Fester53D&E
+3|6438|Los Angeles, CA
It looks like I've got a dying video card on an AGP machine so I thought I'd explore getting a new machine.  I found this one that I think looks fantastic.  I'd like to be able to play BF2 and COD4 on high settings.  Thoughts...More power, more ram, go with the PC8500 ram?

$877.00 US

CASE: Sigma Gaming LaVie Med-Tower Case w/ Window And Leather Trim Front Panel 420 Watts Power Supply
CPU: AMD Phenom™ X4 9500 Quad-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
MOTHERBOARD: MSI K9A2 CF-F AMD 790X CrossFire Chipset DDR2/1066 Dual 16X PCIE SATA RAID MB w/GbLAN, USB2.0, &7.1Audio
MEMORY: 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory
VIDEO CARD: ATI Radeon HD 3850 PCI-E x16 256MB Video Card
HARD DRIVE: Single Hard Drive (320GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
Optical Drive: 20X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6205|Winland

Completely ok.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
ELITE-UK
Scratching my back
+170|6482|SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND
Looks perfectly ok.
Eugefunk84
+48|6542
more ram, id say. and i think the processor is overkill. most new games dont even use the processor as much as youd think. a lot of stuff is unloaded onto the GPU these days. look at crysis. I have an X2 6000+, and my cores dont exceed 50% durign gameplay. so unless youll  b doing a lot of conversions or hardcore vid editing, i wouldnt bother with quad core. its just an expensive way to brag for useless power.
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6534|South Florida
that processor is insane, if you can afford it =]
15 more years! 15 more years!
_NL_Lt.EngineerFox
Big Mouth Prick
+219|6539|Golf 1.8 GTI Wolfsburg Edition

Eugefunk84 wrote:

more ram, id say. and i think the processor is overkill. most new games dont even use the processor as much as youd think. a lot of stuff is unloaded onto the GPU these days. look at crysis. I have an X2 6000+, and my cores dont exceed 50% durign gameplay. so unless youll  b doing a lot of conversions or hardcore vid editing, i wouldnt bother with quad core. its just an expensive way to brag for useless power.
Fuck that, if he only wants to play BF2 and CoD4 on full force, he has a nice setup
Yellowman03
Once Again, We Meet at Last
+108|6243|Texas
looks pretty good, but i would go for a geforce 8 series (preferably XFX)...they're generally better than ati radeon hd. If you can try to go up to 8800gt. cod4 and bf2 will run on high settings. 8600gt or gts will probably run medium to high. Other than that...everything is good...especially the processor.
Eugefunk84
+48|6542

_NL_Lt.EngineerFox wrote:

Eugefunk84 wrote:

Fuck that, if he only wants to play BF2 and CoD4 on full force, he has a nice setup
i agree, im sayin he could get the same performance for cheaper, especially with tites like bf2, and cod4 whiich dont exactly push the limit
Airwolf
Latter Alcoholic
+287|6728|Scotland

Yellowman03 wrote:

looks pretty good, but i would go for a geforce 8 series (preferably XFX)...they're generally better than ati radeon hd. If you can try to go up to 8800gt. cod4 and bf2 will run on high settings. 8600gt or gts will probably run medium to high. Other than that...everything is good...especially the processor.
my 7900GT runs bf2 all high 125fps?
_NL_Lt.EngineerFox
Big Mouth Prick

Eugefunk84 wrote:

Eugefunk84 wrote:

i agree, im sayin he could get the same performance for cheaper, especially with tites like bf2, and cod4 whiich dont exactly push the limit
Qcore is the future and this way he'll have AM2+, so why settle on the aged X2's.
Eugefunk84
+48|6542
jesus, u ppl are impossible. i make one remark about how the processor is overkill, and you all act like ive stabbed your way of life chill the fuck out, its an opinions, no ones right or wrong here...
Johnny_Extremer
I Am McLovin!!!!
+22|6269
You might be able to run COD4 on high but you might not get alot of fps i.e 125. The power supply might be a problem too.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6546|Long Island, New York
I highly, HIGHLY suggest not getting a Phenom. There's no guarantee that your Phenom will even WORK with that AM2 board as a lot of issues with compatibility have arisen, plus the Q6600 absolutely SMOKES it.

CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6819115017
Mobo -  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6813131219

Or if you're looking for a cheaper option, you could go with this mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6813128067

Trust me, you'll be VERY unhappy with your Phenom if it even WORKS. Intel is the smarter option right now and for the foreseeable future until AMD gets their shit together. Besides the mobo + processor, you should really upgrade that PSU. I'm not sure if it'll even power your PC.

Get this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6817153059

Video card looks ok (and you can always upgrade so it's no problem), RAM looks ok, and the Case I have no idea but Sigma makes pretty good cases.

Do the upgrades that I suggested and you'll be happy.

Eugefunk84 wrote:

jesus, u ppl are impossible. i make one remark about how the processor is overkill, and you all act like ive stabbed your way of life chill the fuck out, its an opinions, no ones right or wrong here...
But that's ridiculous. It's like saying get a walkman, it'll play your music just as fine for cheaper. Why wouldn't he get an iPod which will last him for years?

In this case, why wouldn't he get a quad core that'll last him for years?

Last edited by Poseidon (2007-12-31 11:38:04)

_NL_Lt.EngineerFox
Big Mouth Prick

Johnny_Extremer wrote:

You might be able to run COD4 on high but you might not get alot of fps i.e 125. The power supply might be a problem too.
An 8800GT uses 140w full load, the 3850 doesnt use that much and the Phenoms are 65nm so they don't use much too, 420w is fine.
Yellowman03
Once Again, We Meet at Last
+108|6243|Texas

Airwolf wrote:

Yellowman03 wrote:

my 7900GT runs bf2 all high 125fps?
he seems to be looking for dx10 with the hd card. I'm just suggesting 8 series cuz of the dx 10 =P

Last edited by Yellowman03 (2007-12-31 11:36:34)

Eugefunk84
+48|6542

Eugefunk84 wrote:

Qcore is the future and this way he'll have AM2+, so why settle on the aged X2's.
well, if hes lookin to "future proof" his PC, then he shoudl def upgarde the vid card and go to 4 gigs of ram, not 2
_NL_Lt.EngineerFox
Big Mouth Prick

Eugefunk84 wrote:

Eugefunk84 wrote:

well, if hes lookin to "future proof" his PC, then he shoudl def upgarde the vid card and go to 4 gigs of ram, not 2
Who says he's gonna use Vista
TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|5989|Toronto
i concur, get 4gigs ram.
furthermore, that vid card is not too good. I'd recommend at least a dual Nvidia 7900.
7950 GX2 would be best, or even 2 7950 GTs
'cos you've got dual pci-e, why not use it??
and a 420 watt PSU will NOT support all this, btw. get an upgarde, please!
?leather?
I like pie.
Eugefunk84
+48|6542

Eugefunk84 wrote:

......you dont need vista for 4gigs, just a 64-bit OS such as winXP x64...
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6750|London

I pretty much agree with everything Eugefunk said.
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
Computer_Guy
+54|6705
Dont forget, you can add some videos cards in there and run maybe 3 or 4 in crossfire for future investments.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6157|'straya

Eugefunk84 wrote:

Eugefunk84 wrote:

......you dont need vista for 4gigs, just a 64-bit OS such as winXP x64...
i run 4 GB RAM on 32 bit XP.... admittably it only uses 3.8 of it..but hey

personally id say up the graphics card (8800 preferably but i run a 1GB 8600 and still run crysis on high) and also up the PSU go for at least a 600 Watt
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6501|N. Ireland

Fester53D&E wrote:

CASE: Sigma Gaming LaVie Med-Tower Case w/ Window And Leather Trim Front Panel 420 Watts Power Supply
Probably a dodgy PSU in that case..

Fester53D&E wrote:

CPU: AMD Phenom™ X4 9500 Quad-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
Can't comment much...personally I'd opt for Intel quad core

Fester53D&E wrote:

MOTHERBOARD: MSI K9A2 CF-F AMD 790X CrossFire Chipset DDR2/1066 Dual 16X PCIE SATA RAID MB w/GbLAN, USB2.0, &7.1Audio
Fine!

Fester53D&E wrote:

MEMORY: 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory
Brand?

Fester53D&E wrote:

VIDEO CARD: ATI Radeon HD 3850 PCI-E x16 256MB Video Card
On a system like this...256MB could let you down.

Apart from this...looks nice for the price

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard