crusaderop50
+1|6844
i'm basically tired of playin w/ the M1 tank that basically match the fire power as the rest of the tank in the game.  i'm settin my goal, in real life, to be a tank commander.  so i would like to see some actually firepower here, like the powerful SABOT rounds for the M1 tanks or the explosive reaction armor on the T-90 and T-98.
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6847|Bryan/College Station, TX

crusaderop50 wrote:

i'm basically tired of playin w/ the M1 tank that basically match the fire power as the rest of the tank in the game.  i'm settin my goal, in real life, to be a tank commander.  so i would like to see some actually firepower here, like the powerful SABOT rounds for the M1 tanks or the explosive reaction armor on the T-90 and T-98.
Interesting goal in life to be a tank commander. Good luck with that.

As for seeing real firepower in the game I can see how that would appeal. Seeing a one shot kill from the M1A2 might be a little bit on the powerful side for a game like this. After all they have to look for balance. And also seeing the explosive reactive armor going off when a shell hits the side of the T-90 or 98 would also be a neat visual effect though I would expect that explosion to take out any nearby standing infantry as well.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6845|Cologne, Germany

kilroy0097 wrote:

crusaderop50 wrote:

Interesting goal in life to be a tank commander. Good luck with that.

As for seeing real firepower in the game I can see how that would appeal. Seeing a one shot kill from the M1A2 might be a little bit on the powerful side for a game like this. After all they have to look for balance. And also seeing the explosive reactive armor going off when a shell hits the side of the T-90 or 98 would also be a neat visual effect though I would expect that explosion to take out any nearby standing infantry as well.
which is just another reason why soldiers shouldn't be close to a battle tank engaged in active combat...

apart from being run over, of course...
Stoned_Smurfz
The Mushroom Man
+1|6850|Australia
lol u dont wanna be near one anyways specially when they shoot you cant see or hear for a while tho i like that its sooo cool and im guessin itd really happen

but yeah the tanks have to be pretty much the same or itd make for a real crappy game
*TS*tphai
The Forum Alien
+89|6810|The planet Tophet
my goal is to be a pilot for the Coast Guard
crusaderop50
+1|6844
pilot for the coast guard eh?  well no offense but i considered the coast guard a navy rejects.
nayo450
+-1|6797

crusaderop50 wrote:

...the powerful SABOT rounds for the M1 tanks or the explosive reaction armor on the T-90 and T-98.
are you refurring to the depleated uranium rounds? and its not the armor that explodes, its the heat from impact that sets off the internal magazene.
*TS*tphai
The Forum Alien
+89|6810|The planet Tophet

crusaderop50 wrote:

pilot for the coast guard eh?  well no offense but i considered the coast guard a navy rejects.
why do you think that?
T1mbrW0lf
+2|6800|Eastern PA
Nayo450 - Sounds like you're somewhat confused:

APFSDS (Armor Piercing, Fin Stabilised Discarding Sabot) rounds utilize a depleted uranium "penetrator" which, due to kinetic energy, literally punches a hole through the armor because of its mass and high velocity. The  penetrator, and the chunk of armor it displaced both shatter from the impact, and the shards ricochet throughout the interior of the vehicle, shredding the occupants and usually detonating any ammo that's not already loaded or stored in an armored magazine.

Reactive Armor does explode, and the purpose for this is to collapse the plasma jet that's generated by a shaped charge when it detonates on impact. Without the benefit of reactive armor, that plasma jet would burn through most armor plating, and the resulting molten spall splashes through the interior and detonates any ammo present and / or ignites any flammable materials (does a nasty job on any occupants, too).

Last edited by T1mbrW0lf (2005-09-27 15:12:54)

crusaderop50
+1|6844
i know that already.
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!

crusaderop50 wrote:

Yea, I wonder why you think that. Curious really.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
Stoned_Smurfz
The Mushroom Man
+1|6850|Australia

T1mbrW0lf wrote:

Nayo450 - Sounds like you're somewhat confused:

APFSDS (Armor Piercing, Fin Stabilised Discarding Sabot) rounds utilize a depleted uranium "penetrator" which, due to kinetic energy, literally punches a hole through the armor because of its mass and high velocity. The  penetrator, and the chunk of armor it displaced both shatter from the impact, and the shards ricochet throughout the interior of the vehicle, shredding the occupants and usually detonating any ammo that's not already loaded or stored in an armored magazine.

Reactive Armor does explode, and the purpose for this is to collapse the plasma jet that's generated by a shaped charge when it detonates on impact. Without the benefit of reactive armor, that plasma jet would burn through most armor plating, and the resulting molten spall splashes through the interior and detonates any ammo present and / or ignites any flammable materials (does a nasty job on any occupants, too).
HUH!!! this is a game lol a game, not real..

big gun goes bang people die the end..

lol if i wasnt confused before i sure as hell am now

Last edited by Stoned_Smurfz (2005-09-27 21:35:40)

T1mbrW0lf
+2|6800|Eastern PA

crusaderop50 wrote:

i know that already.

Stoned_Smurfz wrote:

lol if i wasnt confused before i sure as hell am now
Try reading carefully - the explaination was intended for nayo450 - who seemed unsure of the effects of SABOT rounds or the function of reactive armor.
kontrolcrimson
Get your body beat.
+183|6831|Australia
i would like to be able to jump on top of an enemy tankk and drop a nade down the hatch, to kill the driver, and steal the tank.
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!

kontrolcrimson wrote:

i would like to be able to jump on top of an enemy tankk and drop a nade down the hatch, to kill the driver, and steal the tank.
In defense of this I would then state that unless their is someone in a button up position maning the MG there should be no way of doing this as the hatch should be closed and locked from the inside. I wouldn't mind seeing the ability to have the MG on top manned internally as they can be done within the M1A2.
kontrolcrimson
Get your body beat.
+183|6831|Australia
even the little opening in the frount should be wide enough to shove a nade through..
with the mg on the tank the bodie should not dissapear for 15 sec but have the body to stay there, allowing nades to be dropped down.
Ag3nT-()r@ng3
Another German Mod
+6|6812|Lake Constanze, Germany

kontrolcrimson wrote:

Hehe saw too much 'Private Ryan', i guess?!
Don't get me wrong, but in a modern tank u would only kill the commandant and the 'gunner'.
Normally the driver lies in the body, secured with an extra hatch.
But i dont think somebody wants to 'nade' a modern tank.....

Greetz,
Agent
Major_Spittle
Banned
+276|6659|United States of America
T1mbrW0lf wrote:

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Reactive armor is used to defeat Heat rounds. SABOT rounds have no "plasma jet" because it does not use a shaped charge to focus a gas jet and blow the crap out of vehicles "ie a 15 ton turret flying 20ft in the air", and SABOT rounds are not significantly effected by reactive armor. Usually when a SABOT round impacts all you see a bright splash of sparks, then a fire starts in the vehicle it hits. This fire will quickly build "Usually burning diesel and hydrolic oil" and start setting off ammo magazines for secondary explosions that slowly rip the vehicle appart from the inside out. Flames 30ft in the air out the hatch while the vehicle buckles and shutters.  It is really quite fun to watch.

And for the kid who wants to be a Tank Commander, there will be no more great tank battles in your life time. Those days are gone.  Join the Navy or Air Force and get an MOS that will get you a good job when you get out of the military.
Psycho
Member since 2005
+44|6780|Kansas, USA

kontrolcrimson wrote:

even the little opening in the frount should be wide enough to shove a nade through..
with the mg on the tank the bodie should not dissapear for 15 sec but have the body to stay there, allowing nades to be dropped down.
What little opening are you talking about? Modern tanks are completely sealed (and overpressurized to operate in checmical/gas environments). They use specialize devices (akin to a periscope) for "seeing". Unless of course you are talking about the actual bore of the main gun. I woldn't be surprised if a regular hand grenade would have no effect if that was the case. But, the left over debris would probably be a huge problem when the next round was fired.

Major_Spittle, I think you misread T1mbrW0lf's post. He didn't say that Sabot rounds were shaped charges. He has two separate paragraphs - each stands on it's own.

Last edited by Psycho (2006-02-06 15:08:20)

Husker~ifh~
Beer Consumption Expert
+25|6734|Beerville, USA
I've taken full health tanks out with another tank in 1 shot several different times.  If you catch a enemy tank just right with a round it seems to result in a 1 shot wonder kill.  As far as the sweet spot all I can tell you is that it is where the turret meets the chasis, and it usually happened when the turret was facing to the rear while the chasis was facing me.  So play around with it and see what you come up with, but I can be done.
Major_Spittle
Banned
+276|6659|United States of America
OIC- I stand corrected, sorry T1mbrW0lf....

It would be nice if you could blow the track apart with Nades and the tank would lose mobility until an engineer fixed it.  I also wish that tanks and plane would not Respawn and you just got a limited number of them.  Put like 4 of them at a home base where arty couldn't get em, then the team that acually used them properly and maintained them so they wouldn't blow up would get the advantage and the other team would have to send specialized squads to hunt them down.  This would also be very useful for aircraft and jeeps so people wouldn't use them as kamakazees.  Jet would also think twice about flying near bases with AA missles and this would force them hunt things in safer areas with no AA missles (ie they would leave home bases alone due to risk of losing a jet that won't respawn, unless the coordinate with troops on ground that are taking out the AA defenses).
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6721|Riva, MD
Several weapons need to fire sabot, like the DAO-12 for instance, they make Sabot shot shells and it's for the anti-tank kit so it definately should.  I don't know how you would be able to tell the difference.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard