lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3
+369|6839|Denver colorado
I've been researching every part and component of the dell xps M1530 notebook that I intend to get and theres one thing I need a little more input for.

The laptop is going to ship with vista home premium edition and I was wondering what everyone thinks of their vista so far.
MetaL*
Banned
+188|6166|Anaheim, Mexifornia
Its good
JG1567JG
+110|6597|United States of America
Honestly, I really like Vista.  I wasn't too fond of it when I first started useing Vista but in 4-6 months of using Vista, it has only crashed once on me.  It seem so much more stable than XP.  I would always freeze XP up just by clicking on things too fast.  Vista still will want to freeze when you get to clicking on windows and links too fast but it always seems to come out of it.  You may not like User Account Control (UAC) windows popping up all the time asking for your permission but it (UAC) can be turned off.

P.S. If I think of more I will update this post.
ReDevilJR
+106|6360
Fine for me, very few incompatibilities that I couldn't fix. Usually 3rd party apps that were incompatible, with my X64-bit Home Premium.
jsnipy
+3,276|6532|...

I have dual booted along with XP as well as running it inside of a virtual machine inside of Vista. I have has no issues with it, aside from it being noticeably slower than XP with the games I currently. I imagine not too long after the service pack I'll move to it as my primary OS.
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6375|California
both of my friends have vista on their new laptops they got, and seem to experience lag when playing games but i guess its just cause they suck at managing a laptop
r'Eeee
That's how I roll, BITCH!
+311|6458

Great OS, don't have any problem(s). Looks really nice, the only bad thing is that, it uses loads of your memory. If you have 2GB, then you are set.
lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3

r'Eeee wrote:

Great OS, don't have any problem(s). Looks really nice, the only bad thing is that, it uses loads of your memory. If you have 2GB, then you are set.
ok cool. Thats what Im getting

And im going to disable areo and other flashy vista features because I run something called bbclean. I think that will help the performance issues a bit.
Des.Kmal
+917|6627|Atlanta, Georgia, USA
i uninstalled it. and went back to XP. it was the worst thing ever.

(vista, x64 ultimate)
Add me on Origin for Battlefield 4 fun: DesKmal
RandomSchl
|\/|€|\/|߀|2
+52|6453|California
I used Vista for around 2 months before I got rid of it. I have two Gigabytes of memory but it still wasn't enough. Bf2 was stuttery and I couldn't even play Company of Heroes. Vista is a good option if you have LOTS of memory and an overall powerful computer. But as of right now it just isn't the best option (my point of view). But I believe that within 6 months it will be alot more optimized and worth it.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6579|Portland, OR, USA

Des.Kmal wrote:

i uninstalled it. and went back to XP. it was the worst thing ever.

(vista, x64 ultimate)
hmm, I agree with kmal

maybe I should go back to vista
¦TØP¦straz_mataz
+49|6194
I hated it for the first month or so it would BSOD on me all the time. But after i turned off a bunch of the flashy shit and tweaked around with it the OS has become really quite stable for me. In the past 4-5 months it has maybe crashed 5 times.
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6669|The darkside of Denver
Eh, I cant complain.  Stable for me, gaming isnt really an issue on my system even w/ vista. I cant really comment on lappy performance w/ Vista...
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6547|Long Island, New York
I've had some problems here and there, but on the whole part I like it.

DX10 is sex, I love the Aero interface, easier to access many things, looks much nicer, etc.

Bad things are: Windows Defender is shit, a few bugs here and there, some (but very few) game crashes, and it's a RAM hog.

But overall, I love it.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6423|Finland

Poseidon wrote:

I've had some problems here and there, but on the whole part I like it.

DX10 is sex, I love the Aero interface, easier to access many things, looks much nicer, etc.

Bad things are: Windows Defender is shit, a few bugs here and there, some (but very few) game crashes, and it's a RAM hog.

But overall, I love it.
you can always disable the defender stuff everything has been great for me. Even drivers have been good.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2007-12-09 22:10:39)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6206|Winland

Well, if you've got a fairly powerful computer, then it should work ok. The things I hate the most with Vista are 1: All the security shit. It keeps whining and whining and whining and whining and whining... and 2: Windows Defender and the Live Messenger. Both fuck with my files like never before. Defender just slowing shit down and denying accesss to everything, and Live messenger will never let me open a transferred file, but I have to go through the download folder and open it if I don't want it to get deleted.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6400

Vista's good once it's crashed it way into stability.  During updates, I got 3 lock-ups and 2 random error crashes, but haven't had a problem since.

And turn off User Account Control.

Last edited by some_random_panda (2007-12-09 22:42:58)

ELITE-UK
Scratching my back
+170|6483|SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND
I have vista and i love it, all my games work on it...well the ones from early 05 onwards with some expetions and to be honest ive never had such a stable pc, its so reliable and never crashes.

Last edited by ELITE-UK (2007-12-09 23:25:33)

Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6694|Espoo, Finland
No crashes except of some caused by me or buggy software.
Find drivers automatically.
Aero Interface is great in both looks and userfriendly ness.
Can play all the games I have and use all the software I need (Diablo 2 and Red Alert 2 both worked great).

Only thing I've had problems with is the gadget site that doesn't grant me acces to the international version because my OS is in Finnish.
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6559|CH/BR - in UK

Vista is excellent, great fixes, the only problem I've had is driver compatibilities with my old laptop - but the XPS M1130 is working great for me
I LOVE it

-konfusion
Tsavo_Killjoy
+4|6452
I've just got myself a new 500gb HDD and decided to install Vist x84 Ultimate, leaving intact my old XP installation on my other HDD if I ever choose to go back. One thing I have to say about it is it fixed my problem loading Cerbere Landing and my "memory is insane" (or WTF ever it says) error message and bf2142. So PROPS! on that. I have 3gb of ram and I can honestly notice a difference between that and 2gb (2142 doesn't stutter anymore), so I have no problems running it with it's default interface.

One thing I'd like to ask (and I should probably post it instead of hijacking this thred), but what is everyone doing about antivirus software and vista? My beloved Zone Alarm Security Suite isn't compatible quite yet, but I'm just thinking about going without....thought?
golgoj4
+51|6783|North Hollywood
it doesnt suck as much as advertised. Granted my only experience is assisting older people with their new pc's. Vista. not as bad as advertised.
lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3

Tsavo_Killjoy wrote:

One thing I'd like to ask (and I should probably post it instead of hijacking this thred), but what is everyone doing about antivirus software and vista? My beloved Zone Alarm Security Suite isn't compatible quite yet, but I'm just thinking about going without....thought?
I'm just gonna go with the new norton. I heard they did a good job making it better from the version I have now that I don't have many problems with.
Hope_is_lost117
Psy squad
+49|6005|Belgium
ROAR bring it back to xp, the uac thing that asks you every minute if you are sure you want to proceed is so useless, and it also looks better.
Looks=better
functionality=not
illuminati34
+5|6660|michigan usa
vista  started off great.  after a month it told me i had a bad copy.  no one in microsoft  could tell me why. finally after about 5 months and 10 different service techs, supervisors,managers they gave up. i had to do a complete whipe and reinstall of everything. since that point ive had no problems.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard