Junior_Mud
+1|6704|Concord, CA
I know this it out of the blue,  but maybe some brits out there can help me out...

Where would england be if it was able to take and hold its old world nations (Scotland, ireland etc) and if it didn't lose the States in the revolutionary war, and didn't let australia become a big ass prison, and lose that island (madagascar I think) and lose Hong kong etc..  do you think we'd all be brittish/english by now?

any and all thoughts.
(not meant to be a flame)
2ndLt.Tucker
If you can read this, your already dead
+33|6719|Stillwater, Ok
Well you would be an amazingly strong and very rich country that i don't think anyone would want to fuck with.  But at the same token its impossible for that large an area to by governed effectively and have done what is best for that area.  But yeah had you managed to you would be an awesome power.
rustynutz
I am British!
+124|6720|England and damn proud
we would/are on TOP OF THE WORLD BABY!!!!
hurricane2oo5
Do One Ya Mug !!!
+176|6801|mansfield
england rulez man. mansfield massive !!!!
JaM3z
Banned
+311|6747
still cant beleve we gave away a huge empior we could have pwned everyone, but hey i would rather hide behind the US anyday, after all you have the only decent army in the world, well maybe not as decent as UK but you got more numbers, so you just pwn us all

mansfeild your not fare from me

Last edited by JaM3z (2006-02-06 17:45:54)

Smally85
+0|6763|Plymouth UK
Firstly this is totally unrealistic as Tucker said, its near impossible to rule over that sort of empire effectively and keep hold of it. The British Empire couldn't even hold on to Ireland and that was right next door, what hope did it have of keeping hold of the US?
However if you do ignore the difficulties of governing a state from the other side of the globe you would have an empire on which the sun really never would set. The US, Australia, India, half of Africa, and who knows maybe even the majority of Europe.
The problem you'd have in these times however would be that whilst England would be in control of these areas how do you define the control? There is always going to be opposition to any form of government and this opposition is usually unifed when the governement is from the outside of your homeland. Look at how India dealt with the Empire before it won its freedom, everyone, muslim, hindu or whatever other denomination was pretty united in their aim of getting rid of the colonials. This would simply be going on in every other state that the Empire consisted of, other than Scotland Wales etc. but they are to close to be a problem. Then you've got to worry about the other major powers that are present in todays world, China and to a certain extent Russia (the US doesn't count as its part of the "Empire") Both Russia and China would of course be very interested in destablizing the British Empire and getting some of the pie for themselves. It may end up being another Cold War, with three sides. You'd also have to take into account the size of their potential empires, as if the UK was able to keep an empire surely they would be capable too.
This also begs the question of the other major colonial powers of the colonial era, France, Spain, Germany, what happens to their empires? Before the colonies were almost all granted freedom the international politics surrounding these countries were very tense, hence the almost constant wars throughout the latter half of the 19th Century up to the end of the 2nd World War.

So England could be at war with countless other countries, but assuming that it still held all of its colonies it would still be the biggest power in the world and as such should still be able to deal with all the threats. It would be todays America, but with more land. This also means more to defend so maybe it would be even more vulnurable than the US is now. Of course whose to say that the Empire wouldn't have simply carried on rolling and taken everything it wanted. I just can't see people such as the Chinese submitting to British rule quite as easily as the African colonies did.

Nice subject... soooo large!!!
Orion5413
+4|6724|Irving Tx
you forgot canada and india...England would have the largest army and the most resourse. Along with cannon fodder from inda they would be able to challenge the chines in just troop numbers....
Smally85
+0|6763|Plymouth UK
See I always seem to think of Canada being French, they all speak French right? lol

Granted the Empire would be able to match China for numbers, and spank them technologically but those numbers would HAVE to be spread out accross the Empire stopping all the uprisings by those horrible little men with grass skirts and sharp kiwi fruit! :p
Greenie_Beazinie
Aussie Outlaw
+8|6850
English wear too much clothing
I2elik
+12|6789|Perth, Western Australia
Australia never broke off from England, we still have the Governor General etc. and we're also still in the Commonwealth, we just have a seperate government which you guys can't change, 100 years or so before and the Queen, King, wtfever, would have had all rights to what happened in Australia.
tehmoogles
Don't touch the pom-pom!
+7|6747
So, if it's so hard to govern, isn't that the reason that America is so badly governed?
Jepeto87
+38|6722|Dublin
It would just become another Ottoman Empire, except on a global scale! And who wants that?
fdcp_elmo
Rules over Sesamestreet
+5|6792|The Netherlands
bloah i would hate that. why does almost nobody speaks Dutch (only 24 million ppl) 
the world would be a lot easier to understand
ai024
+0|6717|sverdlovsk-45, russia
i'd more liked Native Americans never got conquered and get in power.... Aztec, Maya, etc.
another example of nice alternative universe is assumption that Germany + Japan wins WW2.

a little bit gloomy and post-apocalyptic though.
pokerplaya
want to go heads up?
+11|6771|cairns australia

Orion5413 wrote:

you forgot canada and india...England would have the largest army and the most resourse. Along with cannon fodder from inda they would be able to challenge the chines in just troop numbers....
dont think gurkhas would be fodder.u might as well include the rest of the world except russia as england pretty much laid claim to everything at one stage or another.what if the romans still ruled or greeks or mongols etc.
pokerplaya
want to go heads up?
+11|6771|cairns australia

I2elik wrote:

Australia never broke off from England, we still have the Governor General etc. and we're also still in the Commonwealth, we just have a seperate government which you guys can't change, 100 years or so before and the Queen, King, wtfever, would have had all rights to what happened in Australia.
the gg actually answers to the queen but is appointed  by the government.technically the queen could bring down our government by calling for a double dissolution.not that that is likely.i believe the constitution still allows this.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6753
then no one wants to say: england sucks. coz they know their gonna lose their balls
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
mbthegreat
+0|6691
well australia still recognises the queen so she probably can do that.
paranoid101
Ambitious but Rubbish
+540|6777
Still an Island near france
shaga_delik
+8|6703|Brighton, UK
All empires will eventually fall due to the desire of Man to be free.  To live there own lives with their own cultural identitiy.  Christ now I sound like a hippy!!

The Ottoman, Roman, British, French (Yes they had one!), Dutch empires only lasted as long as they did through military force.
fdcp_elmo
Rules over Sesamestreet
+5|6792|The Netherlands
if the Japanese didnĀ“t conquer the colonies in asia maybe Europe would still hold them. (at least the Vietnam war never began)
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6803|UK
You cant control an empire that large, as many have already said. I would like to point out we didnt lose our empire, we granted most countries freedom, this was becuase after WW2 we realised it wasnt realistic to keep control of all of that land and there was alot more rights for ppl who were previously considered less ppl.
shaga_delik
+8|6703|Brighton, UK
Yeah a lot of countries were given independance after WW2.  I would imagine there might have been a bit of deal making going on.  A lot of allied soldiers came from the former colonies, like Canada, Aus, NZ and India.  No offence if I missed anyone out.... 

You help us fight the Germans, we give you your country back!  Anyone know if this was the case?
Skinnister
+43|6762|UK

Greenie_Beazinie wrote:

English wear too much clothing
BECAUSE ITS COLD 80% OF THE TIME, IT WOULD HELP IF YOU THINK FIRST THEN TALK
shaga_delik
+8|6703|Brighton, UK
Only 80 percent of the time?  You must live down South in the tropical part then? :-)  Us Northerners still think the sun is some kind of mythical sky God......

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard