Sgt. Sergio Bennet 3rd
+169|6748|Mexico City
any MECSF attack chopper against another attack chopper + Essex Cannon/missiles + 6 AT at deck will suffer a lot.

the MEC attack chopper has the hardest job, it has to destroy essex and enemy chopper first so ground troops can get at ship.

Any team that has 2 noobs flying the attack chopper is going to lose...
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6109|Birmingham, UK

nukchebi0 wrote:

AdamBenson wrote:

I'm sick of people saying the "Lucky" person in the gunners seat. For one, I want to pilot every time on this map b/c 80% of the gunners dont know what to do or just suck. It's not like some noob can hop in the gunners seat and get tons of kills.

PS- EA 24/7 Iron Gator has been getting great play lately- 40+ ppl on it
Lol. I joined that server, and there was four three stars and one four star on the MEC team, and the highest U.S. player was a Captain.  I hate teamstacking. It is gay.

Edit: To second person, when your team is a bunch of morons, you can't really choose where to spawn. Also, if you kept getting shot down, that was probably because your pilot sucked.
Ranks mean nothing in this, or, any other game, the best player could make a new account, so a private could be better than a 4 star general, not often, but i've seen it happen.
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6567|England

Sgt. Sergio Bennet 3rd wrote:

any MECSF attack chopper against another attack chopper + Essex Cannon/missiles + 6 AT at deck will suffer a lot.

the MEC attack chopper has the hardest job, it has to destroy essex and enemy chopper first so ground troops can get at ship.
True, but anyone with an ounce of experience on the map can do this. Hell, Ive done it soloing the other day halfway through a round.

Most players cannot understand how to play the map. All it needs is the pilot to go straight up, tilt back and unleash a TV at the Essex. Fly over the Essex gun, up high and hit the Apache from behind (how many Apache pilots expect the HIND to come from that direction?). Hit it from behind (stay out of this Behemoth...), and thats that. Rape the hell out of the viewing deck and thats the air defenses gone. So long as you can circle that HIND quickly, it is going to take some insane SRAW shots to even hit you, let alone kill you.

Put me as the pilot, RD as the gunner and I can almost guarantee that the Apache wont take off again once it is down.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6325|Graz, Austria
Two questions:
1) Can the grappling hooks reach the areas nearest to the water level (e.g. those cat-walks at the sides) when thrown from a RIB?
2) Can you actually get onto a grappling (by pressing E) when sitting on passenger seats 3-6 on a RIB?

This will probably not work, as much more people would enter the Essex elsewhere.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6683|Disaster Free Zone

globefish23 wrote:

Two questions:
1) Can the grappling hooks reach the areas nearest to the water level (e.g. those cat-walks at the sides) when thrown from a RIB?
2) Can you actually get onto a grappling (by pressing E) when sitting on passenger seats 3-6 on a RIB?

This will probably not work, as much more people would enter the Essex elsewhere.
There are no grappling hooks or zip lines on the map.

Snake wrote:

All it needs is the pilot to go straight up, tilt back and unleash a TV at the Essex. Fly over the Essex gun, up high and hit the Apache from behind (how many Apache pilots expect the HIND to come from that direction?). Hit it from behind (stay out of this Behemoth...), and thats that. Rape the hell out of the viewing deck and thats the air defenses gone. So long as you can circle that HIND quickly, it is going to take some insane SRAW shots to even hit you, let alone kill you.

Put me as the pilot, RD as the gunner and I can almost guarantee that the Apache wont take off again once it is down.
That's assuming a lot.
A) the Apache pilot is stupid.
B) Seals have no commander or a useless one.

And even if you do keep the choppers grounded a smart Seals team will let you have the 2 top flags and keep the fighting inside where the chopper is little to no  threat. Keep in mind MEC needs to take 4 of the six flags to stop ticket bleed. So sacrificing the top 2 to stop getting raped is the intelligent thing to do. I have only lost once while playing Seals on gator and that came down to 8 tickets in a 6v6 game.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6470

Emil wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Iron Gator without attack helicopters
..would ruin the map
Sgt. Sergio Bennet 3rd
+169|6748|Mexico City

Snake wrote:

True, but anyone with an ounce of experience on the map can do this. Hell, Ive done it soloing the other day halfway through a round.
Most players cannot understand how to play the map. All it needs is the pilot to go straight up, tilt back and unleash a TV at the Essex. Fly over the Essex gun, up high and hit the Apache from behind (how many Apache pilots expect the HIND to come from that direction?). Hit it from behind (stay out of this Behemoth...), and thats that. Rape the hell out of the viewing deck and thats the air defenses gone. So long as you can circle that HIND quickly, it is going to take some insane SRAW shots to even hit you, let alone kill you.
if the apache is taken by 2 coronels or above, you wont be able to even take off from spawn. they only need 5 seconds to kill you at the beginning of round.
if the commander or the team spot the Hind, be assure the apache will be ready to kill it, including that the essex gunner will be hunting for it too.

if the apache is taken by experienced players, the MECSF will have a very hard time to even move out of shore...
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6325|Graz, Austria

DrunkFace wrote:

There are no grappling hooks or zip lines on the map.
Really?
You mean none of the kits has those utilities?

I never noticed that.
Probably because there's rarely a situation where I would have thought about using one of those.
howler_27
+90|6688
Gator used to have hooks and zips, but it was nixxed in one of the patches.  Actually would have come in handy for a MEC boat crew to grapple up the side of the carrier to gain a bit easier access.
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6567|England

DrunkFace wrote:

That's assuming a lot.
A) the Apache pilot is stupid.
B) Seals have no commander or a useless one.

And even if you do keep the choppers grounded a smart Seals team will let you have the 2 top flags and keep the fighting inside where the chopper is little to no  threat. Keep in mind MEC needs to take 4 of the six flags to stop ticket bleed. So sacrificing the top 2 to stop getting raped is the intelligent thing to do. I have only lost once while playing Seals on gator and that came down to 8 tickets in a 6v6 game.
True, the pilot does have to be stupid, but the map is often won depending upon the start of the round.
HIND and Apache both take off about the same time, TV into the Essex leaves 1v1 choppering. The Apache gunner has no way of knowing the exact location of the HIND (height, distance and location). After that, a smart HIND pilot will sit away and let the gunner TV the apache (up close, the apache will win), who is more often than not looking out for one of two helicopters. If it sees the Mi-17 first, it is going to prey on it. Without doubt. 6 kills is a always waaaay to tempting to resist for all but the most elite and focused heli crews. So...use it as bait - 6 tickets lost is nothing if you can then dominate that deck area and deplete their tickets and all form of air defense barring SRAW's.

I tend to fly at around 300-350 after the Essex gun is down, which allows you to get behind the Apache without any problem what-so-ever and lines you up perfectly for a TV shot due to where the TV view for the SF choppers is located. If the Apache wants to retaliate, it has to get into a very steep angle to shoot back.

If the HIND cant do that from the outset, then the MECSF will almost certainly lose if the Apache team know what they are doing - and I agree with both you and Bennet on that, chances are you wont even take off unless server rules forbid uncap raping/killing.

But, all it takes is for the Apache pilot to turn his attention to taking out a RIB or Jetski speeding around the hull of the ship and you can nail the bastard from behind (very rarely does this not happen...even 4star Gens turn their attention to them). I often catch it down near the entrance to the Hangar Bay lift....an easy, sitting target.
Ive never seen a game of Gator...in 185hours on the map, where the Apache pilot/gunner hasnt been taken down at least once - and that is usually due to them turning their attention elsewhere.

In larger games, I find the MECSF rarely win due to the shear amount of people. But in smaller matches (i.e. Workaholics server) the SEAL's have a harder time. Rank/experience play a key role in it too, but thats the case.

Last edited by Snake (2007-12-11 09:49:53)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard