usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6758

"In 1995 Bosnian Serb forces massacred 8,000 Muslim men and boys from Srebrenica, a town declared a safe area and guarded by a Dutch army unit serving as part of a larger U.N. force."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071127/wl_ … a_court_dc
David.P
Banned
+649|6270
So does that mean we can now sue for all the deaths from USS cole?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6758

David.P wrote:

So does that mean we can now sue for all the deaths from USS cole?
I do not get this ruling.  Those deaths were going to happen because everyone sat back and did nothing just like WWII.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6837|Cologne, Germany

I never really understood what happened there. Up to now, I was under the impression that durch UN forces were insufficiently armed to hold their own against the bosnian serb forces, and therefore did not intervene. I'll have to read up on the issue, obviously.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6758

B.Schuss wrote:

I never really understood what happened there. Up to now, I was under the impression that durch UN forces were insufficiently armed to hold their own against the bosnian serb forces, and therefore did not intervene. I'll have to read up on the issue, obviously.
"Endgame"

http://www.haverford.edu/relg/sells/sre … enica.html

If you read books this is a good one about this subject.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6597|132 and Bush

Dutch court rules Srebrenica families can sue U.N. can sue U.S./Japan. Might as well call a spade a spade. Although we are behind.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
B.Schuss

well, I have been reading up on some stuff, and it seems the dutch troops on the ground are the last to be blamed. They were vastly outnumbered ( 450 dutch against 8,000 - 12,000 bosnian serbs ) and not sufficiently equipped ( the serbs had tanks and artillery ) to be able to actually defend the "safe zone". They called for NATO close air support but were denied by General Janvier, who seemed to have cut a deal with Mladic.

Personally, I'd put the major blame on UN military and intelligence commanders, who failed to reckognize the real danger that serb forces posed and who did not put their own troops in a position in which they'd be able to actually do anything about the serb attack. I mean, how can you expect to defend a city of 40,000 people with 450 lightly armed infantry ? That's simply not going to work.
Moreover, it seems the UN took away the little heavy equipment ( tanks and artillery ) from muslim defenders, thereby giving the advancing serb forces a crucial advantage.

Not one of the UN's finest hours, I must say.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6758

B.Schuss wrote:

well, I have been reading up on some stuff, and it seems the dutch troops on the ground are the last to be blamed. They were vastly outnumbered ( 450 dutch against 8,000 - 12,000 bosnian serbs ) and not sufficiently equipped ( the serbs had tanks and artillery ) to be able to actually defend the "safe zone". They called for NATO close air support but were denied by General Janvier, who seemed to have cut a deal with Mladic.

Personally, I'd put the major blame on UN military and intelligence commanders, who failed to reckognize the real danger that serb forces posed and who did not put their own troops in a position in which they'd be able to actually do anything about the serb attack. I mean, how can you expect to defend a city of 40,000 people with 450 lightly armed infantry ? That's simply not going to work.
Moreover, it seems the UN took away the little heavy equipment ( tanks and artillery ) from muslim defenders, thereby giving the advancing serb forces a crucial advantage.

I hate the UN with a fucking passion having been under their "command" a few times.  I am not sure how many finest hours they have.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6320|New Haven, CT
Easy defense for the Dutch in the case, then.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6753|Argentina

B.Schuss wrote:

well, I have been reading up on some stuff, and it seems the dutch troops on the ground are the last to be blamed. They were vastly outnumbered ( 450 dutch against 8,000 - 12,000 bosnian serbs )
They made a movie called 450, which is 50% better than 300.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6712
They declared it a safe haven... At least put some decent troops there.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
delta4bravo*nl*
Dutch Delight
+68|6748
UN is all dirty politics....
Same shit happened in Africa to, people where slaughtered just outside the UN compound.. why? the troops where not in danger and their mandate did not allow them to intervene.
The UN failed to make a stand many many times..
[pt] KEIOS
srs bsns
+231|6649|pimelteror.de
What I do not understand is, why the dutch troops didn´t force NATO and UN to intervene themselves. I believe, it would only have needed a stronger position in negotiations, like:"No, you Serb Bastards, you won´t enter the city, because even with 450 men, we will defend it!" and the Serbs would have listenend. Do you really believe, they would have attacked UN forces, targeting to wipe them out and NATO+UN would just  have watched it happen? They could have just create facts and risk a bluff. And if the Serbs would have attacked, they would have get support. Sure the Officers in charge would have lost their ranks and had to face Court-Martial - but how can you live your life, when your cowardness has cost 8000 innocent lives, countless raped women and the fact, that you could have saved them, by showing a little bit more bravery?
TheMajorBummer
Have a nice day!
+-4|6821|Netherlands
U have forgotten how many lifes spilled in politics around the weapons and the $ involved..at that time
go clean ur own act before commenting on our small  country.

bullying is ur flaw and shows what a big moneymaking industry war is cus thats all u do....

make war for $,  and not to help it going on trough weapons deals with some nasty countries..

and for all u langual-spellchecker goonz...mind ur own bloody buisness.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6732|Salt Lake City

See now, who says Muslims aren't taking a liking to the Western way of doing things.  Looks like a sue happy situation to me.
Bernadictus
+1,055|6733

With all due respect to the Srebrenica families. But they have stepped over the line now. If we had not been there at all, they would have all been slain by the Serbs. They are only after the money i.m.h.o.

Former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic and former Bosnian Serb Army chief Ratko Mladic, both wanted by the U.N. war crimes tribunal in The Hague on genocide charges over Srebrenica, are still on the run.

Dismayed by the failure to bring to justice the two chief suspects, victims' families say they have turned to a Dutch court for recognition and redress for the tragedy.
What? Go look for them yourselves instead of burdening our country with your problems, or sue the Serbian government for all I care.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6758

Bernadictus wrote:

With all due respect to the Srebrenica families. But they have stepped over the line now. If we had not been there at all, they would have all been slain by the Serbs. They are only after the money i.m.h.o.
I agree with that 100%.  Cyborg and Agent I agree with you guys also.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6758

TheMajorBummer wrote:

U have forgotten how many lifes spilled in politics around the weapons and the $ involved..at that time

bullying is ur flaw and shows what a big moneymaking industry war is cus thats all u do....

make war for $,  and not to help it going on trough weapons deals with some nasty countries..

What are you talking about?
Dragonclaw
+186|6301|Florida

TheMajorBummer wrote:

There is a spellcheck button on the site. Its a simple one click process. You have no excuse for your shitbrained post that people cant understand.

Last edited by Dragonclaw (2007-11-28 10:45:55)

Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6617|London, England
Shouldn't have been declared a safe zone, and it's not the Dutch's fault. If they had thousands of men, heavy weapons and shit and then didn't do anything, then you would have a very good case against the Dutch. It's whoever was a big enough idiot to think that it was a safe zone + whoever was responsibly for only deploying 450 lightly armed troops.

Of course, let's not forget that the real bad guys were the guys who did the massacre in the first place...
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6661|NT, like Mick Dundee

TheMajorBummer wrote:

Lmfao. Dude how can you have -5 karma now? After so long... I thought Bearz was the only one still in neg. karma.

Oh wait, I know, it's because your post shows zero understanding of the thread, and your grasp of English is rather bad. Pity this forum is an English one, and not a Dutch one.

Next, what are you on about with the whole 'big moneymaking industry' statement, surely you aren't refering to the military-industrial complex of hte USA... We are discussing the UN here and it's failure to act sufficiently to protect citizens of a country it had deployed peacekeepers to. We are not commenting on the Dutch soldiers. Or the USA.

As for your statement of bullying, that's what a fucking hyperpower does. The USA has power, it will hold on to it as much as possible, just as the Dutch would in the same position.

Lastly, the correct term for a langual-spellcheker goon is Grammar Nazi; I am a Grammar Nazi, and I'm telling you to use the spell check feature Chuy has included in the site. That, or you can pm me details of your paypal and I'll supply enough money for a textbook detailing Egnlish grammar along with an Oxford Concise English Dictionary to get you on your way to writing and conversing our language in a fluent manner.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6686|Tampa Bay Florida

sergeriver wrote:

B.Schuss wrote:

well, I have been reading up on some stuff, and it seems the dutch troops on the ground are the last to be blamed. They were vastly outnumbered ( 450 dutch against 8,000 - 12,000 bosnian serbs )
lol

I got it.
B.Schuss

usmarine2005 wrote:

B.Schuss wrote:

I hate the UN with a fucking passion having been under their "command" a few times.  I am not sure how many finest hours they have.
well, they have come a long way. I am not saying they're at 100%, but I am pretty sure something like that would not repeat itself today.

And you surely can't say that everything the UN has done was a failure. Remember, the UN is only as strong as their member states make them.
B.Schuss

sergeriver wrote:

B.Schuss wrote:

you are teh funniezt boi evah....
TheMajorBummer
Have a nice day!
+-4|6821|Netherlands
should i feel depressed now?  12 pixels...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard