oChaos.Haze
+90|6455
Hey, I'm thinking about getting a gun for some home protection.  Some shady things have gone down around here lately, and I realize you only understand the importance of having a gun when you get into a situation where you need one and don't have it.  Not to mention I keep many valuable things around the house that anyone watching for a second could see me load in and out all the time.  (Professional Musician)

I firmly believe that for pure home protection, nothing is going to work as well as a pump action shotty.  I personally would turn and run the other way the second I heard that infamous sound. 

Do you think handguns might be better?  If so what kinds?  What kind of shotgun would you suggest to a person who knows nothing about guns?  haha.

I need ease of use and understanding the weapon.  I'd like to spend no more than 500 for whatever I get.  Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by oChaos.Haze (2007-08-09 01:13:53)

~FuzZz~
.yag era uoy fi siht deaR
+422|6340|Orrstrayleea
I think you would absolutly destroy who-ever breaks into you house if you had a Pump-shotty, Pistol is what you want
oChaos.Haze
+90|6455
I live in Florida, haha.  It's completely allowed to take someone's life if they are on your property and threaten your safety in any way.  They passed the law when I moved here, coincidently enough...
trackstarr
+18|6719|Swing and a miss
M1 Garand
haha Shotguns would work great for protection

But a pistol by your bedside is good for getting them quick

Last edited by trackstarr (2007-08-09 01:26:54)

Volatile
+252|6722|Sextupling in Empire

Pea....Tear.....Griffen wrote:

I think you would absolutly destroy who-ever breaks into you house if you had a Pump-shotty, Pistol is what you want
Negative. If you only need it for home defense then a shotgun is what you want. If you want something you can carry with ease inside and out of the house then I would go with a snubnose .357/.38 special as it fits nicely in your pocket.

Oh, and if you want to carry it concealed outside of your property, you should look into a CCW permit.

Last edited by Volatile_Squirrel (2007-08-09 01:26:08)

Reciprocity
+721|6598|the dank(super) side of Oregon
remington or mossberg, either one.~18" barrel, short pull stock. >6 shot capacity.  2 1/2" or 3" 00buck, mounted flashlight with firing position on/off control.  and most importantly, training and experience.
Po0PO0
+8|6521
God bless America! unlike stuipid australia where its hard to get ahold of guns.
oChaos.Haze
+90|6455

Reciprocity wrote:

remington or mossberg, either one.~18" barrel, short pull stock. >6 shot capacity.  2 1/2" or 3" 00buck, mounted flashlight with firing position on/off control.  and most importantly, training and experience.
Thanks.  Yeah I definitely need to get learned on the ins and outs of it.  Would suck royally to have a shotgun and not be able to use it when the moment arrived, lol.
oChaos.Haze
+90|6455

Po0PO0 wrote:

God bless America! unlike stuipid australia where its hard to get ahold of guns.
Yeah I'm really not a gun buff.  I just think it would be comforting and peace of mindish, to know that I can handle something, you know?
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6738|Sydney, Australia
I can't offer any sort of advice, as guns are... illegal here. However, what instruments do you have?
trackstarr
oChaos.Haze
+90|6455

mcminty wrote:

I can't offer any sort of advice, as guns are... illegal here. However, what instruments do you have?
3 PA's.  A Gibson Les Paul (1990's doublecut standard).  A 1969 Fender Concert acoustic, A Martin d 28, Martin d1c, Fender Jazz Bass w/ Geddy Lee neck, haha.  A studio with monitors and plenty of rack toys.  WAAAY too many pedals.  A couple random handdrums, such as djembe and darbouka.  A drumset (Tama Starclassic Maple)

Basically though I am a solo act that travels around and plays wherever I can.  I make good money doing it and I love what I do.  I just get home every night at like 4 or 5 in the morning and have to load out gear into my house.  I live at the beach and there are LOTS of beach bums who just do nothing but watch people to see what they have in their house.  I basically want my lady and myself to feel safe, you know?  Ease of mind is a beautiful thing.

Last edited by oChaos.Haze (2007-08-09 01:40:08)

mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6738|Sydney, Australia

oChaos.Haze wrote:

mcminty wrote:

3 PA's.  A Gibson Les Paul (1990's doublecut standard).  A Martin d 28, Martin d1c, Fender Jazz Bass w/ Geddy Lee neck, haha.  A studio with monitors and plenty of rack toys.  A couple rando handdrums, djembe and darbouka. 

Basically though I am a solo act that travels around and plays wherever I can.  I make good money doing it and I love what I do.  I just get home every night at like 4 or 5 in the morning and have to load out gear into my house.  I live at the beach and there are LOTS of beach bums who just do nothing but watch people to see what they have in their house.
I don't really know about guitars (I play the clarinet, but not professionally or anything), but that is quite impressive. As your lively-hood depends on that gear, and considering the times that you are outside packing your car, i can see why you'd want a gun.
Reciprocity
+721|6598|the dank(super) side of Oregon
one of the main reason pump shotguns are preferred in home defense, law enforcement, and military, is because the simple design insures reliability.  the '01 Remington, while looking cool, is not as reliable as a rack operated shotgun.
NaferiouS
+7|6136|melb australia

mcminty wrote:

not intirely, you just gotta jump thru 6oo hoops and have a degree in beurocracy bullshit to get ur licence
trackstarr

Reciprocity wrote:

one of the main reason pump shotguns are preferred in home defense, law enforcement, and military, is because the simple design insures reliability.  the '01 Remington, while looking cool, is not as reliable as a rack operated shotgun.
Hahaha come on
how bad  ass would that be if you shot the guy and did the classic "flip cock" like Arnold does from terminator 2

Last edited by trackstarr (2007-08-09 01:46:23)

PHILIPS
Ur mom in a tub
+2|6162|Ireland
Glock 19 or if u need something with a little more stopping power, buy a S&W 45.
Magpie
international welder....Douchebag Dude, <3 ur mom
+257|6544|Milkystania, yurop
Get a good security system CCTV and the lot of it. That may prevent some ppl from trying to break in.

Cause you want your gun to be your last resort or do you just want to kill somebody?
oChaos.Haze
+90|6455

Magpie wrote:

Get a good security system CCTV and the lot of it. That may prevent some ppl from trying to break in.

Cause you want your gun to be your last resort or do you just want to kill somebody?
No you are probably right.  I just don't want to get into a situation where I need a gun, and don't have one. 
Those are all preventative and that's great.  But they don't do anything in that 5 minutes between the time that someone breaks in and the cops arrive from the alarm.  I mean I could try to talk them to death, but I doubt it's gonna work. 

At the very least I could buy one of those fake Camera's, haha.

Last edited by oChaos.Haze (2007-08-09 01:55:21)

zeidmaan
+234|6432|Vienna

Fake camera plus a strong light thats activated by movement will scare almost everyone away (and its very cheap).

I dont know anything about guns but I recommend you get something "less lethal". Small caliber handgun for example. You dont need tremendous firepower, you wont get attacked by terrorists.
Also you are probably not a uber leet heartless mother fucker who would laugh out loud upon killing some 16 year old kid looking to steal some cash (IT CAN HAPPEN). Ignore people that tell you that you are like that and think how you would feel if you killed someone. Just because you can does not mean you should. It can psychologically scar you for life, and think of your lady too.
Sarrk
O-O-O A-O A
+788|6673|Brisbane, Australia

If its just break ins, get a Katana, it doesnt even need to be battle ready, I know I'd be so fucking scared if some guy pulled a katana on me.
T.Pike
99 Problems . . .
+187|6300|Pennsyltucky

If you get a hand gun - go for a revolver.  It's cheaper and no safties etc, you pull the trigger it goes bang.

If you get a shotgun go for a Pump action model.

If anyone so much as hears that chu-chung of a round being chambered they'll run for the hills.
DooM
+28|6324
AR-15 works well. Or if your accurate then an RPG, then all you have to do is clean up, but it'll send a warning im sure.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6698|Disaster Free Zone

NaferiouS wrote:

mcminty wrote:

not intirely, you just gotta jump thru 6oo hoops and have a degree in beurocracy bullshit to get ur licence
Still illegal to use for 'protection'.

Po0PO0 wrote:

God Bless Australia!! Unlike, Stupid America we can spell and don't need guns for protection because we live in a much nicer country.
Magpie
international welder....Douchebag Dude, <3 ur mom
+257|6544|Milkystania, yurop
Things you can get

Security door(s)

Security bars

Alarm system

Check out your windows cause there is nothing more amusing then somebody who has a ubersecurity house and who has used locks that even an complete idiot could open with a pocketknife.

CCTV system tag your Windows and door out with stickers informing about their presence (to scare away potential thieves)

a firearm should always be the last resort, think preventative.

Good luck mate

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard