Brasso
+1,549|6639

I was doing a BIOS update using ASUS Update.  The update worked fine, and it asked me to restart the system.  So I hit the restart button.  Windows shuts down, and I don't see a POST screen.  No BIOS at all.  I've tried clearing the CMOS both by removing the 3V battery and by switching the jumpers.

My specific motherboard is supposed to be impossible to screw up the BIOS with, because restarting the computer is supposed to start the computer with the standard BIOS.  And yet it doesn't do that.

Is the motherboard gone?  It's a ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6333|New Haven, CT
Did you mess with the voltages?
Brasso
+1,549|6639

nukchebi0 wrote:

Did you mess with the voltages?
No.  I kept them standard.  This has nothing to do with the CPU overclocking I was doing earlier.  I ran Orthos for 12 hours and 40 minutes and it was completely stable at 3.00 GHz.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6333|New Haven, CT
Is your video card seated properly?
Brasso
+1,549|6639

nukchebi0 wrote:

Is your video card seated properly?
Yep, never touched it since it was working fine 30 minutes ago.  Checked it again just to make sure.

If it helps any, the HDD light on my case is constantly on, instead of doing what it usually does, flashing a little.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6333|New Haven, CT
HDD shouldn't affect BIOS, since I have booted up unformatted computers before.

Have you checked your RAM as well?
Brasso
+1,549|6639

nukchebi0 wrote:

RAM is seated fine.  Should I try booting up with just one?  I have 3 sticks, 2x1 GB and 1x512MB.  The two 1GB sticks are in their corresponding dual channel slots.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6206|Winland

Get any beeps at all?

Check for BIOS reset jumpers. (Not Clear CMOS)
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6333|New Haven, CT

haffeysucks wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

RAM is seated fine.  Should I try booting up with just one?  I have 3 sticks, 2x1 GB and 1x512MB.  The two 1GB sticks are in their corresponding dual channel slots.
Yes.
Brasso
+1,549|6639

nukchebi0 wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Yes.
...what.  The.  Fuck.  It works.  I was so focused on the idea that it was the BIOS update that fucked it up...Now I gotta find which one is the bad stick...how should I go about doing this?

Last edited by haffeysucks (2008-01-04 23:44:43)

TheArkOfGod
Banned
+8|6784
only took 5 seconds to search but try this maybe it'll help

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6580|USA
just put em in one at a time. you already know one stick, so you only need to boot once more.
TheArkOfGod
Banned
+8|6784
you can download docmem or windows mem test....you'll need to install it to a floppy and boot up with it
Brasso
+1,549|6639

Boots fine with each stick individually...

TheArkOfGod wrote:

you can download docmem or windows mem test....you'll need to install it to a floppy and boot up with it
Think I'm just gonna try that now.

Last edited by haffeysucks (2008-01-05 00:02:55)

Hakei
Banned
+295|6004
Power problem?

I had an issue similar, my computer wouldn't boot up unless I left the power on in the MB for about an hour, even then it would just give out after 30 seconds of XP. I opened it up, looked around, saw nothing, closed it up, left it for a week and it worked after that.

Strange.
Brasso
+1,549|6639

Hakei wrote:

Power problem?

I had an issue similar, my computer wouldn't boot up unless I left the power on in the MB for about an hour, even then it would just give out after 30 seconds of XP. I opened it up, looked around, saw nothing, closed it up, left it for a week and it worked after that.

Strange.
Nope, that wasn't it, lol.  Already solved it thanks to the posters above.  RAM problem.
GodFather
Blademaster's bottom bitch
+387|6229|Phoenix, AZ
haff, I just got COD4 and played SP cause u werent on.

But, now that were thinkin here... how olds the PSU? Your ram could be going all Uganda on your PSU and the PSU might not like have food, so all the Ugandans A.K.A RAM could be killing the people giving you the corn and shit causing all of the corn giving people to leave, making your computer not start.

And when you  boot with one stick its like killing the other 2/3's of the population so you only have to feed one and the support guys actually help

{{PSU might not give enough power and RAM may consume too much, booting with one ram stick means no idling in the PSU}}
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6462|The Twilight Zone
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Brasso
+1,549|6639

.Sup wrote:

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=88962
Ah shit.  I'm glad my computer is still alive, but I don't have a floppy drive.
Brasso
+1,549|6639

Okay, FUCK THIS.  I installed a floppy drive from an old computer.  Put the ROM BIOS file on the floppy disk.  Restart and use EZ Flash.  Everything seems to be work fine, right?  Computer restarts.  Computer doesn't boot, AGAIN.

Seems the ASUS BIOS is just fucked up as it is.  I had to do the ol' "use one RAM stick and start then restart and put in the rest of the RAM" trick.

mr.widdim
The Second Apostle Of Chuy
+78|6714|Flaming_Maniac = pwnd.

How long have you been building computers for?
Ryan
+1,230|6852|Alberta, Canada

Easy solution: Throw it out the window.
Scratch[USA]
+105|6556

haffeysucks wrote:

.Sup wrote:

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=88962
Ah shit.  I'm glad my computer is still alive, but I don't have a floppy drive.
use a flash drive
give me two minutes i will have you a link on how to do it
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id= … uage=en-us

Can you get into the bios at all?

Last edited by Scratch[USA] (2008-01-05 10:35:11)

Brasso
+1,549|6639

mr.widdim wrote:

How long have you been building computers for?
3 years, built 7.

Everything's fine now guys, don't worry bout it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard