CBRacky
+0|6748
i am in the airforce.  it really depends on your personal preference.  navy, chances are you might be on a ship for at least 6months at a time, or not.  or you could be airforce, and stay cushy at you're base (except for deployments).  but everybody makes fun of airforce people because we live like kings compared to the marines or the army (which i have no problem with).  you're choice really.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6753

CBRacky wrote:

i am in the airforce.  it really depends on your personal preference.  navy, chances are you might be on a ship for at least 6months at a time, or not.  or you could be airforce, and stay cushy at you're base (except for deployments).  but everybody makes fun of airforce people because we live like kings compared to the marines or the army (which i have no problem with).  you're choice really.
That is true about the Air force living like kings if you compare their living quarters and food to the Marines.  However, it depends on what you idea of living like a king is.  I found nothing more gratifying then spending days and days in the field, sleeping on dirt or sand, eating MRE's, and taking baby wipe showers.  There is nothing better then having a drinking contest with some of the finest men on this earth, The Royal Marines.  If you want a recliner and a big screen TV every night after work, then join the Air Force.  If you want to be on patrol for eight hours starting at 10pm,  after getting two hours sleep, then join the Suck.

Last edited by usmarine2005 (2006-02-11 16:33:22)

gsxrpilot
+6|6642|Cincinnati, Oh

Aegis wrote:

gsxrpilot wrote:

Once again, no. The Marines are an independent service that works closely with the Navy.
Wrong.

The Marine Corps is a department of the Navy.   

Semper Fi
No.. you're really wrong. The Marines are in The Department of the Navy. They have their own chain of command and their own representative on the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Semper Fi - you're a fucking Marine and you don't know this?

I've got a joke for you, then:
Q: What's the difference between a sailor and a Marine?
A: About 50 points on the ASVAB
eh, so I typed a instead of the.  You knew what I meant............... :rolleyes

Jeez....kids these days.  Do their parents not know they spend so much time on the internet???

Yeah, I'm a "Fucking Marine", and I'll tell you something.  I don't care who is/was in charge, who runs what, what department does what.......all I cared about was killin motherfuckers.  That's it.

I'm a combat vet, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna be made to look the fool by some 19 year old punk who's still shittin 4th phase chow and hasn't seen a real set of tits besides his mama's.  Run along little boy.......before you get dealt with.........
CrazyCobra
+0|6721
IF YOU WANT TO FLY DO NOT ENLIST IN ANY SERVEICE..... GO TO COLLEGE!!!! I ALREADY MADE THIS MISTAKE AND JOINED THE NAVY. and the prgram i am in (Nuclear Operator) many people get picked up for officer.. but mostly only Nuke officers... flight program is very very hard to get into....  i wish you the best of luck
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6692
@gsxrpilot: Actually, you make yourself look more like a 19 year old punk whos never seen a tit other than his mothers by making posts like that. Seriously, "Run along little boy.......before you get dealt with........."?
ShakaZuluKhan
+0|6710|Chicago

CrazyCobra wrote:

IF YOU WANT TO FLY DO NOT ENLIST IN ANY SERVEICE..... GO TO COLLEGE!!!! I ALREADY MADE THIS MISTAKE AND JOINED THE NAVY. and the prgram i am in (Nuclear Operator) many people get picked up for officer.. but mostly only Nuke officers... flight program is very very hard to get into....  i wish you the best of luck
LOL They managed to sucker you in to nuke huh? They tried that with me back in the day as well. Means big bonus points to recruiters. But, look on the bright side, you'll get great job offers from civilian companies when you're time in service is almost up.
CBRacky
+0|6748

usmarine2005 wrote:

CBRacky wrote:

That is true about the Air force living like kings if you compare their living quarters and food to the Marines.  However, it depends on what you idea of living like a king is.  I found nothing more gratifying then spending days and days in the field, sleeping on dirt or sand, eating MRE's, and taking baby wipe showers.  There is nothing better then having a drinking contest with some of the finest men on this earth, The Royal Marines.  If you want a recliner and a big screen TV every night after work, then join the Air Force.  If you want to be on patrol for eight hours starting at 10pm,  after getting two hours sleep, then join the Suck.
word.  don't get me wrong, i spent 2 years in the mud with GTACS, and i wouldn't mind going back.  but sometimes, after working 12h+ on the flightline (and working with the finest mechanics/soldiers on earth) it's nice to go back to the recliner and bit screen tv's
Aegis
Sailor with no BF2 Navy
+19|6736|I'm worldwide, beotch

Skruples wrote:

@gsxrpilot: Actually, you make yourself look more like a 19 year old punk whos never seen a tit other than his mothers by making posts like that. Seriously, "Run along little boy.......before you get dealt with........."?
He's just bein' a classic Marine...

CrazyCobra wrote:

IF YOU WANT TO FLY DO NOT ENLIST IN ANY SERVEICE..... GO TO COLLEGE!!!! I ALREADY MADE THIS MISTAKE AND JOINED THE NAVY
No longer true. Navy is debuting a warrant officer flying program.

Going nuke myself, but not on the blueshirt side of the house.

Last edited by Aegis (2006-02-11 21:00:54)

jnick
+22|6774
It goes like this:

Marines/Navy

Army/Airforce

Marines is a subdivision of the Navy, and the Airforce is a subdivision of the Army.
KillerAFET
+3|6772|Abilene, Texas

CrazyCobra wrote:

F-18 super hornets and F-14b Tomcats..... but tomcats are being decommissioned
   Air force DOES NOT fly off of carriers... and the Navy has more fighter aircraft than the Air Force
Nope, the Air Force flies the bulk of the fighter inventory in the United States' armed forces.  The Navy flies the F-14 and the F/A-18 while the Air Force flies the F-15, F-16, and the F-22.  Not counting the F-117 which is a bomber and carries no offensive air-to-air weapons.  In fact, there are more F-16s flying alone than the total number of Navy fighter aircraft.

There are 220 F-14s in the inventory and 545 F/A 18s in both the Navy and Marine inventory.  If you wish to include the EA-6B which is also a tanker and EW Jammer platform you may add another 124 aircraft.  The Air Force flies 782 F-16s, 613 F-15s, and the F-22 squadron at Langley Air Force Base, Virginia, has reached IOC which means thay can deploy with at least 20 aircraft. Of course, if you add the 215 A-10s flown by the Air Force it only makes the numbers more in favor of America's main air service.
KillerAFET
+3|6772|Abilene, Texas

jnick wrote:

It goes like this:

Marines/Navy

Army/Airforce

Marines is a subdivision of the Navy, and the Airforce is a subdivision of the Army.
Sorry slick, there are three independent military branches since September 18, 1947.  They are the United States Air Force, United States Army, and the United States Navy.  The marines are a subset of the Navy.  Each military service receives roughly a third of the military budget each year
KillerAFET
+3|6772|Abilene, Texas

Aegis wrote:

Skruples wrote:

He's just bein' a classic Marine...

CrazyCobra wrote:

IF YOU WANT TO FLY DO NOT ENLIST IN ANY SERVEICE..... GO TO COLLEGE!!!! I ALREADY MADE THIS MISTAKE AND JOINED THE NAVY
No longer true. Navy is debuting a warrant officer flying program.

Going nuke myself, but not on the blueshirt side of the house.
The Army fllies most of their choppers with Warrant Officers, not commissioned officers.
Aegis
Sailor with no BF2 Navy

KillerAFET wrote:

The Navy flies the F-14 and the F/A-18...There are 220 F-14s in the inventory and 545 F/A 18s in both the Navy and Marine inventory.
Did you forget something? Like the fact that the Tomcat is no longer in active service? And that there's about 1048 F/A-18's in our inventory?

KillerAFET wrote:

Sorry slick, there are three independent military branches since September 18, 1947.  They are the United States Air Force, United States Army, and the United States Navy.  The marines are a subset of the Navy.  Each military service receives roughly a third of the military budget each year
You're completely wrong. What is your contact with the military, the History channel?
There are four seperate branches, end of story.

KillerAFET wrote:

The Army fllies most of their choppers with Warrant Officers, not commissioned officers.
Wrong, once again. Warrant officers are commissioned officers.

W-1's receive their warrant from their service secretary, and then receive their commission from the President upon promotion to chief warrant officer - W-2 through W-5.

If you don't know what you're talking about, why continue speaking?

Last edited by Aegis (2006-02-12 08:01:28)

wavecutter
+0|6641

Aegis wrote:

KillerAFET wrote:

The Navy flies the F-14 and the F/A-18...There are 220 F-14s in the inventory and 545 F/A 18s in both the Navy and Marine inventory.
Did you forget something? Like the fact that the Tomcat is no longer in active service? And that there's about 1048 F/A-18's in our inventory?

KillerAFET wrote:

You're completely wrong. What is your contact with the military, the History channel?
There are four seperate branches, end of story.

KillerAFET wrote:

Wrong, once again. Warrant officers are commissioned officers.

W-1's receive their warrant from their service secretary, and then receive their commission from the President upon promotion to chief warrant officer - W-2 through W-5.

If you don't know what you're talking about, why continue speaking?
Dude! You are kind of wrong here. The Marine Corps does fall under the department of the Navy. It may be an autonomous branch but again,  it does fall under the umberlla of the navy.

100% correct on the warrant thing though. I didn't call a warant sir once and he chewed me out pretty bad.

Last edited by wavecutter (2006-02-12 08:16:18)

Aegis
Sailor with no BF2 Navy

wavecutter wrote:

Dude! You are kind of wrong here. The Marine Corps does fall under the department of the Navy. It may be an autonomous branch but again,  it does fall under the umberlla of the navy.
Negative. The Marshals Service and the FBI are both a part of the Department of Justice... this doesn't make one the same as the other or one part of the other.

To recap why anyone who says this is wrong:
-The Marine chain of command is wholly seperate from the Navy chain. Each service has an equally ranked 4-star, and they both report to the same service secretary. In no way shape or form does the Marine upper staff report to the Navy staff other than at combatant commands.

Wikipedia.org wrote:

The United States Marine Corps (USMC) is a branch of the U.S. military. While concerned almost exclusively with shipboard security service and amphibious warfare in its formative years, the Marine Corps has evolved to fill a unique, multi-purpose role within the modern United States military.

The Marine Corps is the second smallest of the five branches (Navy, Marine Corps, Army, Air Force, Coast Guard).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Marine_Corps
sgt_mango333
+31|6644
Wow...you all really know how to get off topic.  The kid just wants to know where to go to fly!

I was part of the 3rd MAW stationed at the now closed MCAS Tustin and worked on CH-53E helicopters - Go Heavy Haulers (HMH -462).  I talked with lots of pilots and this is what they had to say...

First go to school and get your degee.  No comission, no piloting.  You can become aircrew, but that's not really flying is it?

Second, make sure you're in tip top shape.  I couldn't even go aircrew because of limitations I have with depth perception.  If you have anything less that 20/20, you ain't flying jets.  You'll be lucky to fly helos.

Third, what do you want to fly?  Marines don't just fly off carriers...as a matter of fact, there aren't many that do.  An LHA or similar craft, like the Wasp is a mini carrier for VTOL and helos.  These are cool!  I was stationed on the Pelelieu during the Somalian embassy evac and we had 53's, 46's, Huey's, Blackhawks, Cobra's and Harriers. 

This is your best shot at flying from a sea craft if you go Marines.  Otherwise go Navy.  Your just looking to be made fun of if you join any other service
-]Eucalyptus[-
I'm a MOO MOO STARRR!!1
+17|6735|Switzerland (Im not swiss tho)

sgt_mango333 wrote:

Second, make sure you're in tip top shape.  I couldn't even go aircrew because of limitations I have with depth perception.  If you have anything less that 20/20, you ain't flying jets.  You'll be lucky to fly helos.
Whaaaaaaat
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo there goes my dream...

I have bad eyes, I thought I could pilot with contacts.... *sniff*....

Ok lets move onto other dreams: How do delta force recruit?
wavecutter
+0|6641

Aegis wrote:

wavecutter wrote:

Negative. The Marshals Service and the FBI are both a part of the Department of Justice... this doesn't make one the same as the other or one part of the other.

To recap why anyone who says this is wrong:
-The Marine chain of command is wholly seperate from the Navy chain. Each service has an equally ranked 4-star, and they both report to the same service secretary. In no way shape or form does the Marine upper staff report to the Navy staff other than at combatant commands.

Wikipedia.org wrote:

The United States Marine Corps (USMC) is a branch of the U.S. military. While concerned almost exclusively with shipboard security service and amphibious warfare in its formative years, the Marine Corps has evolved to fill a unique, multi-purpose role within the modern United States military.

The Marine Corps is the second smallest of the five branches (Navy, Marine Corps, Army, Air Force, Coast Guard).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Marine_Corps
Then I'm going to have to thank all my senior enlisted leaders for that particular training failure.

as per http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/usmc/overview.htm

The Marine Corps, within the Department of the Navy , is organized as a general purpose “force in readiness” to support national needs. Deploying for combat as combined-arms Marine air-ground task forces (MAGTFs), the Marine Corps provides the National Command Authorities (NCA) with a responsive force that can conduct operations across the spectrum of conflict.

Two parallel chains of command -— Service and operational -— exist within the Marine Corps. The Service chain begins with the President, through the Secretary of Defense, and continues through the Secretary of the Navy and the Commandant of the Marine Corps. The operational chain runs from the President, through the Secretary of Defense, directly to commanders of combatant commands for missions and forces assigned to their commands.

Last edited by wavecutter (2006-02-12 09:39:50)

usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6753

-]Eucalyptus[- wrote:

sgt_mango333 wrote:

Whaaaaaaat
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo there goes my dream...

Correctable 20/20 i beleive.
kn0ckahh
+98|6730|netherlands, sweet lake city

-]Eucalyptus[- wrote:

Thank you Husker~ifh~ and the others.

After college I plan to join the Navy or USMC to be a pilot.

Either that or I can take this CIA scholarship thing that I qualify for...
if you want to be a pilot   start taking flying lessons in smaller planes...
in taht way you have more axperience and more chance to get tested to be a fighter pilot ..

the second thing: you shpuld ask yourself how you react under stress
because fighter pilots are moron maniacs who dont see risks that normal ppl do see

are you that maniac  join the army

Last edited by kn0ckahh (2006-02-12 09:49:19)

wavecutter
+0|6641

kn0ckahh wrote:

-]Eucalyptus[- wrote:

Thank you Husker~ifh~ and the others.

After college I plan to join the Navy or USMC to be a pilot.

Either that or I can take this CIA scholarship thing that I qualify for...
if you want to be a pilot   start taking flying lessons in smaller planes...
in taht way you have more axperience and more chance to get tested to be a fighter pilot ..

the second thing: you shpuld ask yourself how you react under stress
because fighter pilots are moron maniacs who dont see risks that normal ppl do see

are you that macia  join the army
WTF is "macia"?

*EDIT* I see you corrected your post to read "maniac" (P.S. your grammer is still fucked but at least I understand it now )

Last edited by wavecutter (2006-02-12 12:28:19)

acurasquirrel
+0|6676
Ever thought about going to one of the academies?  Like the Navy Academy in Annapolis?
wavecutter
+0|6641
Don't you die on me dammit! DON'T YOU DIE THREAD! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Aegis
Sailor with no BF2 Navy

acurasquirrel wrote:

Ever thought about going to one of the academies?  Like the Navy Academy in Annapolis?
*shudders*

You enjoy, that. Really. Have a nice life!
sgt_mango333
+31|6644

usmarine2005 wrote:

-]Eucalyptus[- wrote:

sgt_mango333 wrote:

Whaaaaaaat

Correctable 20/20 i beleive.
Only on helos and you can't wear contacts.  Contacts become a hazard if they slip or get something underneath them.  And if you ever have to approach a helo that's spinning the rotor wash can casue the contact to cut the eyeball. 

Sorry Eucy...the only corrections allowed are BC's

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard