T1g3r217
Perpetual
+124|6422|My room
Offical Site if you haven't heard of it

Starcraft was the first video game I ever played (yeah, I skipped platformers until I was what, 7-ish?), and I still play it 10 years later. I found out about this a while ago, and thought that someone would have put it up here, but I searched, and unless it was on pages 10-12, I didn't find it.

Anyway, the game looks really good right now, and here are a list of units/buildings from what a remember, followed by a brief description

Protoss-psychic aliens who use their minds to control their weapons. They more you tech 'em the stronger they get.

Zealot-same as original except with a new rush attack

Immortal-Same as the Dragoon in the original, except with shields that repel large missles better than small bullets

Stalker-The Dark Templar version of the Dragoon, with an ability to teleport

Phase Prism-Shuttles and mobile Pylons rolled into one.

Phoenix-The backbone of the Protoss air forces, the Phoenix has an abiity to attack all enemies in the area at once with a period of total vulnerability afterwards

Colossus-A giant tripod robot that can be targeted by anti-air and anti-ground units/defenses; however, it razes ground structures/buildings in seconds. Colossus can walk over cliffs.

Warp Ray-Another air unit that has an attack that gets stronger as it continues firing.

Twilight Archon-The Archon from the original, now complete with feet!

Dark Templar-Basically the same as the Brood War templars

Mothership-The "Big Momma" of the Protoss air, with Planet Cracker, Cloak Field, and Time Warp abilities

Carrier-Same as original

Observor-Same as original

PROTOSS BUILDINGS-

Gateway-Produces organic ground units and can act as a warp gate

Stargate-Produces air units

Pylon*-Protoss units can now be teleported anywhere in the Pylon field. (Yes, the Phase Prism retains this ability).

*Note-this is not on the offical site, but if you watch the gameplay vids, it's pretty apparent.

TERRAN-Humans (mostly criminals) that were exiled to the farthest reaches of space. They specialize in a adaptation

Marines (the grunts)-Same as the original, except now they can be upgraded to carry shields.

Reapers (The psychos)-"Super-criminals" who can leap over cliffs, carry dual pistols, use jetpacks, and have Demo packs, making them rather flexible. Too bad they don't last long.

Ghosts (The snipers/stealth ops)-These pretty much sucked in SC1, except for their nuke, which any decent player could stop. Now, they have a new "snipe" ability in which they "headshot" any organic unit, causing massive damage. They can also call for drop pods carrying Marines to reinforce them in case of battle. Oh, and they still have all of their original abilities, including Nuke and Cloak.

Viking (air/ground support)-A unit that switches between air and ground. In air mode, it only attacks air units. In ground mode, it only attacks ground units. However, it can switch between these in a few seconds, making it (extremely) versatile.

Banshee (stealth bomber)-An air-to-ground "cluster bomber" that can cloak and take out tightly packed groups of enemies within seconds.

Thor (mobile artillery)-The Battlecruiser of the ground in most respects, the Thor's immense (to say the very least) firepower is balanced by its slow turning speed. These are so big, that they have to be built from the ground up by SCVs.

Battlecruiser-My all time favorite Terran unit (the Protoss equivalent of which was the Scout, which was scrapped), the Battlecruiser retains its Yamato Cannon (my all time fave attack in SC1), but now has a burst fire instead of single shot (it shoots three fast shots as opposed to one slow one). Also, it has a plasma torpedo, which basically does what the Banshee does, except while looking cooler and taking energy. Individual Battlecruisers can be customized to have either a Yamato Cannon or Plasma Torpedo

Nomad-An airborne SCV (from what I understand, it can mine for minerals) that can drop temporary base defenses.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My favorite race from the original has yet to come (in case you haven't played the original, that's the Zerg), and from what little I've seen of them, they looked super-souped up. I'll organize this further as I get more time, and if I've missed anything, you can either berate me in front of everyone or send me a PM.

I'll add Terran Buildings later...I'm feelin lazy again.

Last edited by T1g3r217 (2007-12-18 13:17:44)

TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6440|Brisbane, Australia

Good to know, thanks.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
Smithereener
+138|6316|California
StarCraft II is one of the few upcoming games that I actually am really excited about. I love Starcraft, it's one of the few games I still play even after so long.

T1g3r217 wrote:

Phase Prism-Shuttles and mobile Pylons rolled into one I think this is absolutely awesome. Instant teleportation wherever you want

Phoenix-The backbone of the Protoss air forces, the Phoenix has an abiity to attack all enemies in the area at once with a period of total vulnerability afterwards I don't think this is so awesome though, I like the design, but not the ability.

Dark Templar-Basically the same as the Brood War templars I think they carry scythes now

PROTOSS BUILDINGS-

Gateway-Produces organic ground units If I'm not mistaken, I think these can function as warp gates now
If I may add just some things that I'm excited about (Mostly Terran stuff) -
1. Thor - Massive mecha unit that is actually built by SCVs, not from a building. People still don't know what kind of role it is supposed to fulfill because it seems to kind of overlap with the Siege Tank, but I'm still excited about this particular unit.
2. Sensor/Radar Tower - The ability to track units in it's radius even in the fog of war? Awesome.
3. Ghosts - I didn't like ghosts in the original Starcraft except for the occassional need for lockdown or nukes - those two things seemed to be the only thing they were good for, I mean, they had a piss poor attack. They got buffed in StarCraft II, and seem like they're worth sometihng now.
4. Banshees - Cloaks and provides ground support from the air. Looks pretty powerful.
5. Vikings - Transformers . Pretty fun looking.
6. Battlecruisers - Ability to choose between the Yamato Cannon or Plasma Torpedoes. Concentrated blast at a single target, or a barrage of AOE damage? Choices...
7. Supply Depots can now rise and sink into the ground. Awesome.

But I'm kind of concerned about a few things for Terrans - they don't seem to have a real way to counter air targets. The Goliath got scrapped in favour of the Viking, which frankly, seems too jack-of-all-trades to be truly effective as AA. The Wraith also got binned, which was kinda sad, considering that groups of wraiths were awesome for taking out large air units such as Carriers or BCs, as well as being an early method of raiding an opponent's economy. The Valkyrie was awesome for taking out swarms of air units, and there doesn't seem to be a replacement for this.

But I'm still confident that Blizzard is going to be able to balance out all the units and make a game that'll be playable for another 10+ years. If not, hey, there's still Starcraft the original.
Unclean009
Da Dirty Man!
+66|6652|Spokane, Washington

I am really looking forward to this. I used to play Starcraft all the time back in the day.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6324|New Haven, CT
I never understood why Starcraft was seen as such as good game.

Enlighten, please.
BF2Craglyeye
+72|6673|Australia
If you didn't play its hard to explain.

One of the best strategy games of all time.

Units were balanced. Gameplay was fun. Enough strategic ideas could be made.

Campaign editor was fun and easy to use.

Excellent SP missions.

STARCRAFT 2  - IM GETTING ALL TINGLY 
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6366|California
IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT STARCRAFT IS OR ENJOY IT THEN GTFO
Now back to the thread, SC2 will. fucking. own. 2008 of all games.
I played it since the year it came out, I am 16 now, guess how long I been playing , well I guess thats just cause im asian.
T1g3r217
Perpetual
+124|6422|My room

Smithereener wrote:

StarCraft II is one of the few upcoming games that I actually am really excited about. I love Starcraft, it's one of the few games I still play even after so long.

T1g3r217 wrote:

Phase Prism-Shuttles and mobile Pylons rolled into one I think this is absolutely awesome. Instant teleportation wherever you want

Phoenix-The backbone of the Protoss air forces, the Phoenix has an abiity to attack all enemies in the area at once with a period of total vulnerability afterwards I don't think this is so awesome though, I like the design, but not the ability.

Dark Templar-Basically the same as the Brood War templars I think they carry scythes now

PROTOSS BUILDINGS-

Gateway-Produces organic ground units If I'm not mistaken, I think these can function as warp gates now
Whoops...forgot stuff. I'll start adding Terran crap now.

btw, where did you see the Dark Templar scythe thing? I couldn't find it, but that could be my insanely high power.
djphetal
Go Ducks.
+346|6336|Oregon
I cry every moment I have to wait for this game.
When it arrives, I will probably die.
Smithereener
+138|6316|California

T1g3r217 wrote:

btw, where did you see the Dark Templar scythe thing? I couldn't find it, but that could be my insanely high power.
I dunno, looking at some of the concept art and the unit model in the game, it kinda looks like they hold scythes. I like the blades a lot better.
T1g3r217
Perpetual
+124|6422|My room
The armament says that they're "Modified Warp Blades"

I'm assuming that they stuck one blade on each side of a stick and called it "modified"
pirate7474
Oh noes!
+11|6000|USA
well...the terrans are at with their defenses again...the nomad doesnt really seem like its more effective than science vessels...sure science vessels cost more, but the nomad needs time to build the defenses...which takes time

its basically an uncloaked observer...that can build stuff

they're taking there time...but i hopefully they'll release a beta
that would be awesome
Smithereener
+138|6316|California

pirate7474 wrote:

well...the terrans are at with their defenses again...the nomad doesnt really seem like its more effective than science vessels...sure science vessels cost more, but the nomad needs time to build the defenses...which takes time

its basically an uncloaked observer...that can build stuff

they're taking there time...but i hopefully they'll release a beta
that would be awesome
Yeah, I'm not too stoked about the nomad, I like the Science Vessel a lot better, just based on the abilites - Defense Matrix was so useful, and EMP was awesome in bringing down protoss shields/energy. Irradiate was just funny, especially on a tight group of overlords.
T1g3r217
Perpetual
+124|6422|My room
Science vessels were win. If nomads can mine, tho, they'll be worth it.
pirate7474
Oh noes!
+11|6000|USA
this guy on the starcraft forums compiled basically everything...pretty nice
plus theres questions
http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.asp … #post22772
i must say...its pretty nice
BF2Craglyeye
+72|6673|Australia
Semi unrelated....  Multiplayer + Starcraft + Koreans  = Serious Business

Last edited by BF2Craglyeye (2007-12-18 20:41:08)

=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6366|California
Yah, seriously fucking koreans!!!
Anyways SC2 Won't be good till the Zerg is revealed.
KeKeKe Zerg Rush!!
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6324|New Haven, CT

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT STARCRAFT IS OR ENJOY IT THEN GTFO
This deserves negative karma. I never said I didn't know what Starcraft was, and never said I didn't enjoy it. I liked it, but it wasn't some divine game that everyone treats it as.

Now back to the thread, SC2 will. fucking. own. 2008 of all games.
Based on these reports of units, it seems like little more than a 3D version of the original. That doesn't help differentiate from others.
joker8baller
+68|6667
I personally really enjoyed SCII, although Terran seems to be pretty underpowered in the beginning, they have great classes to rush with, as well as a defense class IMO. I got raped by Protoss the first time I played it =\ They somehow warped into my base and killed me.
Smithereener
+138|6316|California
I think the reason so many people revere it because it's so well balanced even with having three distinctly different races and units. I mean, there is a counter to everything. Plus, the storyline was pretty good. To be honest, I think a lot of the Blizzard plots are pretty well done.

nukchebi0 wrote:

Based on these reports of units, it seems like little more than a 3D version of the original. That doesn't help differentiate from others.
Part of that is true, some of the units were left there because they're essentially the core of the Starcraft series, while others remained, mostly due to the fanbase wanting them there. If I'm not mistaken, the Carrier was scrapped to make way for the Tempest, because the Warp Ray took over as the Protoss's capital ship, but so many players wanted it back that it was reintroduced. Same with the firebat.

But I think a lot more has changed than simply the graphics. I like how the concept of cliffs got expanded, in the original, higher ground gave you an advantage because those on the lower ground had a 50% chance to miss, and now certain ground units can cross the terrain more freely, making things more interesting. I think there are now destructible doodads in SCII.
joker8baller
+68|6667
The graphics are good, like, but on the whole a great experience, as it seemed to run fine. The units are still about the same, with a lot tweaks and such, and from what I heard/saw from the singleplayer overview, it looked insanely fun, kind of like a RPG type based game at the same time, with an in-depth storyline and more information about the characters.

Last edited by joker8baller (2007-12-18 21:59:17)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard