wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6480|UK
Just re-installed BF2 after my computer decided to be a tosser. Does anyone play the old patches if so which one is the best? Also how do you have multiple patches. I tried to search really couldn't find anything conclusive help would be appreciated.
BluRR33
+27|6408|Sweden
i think most people uses 1.41
daddyofdeath
A REAL Combat Engineer in the house
+187|6273|UK Bradford W,Yorks. Age 27
Try this link for 1.41. Its from fileshack. You may need to register fiirst though mate. Hope this helps.

http://www.fileshack.com/search.x?type= … cdesc=desc
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6480|UK
I don't think you got what I meant.
Ec0li
Vagina face
+167|6020|London ㋛

I think he means do any servers run the old patches, and does anyone play the old patches and if so which is the best patch to play with.
daddyofdeath
A REAL Combat Engineer in the house
+187|6273|UK Bradford W,Yorks. Age 27
Most people have installed 1.41 mate. No one plays on old patches anymore I don't think.
0akleaves
+183|6634|Newcastle UK
1.03 servers are dead last time i checked so its 1.0 or 1.41 now i think.
You have to learn the rules of the game and then you have to play better than anyone else.
Fredrik
i hate you all
+201|6669|Norway
Still some servers with 1.12, never populated though
Spider1980
#1 Commander
+92|6562|Washington

wah1188 wrote:

Just re-installed BF2 after my computer decided to be a tosser. Does anyone play the old patches if so which one is the best? Also how do you have multiple patches. I tried to search really couldn't find anything conclusive help would be appreciated.
Old school? sounds pretty retarded to me...
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6401|the land of bourbon

Spider1980 wrote:

wah1188 wrote:

actually, from what i hear, blackhawks were un-fucking-real.  c4 could be tossed, and dolphin diving was the only way to move.  i got into the bf2 scene pretty late so i missed it all.  i would gladly play "old school" if enough people did.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
TrashBlinD
french canadians suck
+135|6662|can

steelie34 wrote:

Spider1980 wrote:

wah1188 wrote:

actually, from what i hear, blackhawks were un-fucking-real.  c4 could be tossed, and dolphin diving was the only way to move.
Yes and it was .
SharkyMcshark
I'll take two
+132|6806|Perth, Western Australia

steelie34 wrote:

Spider1980 wrote:

wah1188 wrote:

actually, from what i hear, blackhawks were un-fucking-real.  c4 could be tossed, and dolphin diving was the only way to move.  i got into the bf2 scene pretty late so i missed it all.  i would gladly play "old school" if enough people did.
You really don't. Jets and heli's raped EVERYTHING, and anti air was next to useless. The SMG's and LMGs couldn't hit the broad side of a barn unless you were standing two feet from said barn or pressing the gun directly into the back of the head of said barn. People used grenade launchers as shotguns. Being brushed by a vehicle moving at 1 feet per hour caused instant death. There was C4 chucking which was stupid, bunny hopping which was stupid, prone spamming which was stupid, dolphin diving which was stupid. The blackhawk was god but at the same time extremely unbalanced. There was the no kit bug *more faults here... the list goes on and on*

Believe me, BF2 is much better now. It's by no means perfect, but it's much much better than BF2 1.0 or 1.03.
Fredrik
i hate you all
+201|6669|Norway

SharkyMcshark wrote:

You really don't. Jets and heli's raped EVERYTHING, and anti air was next to useless. The SMG's and LMGs couldn't hit the broad side of a barn unless you were standing two feet from said barn or pressing the gun directly into the back of the head of said barn. People used grenade launchers as shotguns. Being brushed by a vehicle moving at 1 feet per hour caused instant death. There was C4 chucking which was stupid, bunny hopping which was stupid, prone spamming which was stupid, dolphin diving which was stupid. The blackhawk was god but at the same time extremely unbalanced. There was the no kit bug *more faults here... the list goes on and on*

Believe me, BF2 is much better now. It's by no means perfect, but it's much much better than BF2 1.0 or 1.03.
Well now 90% of the players play medic, support or sniper. Grenades and claymores, the most boring and gay weapons to use, is the most effective infantry weapons so everyone spams them. As the matter of fact grenades have about twice as much splash damage as C4 in 1.41, and claymores are deadly up to 15 meters... You can still noob-tube at your feet killing both you and your enemy, but if you shoot a passing vodnik the nade bounces off... GG EA!!!!!
TrashBlinD
french canadians suck
+135|6662|can

SharkyMcshark wrote:

steelie34 wrote:

Spider1980 wrote:

No u.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6711|Devon, England
Fucking loved the old school days...

Miss it so much...

Me and my clan mates owning it up in our server in the Blackhawk...
FlemishHCmaniac
+147|6433|Belgium
True, I miss killing transport at short range with grenade launchers. The superiority of the black hawk kinda made maps that had it objective based. The goal of people was to get in the black hawk and cooperate with a mix of kits (medic and support as pilot or on the guns and engis in the back) and rake in points. The other team's objective was to take out the blackhawk and get the base where it spawned ASAP or just steal it.

Also if you think flaghopping is bad now in IO, you should have seen it back in the days when everybody in the flag radius counted, even if you were in a vehicle with several passengers. Helis would hover over a flag and cap it in 2 seconds.

Noobtubing only was a problem on city maps and even then mostly on Karkand. Dolphin diving was not as prevalent as many would have you believe. The first time I saw a dolphin diver was when SF was released (I remember I was at the power plant flag on MD and the guy knifed me and 3 others). C4 was used more as an offensive weapon, true, but again it was not THAT common. Very few people were actually skilled with it. The accuracy of LMG's indeed was a problem. My first unlock was the PKM and it sucked balls then. A few patches later they tried to improve this and turned the PKM in a 100 round sniper rifle and everybody used it, it was the G36E of that patch.

In a way, I'm kinda glad they removed firing while jumping because it forced me to improve my aim. The movement restrictions in order to restrict Flippers were annoying at first but everyone adapted. Even I, who hated the prone delay when standing up (added in 1.4), am so used to it now that I hardly remember the way it was before. I can't say much about jets because I only started to fly a year after I got the game. AA missiles were indeed borked. TV missiles had no range and it was possible to guide one all the way across a map.

So yes, old school BF2 had its fun points and everything but globally the game changed for the better. The only thing I REALLY regret is the blackhawk nerfing which made Wake the POS it is today. Before the USMC actually had a chance.

edit: spelling

Last edited by FlemishHCmaniac (2008-01-10 07:55:39)

SharkyMcshark
I'll take two
+132|6806|Perth, Western Australia

Fredrik wrote:

Well now 90% of the players play medic, support or sniper. Grenades and claymores, the most boring and gay weapons to use, is the most effective infantry weapons so everyone spams them. As the matter of fact grenades have about twice as much splash damage as C4 in 1.41, and claymores are deadly up to 15 meters... You can still noob-tube at your feet killing both you and your enemy, but if you shoot a passing vodnik the nade bounces off... GG EA!!!!!
Every single one of these problems can be circumvented by playing a map not titled "Strike at Karkand"
Afrika_18
+26|6563
You mean there are other maps?
Fredrik
i hate you all
+201|6669|Norway

SharkyMcshark wrote:

Fredrik wrote:

Every single one of these problems can be circumvented by playing a map not titled "Strike at Karkand"
Not true, you need to camp for vehicles and never engage infantry combat in order to 'circumvent' these problems.    <--- interesting choice of word
And dont get me startet on the jets and choppers!!1one ;)

Well, some good changes, some bad i guess. Dolphin diving never bothered me (since that and chucking c4 was my main tactic), still,
prone delay = good thing. People going prone all the time both gives me giggles and agony depending on the circumstance. Yes people developed, i think infing is harder now than before because you actually need to aim.
Drexel
+43|6496|Philadelphia
The good parts of the older patches:

- no IO, so claymore/medic/support spam wasn't as bad (although, this lead to the armor whore spawn camping whiners we have today)

- C4 throwing allowed Spec Ops to not touch the armor while destroying it, rather than running up and get squished (but then it started being abused as always)

The bad parts of the old patches

-Full Blackhawks were pretty much stat-padding servers.  6 people getting +1 every time they hovered over a flag for a half second, 2 medics getting heals every time they took a hit, support resupplying the engineer's mines, engineers getting repair points every time the were hit.   An eight year-old could hit everything with those guns (thing about having 2 MEC chopper gunners shooting 4 times as fast) and when they got a kill, +1 for everyone again.  Also, blackhawks were pretty much immune to every weapon except the TV missile with their three engineers that could fully repair in 3 seconds.

- TV missiles had double the range.  Sharqi Peninsula (as well as a few more maps) was determined on who got to their chopper first and TVed the enemy chopper from the pad.

- Every AA missile had such bad detection, they would turn into a spiral graph drawing around the target instead of hitting it.  (there's a few youtube movies out there showing the missiles circling the oil towers in zatar)

- The ballet dance done by macros that allowed infantry to "hover" above the ground while they were shooting.

There's many more, but I'm out of ideas now.  This is going to bug me now all day at work, so I'll edit as I remember.

Last edited by Drexel (2008-01-10 08:49:07)

Cyrax-Sektor
Official Battlefield fanboy
+240|6168|San Antonio, Texas
Hell, hate to see the Blackhawks back then, I can kill the Linebacker and APC with the miniguns!

Just go to a Linebacker camping the MEC Airfield on Kubra Dam, turn your heli sideways and fire away. Destroyed a Colonel with it, he finally got wise, but didn't kill me. Blackhawk armor's pretty good too.
d4rkph03n1x
+131|6770

I miss the old bf2, mainly c4 because it was extremely fun.
Fredrik
i hate you all
+201|6669|Norway

Drexel wrote:

- The ballet dance done by macros that allowed infantry to "hover" above the ground while they were shooting.
I agree with all you wrote, but damn that hover trick was cool
[Fin]Dami3n
something else
+53|6242|Finland

steelie34 wrote:

Spider1980 wrote:

wah1188 wrote:

yeah, spider is the only tard here
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6488
The early patches had some really bad balancing issues, a few of which were caused by exploits. Now the game is very well balanced and while I do miss the BH guns it is over all better now.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard