Sup3r_Dr4gon
Boat sig is not there anymore
+214|6298|Australia
For a few weeks now, I've been having trouble with my G drive (a 320GB seagate SATAII drive). I'd boot the comp up, and everything is fine. But after a while everything will freeze, and when it unfreezes, drive G is gone. Completely gone. It won't show up under my computer, nor will it show up in computer management. It won't even show up in the bios. Restarting will sometimes help, but not always, and I'm stuck with one less drive.
I've checked the data cables, and they're fine. I've also checked the power cables, and felt the drive spin up, so it's not a power issue. I was also told to disable "write caching on the disk", but that didn't help.
So what i want to know is: why is my drive disappearing, and what can I do to fix it?
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6680|Charlie One Alpha

Sup3r_Dr4gon wrote:

For a few weeks now, I've been having trouble with my G drive (a 320GB seagate SATAII drive). I'd boot the comp up, and everything is fine. But after a while everything will freeze, and when it unfreezes, drive G is gone. Completely gone. It won't show up under my computer, nor will it show up in computer management. It won't even show up in the bios. Restarting will sometimes help, but not always, and I'm stuck with one less drive.
I've checked the data cables, and they're fine. I've also checked the power cables, and felt the drive spin up, so it's not a power issue. I was also told to disable "write caching on the disk", but that didn't help.
So what i want to know is: why is my drive disappearing, and what can I do to fix it?
Sounds like the drive is dying. Happens. I've had several harddisks die on me over the years. Just buy a new one.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
JaMrulezass
+47|6435|Hong Kong
Western Digital FTW ^_^ they never die.
CrazeD
+368|6643|Maine
Seagate has 5 year warranty. They'll replace it for you.
jaymz9350
+54|6548

JaMrulezass wrote:

Western Digital FTW ^_^ they never die.
thats funny i have 3 dead one's within 5 feet of me.
Airwolf
Latter Alcoholic
+287|6691|Scotland
Western Digital are a bit mediocre tbh...

Hitachi are bricks, but they are win. This one's lasted me a year and still going!

also... yeah I think your HDD is dying.
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6656|Espoo, Finland

Airwolf wrote:

Western Digital are a bit mediocre tbh...

Hitachi are bricks, but they are win. This one's lasted me a year and still going!

also... yeah I think your HDD is dying.
Wow, a whole year!
vpyroman
Aeon Supreme commander
+16|6587|UCF
I have 2 identical Maxtor's 200GB and they have not given me a single issue. They are almost 3 years old. I also have a 7 year old HDD that still works.
CrazeD
+368|6643|Maine
Seagate has only failed me once and that's because my power shut off 3 times whilest trying to boot XP. The last time did it in. Corrupted big time. Seagate fixed it for free though, sent me a new drive.
cian1500ww
+8|5970|Ireland
Yep sounds like its gone. Return it and get a new one if you can.
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6818|"Frisco"

Stick the drive in your freezer for a night, take it out, plug it back in, copy everything important off as quick as possible.

Yes, it really does work.
[TUF]Whiskey_Oktober
mmmm...Toasty!
+91|6693|Oregon
lies...

and i too have never had a WD drive fail in 7years.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard