sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6759|Argentina
Reports from Pakistan say the country's president, Pervez Musharraf, is considering imposing emergency rule.  Pakistani Information Minister Tariq Azeem said the issue was being discussed, given external and internal threats to the country.

It's a matter of time for Musharraf.  He will fall, and then what?  What will happen to Pakistan?  Who will take control?  Will the Taliban take control?  What should the West do?  Is Pakistan the biggest threat involving nukes?

Last edited by sergeriver (2007-08-09 04:38:09)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6557
India will probably wipe them off the face of the earth, don't worry.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6759|Argentina

CameronPoe wrote:

India will probably wipe them off the face of the earth, don't worry.
Thanks, that sounds delightful.
Ssandstorm
+73|6736|Perth, Western Australia
Musharraf will get a hip replacement. He can easily afford it.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6843|Cologne, Germany

well, if the Taliban ( or any other muslim extremists ) gain control of Pakistan's nuclear arsenal, Iraq, Iran and North Korea will look like Kindergarden.

And - as Cam pointed out -  it is likely that the Pakistani-India Conflict will intensify again, since the Musharraf government is much more aimed towards a peace agreement with India, than any possible successor would be.

If Musharraf loses control, the US will most likely have to intervene militarily. Because if Pakistan is lost as an ally, the Taliban and al'quaeda are practically free to do whatever they please in the Afghan-Pakistani border region, with no one hindering the flow of weapons and men across the border. I am not saying Musharraf is that much of a help right now either, but at least he has his arsenal under control.
san4
The Mas
+311|6690|NYC, a place to live
The more radical elements of the Pakistani army will take control. They will be much less friendly with the US and more aggressive against India. Either they will support stronger influence of Islam in the government or they will massacre the huge numbers of people who will demand it.
FoReVeRTS!
+0|6125|Paris,FRA/Ottawa,CAN
It's difficult to say, given the volatility of Middle Eastern politics in this day and age. But, I would say that the US would not intervene, for fear of angering anybody (at least i should hope they have the common sense to do so) and someone else, maybe less authoritarian, will replace Musharraf. However, al-Qaeda might get involved and insert one of their own, which would mean a nukefest for them.
India, for its part, won't try to overtly influence the race, but will press about the Kashmir.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

Perhaps he won't fall anytime soon. I wouldn't rule out a coalition government between Benazir Bhutto and Musharraf. That could easily leave the way clear for proper democracy in Pakistan.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6550|San Diego, CA, USA

Ssandstorm wrote:

LOL, +1.

With all seriousness, Musharraf should impose martial law and wipe out the Extremist Muslims.  Also he should allow us to send in our Special Forces and do air strikes in Northwestern Pakistan territory.

When he lets us do that all hell is going to break loose as the 25% Extremist Muslims in his country of 110 million go ape shit.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6843|Cologne, Germany

Harmor wrote:

Ssandstorm wrote:

LOL, +1.

With all seriousness, Musharraf should impose martial law and wipe out the Extremist Muslims.  Also he should allow us to send in our Special Forces and do air strikes in Northwestern Pakistan territory.

When he lets us do that all hell is going to break loose as the 25% Extremist Muslims in his country of 110 million go ape shit.
well, maybe he doesn't want to look like a US puppet in front of his 110 million people. And btw, if I remember correctly, US air strikes against "islamic terrorists" in Pakistan have already killed a number of pakistani civilians, which was not received well among the population..
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6407|North Carolina

Bertster7 wrote:

Perhaps he won't fall anytime soon. I wouldn't rule out a coalition government between Benazir Bhutto and Musharraf. That could easily leave the way clear for proper democracy in Pakistan.
One can only hope...
nlsme
+48|6417|new york
Maybe this is why Obama spoke up? I have talked to some Paki-Americans. They WANT the U.S. to "intervene", seeings they can't or WON'T do anything about the Taliban operating in THEIR country. Obama was on to something.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard