Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6197|Winland

The Death Thread from temp. It mustn't die Here's my initial OP:

Death, is it just your body dying, destructing, getting incapable of maintaining neccesary functions? Or is it something beyond that? Is there a soul? Then what is the soul? Is there a Nirvana, or...?

What are your thoughts of death? What do ou think will happen when you die?

I'm not really sure about what to think, and I'm sure lots of other people aren't sure either. Death is simply something our brains are incapable of imagining. We mammals are simply incapable of that. That's the cause of many bad things, and in a large bit of religion is based around death.

I've been a fan of reincarnation for many years, but lately I've started thinking that there maybe is a Nirvana of some kind. My imagination of Nirvana would be a place that you get to "configure" when you get there; basically whatever you have wished life to be like, it'd be like. Not 72 virgins or angels playing harp in the clouds, but every man (Or woman) has his own little heaven.

So, you?

Keep on arguing.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
SamTheMan :D
Banned
+106|5999|UK
Just like being asleep but you don't wake up.
UK|Hooligan
Seriously, fuck off.
+103|6688|"The Empire"
It happens to us all, why not look forward to it!!!
I'm Jamesey
Do a Research Noob
+506|6132|Scotland!
Repost from temp forums:
I've thought about this long and hard over the years, and applied all my skills in reasoning, and I believe that when I die, I'll float up to heaven and I'll see all my family and we'll all be happy and we'll smile, and we'll laugh while the little baby angels play harp music for us and stuff, I can't wait to go, it'll be brill and awesome.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6445|The Land of Scott Walker
Can we merge the threads somehow?  Just curious.
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6685|Espoo, Finland
I think you should make up something that would make death seem rather pleasant after living a good life.
Personally I wouldn't like to spend my afterlife sitting on a cloud in heaven. I'd rather see my family and friends and do what ever my mind desires.

Now that I read the OP completely, I can conviniently quote my view directly from there:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

My imagination of Nirvana would be a place that you get to "configure" when you get there; basically whatever you have wished life to be like, it'd be like. Not 72 virgins or angels playing harp in the clouds, but every man (Or woman) has his own little heaven.
That's exactly how I view afterlife.

Last edited by Gawwad (2007-11-24 09:46:13)

Sarrk
O-O-O A-O A
+788|6656|Brisbane, Australia

I'd just want Heaven to have an internet connection to earth.
Lai
+186|6151

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Death, is it just your body dying, destructing, getting incapable of maintaining neccesary functions? Or is it something beyond that? Is there a soul? Then what is the soul? Is there a Nirvana, or...?

I'm not really sure about what to think, and I'm sure lots of other people aren't sure either. Death is simply something our brains are incapable of imagining. We mammals are simply incapable of that. That's the cause of many bad things, and in a large bit of religion is based around death.

I've been a fan of reincarnation for many years, but lately I've started thinking that there maybe is a Nirvana of some kind. My imagination of Nirvana would be a place that you get to "configure" when you get there; basically whatever you have wished life to be like, it'd be like. Not 72 virgins or angels playing harp in the clouds, but every man (Or woman) has his own little heaven.

So, you?

Keep on arguing.
1. I don't think there is anything after death; there wasn't anything before you were born now was there?
2. If there is, it'll probably be beyond our mortal comprehension. Our concepts of life, death, existence and consiouness would probably be valid there. In fact "there" would probably not be valid as it implies a mortal definition of place.
3. I sure hope that you're wrong because if everyone would have his or her own personal heaven, it would be pretty damn lonely.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6197|Winland

Lai wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

So, you?

Keep on arguing.
3. I sure hope that you're wrong because if everyone would have his or her own personal heaven, it would be pretty damn lonely.
Yes, I forgot to put that in. You'd be able to get characters there too. Like, clones. Kinda hard to explain, but you get the point.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Balok77
+28|6148
I have lived through my life with the view that fate is in contol of our destiny. When your time is up your time is up.

As for the afterlife, nobody knows what is going to happen when you die until it happnes.
TuataraDude
+115|6523|Aotearoa

Sarrk wrote:

Just don't use the internet providers from NZ. The lag and ping would be terrible. Actually, now I think of it a little more, our Telcos will probably provide the connection for those in hell, lol.

As for the question. Hard to say. There may be an afterlife. There may be either a heaven/hell (can't have one without the other I'm afraid) or there may be a reckoning of what you did throughout your life and then a chance to redo things to hopefully do a better job (reincarnation). Although how you can improve if you don't get to remember where you messed up last time is a bit of a downer. Imagine being told you did a worse job the second (or third, or forth, or sixteenth) time round. It might also be that as sentient mammals, we need something to keep us going. Religion is what kept the masses subdued and generally well behaved for several thousand years. It also has caused a lot of grief in the world, and if there is an afterlife, and a God, I suspect He will be very sad about how humans have interpreted, or misrepresented, His expectations for their own gains.
Lai
+186|6151

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Lai wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

So, you?

Keep on arguing.
Yes, I forgot to put that in. You'd be able to get characters there too. Like, clones. Kinda hard to explain, but you get the point.
Lol, I got that, but my point is, if it's your individual heaven, even with these spawns one would ultimately feel lonely. As long as there is no interaction between the different entities (e.g. you with your heaven and I with mine*), they're just your spawns and nothing more. It may be a ridicilously flat and earthly metaphore, but you'll get the idea. Would you have these personal heavens linked by a "grand Nirvana" or something in that style? There is interaction between different entities in life so, assuming that there is anything beyond at all, would there not be any interaction between these entities in death?

*= This is just an example, don't take it personal. Don't take this personal either: even in when bored to/in death there are other people with whom I would prefer having celestial interaction with
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Death, it is just your body dying, destructing, getting incapable of maintaining necessary functions.
Fixed.
Fen321
+54|6498|Singularity
Folks i got some good/bad news...this is the afterlife.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6445|The Land of Scott Walker
We still have death in the afterlife?  Weird.
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6343|California

Lai wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Lai wrote:

Lol, I got that, but my point is, if it's your individual heaven, even with these spawns one would ultimately feel lonely. As long as there is no interaction between the different entities (e.g. you with your heaven and I with mine*), they're just your spawns and nothing more. It may be a ridicilously flat and earthly metaphore, but you'll get the idea. Would you have these personal heavens linked by a "grand Nirvana" or something in that style? There is interaction between different entities in life so, assuming that there is anything beyond at all, would there not be any interaction between these entities in death?

*= This is just an example, don't take it personal. Don't take this personal either: even in when bored to/in death there are other people with whom I would prefer having celestial interaction with
By "your little heaven" he means something that you own, something to make yours, but not necessarily secluded from others. Think about it like a house or apartment, you make it your home, but there are still other houses around you or apartments in the building.

EDIT: On a side note, I think reincarnation is possible...just look at Gibs!

Last edited by xBlackPantherx (2007-11-24 23:26:55)

Lai
+186|6151

xBlackPantherx wrote:

By "your little heaven" he means something that you own, something to make yours, but not necessarily secluded from others. Think about it like a house or apartment, you make it your home, but there are still other houses around you or apartments in the building.

Hmmm,.. but the necessity of the presence of clones/spawns does imply that others are secluded.
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6343|California

Lai wrote:

xBlackPantherx wrote:

Hmmm,.. but the necessity of the presence of clones/spawns does imply that others are secluded.
True. It does imply it, but it doesn't necessarily define it. I could use a couple clones at my house to do more work, but it doesn't mean that I'd then loose all contact with others.
Point&Shoot
Tank Whore
+52|6547|Canada

SamTheMan wrote:

It's probably along the lines of a dream, or at least from our current perspective.

I don't know if the idea of 'personal' heaven's sounds appealing.

When you die, there is no certainty.  Which will mean no worries, as the only certainties are death and taxes.  It is something to look forward to, but you don't know what it will be until you get there.
Schwarzelungen
drunklenglungen
+133|6296|Bloomington Indiana
death doesnt seem too bad. not saying im suicidal or anything, but its inevitable....why be afraid of it.
live a good life...have fun...and so on.

i think that when we die there is some sort of after life....whether it be some activity in the brain giving us a sorta dream like state, or an actual after life....we'll see
Lai
+186|6151

Point&Shoot wrote:

SamTheMan wrote:

It's probably along the lines of a dream, or at least from our current perspective.

I don't know if the idea of 'personal' heaven's sounds appealing.

When you die, there is no certainty.  Which will mean no worries, as the only certainties are death and taxes.
No worries, even if there is nothing like heaven, you won't even have thoughts. Must be the ultimate form of rest, so even if "gone means gone" it still has something pleasant to it. An orthodox friend once pointed out that it wouldn't be because you would no longer be able to grasp the concept of rest and relaxation,.. but that's the whole point.

Point&Shoot wrote:

It is something to look forward to, but you don't know what it will be until you get there.
Like presents from Santa Claus on Christmas eve
Janis_Petke
\m/(><)\m/
+49|6693|Brunei Darussalam

Sarrk wrote:

And good one. 8/1 at least. 24/sumthin preferred.
I_SUCK_999
2 old & slow to pwnd U
+5|6448|Alice Springs

TuataraDude wrote:

Sarrk wrote:

Just don't use the internet providers from NZ. The lag and ping would be terrible. Actually, now I think of it a little more, our Telcos will probably provide the connection for those in hell, lol.

As for the question. Hard to say. There may be an afterlife. There may be either a heaven/hell (can't have one without the other I'm afraid) or there may be a reckoning of what you did throughout your life and then a chance to redo things to hopefully do a better job (reincarnation). Although how you can improve if you don't get to remember where you messed up last time is a bit of a downer. Imagine being told you did a worse job the second (or third, or forth, or sixteenth) time round. It might also be that as sentient mammals, we need something to keep us going. Religion is what kept the masses subdued and generally well behaved for several thousand years. It also has caused a lot of grief in the world, and if there is an afterlife, and a God, I suspect He will be very sad about how humans have interpreted, or misrepresented, His expectations for their own gains.
Well there is a Heaven and there is a Hell - unfortunately only the ones that God says so can go to Heaven - U choose where U wanna go and God decides.

confused ?

U decide where U go by what U do with His Son Jesus Christ - remember the dude 2000 odd years ago that got crucified by the Romans - cause He claimed to be God. Well He didn't stay dead (according to more than 500 eye witnesses).

Basically death is when your body dies and the afterlife is what happens to your soul which is immortal and cannot die.

flame away. LOL
Lai
+186|6151

I_SUCK_999 wrote:

TuataraDude wrote:

Sarrk wrote:

Well there is a Heaven and there is a Hell - unfortunately only the ones that God says so can go to Heaven - U choose where U wanna go and God decides.

confused ?

U decide where U go by what U do with His Son Jesus Christ - remember the dude 2000 odd years ago that got crucified by the Romans - cause He claimed to be God. Well He didn't stay dead (according to more than 500 eye witnesses).

Basically death is when your body dies and the afterlife is what happens to your soul which is immortal and cannot die.

flame away. LOL
U_SUCK_666       

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard