Crypto_420
+25|6845|Portland
my idea:

gig back bone to my switch, NAS, ftp/web server

problem, my modem to my router is only 100 and I cant find a modem that supports a "gig" 1000Mbps to coax

I can only find 10/100 speeds, does anyone have a work around? or know a true modem that supports of 1000Mbps

Thanks
Snowmanimal
Not so unique forum title
+30|6545|My head
who is your ISP. how are you going to get that kind of bandwidth into your place? There is no way you are getting gigabit into your house through a router/modem without shelling out some serious Dough.
Ricerckt93
+69|6654
So, are you trying to set up a WAN, or a LAN?

If it is just a LAN, your computer(s) will be networked after the router.  Which could easily be in the Gig., speed.

If you are trying to set up some kind of WAN, where your computer(s) are connecting across the internet to another computer(s), then that is way beyond me, and am guessing it would be very expensive too.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6603|132 and Bush

In the case of the internet you are only as fast as the server you are connected to.  They are testing 100 mbs in my area now and sites like youtube will still only come at around 3mbs . I have 20 and that is ideal for the price... At least for now.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6718
you have all those certifications and you dont know your d/l speeds are below 100mb...lol

the fastest speeds verizon fios has tested so far is 800mb down and 100-150 up... not available yet though... fastest fios(fiber) currently is less than a 100mb

Last edited by [TUF]Catbox (2007-12-23 00:14:18)

Love is the answer
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6603|132 and Bush

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

you have all those certifications and you dont know your d/l speeds are below 100mb...lol

the fastest speeds verizon fios has tested so far is 800mb down and 100-150 up... not available yet though... fastest fios(fiber) currently is less than a 100mb
Tampa, Dallas, and parts of the NE are test markets. We had FIOS before everyone else. This was a few months ago http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=r … 94nhy0EyBg
Xbone Stormsurgezz
mikkel
+383|6603
Why would you want 1Gbps link between your router and your modem? Does your outside connection even exceed the 100Mbps?

I have a 1Gbps backbone of my own with a 1Gbps outside connection, but I leverage a Cisco 7609, dot1q tunneling, and an x86 box with 1Gbps NICs to do the metro tagging. Good luck finding an affordable router with full 1Gbps interfaces for home use, let alone a modem for a residential connection. The need just isn't there.
[TUF]Whiskey_Oktober
mmmm...Toasty!
+91|6724|Oregon

Kmarion wrote:

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

Tampa, Dallas, and parts of the NE are test markets. We had FIOS before everyone else. This was a few months ago http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=r … 94nhy0EyBg
yes, but catbox is right. fios is not available at its full potential, and probably wont be for quite some time.
Crypto_420
+25|6845|Portland
I understand that my ISP is only 12MBPS,  I'm talking about WAN setup.  I have alot of traffic moving Gigs of info at times which lags the door out "router/modem"  When I mean Elite I mean give me every idea you got, assuming price means nothing. Example OC fiber or such.

Something for extreme home/office setup.  I know Im limited by ISP but I have ran Download test and peaked at 22MBPS and only 1.3MBPS up.
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6850|"Frisco"

Unless your end points support the speed, there is hardly any reason to push over the gigabit limit at this point.

For a home network, even a large on, the need to push beyond that simply isn't there. Perhaps if you had 6 computers constantly streaming media across them to each other, interlinked to another network of 6 machines you might need a fiber switch, but I REALLY doubt that's a use case you're planning for.

It seems to me that you are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist, as far as I've seen in this thread. Defining the "elitest" home network is pointless unless you really need it.

What do you WANT your network to do -- at the end points, that is. Daily backups? Stream to your media center? Share lots of files all the time? Game in the LAN? Etc. How many machines will be linked up? What applications will be running between them using bandwidth? How far spread out are all the machine?

I can pretty much say that, unless you are REALLY falling out of the norm here, you would be wise to spend some money in plain gigabit gear and leave it at that.
mikkel
+383|6603

Crypto_420 wrote:

I understand that my ISP is only 12MBPS,  I'm talking about WAN setup.  I have alot of traffic moving Gigs of info at times which lags the door out "router/modem"  When I mean Elite I mean give me every idea you got, assuming price means nothing. Example OC fiber or such.

Something for extreme home/office setup.  I know Im limited by ISP but I have ran Download test and peaked at 22MBPS and only 1.3MBPS up.
Connections above FiOS in the US aren't really typically branded as products. You contact a local or regional network services provider and ask if they can set you up with a connection to meet your needs. There's nothing called "OC fibre". OC, Optical Carrier, are designations for SDH/SONET throughput. Typically what you'd get from a network services provider is a packet switched connection like a 100BASE-FX or 1/10Gbps Ethernet over a fibre pair at a designated wavelength, or a circuit switched connection like a T carrier or a primary rate ISDN connection.
prototype
+52|6313
I am gonna play dumb here and ask why would you guys want to set this kind of rig up?

What would be the need unless you wanted to be a major FTP for movies and other large files?
jsnipy
+3,276|6524|...

I call shenanigans. This topic seems to be for the sake of "Look how leet I am". You want fast? Keep your machines in a hosting center buy some real pipe (where the up is as fast as the down) and RDP into them.

Last edited by jsnipy (2007-12-28 07:19:57)

Crypto_420
+25|6845|Portland
I have 10 computers and a 2TB FTP NAS on the giga lan side.  I want to be able to handle atlest 16 VPN connections into my network,

for, centralized administration of Web site, FTP, File Server, WAN Gaming and gig sharing & backups
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6850|"Frisco"

So, basically, you're full of it. I'm going to go with jsnipey on this one.

There is zero way you can run wan gaming from a dsl line -- especially once you tack on all that other jazz you're spouting off (webserver, a ftp server, and "gig sharing & backups", whatever that is). Not on a 1.3mbps connection at least. (We are talking megaBITS per second here, right? your test sounds like a pretty common 24/1 dsl line report to me...)

If you want fast movement of files within your network, that makes sense. First step is to make sure your computers are up to the task: old, slow HD's or poorly performing cpu's make network speed pointless. After which point, throw a gigabit switch at it and be done. Plug your regular 'ol modem into a regular 'ol router and tap that into the giga switch. Unless you are working some real heavy iron for grid computing or something* I really don't see the point of this going further than that on the internal network. As to the external and it's path in there is absolutely zero reason to burn anything more than 80$.

* = It really sounds more like you've got big ideas about running a datacenter over your dsl line which is not only delusional because of the realities of your capped upload speed, but almost 100% of the time prohibited by your ISP anyway.
mikkel
+383|6603

Crypto_420 wrote:

I have 10 computers and a 2TB FTP NAS on the giga lan side.  I want to be able to handle atlest 16 VPN connections into my network,

for, centralized administration of Web site, FTP, File Server, WAN Gaming and gig sharing & backups
Anything less than a 25Mbps symmetrical connection is completely irrelevant in this scenario. The ISP I'm employed with delivers up to 25Mbps symmetrical connections as standard products, and we allow people to run whatever services they please. We often get requests for 50Mbps and 100Mbps symmetrical upgrades from customers with demands lesser than what you're listing.

Unless you're in the fortunate (read: impossible) situation of being in the service area of a high bandwidth, low restrictions carrier in the US that's actually affordable on anything lower than a higher six figure income, I'm afraid that you're SOL.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard