Slarty
+37|5956|Ingerland
I recently decided that I'd buy the AF & EF expansions, just for a bit of a change more than anything else. I soon found however that I couldn't buy the expansions individually only as a part of the "Complete BF2 Collection" FFS!!

So it arrived today, all on one disc. Went to install it and clicked the "Advanced" options as I didn't want to install BF2 & SF's again as they're (obviously) already on the pc.

To a degree, it has installed them ok, certainly from what I can see as when I just went ingame there were maps listed that I'm sure are either AF or EF maps (operation smoke screen?) BUT and here's the but lol, it hasn't given me dedicated short cut icons on my desktop as SF did when I installed that...

Is there any way to get them or should I just uninstall BF2 completely and start afresh with the new all in one disc?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section btw!!

Thanks in advance
FredFLQ
S0tp R4p1nG u5!!1one
+47|6523|Donnacona, Quebec
You don't need separate icons. You just run the new maps from your good old bf2 icon.
Slarty
+37|5956|Ingerland
Hmmm I thought that might be the case, just that when I launch SF I only get SF maps in the list and I was kinda hoping that that would be the case with AF & EF.

Thanks for the heads up anyways!!
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6373|the land of bourbon

Slarty wrote:

Hmmm I thought that might be the case, just that when I launch SF I only get SF maps in the list and I was kinda hoping that that would be the case with AF & EF.

that actaully annoys the shit out of me.  i hate having to reload bf2 to play the other maps.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
Jibbles
Rifle Expert
+56|6621|Mexifornia, USA

Slarty wrote:

SF uses different things for almost every aspect of the game, hence the separate loading. It's kinda like a half-assed sequel.
AF and EF just add new maps.
VicktorVauhn
+319|6384|Southern California
SF is a glorified mod made by EA, EF and AF are glorified map packs.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6460

VicktorVauhn wrote:

All expansion packs are mods you idiot. AF and EF also add allot of new stuff to the game other than maps so they aren't map packs.
Slarty
+37|5956|Ingerland

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

VicktorVauhn wrote:

All expansion packs are mods you idiot. AF and EF also add allot of new stuff to the game other than maps so they aren't map packs.
Agreed, that's why I bought them, to add new planes/choppers/vehicles etc as well as the new maps.

Sadly though I tried connecting to an E/F server and it told me I needed to install the expansion pack

Looks like I completely uninstall BF2&SF's and start again. The ONLY bonus is that the disc is patched to 1.41 already.
Cyrax-Sektor
Official Battlefield fanboy
+240|6140|San Antonio, Texas
Hang on, Slarty! I get that recently, just EA messing up, standard procedure.

Try joining again, or restarting and joining. That message usually has nothing to do with installing/uninstalling. It's EA's database that shows this user is allowed to play.
jdno_7
+10|6215
you must register the af and ef online with ea to enable online gameplay....it can be a real pain in the ass.
you dont need to reinstall just register them.
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6472|Somewhere else

Anyone get the boosters from the EA Downloader?  ahhhh what a fucking nightmare that was!
Slarty
+37|5956|Ingerland
@ Cryax, thanks for the tip but alas rebooting done nothing

@ jdno_7, funny you should say that as after I installed the boosters, it said I need to register them.... Yet when I re-launch the CD and click on the "register" button the website is asking me for my ingame name (not a problem) and the registration code. I tried the CD key which obviously came with the game but to no avail....Will try it again tomorrow as I don't think I had it in capitals, if it's case sensative?

Thanks for all the help so far
FlemishHCmaniac
+147|6404|Belgium

Slarty wrote:

@ Cryax, thanks for the tip but alas rebooting done nothing

@ jdno_7, funny you should say that as after I installed the boosters, it said I need to register them.... Yet when I re-launch the CD and click on the "register" button the website is asking me for my ingame name (not a problem) and the registration code. I tried the CD key which obviously came with the game but to no avail....Will try it again tomorrow as I don't think I had it in capitals, if it's case sensative?

Thanks for all the help so far
I experienced the same problem. That registering site was a mystery to me. I filled it in like I was supposed to but to no avail.
I then gave up and emailed EA support and after a few standard replies, they must have noticed I was getting a bit ticked off so they registered it for me.

Last edited by FlemishHCmaniac (2008-01-05 02:56:27)

schmitty
+4|6250
Yeah they fubar'd the whole registration thing with the AF/EF thing.  I LOVE this "map pack" tho.   I also hate how if my wife wants to play, we have to go into my EA account and change the name to her ingame name so she can play the maps.....sux.

When I first installed it too, I was looking for the shortcuts on my desktop, but finally I realized it just adds the map.   I finally get to get my ribbon!
cablecopulate
+449|6730|Massachusetts.
Post pics of your wife.
Freke1
I play at night... mostly
+47|6539|the best galaxy
Lol
https://bf3s.com/sigs/7d11696e2ffd4edeff06466095e98b0fab37462c.png
Slarty
+37|5956|Ingerland
Tried registering it again, still no joy and I've also noticed that they don't appear in add/remove programs whereas BF2 and SF do. Looks like I'll uninstall them and install it all afresh from the one disc.

Oh yes, and photos lol
Slarty
+37|5956|Ingerland
Ok, an update (for anyone who's even remotely interested lol)

Uninstalled the old game and installed the complete game from the new disc.

Oh my, problems abound!!!!!! Mic test failing, patches failing you name it!! Even got it to one point where it was "installed" only for me to double click on the desktop icon for NOTHING to happen ARGH!!

Having thought on it a little I figured what the problem was. I have 3 H/D's in the pc, C: is for OS only, D: is for games and E: is for general crap. When I was installing the game I was obviously changing the file path to D: but at some points it looks like the install was looking for files in C: !!

So I've installed it in C: for now, but my next question is, can I cut the folder from C: and place it in D: ? Obviously I'll have to change the desktop icon's shorcut path but that's easy enough. Is the game embedded anywhere other than the BF2 folder in My Documents?

TIA
G3|Genius
Pope of BF2s
+355|6618|Sea to globally-cooled sea

RoosterCantrell wrote:

Anyone get the boosters from the EA Downloader?  ahhhh what a fucking nightmare that was!
I got them that way.  I don't remember if it was a pain in the ass to begin with, but I've reformatted twice...all you need to do is log in, re-download the boosters, and install them, and all's well.
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6373|the land of bourbon

Slarty wrote:

Ok, an update (for anyone who's even remotely interested lol)

Uninstalled the old game and installed the complete game from the new disc.

Oh my, problems abound!!!!!! Mic test failing, patches failing you name it!! Even got it to one point where it was "installed" only for me to double click on the desktop icon for NOTHING to happen ARGH!!

Having thought on it a little I figured what the problem was. I have 3 H/D's in the pc, C: is for OS only, D: is for games and E: is for general crap. When I was installing the game I was obviously changing the file path to D: but at some points it looks like the install was looking for files in C: !!

So I've installed it in C: for now, but my next question is, can I cut the folder from C: and place it in D: ? Obviously I'll have to change the desktop icon's shorcut path but that's easy enough. Is the game embedded anywhere other than the BF2 folder in My Documents?

TIA
negative, soldier.  you won't be able to move the folder between partitions, but there is no harm in letting your games install to C:  you won't lose any data if your mydocs folder is redirected (as long as the games store user data there), and if you have to rebuild your OS, you can just reinstall the game.  trying to split application installs between two partitions is tricky at best.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard