shadowdark1974
+0|6663|San Diego
Pardon me for the dumb question, But am going to ask anyway, So i take it that means that untill you get the new server and have it up and running that the window that shows the info for each badge, ribbion etc... And avg of how long till i get it . **yea that window. *I get laugh at seeing what it says about myself**  that window will be shut down till then?
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6840|Cologne, Germany

about the idea of charging for this "service", I believe chuy's deal with EA ( about the use of the XML feed ) states that he is not allowed to charge anything for the service he provides, i.e. usage of the stats feed.

Getting a sponsor for the site is a different thing of course. Maybe EA will even help him to find one, since they won't allow him to charge himself. NVidia, Saitek, Zboard, all those companies could possibly be interested here.
Viper007Bond
Moderator Emeritus
+236|6804|Portland, OR, USA

If it comes to it, I'd say start disabling the Wiki/UBAR and even the forums if need be. Their HTML serving alone's gotta do some fair bandwidth.

And as for paying, sorry, that's a retarded idea.

Last edited by Viper007Bond (2006-02-10 02:12:02)

https://bf3s.com/sigs/044900892044e7fc95e599e832a086ae9bcd7efb.png
PvtchieF73
+15|6708|Netherlands
Great job you are doing Chuy!
thx for all your effort

PvtchieF73
EvilMonkeySlayer
+82|6651

chuyskywalker wrote:

EvilMonkeySlayer wrote:

Right, about the PNG colour problem. This is the gamma setting, you can sync up the colouring between IE and Firefox if memory serves. (i'll look into this when I get into work, I had the same problem)
I'm all ears, all the literature I've read says otherwise.

While using gzip compression does significantly reduce filesize removing whitespace before compression and then gzipping will make the output slightly smaller. (marginally so)
I double checked and I am certainly sending out gzipped content -- make sure, however, that when you do the request you have your testing setup include the "accepts: gzip" header Otherwise PHP is smart enough to NOT do that.
I realised this morning that wget doesn't use gzip without a patch, so blame me for forgetting to apply that patch.

On the PNG gamma thing, i'm working on it now.
EvilMonkeySlayer
+82|6651
Ok,

Here's your solution that I sort of said earlier by showing the PNG export options image but totally forgot about.

When saving PNG's DISABLE gamma completely, IE's gamma for PNG is screwed even in the new IE 7. (aren't they supposed to be fixing this?!)

Look at http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~mccasey … ison.html, the left image is a GIF, the middle a PNG with gamma completely disabled and the right image is a PNG with gamma enabled.
For absolute colouring (aka 255) IE displays the colours fine even with gamma, however the moment you have one of the RGB colours go above 0 or below 255 IE has a hissy fit with the PNG which has gamma enabled and gives the wrong colouring. As can be seen in http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~mccasey … IE6SP1.png and http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~mccasey … -IE7B2.png . Use an image program like Photoshop, Gimp (whatever) and a colour picker to analyse the darker shades of all three images you'll notice that on the rightmost one the darker shades are off but the left and middle are fine. You can also do the same under IE with the html page I linked to above.

Also, for the sake of being anal i've also done the same thing under Firefox 1.5 and Opera 8.5 (I really should get around to installing the new beta 9 version).

See;

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~mccasey … n-Fx15.png
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~mccasey … pera85.png

If you want I can also do image comparisons for Safari, IE 5 (Mac) and Konqueror.

Mark

Last edited by EvilMonkeySlayer (2006-02-10 07:44:57)

BEE_Grim_Reaper
+15|6705|Germany
Hmm...Chuy, since you are operating this site on several severs as it appears... have you thought of load balancing?
Viper007Bond
Moderator Emeritus

Oh, and if you're experiencing any load issues, have you thought (or already doing) page caching for some of the other pages besides just the main page? I realize that for example on my stats page, the time until next update and stuff need to be dynamic, but what about caching just parts of the page to a flat file on page load if it hasn't been (re)cached since the last update?

i.e. like all of the top and bottom, rather than being pulled from the DB, being cached to like /users/44260977 with the timestamp of caching at the top.

Last edited by Viper007Bond (2006-02-10 05:29:12)

AD_Kensan
+7|6783

Viper007Bond wrote:

Oh, and if you're experiencing any load issues, have you thought (or already doing) page caching for some of the other pages besides just the main page? I realize that for example on my stats page, the time until next update and stuff need to be dynamic, but what about caching just parts of the page to a flat file on page load if it hasn't been (re)cached since the last update?

i.e. like all of the top and bottom, rather than being pulled from the DB, being cached to like /users/44260977 with the timestamp of caching at the top.
I think it's more of a bandwidth issue than putting the pages together. This site just generates so much traffic that chuy put all the static content on a different host. Now this host is down because it can't serve the images etc. at the rate this site demands.

I guess the only real solution is the new server which will be in operation soon I am confident.

I think disabling the wiki/ubar would not take off that much load. The big hit is because the stats page has so many pics etc which generates quite a bit of traffic for every request. I am sure Chuy has optimized all the image files to the best size/quality ratio.

I would think adding another ad-space somewhere where it does not bother all too much would give some more ressources...

Just my thoughts...
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715
in order to help chuy, i say we turn off our sig pics!
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
wayneakagod
+17|6746
Well unless they are hosted at bf2s that won't make a significant difference at all tbh.
tripodmsu
+0|6706

BEE_Grim_Reaper wrote:

Hmm...Chuy, since you are operating this site on several severs as it appears... have you thought of load balancing?
Load isn't the problem. Its bandwidth that is driving all this.
SeekTheOne
+0|6714|Upper Austria, Austria
Hello,

the tooltips for the medals where you can see what the requirements are and you you else need to get ist doesn't pop up any more, if you stay with the mouse over it. ITS ONE OF THE COOLEST FUNCTION.

I dont know if it has something todo with the message in the status bar of the ie"Erros on site".

I#m shure my pc doesn't have anything todo with this, because i tried it on different.

PLESE REPAIR THIS GREAT FUNCTION AS FAST AS POSSIBLE!!!!
You have my thanks!!!!

bye
-=Scott=-
+2|6832|San Diego, CA

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

in order to help chuy, i say we turn off our sig pics!
You guys just don't get it. The bf2s sigs are down and all the other sigs you see are not hosted on bf2s.com
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6846|"Frisco"

EvilMonkeySlayer wrote:

When saving PNG's DISABLE gamma completely, IE's gamma for PNG is screwed even in the new IE 7. (aren't they supposed to be fixing this?!)
It seems that even disabling color management in Photoshop won't stop it from exporting gamma in it's PNG output libraries. However, running them through png crush does the trick. The biggest problem I've had with PNG's in the past is not just color matching across PNG's themselves, but matching CSS colors.

Here's the example -- note that near the bottom you see the crushed & cleaned pngs -- this method seems to work. It's important to view this in Firefox vs. IE to see the problem (and how the crushed ones are fixed.)
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6846|"Frisco"

SeekTheOne wrote:

the tooltips for the medals where you can see what the requirements are and you you else need to get ist doesn't pop up any more, if you stay with the mouse over it. ITS ONE OF THE COOLEST FUNCTION.

PLESE REPAIR THIS GREAT FUNCTION AS FAST AS POSSIBLE!!!!
Whoops, missing javascript files. All better now.

Jeff
EvilMonkeySlayer
+82|6651

chuyskywalker wrote:

EvilMonkeySlayer wrote:

It seems that even disabling color management in Photoshop won't stop it from exporting gamma in it's PNG output libraries. However, running them through png crush does the trick. The biggest problem I've had with PNG's in the past is not just color matching across PNG's themselves, but matching CSS colors.

Here's the example -- note that near the bottom you see the crushed & cleaned pngs -- this method seems to work. It's important to view this in Firefox vs. IE to see the problem (and how the crushed ones are fixed.)
Yeah, like I said.. I've always found the level of customisability of Photoshops JPEG, PNG and GIF exporters to be somewhat lacking.

From what i'd say and from your png test, use the lowered bit depth PNG's to replace a lot of the current GIF's but not all. (for example the spacer gifs etc that are <100 bytes.. unless they're smaller in size as PNG's)

By the way, sorry about the http headers thing.. Hope I didn't cause you to do too much work.. 
I forgot to apply the gzip patch to wget.

Mark
Viper007Bond
Moderator Emeritus

chuyskywalker wrote:

Wow, that's horrid in IE! lol
=Robin-Hood=
A stranger in the dark
+213|6819|Belgium

chuyskywalker wrote:

It seems you're on to the ultimate solution here;

Make the webpage FF only, this will:

solve the png problems, since there are no problems
solve the bandthwith problem, since you would reduce the amount of users with 70%
solve the majority of technical questions, because only more mature users use FF, hence they know most of the answers themselves

Cheers,
R

Ps.: I know I know, dumb statement, but isn't it worth it, to put IE under stress to launch FF only pages
EvilMonkeySlayer
+82|6651

=Robin-Hood= wrote:

chuyskywalker wrote:

It seems you're on to the ultimate solution here;

Make the webpage FF only, this will:

solve the png problems, since there are no problems
solve the bandthwith problem, since you would reduce the amount of users with 70%
solve the majority of technical questions, because only more mature users use FF, hence they know most of the answers themselves

Cheers,
R

Ps.: I know I know, dumb statement, but isn't it worth it, to put IE under stress to launch FF only pages
Yeah, erm.. really bad idea. Trust me, every single web developer / web master out there wishes we could do that on some level but we have to face the reality that the majority of our users use IE. (plus the whole websites thing is to make it accessible to everyone, all us older net users remember the idiotic bad days of the past with the "best viewed in.." crap.)

This PNG issue is resolved if gamma isn't used with PNG images. And supposedly IE 7 is going to have full PNG support, i've been using IE 7 since beta 1 and it still isn't fully supported. The only good thing is that it actually supports the alpha transparency layer which for some stuff is so damn cool.
Pity IE 7 doesn't support SVG, this is something i've not yet had time to play with yet..  but looks really interesting.

Mark
NemeSiS-Factor
Favorite Weapon? Pistol
+29|6669|Everett, WA, US
That just wont work.  I myself use FF, but at work I am forced to use IE.  What would I do at work if I couldn't use this site?  I would go mad.  Alot of people wont just go download Firefox just for this site.  I personally have a friend that is in love with MSN......M.S.N.!
And I don't think you want to shuffle off that many users to make the experience better for the rest of us.
=Robin-Hood=
A stranger in the dark
+213|6819|Belgium

okay okay...

I should have placed the PS in bold... *sigh* Don't take me serious, don't ever take me serious

Unless of course when I am

There are only two solutions; wait for his killer machine to be online, or split the content over multiple servers. But both cost money, so we should actually contact descent sponsors to keep up with the financial issue.

Cheers,
R
bigelectricat
+3|6690
would creating an RSS feed for forum postings reduce the amount of traffic to the home page? i know i look at the home page to see new posts.

and maybe give the option to enable/disable the new features on the stats page. like a reduced graphic version. it is not all the time that i need to know what badge/award/medal i need to get and how to get them.
EvilMonkeySlayer
+82|6651

bigelectricat wrote:

would creating an RSS feed for forum postings reduce the amount of traffic to the home page? i know i look at the home page to see new posts.

and maybe give the option to enable/disable the new features on the stats page. like a reduced graphic version. it is not all the time that i need to know what badge/award/medal i need to get and how to get them.
That's not a half bad idea, if I may expand upon it?

How about having rss generated on the same basis as a users stats? That way you could get an RSS feed of your stats without the need to download the graphics etc thereby reducing the bandwidth used.
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6846|"Frisco"

No RSS for stats -- that really doesn't make much sense. Also, the forums *do* have rss, there's just no links for it...you gotta know the secret pass...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard