Poll

Do You Imagine Nothingness as White or Black?

White17%17% - 20
Black71%71% - 81
Other?11%11% - 13
Total: 114
BlackKoala
+215|6318
Pink, but not a dull pink.  Something more like an electric pink, with some glitter and baby blue outlines.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6802|Nårvei

Definately black if there is nothing.

But black isn't so bad as it sounds seing as the speed of light (white) can't even dream of becoming as fast as the speed of darkness (black) - just try it with any lightswitch at home
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6518|South Florida
i already employed my sciency to answer your questions just look at my post. newbs
15 more years! 15 more years!
bakinacake
HA HA
+383|5978|Aus, Qld
Black, i imagine it as an empty space, with no light...
https://i.imgur.com/LGvbJjT.jpg
Ryan
+1,230|6836|Alberta, Canada

White.
I think of it as a piece of paper. It starts out blank, with nothing on it, completely empty, and is then filled with pencil strokes.
Phrozenbot
+632|6608|do not disturb

A blackness darker than the darkest night.
tthf
Member 5307
+210|6750|06-01
pinkish purple tbh
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6403|'Murka

Black may represent the absence of light, but it is the combination of all color.

White is actually the absence of all color.

So it could go either way, depending on what your concept of nothingness is: the absence of light to see or the absence of color to differentiate.

Edit: Nevermind. Got absorption and reflection backwards.

Last edited by FEOS (2008-01-08 13:50:40)

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
RavyGravy
Son.
+617|6398|NSW, Australia

flashing light green and hot pink.

nah, black.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5992|...
technically it wouldn´t be black or white, just nothing. Because if you close your eyes it's still our eyes making us see a blackness, without eyes there ain't no black, no white, just nothing. Like someone who's born blind or hasn't got eyes.
inane little opines
Lai
+186|6143
What a completely pointless poll: how can you determine the colour of something that isn't?

Space doesn't exist in "nothingness" with the latter being an empty medium; space creates its own medium, namely space, by the presence of matter. Prior to existence of matter there is no medium, you can't speak of "nothingness", because it simply does not be.

If you do not regard nothingness as a medium, but rather ascribe it to a "zero value", it doesn't and doesn't need to have a colour. Asking whether it's black or white would then be like asking what colour the number 0 has or how it tastes.

Null vote, evidently!
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6100|Birmingham, UK

avman633 wrote:

black. Black to me seems like "nothing"
White... because... white seems empty, so you can see there's nothing there... if that makes sense.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6548
The answer is this: it's impossible to imagine nothing.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6403|'Murka

nuh uh
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
ReTox
+100|6491|State of RETOXification
White is not white, it is no colour at all, because all the light is reflected to your eyes therefore the material has no colour even if it holds wavelengths outside the visible spectrum.  Black is all colours because no visible light is being reflected back to you, or all the light is held within the material being viewed.

But no matter what, you still have the material either reflecting or holding the light you see and that negates the possiblility of "nothing".  Nothingness would be void of light and matter and everything else.  You could not look at nothing because there is no light either held by or escaping the nothingness as that would violate all known laws of physics.

Simply put, this entire question is non sequitur.
Lai
+186|6143

ReTox wrote:

White is not white, it is no colour at all, because all the light is reflected to your eyes therefore the material has no colour even if it holds wavelengths outside the visible spectrum.  Black is all colours because no visible light is being reflected back to you, or all the light is held within the material being viewed.
Am I being stupid now or is it the other way around: black being no colour because everything is being absorbed and white being all colours because everything is being reflected? I mean, we see the light that is reflected (e.g. red by a red object) and not that which isn't reflected?
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6461
White = color. Color needs light. Light is energy. Energy needs matter.

Black = absence of color. Ergo absence of light. Ergo absence of energy, ergo absence of matter.
ReTox
+100|6491|State of RETOXification

Lai wrote:

ReTox wrote:

Am I being stupid now or is it the other way around: black being no colour because everything is being absorbed and white being all colours because everything is being reflected? I mean, we see the light that is reflected (e.g. red by a red object) and not that which isn't reflected?
That is all about point of view.

You are taking the point of view of the object and not the person observing it.  If you are the object and someone looks at you and sees black then you as the object are all colours because you are not giving off any visible light.

But in the context of this question you are the observer and not the object so black is you observing an absence of visible light therefore the object you see as black is actually all colours.

Your point of view would best be used with the question "If you were nothingness would you imagine yourself as black or white?".
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6636

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

White = color. Color needs light. Light is energy. Energy needs matter.

Black = absence of color. Ergo absence of light. Ergo absence of energy, ergo absence of matter.
Ive heard the exact opposite.
rh27
Not really a Brit
+51|6589|England
color: a visual attribute of things that results from the light they emit or transmit or reflect

White is all colours by definition, all the wavelengths are reflected back at you.

Colour is not what light something retains, it's what light it gives off.

Therefore Black is nothingness by definition, having no colour because it gives none off.

Discussion solved.

Last edited by rh27 (2008-01-08 16:20:06)

jason85
Banned
+58|5989|Mesa, AZ
It would be nothing. Neither black nor white, or anything in between. If we can perceive nothingness, than nothingness can not exist. To be able to observe it, we would be part of it, and if we are something, then nothingness is not possible. I personally do not believe in "nothingness".
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6439|Chicago, IL
Black, or, rather, an absence of photons, which would appear black.  Of course, in a universe of zero volume and infinite density, there really isnt space for colors.
XanKrieger
iLurk
+60|6650|South West England
I would imagine "nothingness" to be devoid of colour and therefore, black

Let's not debate black being a colour but those who understand will... understand

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard