Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6768|St. Andrews / Oslo

Making it legal is a terrible move.

The second you make it legal, there will not be a single person who buys CDs anymore, other than collectors.

Why? Because sites like msn.com, google.com, yahoo, the iTunes music store, everyone will have top quality Music Downloads for free. Burning them in high quality to CDs will be easier than ever. I bet 100 bucks your parents wuld download all their music if it was legal.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6483|Chicago, IL

Ty wrote:

I am happy to pirate music from popular artists who have more money than the know what to do with, (or don't because they've already spent it.) However I will ALWAYS buy music from artists who are unreckognised. Andy McKee for instance, I sent away or one of his CDs instead of taking the much easier, faster and cheaper option of just downloading his music.
my thoughts exactly, an artist who produces watered down music that gets him famous deserved to be pirated, but I would never pirate from an unknown band that makes music because they love it.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6772|Salt Lake City

Locoloki wrote:

you used to be able to listen to music over the radio and record it onto tape. Is this piracy? wtf is the difference as long as your not selling it for profit
Radio stations pay a huge licensing fee to be able to play public broadcasts of that music.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6481|The Land of Scott Walker
I think your uncle has it right konfusion.  Agree rock artists produce good albums on average, which is why albums made as far back as the 60s are still selling.  Pop and rap artists don't have enough uniqueness to set their stuff apart from each other.
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6676|Your moms bedroom

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Locoloki wrote:

you used to be able to listen to music over the radio and record it onto tape. Is this piracy? wtf is the difference as long as your not selling it for profit
Radio stations pay a huge licensing fee to be able to play public broadcasts of that music.
so its illegal to record a radiostation?
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6481|The Land of Scott Walker
I've always wondered that, too.  If it's not illegal to record a radiostation, what's the difference between that and DLing a bunch of popular songs?
Graphic-J
The Artist formerly known as GraphicArtist-J
+196|6162|So Cal

dayarath wrote:

Yesh now Usher needs to wait two weeks to get golden tires on his Limo instead of getting them tommorow.

It's degrading.
Poor Usher. Somebody create a "Donate to Usher with PayPal" button.
https://i44.tinypic.com/28vg66s.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6808|PNW

Acts of 'piracy' is consumers' answers to overpriced, poorly-packaged and fragile physical medium, and is poorly-named as well. If the record industry would dig through its past, they would release albums that came with all kinds of bonus goodies, booklets, posters and things that you just can't properly download. Props to businesses who are pushing legitimate online distribution.

I sympathize with the artists for money loss, but the record firms are at fault for distributing spartan materials for premium prices and losing popularity contests by suing the pants off of gradeschoolers and grannies. Why would anyone want to support them?

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-12-05 13:45:44)

konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6586|CH/BR - in UK

Actually, if you record from a radiostation, you have a radio edit, which is a cut up version of the song. Additionally, you have a huge loss in quality. Downloads, however, can be top quality.

-konfusion
samfink
+31|6592
Personally, I think Piracy should stay illegal, if anything the penalties should get worse. why? a relative of mine works in anti-piracy, and said relative told me that there is a fairly large amount of organised crime involved in pirating. luckily, he hasn't had to deal with any recently, but not long ago, he was nearly stabbed. it was only his quick thinking that stopped him from being stabbed. that is the kind of people who are involved in selling counterfeit music. still seem like an excellent idea?

as for the artists, yes, some do earn a lot, but do you think they started earning that much? very few get instant stardom. also, how do you think they earned so much? as people are prepared to buy their music. for heaven's sake, if you don't want to buy a  CD, you could always sue a store like Itunes ( as an example), where each track is less than a pound, and the money doesn't go towards criminals.

oh, and yes, it is CRIMINALS that pirate music. sure, copying a track or tow isn't ( I've copied music from CDs onto my computer using Itunes before) a big deal, but it is when people buy from pirates.  relative of mine could have been killed a few short weeks ago, and the criminal got his money from people buying pirated music from the bastard. how would you feel if that bastard was the person you bought pirated music from because you couldn't be bothered to spend a couple of pounds to buy an album legally. ( on Itunes, most tracks cots 79p/99cents bought separately, each album being around 5 quid last time I checked. not exactly much, and you can listen to 30 seconds of the track before you buy to see if it's a good one.) some people disgust me.
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6483|Boulder, CO
To be quite honest we're not talking about BUYING pirated music from others, we're talking about downloading it for your own use and perhaps giving away copies to friends. Paying people for pirated songs is just pointless and retarded.

A small artist is not someone who's work I'd pirate as they probably need the money but say a big artist like Metallica won't really notice if 1000 people don't buy their albums as they're rich enough as it is. As well as that if your really a fan of the artist you might pay money to see them live or buy merchandise with their logo's on them, and those things make more money than albums do.
IRONCHEF
+385|6527|Northern California
Actually, most record labels make the killing and artists get crap for money.  The artist has to negotiate very good terms AND THEN do platinum sales (or better) to make real money.

The money for artists is in touring.  So yes, stealing music is damaging to the labels (they're the ones cracking down, not the artists...well, except maybe lars ulrich) and therefore it's good.

Personally, I think they need to embrace the age we're in a little more and offer DRM based music or a completely different format for music sales...
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6808|PNW

IRONCHEF wrote:

DRM
Hugs & kisses to the industry when DRM prevents somebody from viewing/hearing their legitimately-bought media.
samfink
+31|6592
Ironchef, legal donwloads ( DRM based, in other words) is what i am suggesting it costs pennies to buy a track, a few quid to buy an album

Noobeater, rememebr it;s not the record company thta olsoes out firts............
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6483|Boulder, CO
meh, i make it a habit not to get bad quality music, well that and i use a mp3 enhancer anyway so it sounds great.
IRONCHEF

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

IRONCHEF wrote:

DRM
Hugs & kisses to the industry when DRM prevents somebody from viewing/hearing their legitimately-bought media.
There's plenty of ways around DRM..among which is just burning a CD.  And if you legally purchase DRM music, why wouldn't you be able to hear it?  When I rebuild computers for people they can disable their itunes and re-enable it on the new machine and apply it to their music (I think itunes even gives you 5 good moves before it shuts down for you. 

What I've done is utilized some "tools" to change music (long ago) from DRM to non-DRM mp3 tracks in batches.  Of course I only had to do that for tracks I didn't burn to CD and then re-rip to my computer free of their DRM.
Treecamel
Bam!
+6|6025|San Diego

james@alienware wrote:

On topic, what really annoys me is some rapper getting paid millions for very debatable 'talent'  - How  yelling incomprehensible words down a microphone constitutes as talent I will never understand.
I understand what you are saying here and this applies to a majority of that industry.  But, there are some who if you listen to the reason to their rhyme, you will understand that some rappers are the most profound writers of our time.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6483|Chicago, IL

Treecamel wrote:

james@alienware wrote:

On topic, what really annoys me is some rapper getting paid millions for very debatable 'talent'  - How  yelling incomprehensible words down a microphone constitutes as talent I will never understand.
I understand what you are saying here and this applies to a majority of that industry.  But, there are some who if you listen to the reason to their rhyme, you will understand that some rappers are the most profound writers of our time.
Writer:
https://www.moonbattery.com/archives/kurt_vonnegut.jpg

Not a writer:
https://www.winnipegfreepress2.com/blogs/reynolds/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/rapper.jpg

Note: his hat appears to be too small as well...
IRONCHEF

Treecamel wrote:

james@alienware wrote:

I haven't heard a profound word in rap since KRSone back in 1988 saying "Stop the Violence" or from "My Philosophy."  All others trying are just frontin' yo.

Last edited by IRONCHEF (2007-12-05 14:55:56)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6808|PNW

IRONCHEF wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

IRONCHEF wrote:

DRM
There's plenty of ways around DRM..among which is just burning a CD.  And if you legally purchase DRM music, why wouldn't you be able to hear it?  When I rebuild computers for people they can disable their itunes and re-enable it on the new machine and apply it to their music (I think itunes even gives you 5 good moves before it shuts down for you. 

What I've done is utilized some "tools" to change music (long ago) from DRM to non-DRM mp3 tracks in batches.  Of course I only had to do that for tracks I didn't burn to CD and then re-rip to my computer free of their DRM.
Assuming the end-user knows anything about computers.

Hardware conflicts.

IRONCHEF wrote:

True.  They gotta use "the google."
Why should they have to? If you bought media, you should be able to use it on any reader that supports said media type.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-12-05 14:58:14)

IRONCHEF
True.  They gotta use "the google."
Jibbles
Rifle Expert
+56|6666|Mexifornia, USA
The RIAA doesn't necessarily go after people who download, but mostly people who do mass uploading (or seeding). Their #1 tactic is to release music files of popular songs that are corrupted, in an attempt to flood the KaZaa and LimeWire (etc.) networks with bad files in order to frustrate the would-be pirates into giving up piracy and buying the music legally. There are just far too many people casually using these programs to prosecute, so they are trying this instead.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6475|King Of The Islands

Locoloki wrote:

so its illegal to record a radiostation?
RIAA was fighting the same thing years ago, with just as much hype. As you can see, the music industry really impacted from this mass-piracy.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Yellowman03
Once Again, We Meet at Last
+108|6271|Texas
people still buy cd's...how else can we download it if no one bought it and put it on thier computers?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6808|PNW

Just remember, the internet is not a big truck...

...it's a series of tubes.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard