• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • 40" - 46" Sony or Samsung 1080p as a monitor, gamming monitor that is!
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6562|UK

Zimmer wrote:

r'Eeee wrote:

topal63 wrote:

The signal transferred on the VGA-cable is a true digital signal.
You sure VGA carries a digital signal? Last time, I checked. Both component and VGA are analog. HDMI and DVI are digital.
Exactly what I thought.
Your right, VGA sends analog signals, less this cable is some sort of specific item :\

*Spelling*

Martyn

Last edited by Bell (2008-01-10 09:34:38)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6614|132 and Bush

topal63 wrote:

Jenspm wrote:

topal63 wrote:

I don't see a VGA port anywhere in pic. A bunch of HDMI's - but no VGA connector.
Top-left?
Thats not VGA... thats a RS232 comm-port.
Yea, apparently I should have got the reciver with a 100000 + 1 connections..lol. I don't see VGA listed at onkyo.

But if MS says
As you mention, the console can output 1080p resolution video over both VGA and HDMI. There may be very, very subtle differences depending on a consumer’s display, but we wouldn’t expect many people to notice.
I'll live with HDMI. I'm keeping one cable going to my TV. I've got the whole one button sets up every activity I want to do going on. I can't be disturbed to rearrange everything .

You sure VGA carries a digital signal? Last time, I checked. Both component and VGA are analog. HDMI and DVI are digital.
An HD VGA cable is not the same as VGA.

The HD VGA is really specific to the 360 I guess. But I just read "the VGA cable does not unlock the 1920x1080 (1080p) resolution or any resolution near the WUXGA standard, leading us to believe that when the Xbox 360 outputs 1080i using the HD component cable, it only does the old 540p-upconvert-to-1080i trick".

For a true 1080p with a BD I need a fast HDMI cable. 1080p uses a lot of bandwidth.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
topal63
. . .
+533|6731
The only to get HDMI out of an Xbox-360 is to own an Xbox-360 elite.

Last edited by topal63 (2008-01-10 09:38:22)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6614|132 and Bush

topal63 wrote:

The only to get HDMI out an Xbox-360 is to own an Xbox-360 elite.
Or have your receiver fix it.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
topal63
. . .
+533|6731

Kmarion wrote:

topal63 wrote:

The only to get HDMI out an Xbox-360 is to own an Xbox-360 elite.
Or have your receiver fix it.
Yeah, but if the source is not VGA or HDMI the image quality will be drastically lower. Garbage in garbage out.

VGA max. is at 720p (1366 x 768), oops, after XBOX-360 firmware update - max is 1080p (1920 x 1080).
HDMI max. is at 1080p (1920 x 1080).

3-Component is not as anywhere near as good as VGA which is slightly, very slightly less (in quality), than HDMI.

Whatever the native resolution of the HDTV is best possible image quality.

If your setup was an original Xbox-360 connected to a 720p HDTV via the VGA cable... that's the best that setup can be.

If your setup was an Xbox-360 elite connected to 1080p HDTV via an HDMI cable... that;s the best that setup can be.

Last edited by topal63 (2008-01-10 12:12:50)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6614|132 and Bush

Video conversion (upscale) my man. The bottle neck can be corrected.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6745|St. Andrews / Oslo

Kmarion wrote:

But if MS says
As you mention, the console can output 1080p resolution video over both VGA and HDMI. There may be very, very subtle differences depending on a consumer’s display, but we wouldn’t expect many people to notice.
I'll live with HDMI. I'm keeping one cable going to my TV. I've got the whole one button sets up every activity I want to do going on. I can't be disturbed to rearrange everything .
wow, that remote is sweet.

Is it hard to get it to work? Will it work as a remote for sound, DVD and TV channels as well?

because atm I use 4 Remotes on 1 TV:
- Actual TV
- DVD
- Sound System
- TV Channels

Putting them together into 1 would be sweet.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6614|132 and Bush

The TV resolution wont lie. Currently I can get 720p. There may be some loss in audio ( I can't tell), but 720p is 720p.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
topal63
. . .
+533|6731

Kmarion wrote:

The TV resolution wont lie. Currently I can 720p. There may be some loss in audio ( I can't tell), but 720p is 720p.
Not true....

720p - 3-component signal... is not near the quality of:

720p - via HDMI.
or
720p - via VGA.

Why do you think they make a special VGA cable for the Xbox-360? Just for the hell of it? It is because the image quality is that much better. I have both cables... and would never use the Xbox 3-component to output 720p (it sucks in compassion to the quality I get from the VGA cable).

Last edited by topal63 (2008-01-10 10:00:47)

Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6562|UK

Kmarion wrote:

The TV resolution wont lie. Currently I can 720p. There may be some loss in audio ( I can't tell), but 720p is 720p.
Kerry (if I can call u that? lol) how pleased are you with that amplifer?

Martyn
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6614|132 and Bush

Jenspm wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

But if MS says
wow, that remote is sweet.

Is it hard to get it to work? Will it work as a remote for sound, DVD and TV channels as well?

because atm I use 4 Remotes on 1 TV:
- Actual TV
- DVD
- Sound System
- TV Channels

Putting them together into 1 would be sweet.
It's very easy to setup and work. Just plug it into your computer and tell it what you have. It can even be an Xbox controller..lol. It dims my lights, turns on my TV, changes my reciver to Blu-ray, and selects my preferred listening mode all in one touch.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6614|132 and Bush

Bell wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Martyn
I love it, Ultra 2 certified . It runs hot and it is pretty heavy (65 lbs?), but it is pure awesomeness. I am fixing the heat by building my own cooling behind it. I am also running the other zones outside and in my other rooms. Weekend projects are fun.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6614|132 and Bush

topal63 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Not true....

720p - 3-component signal... is not near the quality of:

720p - via HDMI.
or
720p - via VGA.

Why do you think they make a special VGA cable for the Xbox-360? Just for the hell of it? It is because the image quality is that much better. I have both cables... and would never use the Xbox 3-component to output 720p (it sucks in compassion to the quality I get from the VGA cable).
720p is a measurement.. that's like saying a mile isn't a mile. Not everyone has a receiver to upscale, that's why they make it.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6562|UK

Kmarion wrote:

Bell wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Martyn
I love it, Ultra 2 certified . It runs hot and it is pretty heavy (65 lbs?), but it is pure awesomeness. I am fixing the heat by building my own cooling behind it. I am also running the other zones outside and in my other rooms. Weekend projects are fun.
Which model is it?  Got a Yamaha RX-V3800 myself and it's given up the ghost after 6 months :\

Martyn
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6614|132 and Bush

Bell wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Bell wrote:

Martyn
Which model is it?  Got a Yamaha RX-V3800 myself and it's given up the ghost after 6 months :\

Martyn
It's all here.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
topal63
. . .
+533|6731
Kerry, you might be right or wrong... I don't really know for sure.

The cable can make a difference though... it is dependent upon the HDTV though and its built-in image proccessing. Some LCD HDTVs do well with 3-compenent; and do piss-poor with the VGA. On my 720p it is the other way around.

And,
XBOX-360 (original)

VGA:

* HD DVD - 1080p resolution and all others
    * DVD - Upscaled as high as 1080p resolution and all others
    * Games - 720p games upscaled to 1080p, also supports native-1080p games in the future

Component:

* HD DVD - 1080i resolution maximum, limited by AACS
    * DVD - Upscaled to 480p maximum, limited by CSS
    * Games - 720p games upscaled to 1080p, also supports native-1080p games in the future
Component (way better, and allows HD -- doesn't do DVD upscaling)
VGA (Sharper then component, but duller colors -- allows DVD scaling)
HDMI (the best aspects of VGA and Component, in one. Also allows the TV to detect on/off)
The point is moot anyways... I am getting a 1080p HDTV. And connecting via the HDMI.

Kmarion wrote:

I'll try it anyways. I have a 32 inch Bravia as well. I hooked my laptop up to it using my laptops HDMI. I never used the PC in. I'll try my 360 on it.
If found this part to be same as my general experience (with the VGA cable on the original Xbox-360):
... VGA (Sharper then component, but duller colors -- allows DVD scaling) ...
I set the Xbox-360 (in-settings); to expanded; then turned the color-up a bit on the HDTV.

This is the only other e-opinion (experience) I could find:
... from what i have read and my personal experience - VGA on most cases looks better on LCD's and Monitors. It all depends on the TV. For Plasmas - component looked better in my experience. HDMI looks better than all. Best advise is to try it out for yourself. different people will give you different opinions.

Last edited by topal63 (2008-01-10 11:10:38)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6614|132 and Bush

I'll try it anyways. I have a 32 inch Bravia as well. I hooked my laptop up to it using my laptops HDMI. I never used the PC in. I'll try my 360 on it.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
dalmar72
+6|6533

ghettoperson wrote:

elbekko wrote:

An 8800GT should easily pump out 1920x1800.
Yes, if you're playing games that are 3 years old.
I have a 8800gts 640MB version and I run almost everything at 1920X1200  the native resolution of my 24" lcd (dell 2407fpw)  so to run stuff on an lcd tv that only has a resolution of 1920X1080  should be a piece of cake..... unless you mean crysis... which is a whole different discussion.
topal63
. . .
+533|6731

dalmar72 wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

elbekko wrote:

An 8800GT should easily pump out 1920x1800.
Yes, if you're playing games that are 3 years old.
I have a 8800gts 640MB version and I run almost everything at 1920X1200  the native resolution of my 24" lcd (dell 2407fpw)  so to run stuff on an lcd tv that only has a resolution of 1920X1080  should be a piece of cake..... unless you mean crysis... which is a whole different discussion.
That Crysis bitch is definitely... on the discussion table.

K-man, has the Sony XBR4, I was wondering what weird things you can do to the image with cine-motion and other settings on an HDTV, when playing a PC game?

Don't know... been googling the Internet forever to see if anyone has done it (say a comp. setup: 3-way SLI, pushing 1920 x 1080 res., PC game on an HDTV, either the newer LCD Samsung or the Sony Bravia XBR).

I've heard that playing with the settings can almost make a game look 3-D. But, can't find any site - with info.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6666

Zimmer wrote:

Also, Topal, 120Hz is not noticeable by the naked eye. Max difference you will see is about 75Hz. Anything above that is a minimal change. The claims that sony make don't make the TV better, it just allows them to put a larger price tag on it.
no no no no no NO NO NO NO    NO!

not even the mods can get this right?
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6769|Scotland

Lucien wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Also, Topal, 120Hz is not noticeable by the naked eye. Max difference you will see is about 75Hz. Anything above that is a minimal change. The claims that sony make don't make the TV better, it just allows them to put a larger price tag on it.
no no no no no NO NO NO NO    NO!

not even the mods can get this right?
Well, see, that kind of reply.... Instead of shouting out pointless "no"s at me. You could care to explain.
elbekko
Your lord and master
+36|6414|Leuven, Belgium
I have a feeling the 120Hz is because of the frame interpolation. 60Hz each.

But I might be very wrong on that.
topal63
. . .
+533|6731

elbekko wrote:

I have a feeling the 120Hz is because of the frame interpolation. 60Hz each.

But I might be very wrong on that.
Or you could be wright. I just don't know? The newer Samsung and Sony Bravia XBR LCD 1080p HDTVs have a lot of image processing capability... the image tweaking with the settings (& cinemotion, motionflow, autmotion, etc) could result in either:

a.) Interesting improved image quality when playing a game...

or

b.) Artifacts & distortions.

I just don't know.

Since, I am going to use it as PC monitor, if I can't use the advanced features (for enhanced image qaulity in PC games) then there are fewer reasons for me to get one or the other (an HDTV that expensive anyways).

Last edited by topal63 (2008-01-10 15:31:52)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6614|132 and Bush

I'm about to mess with the 360/TV settings now. I am currently addicted to Assassins creed .

Like my 360 controller?
https://i2.tinypic.com/8dz3ckp.jpg

I don't use it to play..lol. It just shows that screen when I start the 360 activity.

Thomas I don't know if you visit AVS forums or not.
You will have to calibrate and tweak the setting to taste. It is a pretty good place to get information.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6645|949

Off topic, but Assassins Creed got really really repetitive for me.  I play on my roommate's 40" Bravia V.  I don't know all the technical stuff behind it, but COD4 and AC look nice
  • Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • 40" - 46" Sony or Samsung 1080p as a monitor, gamming monitor that is!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard