BigmacK
Back from the Dead.
+628|6752|Chicago.
Okay.

So the time to go off to college is approaching, and I need to secure me a laptop that will adequatley handle whatever I will throw at it. We're talking something that'll be able to handle music, movies, minor gaming, and multitasking projects and above all, engineering applications. This thing has to work hard for me.

Price (which is still unsure, as of yet) should cap out at roughly $1500 USD. That's the maximum that I can afford.

Another sell point for me is that this system is small. The max size I would consider would be a 15" screen. Any larger and I'd rather lug arround a small desktop.

My search so far has yielded one system, which I really do like: the Dell XPS M1330.
https://www.degadget.com/photos/Dell_XPS_M1330_2.jpg
In case your unfamiliar with the system (or don't want to click on the link I provided), it's a sub 4 lb, 13.3" thin laptop with amazing capabilities and a pretty sharp look, in my opinoin.
Specs of a system I've customized include:
  • Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7500 (2.2GHz/800Mhz FSB, 4MB Cache)
  • Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium Edition
  • Slim and Light LED Display with VGA Webcam
  • 3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
  • 160GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) Free Fall Sensor
  • Slot loading CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW Drive)
  • 128MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8400M GS

That equals $1,524 USD.

Thats the best I can find.

Now, to what I'm asking for.

I'm requesting help to find a laptop system that falls within my wants for a system needed at college. You see an example of how I'd order the Dell (a side note, I'm not afraid of having a pre-manufactured or custom built system, anything will do); I want all the available options on the table before I make a decision.

Hard Drive size is not an issue, I will mainly rely on seperate, auxillary drives to store data. I want this sytem to run quick and painlessly.

Thanks in advance for whatever help you can give me.
stef10
+173|6483|Denmark
hmm, i think its a bit too powerful.

hmm, but im a bit unsure about your programs.

Last edited by stef10 (2008-01-01 09:46:19)

Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6198|Winland

Well, I'd look for one with a little better graphics circuit. I've seen cheaper ones with T7200 and 8600M. That's pretty good according to me.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Smithereener
+138|6317|California
That's the deal where Dell shaves off about $800 from the price?

I suppose there are more powerful 15.4" notebooks for about that price, but I think that M1330 is quite awesome. I see you've selected the LED backlit screen also . The 8400m GS is sufficient for some light gaming, so I don't think there is a need to go any higher than that. Plus, there are very few notebooks that have the 8600m GS/GT that are smaller than 15.4". There is one, the Asus F8sv, a 14" notebook that sports an 8600m GT, but personally, I think the M1330 looks much better, and the Asus F8 gets horrid battery life and is rather thick.

So, in summary: the M1330 that you pointed out is great. Small form factor, decent battery life, basically packs a rather big punch in a small package.

But, do you have to get the notebook now? Because I believe Penrynn is due soon and might yield some notebooks that might pique your interest. Then again, that Dell deal expires at the end of this month (I believe) so I suppose you'd have to get it while you can.
stef10
+173|6483|Denmark
well, if only you were in Denmark.

tomorrow im picking up my new laptop for school.

HP pavillion 15,4 inch screen.

1,7ghz amd X2 processor.

2gb ram

120 Hdd

7150 graphics card

+a bag, norton internet 2008(bad  i know)+ a multifunction printer. All for 580 £
BigmacK
Back from the Dead.
+628|6752|Chicago.

Smithereener wrote:

That's the deal where Dell shaves off about $800 from the price?
Yes, partialy why I'm really liking the system.

Smithereener wrote:

But, do you have to get the notebook now? Because I believe Penrynn is due soon and might yield some notebooks that might pique your interest. Then again, that Dell deal expires at the end of this month (I believe) so I suppose you'd have to get it while you can.
And no. I won't be off until late August, but I would like to get it a little while before then. But I don't have to buy it tomorrow. I've got at least three to four months to shop. But I like to focus on these kind of things pretty far in advanced so I can really decide what I want.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6494|N. Ireland
You could get a better HP DV9xxx series (customized) for that price...but unfortunately minimum display size is 17" wide.
Smithereener
+138|6317|California

kylef wrote:

You could get a better HP DV9xxx series (customized) for that price...but unfortunately minimum display size is 17" wide.
If I'm not mistaken, I think you can configure up to a 8600m GS? I personally feel that HP Consumer notebooks aren't that great looking (with the exception of the Verve Special Edition one) and that the M1330 is far better looking than the Pavilions. (Good job with design for once Dell)

Plus, I think the 8600m GS is a tad underpowered for a notebook that could hold so much more potential. Their 14" notebook (forgot the series #) and their workstation/business models look excellent though.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6198|Winland

What kills the 8400 is the TurboCache. You can live with it, but you'd need at least 3GB RAM, depending on how much it steals.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
bennisboy
+829|6647|Poundland
8400 really fails at gaming, so does the 8600gs. I'd say try to find one with a 8600m GT
bennisboy
+829|6647|Poundland

anon. karma wrote:

can i call you penisboi? lol sry
no you may not

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard