am not kidding. Just like on the pistols. imagine your silenced pistol was scaled up to the size of the M95. see how big the silencer is?
motherdear
silencer would ruin the would game, you would not have a chance against the sniper, if you could melt into the enviroment you would be able to be harder to spot therefore no need for silencers and by the way snipers snipe at 200+ meters distance,
Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6710|Germany
I said it before and I'm gonna say it again:THe only thing the sniper in BF2 needs is a more accurate rifle.
=11th.cav=Lee
+1|6686|Waddinxveen, The Netherlands

Trigger_Happy_92 wrote:

nice double post. but IRL, silencers are the biggest thing youve ever seen. to get the silencer for the M95, it would have to be 4 feet long, and apprximatly 35 pounds. no, i am not kidding. Just like on the pistols. imagine your silenced pistol was scaled up to the size of the M95. see how big the silencer is?
some like this http://guns.connect.fi/rs/barrsup1.jpg
but it wont be 35 pounds like you said. it adds a lot of weight though but not that much.

motherdear wrote:

silencer would ruin the would game, you would not have a chance against the sniper, if you could melt into the enviroment you would be able to be harder to spot therefore no need for silencers and by the way snipers snipe at 200+ meters distance,
thats the whole idea, not having a chance against a sniper, never seen the movies; real and fiction?!?!.

Mj.Blindfisch wrote:

I said it before and I'm gonna say it again:THe only thing the sniper in BF2 needs is a more accurate rifle.
So true!
CrazeD
+368|6686|Maine

motherdear wrote:

200 meters? IRL, snipers snipe at nearly two miles..

An M16 shoots further than 200 meters.
cohen1976
+14|6781
thats a fucking good idea, now these fucking commanders wont be abble to throw fucking art on ur fucking head. fucking EA and fucking dice better give us this fucking option fucking fast or il burn ther fucking office!!!
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6857|Bryan/College Station, TX
Since we are referencing real life here.

1) Targets for snipers are rarely combat oriented. i.e. they are not in the middle of an all out fire fight.  They are usually in a non-combat situation where they take out targets of importance. (With exception of point 2)

2) When used in a combat situation (i.e. Vietnam or WWII for best examples) the situation is not nearly as fast paced as it is in BF2. You don't have people constantly on the move and spriting everywhere. They move in formations or take cover in static positions. You have at least 7 seconds to take a bead and fire even in a heated urban conflict. In this game you maybe have a few seconds if you are lucky.

3) You don't need a head shot to kill an enemy in real life. You do in the game.

4) In the game you look up on the hill and you see the sniper obviously as they are silloutted against the sky in a position that doesn't even look like it has any cover. Hills in the game are bare except for the occasional bush or tree. Meanwhile anyone who have seen most hills would see rocks, bushes, tall grass, trees. Alot of things to blend into and take cover. In urban warfare snipers are relagated to the top of buildings or obvious camping spots in the game. In real life they could be anywhere in the city, firing from just about any location. If every single building in the game could be entered and every single window could be used as a sniper location, I guarentee you that you would have on hell of a time finding a sniper in the game.

5) UAV should not show snipers if they are under cover. It's just an ariel camera for petesakes. If you can't see them with your naked eye then the UAV won't be of much help unless it has some infared sensor on it.

So things that could benefit this game that are within reason...

a) Have more interactive buildings so there are more options to set up rifle.
b) Allow rifle to be steadied on static objects like sandbags, window sills for more accurate fire.
c) Increase zoom option as it is rather pathetic right now. However limited it may be due to the equaly pathetic viewing distance of the game engine. Anyone who flies knows what I am talking about.
d) Add more clutter static objects to the landscape making it more realistic in some locations also giving static cover to not only snipers but also squads on the move.
e) Make the damn sniper rifle more accurate. It's rather silly for someone to take careful aim at the head of a stationary soldier within 100m and not hit them at all, even after 3 shots! (yes taking in elevation and bullet drop also)

Well that's my speal.

They already said they would include the "G" option to pick up your claymores but they took that out supposedly because some programing difficulties. Whatever.

Last edited by kilroy0097 (2006-02-13 06:08:55)

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
lsof
+0|6667
Kilroy0097 makes some profound points in a-e. I would add that it seems whoever developed the Sniper class did not do it any justice. The beginning sniper rifles are total crap. You can't hit jack with them in one shot. The American sniper rifle is possibly the worst primary weapon in the game. And just look at the crosshairs of the Chinese sniper rifle; at 200 meters, you should be able to choose in which eye to shoot the enemy. I would rather snipe with a Spec Ops' M4 or one of the Assault rifles; at least you can hit something. Without special and abundant cover, I'm not sure the Sniper class has a viable place in this game. You cannot even crawl into spaces between many objects and a building, as the game does not recognize these nooks as such.
grassykno11
+0|6660
that would be sweet,but the problem would be everyone would be camping the entire game.and that my friend would be boring.snipe you later ;)
StudMuffin21
+1|6660
Some really good points have been made here.  There are a lot of things that apply to sucessfully sniping a target (or several targets).  Camo is one of them.  I own 3 Ghillie suits, and use them whenever needed.  They work great.  Even as close as 2 or 3 yards I can't be seen.  But there is more to sniping than camo.  You have to have skill.  You need to know where to hide, how to hide, when to stay put, and when to move to avoid your discovery.  You also need to take into account the fact of shadows.  As the day progresses, shadows move, and will cover or uncover your position.  Other things in your surounding such as trees, grass, brush, rocks, etc..... also are important to good concelment.
That said, weapons are also important.  Some situations may require supressors (silencers).  Weather it be for the high volume of the bullet leaving the rifle barell, or for visual aspects such as with Barrett.  But neither is more important than the other.  They must work together.

With that in mind, this game is neither good or bad for snipers.  If you're creative, and really know what you're doing, you can sucessfully neutralized several targets without being seen or heard.  My most favored game was where I neutralized 25 targets without dying once!!  Research of the area needs to be done to find where to hide, and where to stay away from.  So, in the sence of this just being a game, snipers are OK.

NOW!  This game is in no way realistic for snipers.  They are spotted much too easily.  In real life, I could neutralize several targets, and then leave the area without my existance ever being known.  As with the game that is not true.  Reason being is that for one, once you're dead, you can be revived, or spawn.  Then you will know approximately where the "killer" is.  Another reason was already addressed in this topic.  There arn't enough vegitation in the game, not enough detail to hide yourself.  And you can't crawl into spots like in real life.  It would be good if better detail could be done, but that would take too much computing power, and hours upon hours upon hours of progrming in addition to what is already done.  Even making better Ghillie suits that change for your environment would take way too much time to create (as things such as wind, time of day, clouds, vegetation, etc...have to be taken into account).

You can look all you want, but I'll never be found.
"One shot; One kill" US Army Special Forces Sniper Team.
"Don't run, you'll just die tired" Sniper School.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard