kylef
Gone
+1,352|6463|N. Ireland
This article is currently outdated. Expect updates in the near future - thanks!

Note: many articles in this post are owned and distributed by Wikipedia. Wikipedia deserves all credit for some of the content in this post. Articles taken from en.wikipedia.org.

What is the Source Engine?

The Source Engine is a 3D game engine developed by Valve Corporation. Its unique features include a large degree of modularity and flexibility, an artist-driven, shader-based renderer, accurate lip sync and facial expression technology, and a powerful, efficient and completely network-enabled physics system.

Source supports both 32-bit and 64-bit environments and the Microsoft Windows, Xbox, Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3 platform (launched with The Orange Box). It debuted in October 2004 with Counter-Strike: Source.
What games use the Source Engine?

There are currently 15 games (excluding mods) that use the Source Engine.

SP = Singleplayer | MP = Multiplayer  -  Prices from the Valve Store as of 12 April 2008

GameReleaseDeveloperPriceMetascoreInformation
Counter-Strike: SourceOct 7 2004Valve$19.9588SP/MP - team-based tactical first-person shooter
Day of Defeat: SourceSep 26 2005Valve$9.9580MP - team-based WWII first-person shooter
Half-Life Deathmatch: SourceMay 1 2006Valve----MP - source version of the original Half-Life: Deathmatch
Half-Life: SourceNov 16 2004Valve$9.95--SP - source version of the original Half-Life
Half-Life 2: DeathmatchNov 30 2004Valve$9.95--MP - online play using Half-Life 2 weaponry
Half-Life 2Nov 16 2004Valve$19.9596SP - enter City 17 and fight the resistance
Half-Life 2: Episode OneJun 1 2006Valve$9.9587SP - escape City 17
Half-Life 2: Episode TwoOct 10 2007Valve$29.9590SP - reach White Forest before the resistance
Half-Life 2: Episode Three--Valve----SP - the final of the episodic trilogy
Half-Life 2: Lost CoastOct 27 2005Valve----SP - game developed to boast the source engine
Team Fortress 2Oct 10 2007Valve$29.9593MP - source recreation of Team Fortress Classic
PortalOct 10 2007Valve$19.9590SP - solve a series of puzzles using a specialized portal gun
Garry's ModNov 29 2006Team Garry$9.95--SP/MP - Manipulate objects and experiment with physics through the Source engine
The ShipJul 11 2006Outerlight$14.9576MP - Hunt down your enemy...while you're being hunted
The Ship Single PlayerNov 20 2006Outerlight$9.9576SP - A singleplayer version of The Ship (see above)

Honorable Mod Mentions

The below table features a list of mods that are considered honorable. This list is every growing! Think of a Source mod that deserves to be honorable? Give me a shout!

GameReleaseDeveloperReadyDownloadInformation
Insurgency Mod (Beta 2)Nov 22 2007InsurgencyYesHereA realistic, online combat experience
SMODSep 10 2006SMODYesHereAdds more weapons to the HL2 storyline
SMOD TacticalAug X 2006SMOD TacticalYesHereA more realistic version of SMOD (see above)
Fortress ForeverNov 15 2007Fortress ForeverYesHereA total Source conversion of Team Fortress Classic
DystopiaMar 17 2007DystopiaYesHereA 'cyberpunk game for the source engine'
Rock 24Nov 17 2006Rock 24 TeamYesHereSave a scientist, then escape prison

Last edited by kylef (2008-06-09 03:20:11)

chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6817|"Frisco"

Thanks!
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6702|St. Andrews / Oslo

Good job
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6405
Some mods worth mentioning:

Fortress Forever (conversion of TFC to source from scratch)
Dystopia (sci-fi multiplayer mod)
Goldeneye: Source (Attempt at a port from the N64 version to Source)
Half-Life 2: SMOD (not the home page but a very good site for the mod since it's Japanese. It adds a lot of stuff to HL2, too much to list)
Half-Life 2: SMOD Tactical (trying to make SMOD as realistic as possible)
Plan of Attack (used to be a good mod but I think it's pretty dead now and no one plays it)

I'm not sure what you justify as a mod though. Garry's Mod is technically a mod but uses the full source code from the engine. If they count I'd add "The Ship".
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6463|N. Ireland

Fat_Swinub wrote:

Some mods worth mentioning:

Fortress Forever (conversion of TFC to source from scratch)
Dystopia (sci-fi multiplayer mod)
Goldeneye: Source (Attempt at a port from the N64 version to Source)
Half-Life 2: SMOD (not the home page but a very good site for the mod since it's Japanese. It adds a lot of stuff to HL2, too much to list)
Half-Life 2: SMOD Tactical (trying to make SMOD as realistic as possible)
Plan of Attack (used to be a good mod but I think it's pretty dead now and no one plays it)

I'm not sure what you justify as a mod though. Garry's Mod is technically a mod but uses the full source code from the engine. If they count I'd add "The Ship".
Thanks, forgot about The Ship.. and I even have that on my account! Will add that in now. Will look at the mods soon.
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6597|UK
Might be handy to turn all the Game Titles into links to either the game's official website or its Wikipedia page.

Just a thought.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6463|N. Ireland
+ Link games to Wikipedia (many games led to the Valve Store)
+ Add 'The Ship' and 'The Ship Single Player'
+ Fix Counter-Strike: Source SP/MP (thanks OrangeHound!)
+ Tidy up slightly
+ Link 'Half-Life Deathmatch: Source' and 'Insurgency Mod (Beta 2)'
+ Link prices to Valve store
+ Add more Honorable Mention Mods

Okay, done most of it for now.. if anyone can find a release date of the latest SMOD: Tactical please give me a shout! Thanks for all the input so far.. (Zimmer, OrangeHound, liquidat0r and Fat_Swinub!)

Last edited by kylef (2007-11-28 13:12:19)

Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6634|NT, like Mick Dundee

Dis is gud tread k.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6438
You gotta but Fortres Forever in the notable mods!
Jenspm
penis

kylef wrote:

+ Fix Counter-Strike: Source SP/MP (thanks OrangeHound!)
Whaaa?

CS:S Single Player?
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6463|N. Ireland

Jenspm wrote:

Ever heard of these things called 'Bots' ?
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6256|Denmark aka Automotive Hell
Add Fortress Forever and The Hidden to mods..
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6463|N. Ireland
Okay, seems to be great enthusiasm over that mod.. will add it in later as per request!
FloppY_
­
Not that i have played fortress forever yet,, but it looks awesome
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6405
Vampire: The Masquerade and Postal 3?
FloppY_
­

Fat_Swinub wrote:

Vampire: The Masquerade and Postal 3?
WTF?? postal isn't source and wtf is masquerade ?
Jenspm
penis

kylef wrote:

Jenspm wrote:

Ever heard of these things called 'Bots' ?
meh....

would you say BF2 is SP?
stkhoplite
Banned
+564|6449|Sheffield-England
The Ship is a fun game to get into.

The single player campaign is a tad bit short though
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6463|N. Ireland

Jenspm wrote:

would you say BF2 is SP?
Certainly, there is just no 'campaign'. That's why there is 'Singleplayer' mode heh
FloppY_
­
Oooh,, you mean the source engine... sorry.. i mixed it up with Valve games
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6405
Empires 2 mod which came out the other day http://www.empiresmod.com/download_client_full.php
Brilliant mod and very ambitious for an engine which doesn't take too kindly to very big environments.
djphetal
Go Ducks.
+346|6305|Oregon

Fat_Swinub wrote:

Empires 2 mod which came out the other day http://www.empiresmod.com/download_client_full.php
Brilliant mod and very ambitious for an engine which doesn't take too kindly to very big environments.
qfe.
Oscar590
The Canadian
+3|6190|Richmond, BC, Canada
Nice thread man
Frogfan105
+18|5969|Your basement
Empires, Is more fun than BF2, it doesnt glitch up as much, and the custom Tanks are pretty cool.

Plus the commander actually gets to have some fun by planing out and building bases and choosing what sorts of amour and armaments that he wants for his tanks and such.

The squad system is pretty tight and keeps people working together, but you cant spawn on squad lead yet you can spawn in APCs.

Get an APC driver for your squad and your good to go.

Instead of being a mobile spawn the SL can call in things like a health and armour boost, free ammo, or even revive the whole squad.

This is one of the best mods hands down i have played and supports up to 48 players at once on pretty large maps, yet smaller games can still be fun

Last edited by Frogfan105 (2007-12-04 05:16:07)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard