JonskyGBR
+5|6689|England
After reading this in the ROE:

2.3 You may not deliberately hinder your own team or acting in such as way as to cause teammates  unavoidable deaths or team losses.

Commander flying or in a vehicle instead of commanding

Can you take a screenshot of the dozy gits and get them done??
Sigarms357
Say Hello to My 11-87
+6|6755
I can command as well as any commander who fights infantry and dies....  I rarely do it, but successful commanding can be done in the air (edit: ESPECIALLY) with good communication with squads

Last edited by Sigarms357 (2006-02-09 21:01:47)

Aquafina
+0|6669
Actually, there is a difference. I usually hang out where the enemy wouldnt attack, and call artillery. Sometimes, I ride in a jet. NOT FLY IT, but ride it. THere is nothing bad about riding it when there is nowhere safe. THere is also squad leaders flying jets, while all of their members are doing the hard work.
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6717

Sigarms357 wrote:

I can command as well as any commander who fights infantry and dies....  I rarely do it, but successful commanding can be done in the air (edit: ESPECIALLY) with good communication with squads
I've seen alot of people claiming they can command in the air just as well as on the ground, but I've yet to see one who actually could.
Aquafina
+0|6669

Skruples wrote:

I've seen alot of people claiming they can command in the air just as well as on the ground, but I've yet to see one who actually could.
Riding Co-Pilot? Riding in a helicopter? Thats a way.
Sigarms357
Say Hello to My 11-87
+6|6755

Skruples wrote:

Sigarms357 wrote:

i can do it on Kubra Dam all day long provides there is not intense dog fights all round.  Just call artillery and uav while on the edges of the map, drop supplies near a group of people, bomb a flag, reload rinse and repeat.  Got requests and communicate with your squads? Even easier.

Granted some maps are easier than others, that is the one I found  can do it effectively on... However, being commander is detrimental to your score when in the f15.   I just provide useful services for the greater good when noone takes the opportunity.  And if I can do it with my skill set, I am sure someone can do it better and more effective from the air.
imdead
Death StatPadder
+228|6785|Human Meat Shield
I agree with Skruples; I have yet to see it benefit the 'other' troops when in a chopper or jet; co-pilot or not. In order to properly adhere to the commanding role you have to push that Scan button more than once; and put the UAV not just in 'your' attacking area. Planes are too fast moving and have to pay attention at every pixel; not saying it can't be done, it just can't be done effectively to satisfy everyone on the battlefield. If commanding is done right you should never be out of the commanding screen -- on a full 64 server.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6732
A commander should stay in one spot hidden... if your a good commander,there is 2 much to keep an eye on
UAV scans,arty,enemy troop movement... strategy... and if your passenger commanding in a plane or chopper... you are preventing someone from being a gunner who can concentrate on targets exclusively...     CB
Love is the answer
Rick_Biessman
+4|6793|Germany
Yeah, the commander is the eye of the team. It is ALWAYS better to let a teammate use the vehicle (when he follows your orders), gunners also.
On big servers with less people (like Kubra) the commander can also defend a flag, but that means he has to use Scan every 30 secs or so to see incoming enemies.
Prepair the flag (C4, mine-trapped unused vehicles, claymores) the best way and you can defend one more flag than just sitting in an edge waiting for the next arti strike from enemy commander

Btw: When a commander is fighting, he decreases his and his teammates possible score, cause he kills and teamworks without getting points. Think of it.
Methos_Tribun
+0|6756

Aquafina wrote:

Actually, there is a difference. I usually hang out where the enemy wouldnt attack, and call artillery. Sometimes, I ride in a jet. NOT FLY IT, but ride it. THere is nothing bad about riding it when there is nowhere safe. THere is also squad leaders flying jets, while all of their members are doing the hard work.
I don't fly as a commander but when I'm in a bomber like the F15 or Su34 then I'll become a squad leader so everbody can join and be my lgm officer or jump out and parachute over a capture point.

For me there is nothing worse then fly a bomber alone (squad member oder lone wolf) where you can't join them.

For the second reason I can communicate over VOIP with the commander to tell him spot or mark bombing targets for me. Or sometimes they tell wich flag i had to defend - that means drop a lot of bombs. Works for both of us. He can hold the CP and I got some kills and defend points.

Think about it...

Last edited by Methos_Tribun (2006-02-10 00:12:48)

TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6689|Colorado
I wouldn't go as far as a stats reset, maybe a boot from the server though, givem the hint...
SharkyMcshark
I'll take two
+132|6802|Perth, Western Australia
In my opinion you can PHYSCIALLY command and fl, but you arent doing as good as a job as someone just ndedicated to commanding or someone just dedicated to flying. In my opinion I think you should stick to commanding if ur a commander and give the jet to a proper fly boy
Aquafina
+0|6669
Commanders are not suppose to be piloting Air planes, because they aren't suppose to fight. They are suppose to support the team mates. Us devoted COmmanders hit Caps Lock, and actually give the squads orders. There was once a commander that just kept spamming. " ENemy Armour spotter. " Continuesly, and he was kicked.
THe point is, Commanders are not suppose to fight.
JonskyGBR
+5|6689|England
Maybe I should have stated A J-10 on a 64 player Wake island with around 60 players in it.

It was even somebody else on my team that brought it to my attention as the commander was piloting the Z-10 attack chopper, that got shot down and I was hoping that he would start to command, oh no, Jet spawns and I see him get it. Basically he was after no more than x2 score if we won. No UAV's going up or whatever.
Needless to say we lost that round by quite a margin.

Had I'd been half a second earlier in spotting him I would have sniped him, as it was I was using the standard rifle and not the M95 (with no intension of getting the jet myself as I was having a good sniper round)

I understand that in a small 16 player server sometimes it's necessary for the commander to assume an infantry postion, but on anything over 20 I think it's best to find a spot and have the commander screen open all the time, I constantly use the Sat SCAN to see what the enemy is doing and order the squads accordingly (whether they actually go is another matter entirely)

I agree with the squadleaders in jets, as commander I like to be able to give an indication on where the enemy is concentrated for his bombing runs.
BUDFORCE
Moderator Emeritus
+76|6789|London UK

I think this whole stats reset thing is being blown WAY out of proportion.
Aquafina
+0|6669
THis is kind of silly, but, we made a plan. My friend were squad leaders. Alpha squad was assault. Beta is Bombing. Beta requests artillery, and is usually in aircraft, with Anti-Tanks and Spec Ops, with Det packs. Beta Squad would suppress explosives, and Alpha would suppress. But, that was a long time ago.
OpsChief
+101|6692|Southern California

Sigarms357 wrote:

I admire good pilots and meaning no disrespect Sig, if you are in a jet as a pilot (not wpns gunner) with more than 16 v 16 teams then you cannot compete with a commander using indirect style command techniques. Simple mathematics overrules your assertion m8    How many crates, UAV/Sat and Arty missions are possible in a game and how many fewer do you do because you are ripping apart some noob enemy jet pilots or dodging AA missiles?

In a smaller game it has less impact to fly and command but in larger games the commander must be Proactive with support and combat intelligence and must have no delays on requests. One of the most important tools a commander has is the ability to zoom into the map and assist squads in close battle spotting targets, visually clearing recently capped flags, etc.. A pilot will crash b4 he could assist that way and doing less is not really "good" command. I have seen pilots with high command and high jet scores who do not perform as well as many with lower stats who remain focussed on their jobs. Command is a full time job in larger games.  You may think you are doing OK but what has really happened is the ground forces on your team are just doing their jobs and fighting in spite of you.

Good Luck and Good Hunting!

Last edited by OpsChief (2006-02-10 10:42:47)

JonskyGBR
+5|6689|England

BUDFORCE wrote:

I think this whole stats reset thing is being blown WAY out of proportion.
Yeah it is mate, I honestly couldn't give a toss if someone stat padded 10 times to get a heal badge or whatever, it's doing it all map to get an insanely high score that bothers me.

Thing with the commander though is there is always someone who wants to command properly and can't cos of some dick in a jet who, let's face it, is impossible to mutiny against as you need like 90% or something of the team to vote.
Aquafina
+0|6669
A commander should only fly a plane as a last resort.
Place getting attacked, need a get away. Need to get somewhere. I was kicked from a server for ten minutes, I request a pickup. So I get in the airplane, and fly to where I want to go, and I get this.
Somebody: OMFG! Tat comanoor iz in ah jatplan1111!!!!" And I get kicked.
petethecheese
+9|6779|England
Bottom line here - Commander command, Pilots fly, Soldiers fight.  You start mixing the roles up and it all goes to hell in a handcart.. The ONLY time I've ever fought when playing a commander is when I need to
a)defend my commander assets (SF guys trying to blow em up)
b) repair them after someone's blown em up (Your team needs the supply crate, not you)
c) If we're havin our arse kicked on a relativeley small server (,24 players in game) and it's necessary to cap a few flags to win the game.  Once control is reestablished, crack on looking at the command screen and DO YOUR JOB!!!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard