Funky_Finny
Banned
+456|6141|Carnoustie, Scotland
I've recently got 2GB of RAM and a nVidia 7600GT and I feel my tiddly 2.4Ghz P4 is letting the team down a bit. What would be a decent CPU for a decent price to maximize the use of my computer?

I'm not buying anything just now, just hit me with a few ideas and things that would work well with my setup.

Last edited by Funky_Finny (2007-12-28 09:45:50)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6590|SE London

Funky_Finny wrote:

I've recently got 2GB of RAM and a nVidia 7600GT and I feel my tiddly 2.4Ghz P4 is letting the team down a bit. What would be a decent CPU for a decent price to maximize the use of my computer?

I'm not buying anything just now, just hit me with a few ideas and things that would work well with my setup.
You'd need a new mobo to make buying a new CPU worthwhile, which may involve changing your RAM and GPU, or may not. You haven't given enough information to tell.

A P35 with an E6750 would be what I'd go for...

Last edited by Bertster7 (2007-12-28 09:48:09)

Funky_Finny
Banned

Bertster7 wrote:

You haven't given enough information to tell.

What do I need to tell?
and how much would that be?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6590|SE London

Funky_Finny wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

You haven't given enough information to tell.

What do I need to tell?
and how much would that be?
What type of RAM (presumably DDR or DDR2, worst case scenario it could be Rambus crap) and what GPU slot, PCI-E or AGP.

A P35 and an E6750 would cost about £170-180.
Funky_Finny
Banned
DDR1. AGP GPU slot..
Computer_Guy
+54|6706

Funky_Finny wrote:

DDR1. AGP GPU slot..
I dont think there is much you can upgrade with that (cpu wise). I suggest getting a a whole new system if you want a new cpu. Like everyone is saying P35 chipset with a E6750 will do just fine.
Funky_Finny
Banned

Computer_Guy wrote:

Funky_Finny wrote:

DDR1. AGP GPU slot..
I dont think there is much you can upgrade with that (cpu wise). I suggest getting a a whole new system if you want a new cpu. Like everyone is saying P35 chipset with a E6750 will do just fine.
And would I be able to transfer my ram and gou, even if it isn't that good?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6590|SE London

Funky_Finny wrote:

Computer_Guy wrote:

Funky_Finny wrote:

DDR1. AGP GPU slot..
No.

Your RAM and GPU are pretty much obsolete.
Computer_Guy
+54|6706

Bertster7 wrote:

Funky_Finny wrote:

Computer_Guy wrote:

No.

Your RAM and GPU are pretty much obsolete.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6206|Winland

I'm going to give you other advice than the others, because that CPU can be upgraded, and depending on the model, there might be less or more gain.

Now, is it a socket 775 or 478? And is it a Northwood or Prescott core?

If you don't know, download CPU-Z (Google it) and just send a screenshot.

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2007-12-28 14:42:14)

The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Funky_Finny
Banned

Freezer7Pro wrote:

I'm going to give you other advice than the others, because that CPU can be upgraded, and depending on the model, there might be less or more gain.

Not a clue, downloading now.
https://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa178/Funky_Finny/halp-1.jpg

Last edited by Funky_Finny (2007-12-28 15:49:46)

Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6558|UK

Funky_Finny wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Not a clue, downloading now.
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa17 … halp-1.jpg
Hmmm, to put it politely mate your fucked lol :\

Less you upgrade the whole thing don't bother touching it.

Should of came to us sooner, and see if you can swap what you bought and take the difference off what you are going to buy.  Some shops will look kinder on returns if there is a guarentee you are going to walk out of there spending more.

Martyn

Last edited by Bell (2007-12-28 16:09:30)

Computer_Guy
+54|6706
Yeah, ur fucked. Socket 478 is like gone.
Crypto_420
+25|6852|Portland
its time to upgrade to amd now, come on its not that much money... Oh btw there are motherboards out there that will support AM2 and AGP so you could still use your video card!  A combo deal that would be faster than your current setup would be

your cpu price brand new $65.00 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6819116140

a dual core am2 4600+ $80.00 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6819103751

this is almost a 100% faster that your current cpu.  look at tomshardware.com to see for your self

a cheap motherboard $30.00  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 813138038R  it is open box but it is also AGP and only 30 bucks!

ram $49 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6820231098  ddr2 800 and 2GB

for only $160 you could double your performance and still afford to eat
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6157|'straya
lol personally id dump that whole thing in the bin and start from scratch.... but i guess u dont wanna do that...

the least u should do really is wat crypto_420 said
Funky_Finny
Banned
Well, shit. I just spent £60 on a graphics card (which I could still keep) Then £40 on RAM which is pretty obsolete if I get a new mobo...
I'll stick with this setup until it really starts to get to me, then I'll get a new one. Thanks for all the help, +1's all round.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6819|Nårvei

Funky_Finny wrote:

Well, shit. I just spent £60 on a graphics card (which I could still keep) Then £40 on RAM which is pretty obsolete if I get a new mobo...
I'll stick with this setup until it really starts to get to me, then I'll get a new one. Thanks for all the help, +1's all round.
Wise decission imho for now
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6630|London, England
Oh I know. Overclock your current CPU. Find a cooler for it too

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu … subcat=821

Last edited by Mek-Izzle (2007-12-29 05:25:24)

Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6206|Winland

Yet again, that system can propably be saved, and upgraded to acceptable level. The 3+GHz Northwoods and Prescotts might work on that mobo, and you can definitly upgrade to a 3.06GHz Northwood. They're not so expensive (obviously) at eBay. This CPU might work with your system, if the mobo supports FSB800. This one too.

This is one of the best-performing CPUs that can be almost guaranteed to work with your motherboard, but it is rather expensive.

Now, if your motherboard supports FSB800, it might support the Prescott 478 processors.
This is a competely ok Prescott Core P4, wich could dofor some time. Prescotts are also among the best overclocking CPUs there are. Just get the right cooler and you'll be huffing in 4GHz. Assuming your motherboard is good, that is.

Find out what make and model your motherboard is, and we'll find  better CPU.

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2007-12-29 10:45:44)

The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
CommieChipmunk
+488|6578|Portland, OR, USA

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Yet again, that system can propably be saved, and upgraded to acceptable level. The 3+GHz Northwoods and Prescotts might work on that mobo, and you can definitly upgrade to a 3.06GHz Northwood. They're not so expensive (obviously) at eBay. This CPU might work with your system, if the mobo supports FSB800. This one too.

This is one of the best-performing CPUs that can be almost guaranteed to work with your motherboard, but it is rather expensive.

Now, if your motherboard supports FSB800, it might support the Prescott 478 processors.
This is a competely ok Prescott Core P4, wich could dofor some time. Prescotts are also among the best overclocking CPUs there are. Just get the right cooler and you'll be huffing in 4GHz. Assuming your motherboard is good, that is.

...okay, but why pump money into a system you'll need to upgrade soon anyway?  It's a waste to do anything at this point tbh.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6206|Winland

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

...okay, but why pump money into a system you'll need to upgrade soon anyway?  It's a waste to do anything at this point tbh.
If he's got like $50 to spend on tech, why not spend it on making his computer at least half-decent, so he'll survive?
Crypto_420
+25|6852|Portland

Freezer7Pro wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

If he's got like $50 to spend on tech, why not spend it on making his computer at least half-decent, so he'll survive?
Because for just a extra hundred bucks, he could have a better bang for the buck
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6206|Winland

Crypto_420 wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Because for just a extra hundred bucks, he could have a better bang for the buck
But that's still 100 bucks more. 200% more. (Assuming he's got $50... Lol.)
Defiance
+438|6680

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Crypto_420 wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

And by spending 50 now, he's wasting a third of what it would cost to make the system much better. Don't spend money for the sake of spending money, you'll get nowhere.

It [OP comp] needs a big upgrade. Throw a few dollars in to a jar now and then and you can get a decent mobo that will allow you to move forward. PCI-E, DDR2 and a dual core compatible socket is minimum.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6590|SE London

Defiance wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Crypto_420 wrote:

And by spending 50 now, he's wasting a third of what it would cost to make the system much better. Don't spend money for the sake of spending money, you'll get nowhere.
Spot on.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard